Welcome to Metal Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to stalk this  
Stalkers 0
RelentlessOblivion

Greatest Bassists

44 posts in this topic

Re: Greatest Bassists I don't know if I'd put Ellefson on this list. He's never done anything too remarkable to me. I'm sure he's a great player but I think Dave probably keeps him in check.

Guys, guys please listen to Primus. Their bassist Les Claypool its like WTF?! Is this even human?! And I know Flea its not in the Metal Scene but we can't ignore he is fucking awesome at the bass. And Steve Harris is so fucking good at it too, Lemmy its a regular bass player because he plays like guitar but he is good. And about Dave Ellefson from Megadeth I can't say too much about him, I jsut can say the bass riffs from Peace Sells are INSANE!

Guys' date=' guys please listen to Primus. Their bassist Les Claypool its like WTF?! Is this even human?! And I know Flea its not in the Metal Scene but we can't ignore he is fucking awesome at the bass. And Steve Harris is so fucking good at it too, Lemmy its a regular bass player because he plays like guitar but he is good. And about Dave Ellefson from Megadeth I can't say too much about him, I jsut can say the bass riffs from Peace Sells are INSANE![/quote'] I'm not a fan of Primus, but Claypool was in the metal band Blind Illusion in the 80's, and they did make some cool progressive thrash with great bass lines.

Les isn't good' date=' he got lucky. I find his style mostly annoying.[/quote'] Listen to Blind Illusion before you bash him.

Re: Greatest Bassists

I was wondering if that was any good.
It is, so you probably wouldn't like it. :cool: Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Gotta say Steve Harris. His technical prowess, songwriting, and innovation are unparalleled. Steve Digiorgio also comes to mind-- the dude has been in so many bands and he's contributed greatly to the sound of all of them.

Digiorgio is fucking great. Other than people who've already been covered, Tony Choy (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence) needs a mention here. Tony Levin doesn't play metal, but his bass and stick playing with King Crimson is amazing. Obviously Geddy Lee, another prog rock player who's had a lot of influence on metal. Dan Lilker (Anthrax, Brutal Truth) isn't a technical giant but he's been behind some awesome music. And Colin Marston (Gorguts, Dysrhythmia, Behold The Arctopus) has turned in some of the most inventive bass I've heard in years, world class stuff.

Two other sick players from NYC, who I don't think would ever put themselves in the "greatest bassists"category but are doing great stuff, are Nick McMaster (Krallice, Geryon, ex-Castevet) and Jon Ehlers (Bangladeafy).

Linus from obscura forest formely of beyond creation  plays awsome fretless bass linus plays a 7 string fretless bass forest plays a six string fretless bass pretty awsome playing

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Digiorgio is fucking great. Other than people who've already been covered, Tony Choy (Atheist, Cynic, Pestilence) needs a mention here. Tony Levin doesn't play metal, but his bass and stick playing with King Crimson is amazing. Obviously Geddy Lee, another prog rock player who's had a lot of influence on metal. Dan Lilker (Anthrax, Brutal Truth) isn't a technical giant but he's been behind some awesome music. And Colin Marston (Gorguts, Dysrhythmia, Behold The Arctopus) has turned in some of the most inventive bass I've heard in years, world class stuff.

Two other sick players from NYC, who I don't think would ever put themselves in the "greatest bassists"category but are doing great stuff, are Nick McMaster (Krallice, Geryon, ex-Castevet) and Jon Ehlers (Bangladeafy).

Hell yeah, gotta love Marston!

Orion (Behemoth), Charles Mingus, Paul Simonon (The Clash), John Entwistle (The Who), Lemmy, Joe Lally (Fugazi), Mike Watt (Minutemen), Robert Trujillo (Suicidal Tendencies/Metallica)

I don't like RHCP or Korn, but damn they have great bassists

Carol Kaye from the wrecking crew which recorded so much of the iconic music form the 60's, and late 50's I think, deserves mentioning (even if she did play with a pick). And while we are at it with women I'd say Tina Weymouth is an amazingly great bassist (I had to look her name up, but I've been listening to a fabulous talking heads album at work and the whole purpose of that fabulous band is to provide a vehicle for her bass). Another bassist I had to look up the name of last night after watching some of Mark Boland's old show Mark, is the bassist for T-Rex at least when that show was getting made whose name is "Herbie" Flowers, I learned from wikipedia that he has played on 500 hit recordings some for famously elite artists like Bowie and McCartney and such, he also recorded the bass-line for "jump Into the Fire" by Harry Nilsson which ought to be heard by people who care about bass-lines. 

On the metal side, who knows how well Candelmass's leader and bassist Leif Edling plays because you can not hear him, which kills me about Candlemass because I fuckling love the band, Why Such A Low Bass Track? So regardless of his playing there is no one cooler.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here He is with Avatarium.

1e94aaef096b8fe71276a0c5c5b970ec.jpg

quote-i-don-t-want-to-wreck-my-voice-i-l

herbie%20on%20Marc.jpg