How many of you are using spotify?

becka80

I really hate Spotify. Bandcamp and YouTube are great for checking out new music. I buy music either through Bandcamp or (for physical purchases of stuff that isn't on BC) I'll look for CDs on themetaldetektor.com. I'll put CDs on in the car, or occasionally in my studio room, but mostly I buy digital or rip the albums and listen on my phone or computer.

• 2 weeks later...

Only today I was saying to my other half about canceling my Spotify, After many years of listening to music on the platform I found I don't get any enjoyment out of using it anymore. I want to start building my music collection back up.

However I can see why people would want to us it. its easy and you can pretty much find most artist's on there but if you listen to more underground genre of music you will have a harder time.

I will be the odd one out then, I use Spotify every single day with out fail, Have done for years. Great music selection, granted some of the more underground stuff is not on it but a lot of the what I would class as underground stuff I listen to is. I still use YouTube, Bandcamp and buy Vinyl but I would say 90% of the music I listen to is through Spotify. 

I have a huge physical music collection so it is not like I haven't supported the respective bands/scenes over the years. 

• 2 months later...

I'm using spotify daily. You can say, I use more often than youtube or other programs. Even if I'm an meme fan, what means I use YouTube a lot. I don't pay nothing for spotify, btw. No ads, infinite skips and just peace out. I've seted up pretty good equalizer, so I can listen to music in very good quality. You can even listen to it through some cheap 3 euro earbuds and will still feel every note, everything. Well, of course I do doubt that things wont change if I would buy myself some 50/70 euro earphones, but I don't quiet care right now. 

For me spotify is big thing, because it just has everything I need. Albums, LPS, EPS, mixtapes n shit. For my musical taste it has everything I would need. Of course, there is some music that is not in spotify, but I wish it would be there. But I don't worry. I just go in YouTube, download it and just listen. 

So, quality is great, choice for me there is very huge. Favorite artists/genres etc. I can easy say that spotify really made me listen to more good music than youtube did. It just creates those daily mixes, and you begin finding new bands/songs, and your musical journey goes on.  

Since I'm a teen, I still don't own car (soon will, I hope so), I don't really worry about listening to music in car, but even then, I would not need CD's in car. I really think it's just an hobby to collect music in CD's. And since I can stream music from spotify, and I do it for free - I don't have to worry at all. I'm using every chance to spend less money on such things. And no, I don't think it's not right, I just know where I have to spend more cash and where not. I prefer carrying music in pocket more than keeping it in room/PC. Phone is always with me, plug it to speakers and rock on.

And no, I don't mean that musicians don't deserve to be payed. Well, rappers these days really don't deserve shit for what they're doing (says rap fan ;d), but musicians who work with instruments and voice (good singers n shit) really do, but they already get what they need to since they go on tours/perform for people, sell records worldwide. I don't want to be that "only asshole in village" but in meantime - I don't have enough money to support my favorite musicians. Who knows, - maybe one day I will be father with 3 kids, long beard, glasses, boring office job and full room of CD's (I really hope no).

Anyways, sorry for my language mistakes ;d 

I don't use spotify, but I have people in my ear raving about it. One of them posts on this forum...

I'm just not up to date with the latest fancy things like this. I buy CDs and consider myself a collector, although I do tend to listen to youtube if I can't be bothered going up to grab the CD out of the collection. The thought of actually having a paid thing on my phone to listen to things is anathema to me. 

Still, it's clearly useful, and I'm thinking about it. I'm still somewhat resentful of the concept that we can listen to nearly everything that has ever been released without actually owning it. I know this isn't just the way of the future, but the way of the present, but damn I just don't know about it. 

I used to use spotify regularly until they changed the way it operated. Now I default to YouTube if I'm on the go or my record player if I am at home. I definitely enjoy the ritual of going to the record store and to me there is no substitute for vinyl. However, to keep on topic, no I do not currently use spotify.

1 hour ago, Ikard said:

I used to use spotify regularly until they changed the way it operated. Now I default to YouTube if I'm on the go or my record player if I am at home. I definitely enjoy the ritual of going to the record store and to me there is no substitute for vinyl. However, to keep on topic, no I do not currently use spotify.

Even though I buy 90% of my CDs online I do still love going into a store and perusing the shelves. It's becoming a much more limited activity these days unfortunately considering the closure of music stores, but it's still a pleasure I pursue regularly. The only problem is that the store that do still operate have a limited metal section that is, laughable for True Belief and me, make up mostly of Deep Purple albums...

15 hours ago, Requiem said:

Even though I buy 90% of my CDs online I do still love going into a store and perusing the shelves. It's becoming a much more limited activity these days unfortunately considering the closure of music stores, but it's still a pleasure I pursue regularly. The only problem is that the store that do still operate have a limited metal section that is, laughable for True Belief and me, make up mostly of Deep Purple albums...

Hopefully not just the newish one they put out without Blackmore that sounds like what I wrongly anticipated Priest's Reaper of Souls to sound like lol.

I use Spotify almost on a daily basis (on my PC and iPad) and it works like a charm. Unlike mobile's version, it is much more reliable. You can actually choose which songs you want to listen and ads only pop up once in a while. Streaming quality is pretty good too, so no use buying the premium counterpart unless you are very selective about that. The only issue is perhaps the fact album dates/titles can get messy (eg: they swapped two Immolation songs from Unholy Cult). Also you can't find stuff like Grand Belial's Key, Peste Noire or Arghoslent, but that's another story. 

4 hours ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Premium, but only when it comes up with the offer of 3 months for 0.99p, (yes seriously.) Theres a reason why I have had 4 accounts :D

Just converted that into USD just for shits and giggles and it came out to $1.27. Not bad. 

4 hours ago, MattCantina said:

I use Spotify almost on a daily basis (on my PC and iPad) and it works like a charm. Unlike mobile's version, it is much more reliable. You can actually choose which songs you want to listen and ads only pop up once in a while. Streaming quality is pretty good too, so no use buying the premium counterpart unless you are very selective about that. The only issue is perhaps the fact album dates/titles can get messy (eg: they swapped two Immolation songs from Unholy Cult). Also you can't find stuff like Grand Belial's Key, Peste Noire or Arghoslent, but that's another story. 

This was my main complaint but if it still functions to where I can choose the song I wish to listen to on PC I may return to it.

2018 was the year i started using Spotify. I think it's great for listening to full albums / new releases that aren't on youtube or soundcloud, bandcamp, etc yet. It's a great streaming platform, and i have dropped my own music on there. I also like creating playlists and using the shuffle play to listen to a band/artists discography for several hours. Lots of older bands have strict record labels, so Spotify is one of the few streaming services that provides their work (Led Zeppelin for example) 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use spotify at work/outside and CDs at Home. Buy digital releases I love over bandcamp. I also use last.fm to simultaniously play my CDs muted for scrobbling to Spotify +the labels and bands get a little money from that. (I, don't pay for my Premium btw, If I Had to I would not use it). Of course real underground bands are not on spotify, bandcamp or the Like so I just rip the CDs then.

• 10 months later...

I don't use spotify I like my MP3s and Waves. I still have my CD collection but I can keep getting physical copies (I tend to keep it to my most favorites) because Space is an issue.  I like have the files since you never know when something is going to be taken down or harder to get off the webs, hel I still use Wimamp, I like it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I really hate Spotify. Bandcamp and YouTube are great for checking out new music. I buy music either through Bandcamp or (for physical purchases of stuff that isn't on BC) I'll look for CDs on themetaldetektor.com. I'll put CDs on in the car, or occasionally in my studio room, but mostly I buy digital or rip the albums and listen on my phone or computer.

Pleased others use band camp too. I buy alot of my stuff from this and haven't really used Spotify. I got an account but haven't used it much. Less is more for me.  I like building a collection too which I can come back to again and again plus I like to support bands more. In truth not sure if bands earn much more from band camp but I sometimes use patreon which I assume can be good for bands.  I do buy new albums but generally I listen to it before on you tube or band camp before buying.