What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Going to back back to a couple of albums I picked up early in 2021-

Spelljammer/Abyssal Trip and Asphyx/Necroceros

Hitting some recent pick ups-/converge and Chelsea Wolfe/Blood Moon which I've warmed up to, WITR/Primordial Arcana, Hooded Menace/ The Tritonus Bell, Succumb/XXI 

One of my favorite non metal experimental albums of 2021-Linguna Ignota/ Sinner Get Ready

checking out a few more new albums most of which I knew wouldn't be my jam, but still had check out a few tracks for confirmation bias and some peaked my interest:

Acehammer/A Dream of Wilderness-ugh

Unto Others/Strength

Carcass/Torn Arteries

LINN/Unmaker

Green Lung/Black Harvest

Vola/Witness- ugh #2 or maybe that's oof...I like plenty of prog, but this albums epitomizes the kind of prog AMG ooze over that do nothing for me.

Old Nick/ A New Generation Of Vampiric Conspiracies-this guy must have put out 10 albums this year ffs

Lotta ooof in that post Marky Mark. Aephanemer was indeed uber cringe. Take all the worst aspects of melodeath and power metal and put them in a blender. Old Nick was a sad act. Didn't have the balls to try out Vola given your description. But I did stay with that Green Lung a bit longer than I'd like to admit, for several tracks, groovy commercial power chord hard rock with a stoner slant and Deep Purple organs. Nothing I would buy but ultimately those vocals really got to me, I was trying to get used to the dude in the verses but those harmonized choruses which were much too uplifting were no bueno. Unto Others was interesting even if it's not quite my thing. Was wondering while it was playing if maybe 30 years ago back in my Sisters of Mercy days I might've really liked some of that album. But then they lost me with that awful "Downtown" track. Those Lazy Lions who Need Nature seemed to be right up your alley though, slow moving post-sludge somewhere between Primitive Man and Neurosis. Bet you grabbed that one at least. 

As for me, tonight I've been trying to listen to some more of the December stuff I've missed over the last couple of weeks. Not sure why but it almost seems like a lot of bands have been waiting to release their shit and now they're rushing to get it in before the end of the year.

Úlfarr - The Ruins of Human Failure, UKBM

Coraxul - Vihavirsiä Aamunkoin, Finland

Kriegzeit - Hateworship, Finland

Aegrus - The Carnal Temples, Finland

Vexev - Et Demitte Cruorem In Caprum Emissarium, raw bm Italia

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Earlier, STARER - 18 Below the Horizon. I read a review that said they were a USBM counterpart to Drudkh. They're not.

Agreed. I like this album a lot (actually listening to it right now. I hear a little Judas Iscariot, maybe some Weakling, and a smattering of other acts, but I don't see the Drudkh comparison.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Lotta ooof in that post Marky Mark. Aephanemer was indeed uber cringe. Take all the worst aspects of melodeath and power metal and put them in a blender. Old Nick was a sad act. Didn't have the balls to try out Vola given your description. But I did stay with that Green Lung a bit longer than I'd like to admit, for several tracks, groovy commercial power chord hard rock with a stoner slant and Deep Purple organs. Nothing I would buy but ultimately those vocals really got to me, I was trying to get used to the dude in the verses but those harmonized choruses which were much too uplifting were no bueno. Unto Others was interesting even if it's not quite my thing. Was wondering while it was playing if maybe 30 years ago back in my Sisters of Mercy days I might've really liked some of that album. But then they lost me with that awful "Downtown" track. Those Lazy Lions who Need Nature seemed to be right up your alley though, slow moving post-sludge somewhere between Primitive Man and Neurosis. Bet you grabbed that one at least. 

As for me, tonight I've been trying to listen to some more of the December stuff I've missed over the last couple of weeks. Not sure why but it almost seems like a lot of bands have been waiting to release their shit and now they're rushing to get it in before the end of the year.

Green Lung isn't bad and on paper should be great relative to my tastes, but it's not quite clicking yet. I used to love alot of retro 70's stoner fare and THM along the lines of Witchcraft, Dawnbringer, etc. I've either outgrown that genre or these just aren't quite sticking the landing. I don't love Unto Others but get the appeal. I like plenty of "goth".  Giving Khemmis and Helloween another go.....Khemmis.

Khemmis is another band I should like as I can do clean doom. The new one may be their strongest but something about the vocals is a little too smooth similar to my reaction to Pallbearer and even Monolord. The sound is somehow flat-yet that's not quite the right word. The newer stuff doesn't click the way Electric Wizard and YOB, even Windhand do. My go to for big riff doom with stoner tendencies in 21 would be Spelljammer.  And Helloween is Helloween....

@markm we have quite a lot of overlap so when you name a few bands that don't quite click, but then one that does, i.e. Spelljammer, I check it oot. Like it. Very Yobbish. Can go into wishlist for Bandcamp Friday purchase.

I am sure I tried Green Lung and it may even be in the 50 album deep wishlist somewhere but it can't have bowled me over.

I have Khemmis Hunted on vinyl but they were just too popular so I stopped there. I went through a brief Pallbearer phase but, I swear to the goat, I haven't listened to them since I saw them live in a basement in Auckland in 2018. I 'member one of the guitarists yelling at the soundman and just thought he was a primadonna dick so I stopped listening. When you see a band live they are supposed to kick your arse and convert you for life.

King Buffalo is my favourite band this week. Extremely consistent over the discog, even if a little samey. 

12 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

@markm we have quite a lot of overlap so when you name a few bands that don't quite click, but then one that does, i.e. Spelljammer, I check it oot. Like it. Very Yobbish. Can go into wishlist for Bandcamp Friday purchase.

I am sure I tried Green Lung and it may even be in the 50 album deep wishlist somewhere but it can't have bowled me over.

I have Khemmis Hunted on vinyl but they were just too popular so I stopped there. I went through a brief Pallbearer phase but, I swear to the goat, I haven't listened to them since I saw them live in a basement in Auckland in 2018. I 'member one of the guitarists yelling at the soundman and just thought he was a primadonna dick so I stopped listening. When you see a band live they are supposed to kick your arse and convert you for life.

King Buffalo is my favourite band this week. Extremely consistent over the discog, even if a little samey. 

I wasn't particularly impressed with Pallbearer live either. Got the same feeling as you that they were a bit aloof. Besides, the other bands on the bill were significantly better. Can't say I've ever bother listening to any of their albums.

I have that Spelljammer, but honestly forgot it existed until Mark mentioned it. Another purchase that got play for a week and then disappeared into the bowels of my collection. I'll give it a spin later and see if I can remember why I bought it.

Khemmis was good live when I saw them last August, but their albums don't do much for me. I did get the Green Lung album. Fun stuff to play while drinking beers with the guys or out hitting a few balls on the golf course, nothing more. Probably could have lived with just streaming it now and then.

NP: The Cure - Disintegration