What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Pakkt - To Brocken Heights Where Witches Dance, German black metal. The word Brocken bugs me I want it to say Broken, but I think it's the name of a place there is a mountain by the name of Brocken which is the highest peak in northern Germany. 

Funeral Chant - Dawn of Annihilation, crusty black/death from Oakland, California

Ceress - Silence at the Cursed Fortress, riffy Brazilian black metal, album is up on Youtube chopped up into separate videos, not gonna post 'em all but this will figure into my listmaking for sure. No label, not on BC, had to hunt around a little but I finally found it digitally on Amazon for $8.91

3 hours ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

MOLLY HATCHET - Molly Hatchet

....one of my all time favourite debut records.....

Just wouldn't feel like summertime without Molly Hatchet's first two. Just like it wouldn't feel like winter without black metal.

23 hours ago, markm said:

On it goes...this is what you get if you wait until the midnight hour to listen to new metal for the year. Think I'm getting near the end of my list listening....we'll see. 

Arkhtinn/二度目の災害-There's been so much atmoblack over COVID-I'm just atmoblack over saturated.

King Buffalo/The Burden of Restlessness

Kuaun/Ice Fleet

Empyrium/Über den Sternen

Cannibal Corpse/Violence Unimagined

Funeral Mist/Deiform-Glad to see this one get some praise on a couple of No Clean Singing guest lists

But wait, there's more...

Fluids/Not Dark Yet

Tribal Gaze/Godless Voyage

Thorn/Crawling Worship

Steel Bearing Hand/Slay in Hell

That Fluids album while probably not going to make the cut and wind up on my final list, is still very good and strangely addicting.

I believe the new Steel Bearing Hand though will almost certainly be on my list.

Took about a week off from new music hunting in a deliberate attempt to spend some quality time with my 2021 stuff for the express purpose of ranking it. And of course there was Christmas and everything, and now I feel like I'm hopelessly lost. Found a couple of things just this evening with only 74 hours left in the year which will need some more critical listening to see where they might fit into the overall scheme of things. As always, I already have more list-worthy albums than I wanted to have on my list so I'd really like to be done discovering shit from this year asap. But I can't help myself, I'm sure I'll continue to find more stuff for the next several weeks at least.

Like Mark, there are times when I can start to feel like I'm all atmo'd out. And I did see that this one had been posted already, but it's just so fucking good...

Albionic Hermeticism - Psalms to the Father, from the UK originally, dude has since moved to France.

16 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

That Fluids album while probably not going to make the cut and wind up on my final list, is still very good and strangely addicting.

I believe the new Steel Bearing Hand though will almost certainly be on my list.

It's good, don't think it will make my purchase cut list, but right now very much enjoying: 

Demiser/ Through the Gates of the Eternal for some fun blasphemous black thrash

and in the DM field...grooving on 

diabolizer/khalkedonian death -that's serving up my platter of brutal (for me) meat and potatoes DM-

Gatecreeper/An Unexpected Reality-more of an ole school Swedish meatballs

Outre-Tombe/Abysse Mortifere-prolly gonna get thisunaswell for some more primitive knuckle draggin' I need 'bout now. 

Rahu - The Quest for the Vajra of Shadows, 2012 Finland. So glad I decided to dial this one up. How do you drop a sparkley jewel like this and then for the next decade nothing? Suppose he's concentrating his efforts on CoO. I enjoy CoO a bit but not nearly as much as Navy and the good Father say they do. But now this, is a fucking masterpiece. Stunning. Give me more like this please.

I put these two albums together in a post because they've both drifited well into commercial sounding territory. Now these aren't major label releases by any stretch, Wound's on Van Records and Diabolizer's on Everlasting Spew. I wouldn't quite call them overproduced, but both come across sounding much bigger budget and more polished and professional than almost anything I'd generally listen to. Commercially viable if you will. This gave me pause with both of them initially, but once I managed to get past the initial production shock, gave them a chance and got into the back halves of them, both of these albums turned out to be undeniably good. Of course I realize that polished professional sounding albums wouldn't necessarily be a negative for most of you, but traditionally they have been for me. Death metal's not supposed to sound polished and pretty, that's an oxymoron and I've generally dismissed most of these kinds of commercial sounding albums out of hand without giving them a second thought. So now I don't really know if the fact that I dig these albums says more about them, or more about me. There's a fine line between reproducing a band's sound clearly so that you can hear all the little details in what all the instruments are playing, and making a record that sounds too polished and overproduced. It's no easy task to make a death metal album that sounds polished and commercial but still keep it heavy and aggressive without neutering it and rendering it completely impotent.

Wound - Serpent Crown, German death metal

Diabolizer - Khalkedonian Death, Turkish death metal

Exodus - Persona Non Grata

Have to confess to being presently surprised by this.  You can tell it is written by Holt nearly exclusively (Altus writes one track also) as it is so riff and sonics driven.  Souza has never sounded better in all honesty.  Too long at an hours run time though and this exposes the inconsistency present but there are some superb tracks on here (Prescribing Horror and The Years of Death and Dying) and this is a solid thrash album in a lite year for lots of quality thrash metal.