What Are You Listening To?

khaos

23 minutes ago, True Belief said:

Spectral Wound - A Diabolical Thirst

I'd been convinced for many months that this savage slice of Quebecois Noir had things all sewn up and was going to coast across the finsih line as my #1 aoty, but it seems it has been unceremoniously unseated at the 11th hour. Still a great album though.

Mantas - Death by Metal, Demo 1984, these demos are way better than any Death album ever made in this man's humble opinion.

Death - Reign of Terror, Demo 1984

Death - Mutilation, Demo 1986

Death - Leprosy Demos 1987

28 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'd been convinced for many months that this savage slice of Quebecois Noir had things all sewn up and was going to coast across the finsih line as my #1 aoty, but it seems it has been unceremoniously unseated at the 11th hour. Still a great album though.

Mantas - Death by Metal, Demo 1984, these demos are way better than any Death album ever made in this man's humble opinion.

Death - Reign of Terror, Demo 1984

Death - Mutilation, Demo 1986

Death - Leprosy Demos 1987

I think their later stuff rules but I dig the old demos as well. Kinda odd since I don't really connect with the first two albums, maybe it's the sound quality.

19 minutes ago, Innominate said:

Danzig - 4p

Such a good album. Used to listen to it a ton. I haven't cared for a single thing he did after that... From my perspective, the best thing that came from him firing everyone was that I got to see Chuck Biscuits filling in on tour with Type O Negative.

13 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

@markm we have quite a lot of overlap so when you name a few bands that don't quite click, but then one that does, i.e. Spelljammer, I check it oot. Like it. Very Yobbish. Can go into wishlist for Bandcamp Friday purchase.

I am sure I tried Green Lung and it may even be in the 50 album deep wishlist somewhere but it can't have bowled me over.

I have Khemmis Hunted on vinyl but they were just too popular so I stopped there. I went through a brief Pallbearer phase but, I swear to the goat, I haven't listened to them since I saw them live in a basement in Auckland in 2018. I 'member one of the guitarists yelling at the soundman and just thought he was a primadonna dick so I stopped listening. When you see a band live they are supposed to kick your arse and convert you for life.

King Buffalo is my favourite band this week. Extremely consistent over the discog, even if a little samey. 

Agreed, Jon! We definitely have a fair amount of overlap. I listened in the car again today to Khemmis. The album doesn't suck by any means, I just find them rather dull. Scratch that one off. And another go at Green Lung. It's solid. I've picked 35-40 albums between Bandcamp and physical purchases in my end of year 2021 catch up-blitz splurge and I'm about tapped out. Green Lung doesn't feel like a mandatory 21 essential, but a good retro album . got around to King Buffalo's new one last week after seeing them on some lists. Enjoyable for sure. 

At this point, I'm just listening to some Bandcamp stuff I've seen from my feed

Tonight:

Arkhtinn-二度目の災害-been popping up on my Feed-second time for this atmo black album. 

So HIdeous/None but a Pure Heart Can Sing-another title that's popped up somewhere on my feed-kind of a WTF album with no context...

Auld Ridge/Consanguineous Hymns of Faith and Famine-Pretty sure this was from Surgical Brute on Bandcamp-sounds like one of his anyway.....quite interesting BM

3 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Such a good album. Used to listen to it a ton. I haven't cared for a single thing he did after that... From my perspective, the best thing that came from him firing everyone was that I got to see Chuck Biscuits filling in on tour with Type O Negative.

I saw him this year with Tommy Victor and Johnny Kelly. Put on a banging show. Would have loved to see Chuck Biscuits and John Christ, but you takes what you get. 

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Oh, that was the guy who couldn't be bothered to get all his candles straight. I look forward to finding out your number 1.

I did also enjoy those Death demos. That's pretty fargin' heavy for 1984. Amazing that sticking a boombox in a practice room was sufficient for a "demo" back then. Like, a 4 track Tascam and a few microphones didn't cost that much if you were going to actually "release" your music on the world - albeit via underground tape trading.

But...this was my first demo from 93 or so. The music was actually made up on the spot and the drummer went back through the jam tapes and noticed it sounded like a coherent song, so wrote some lyrics and added his vocals. Otherwise, yes it was a boombox in a practice room.

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Oh, that was the guy who couldn't be bothered to get all his candles straight. I look forward to finding out your number 1.

I did also enjoy those Death demos. That's pretty fargin' heavy for 1984. Amazing that sticking a boombox in a practice room was sufficient for a "demo" back then. Like, a 4 track Tascam and a few microphones didn't cost that much if you were going to actually "release" your music on the world - albeit via underground tape trading.

But...this was my first demo from 93 or so. The music was actually made up on the spot and the drummer went back through the jam tapes and noticed it sounded like a coherent song, so wrote some lyrics and added his vocals. Otherwise, yes it was a boombox in a practice room.

I love my Tascam cassette 4-track machine. Life wouldn't have been the same without that thing. I think I started trying to record in 93 too. I used to hang a single mic in front of my kit and try to play a song structure on drums, then go back and come up with guitar and vocal parts later. A friend and I would also do impromptu "necro" black metal recordings with a drum machine. More recently I recorded some great drum samples to make a virtual "kit" that I still program with when needed. I even used the thing for performance stuff in college, I had four different tracks of odd vocal and guitar noises that I faded in and out and panned around the room for a "sculpture" piece.

8 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

A Diabolic Thirst | SPECTRAL WOUND

C'mon Jon-O, don'tcha know it's not kvlt to have your candles all straight up and down perfectly perpendicular like the normies and poseurs do?

I can tell ya right now you won't like my #1 so don't hold your breath.

NP: Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Speaking of which-on Sonos speakers, in my drive and in my ears today:

Kuaun/ice fleet-beautiful sounding post with an barely an ounce of black

Lingua Ignota/Sinner Get Ready

Pupil Slicer/Mirrors

Mastodon/Hushed and Grim

Ethereal Shroud/Trisagion

Hooded Menace/Tritonus Bell

Dream Unending/Tide Turns Eternal