What's on your mind?

Apoc

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Just posting to show I am still alive. Started week 2 of a new job, hence been scarce around these parts. 

Have been piecing together recent posts, mainly Navy in Vegas from the looks. Let me know if I missed any controversy.

Not much metal to report. I bashed out an albums' worth of vocals on Saturday morning in a local studio. Was pretty blown out afterwards. For the first time I felt sympathy for Mike Åkerfeldt not doing death growls anymore. At some point they do disappear and you start to sound like the guy from Liabach. Which is cool in itself, but not the sound you're going for.

Tickets to The Ocean and LLNN (heavier version of Cult of Luna - Mark first put me onto them) this Saturday at local pub. To be honest I haven't heard much of The Ocean and unlikely to become an expert by the weekend so will just wait and see if they wow me and get inspired to check out further.  

An album's worth of vocals in a day is fucking tough. Good stuff dude.

Laibach is utterly ridiculous.

_____

Our sick old cat finally breathed her last this morning. She was tough as nails and fought as long as she could, but the last few hours were peaceful. We're happy that she isn't suffering, obviously sad but not devastated because it's been such a long time coming. Still fucking pissed at the vet for the shit they pulled a few weeks ago, though. We will probably find another vet for our new kitties.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Our sick old cat finally breathed her last this morning. She was tough as nails and fought as long as she could, but the last few hours were peaceful. We're happy that she isn't suffering, obviously sad but not devastated because it's been such a long time coming. Still fucking pissed at the vet for the shit they pulled a few weeks ago, though. We will probably find another vet for our new kitties.

Condolences.  Have been through this recently also.  Hard to put in to words how knowing it is inevitable eases the blow.  It is like the shittiest prep that just organically happens.  Our vets is a fair trek away and is terrible for parking but they did so much for my two recently departed ones that I would never consider moving to a more local one.

17 minutes ago, MacabreEternal said:

Condolences.  Have been through this recently also.  Hard to put in to words how knowing it is inevitable eases the blow.  It is like the shittiest prep that just organically happens.  Our vets is a fair trek away and is terrible for parking but they did so much for my two recently departed ones that I would never consider moving to a more local one.

So true. We've been saying goodbye to this one for a long time, and actually thought she was gone a couple of times. Both amazed to watch her hang on and saddened to watch her go downhill as much as she did, I wish I could have spared her the last few weeks. At least it was peaceful.

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

A good vet is definitely a thing worth hanging onto.

Sorry that you've now lost both your cats in a short period of time FA. Hope your kiddos are dealing with it well. And I hope the new kitties are adjusting well to being part of the Alabaster family. 

Thank you man. My son doesn't handle this kind of thing well at all. At least he knew it was coming, and saw her being sick and frail, and hopefully understands that she's better off out of her misery.

The new kitties are awesome and they're doing great. I had forgotten what it was like to have young, energetic cats around. They're sweet and well-behaved, and it only took a few days for them to get used to one another; now they're great friends and chase each other all over the apartment playing. It does us all some good to see them being happy. Here they are:

gnWaYKx.jpg

1 hour ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that man, but I'm glad she's at peace.

...and yeah, man. A good vet is worth their weight in gold. The one we were using originally for my 2 boys, when they got their first rabies/whatever that other shot is they get as kittens, I thought the idiot had killed one of them. He was shivering and shaking all night, wouldn't eat anything and was barely moving. Scared the hell out of me and I've never bothered going back there again. Took them to the vet my wife's family always used after that, and they've been awesome with all of our animals so far. Totally worth the extra drive time.

The new kitties are awesome and they're doing great. I had forgotten what it was like to have young, energetic cats around.

Young ones are absolutely the best. Everything is new and exciting for them...even when they're getting into shit they shouldn't they're hysterical to have around

I'm just so happy they integrated well and quickly. The calico/tabby girl was a bit freaked out and threatened when the black one came home, but within a few days she figured out that he just wanted to play... nonstop. He's only 8 months old and has already become her surrogate kitten even though he's bigger than she is. Pretty adorable. And they're both snugglers. And holy shit, they eat a lot.

46 minutes ago, SurgicalBrute said:

The one we were using originally for my 2 boys, when they got their first rabies/whatever that other shot is they get as kittens, I thought the idiot had killed one of them. He was shivering and shaking all night, wouldn't eat anything and was barely moving. Scared the hell out of me and I've never bothered going back there again.

That's fucking horrifying. I've never seen a cat react to shots that way. He's ok now though, I hope?

That's fucking horrifying. I've never seen a cat react to shots that way. He's ok now though, I hope?

He is thankfully...they're both strong and healthy now, but it shouldn't have happened. That vet was an an absolute dumbass. They were both sick as little kittens, basically they'd had the human equivalent of a respiratory infection, and they were just getting over that and were finally feeling better. We took them in for their follow up visit, and she told us we should do their shots. So we figured being a vet she knew what she was talking about and let her do it. The one did fine, he slept a lot, but that was it, but my other guy had that bad reaction. Way our current vet explained it was that the shots are like allergy shots, so they can build anitbodies, and his system got a bit too overwhelmed after having already been sick.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm just so happy they integrated well and quickly. The calico/tabby girl was a bit freaked out and threatened when the black one came home, but within a few days she figured out that he just wanted to play... nonstop. He's only 8 months old and has already become her surrogate kitten even though he's bigger than she is. Pretty adorable. And they're both snugglers. And holy shit, they eat a lot.

That's awesome. My oldest cat does not like her younger brothers, so we make sure she's the only one allowed in our bedroom, just so she has a place to relax away from them.

10 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

An album's worth of vocals in a day is fucking tough. Good stuff dude.

Laibach is utterly ridiculous.

_____

Very sorry for your loss, was there with our dog recently....it's so hard....yet sometimes you know the sands of time are running low. Watching our pets pass sucks. 

Bloody businesses in this country (probably around the world) are really getting slack now days. I know everyone is busy and quick responses to emails are generally a thing of the past but some of these business are really taking the piss. I've been in an email argument with the bank for several weeks now, partly because it's not overly important but also because email gives me a paper trail. But it takes them 4 business days to respond to every email, it used to be 48 hours. Just now I emailed my power company because they are not sending me bills and their automated response said that it will take 15-20 business days to get a response. Up to 3 weeks for a response to an email, it's no wonder people think service is shit!

I'm not the biggest pulled pork fan, especially if I'm not the one cooking it. If I am however, I'll eat it for days. Best thing I've bought in a long time was a Big Green Egg. I thought they were overrated and ridiculously expensive, but I'm here to tell you that they are worth every bit of money they cost. Not a weekend goes by that there's not a butt, slab of ribs, brisket, something on it. Used more than my oven, and I cook a lot.

I haven't done pulled pork for years, partly because of the cooking effort. For us it's another one of those meals that takes nearly an hour to prepare, and nearly an hour to deal with between cooked and serve. Including cooking time it's an entire day task so I tend to I loose interest in doing it too often.

12 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

On my mind? Mosquitoes, and how much I fucking hate. I don’t even know where the pricks are coming from but it seems like for everyone I manage to kill two more take its place…

We don't get mosquitoes much in Canberra. Too cold much of the year, and it used to be too dry. Bloody wet these days so we shall see.

Growing up in Sydney mossies were a menace.

3 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

I haven't done pulled pork for years, partly because of the cooking effort. For us it's another one of those meals that takes nearly an hour to prepare, and nearly an hour to deal with between cooked and serve. Including cooking time it's an entire day task so I tend to I loose interest in doing it too often.

Total cooking time today, 10 hours. I certainly understand people not wanting to go to that trouble. Definitely an all day effort.

34 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Total cooking time today, 10 hours. I certainly understand people not wanting to go to that trouble. Definitely an all day effort.

Yeah I usually start prepping mine about 8am, cook it till about 5pm, rest it for 20 mins then start wrecking it. The ones I do are using about 3KG and it takes me about 40 mins to separate it, then sauce it ready for eating.