What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Christmas is next week already, holy shit. Odered the kid a Nintendo Switch and 3 games from Wal-Mart dot com last night so my Christmas shopping is officially done now, easy peasy. Now that that's done I can begin the process of attempting to sort my shit out in earnest, in preparation for the compilation of my lists. But there's just so many albums on my preliminary lists I don't even know where to start. I have over 50 black metal albums on my "short" list (out of 135) I'm gonna need to trim that down to 25 or 30. I'm thinking getting it down to about 40 should be easy enough but it's those last 10 or 15 cuts that will feel like chosing which of my children to throw overboard. I have purchased 78 death metal albums and have a working list of 30 favorites from which I will select a top 20. Black/death and black/thrash lists are both currently under 10 so I'll just incorporate the highlights into my death & black metal lists respectively. My goal is to have them ready to go before the end of January. WIsh me luck, I'm gonna need it. 

Putrefiance - Left to Decay, France...just noticed this was released in 2020 so there's one less death metal album to worry about.

Spellblood - Spellblood demo, Finland

Mark's 2021 end-year listening log entry #2:

I keep saying, I wait until December and get the cliff notes, but it is overwhelming.  After doing a drive by the more heavily hyped albums, feel  like I'm coming up for air. Tend to go for the heavy hitters, the consensus albums initially-

On the clean, progressive well produced front, I'm hyped in a pretty big way for :

•  Dordeduh/Har (yes, AMG hyped) but this sucker is immense-Their BC add states,  oscillating in the musical space between dark folk and black metal....also fearlessly incorporated electronic, gothic, rock, psychedelic, prog, and even pop elements without prejudice. That's about right-cinematic in scope like like Hans Zimmer epic score.
  • Subterranean Masquerade/Mountain Fever-Israeli 70's inspired pscye prog -first true prog album that's caught my heart in some time fronted by a terrific vocalist. Both of the above are experimental, exquisite sounding multi faceted bristling with talent, ethnic folk and creativity.

Fun listens but not quite there for me:

• Threshing Spirit – The Crucible-buried BM Xasthur vocals amidst a range of "pretty" synths and rock friendly melodies
  • Oriflamme/L'Égide Ardente-saw this one on a big platform list-Québec Black Metal-not feeling this one so much.
  • Archspire/Bleed the Future-OK, so I'll concede the technicality and uber vocals are dizzying and it's super catchy in places but after 3-4 tracks, I'm exhausted.
  • Female fronted hipster loved artier fare:
    • Vouna – Atropos-halfsies on this one-gorgeous female vocals like so many of these female fronted doom bands but with some promise and guest WITR vocals to add bite. Minimalistic Enya in corpse paint....not sure why, but I'm hypnotized.
    • King Woman/Celestial Blues-metal adjacent and like the mix of styles from doom/indie/grunge, etc.
    • BIG|BRAVE – Vital -I liked 2019’s A Gaze Among Them....the new one kicks everything up a noth-noise/drone/doom with a mixed race vocalist who has a passionate story to tell and a HYUGE voice.
  • Mehenet – Ng’ambu-New Orleans Afro Brazilian cult worshipping ecstatic BM-impressed here...

Today listened to:

AUTARKH/Form in Motion-actually went back to it after heavy rotation....really like this one. I dug out a 2017 album, Kwintessens by defunct avant black metallers  Dodecahedron earlier this year...the albums is just so so to me, but when I saw that they had basically reformed as Autrarkh using EDM and power electroncs with extreme music I was intrigued-doesn't make sense on paper but it mostly works...for me...unique,  aggressive, robotic, industrial chaos of an  album. 

Dødsdrift/Ødnis-like their style of BM but the album is fairly unremarkable given the gut of music I'm inhaling. 

I'm liking the new WITR more and more...will grab this one no doubt....I think it's just the lack track that feels anticlimactic. 

.....breathe, breathe...finally feeling I've got a better lay of the wide lens -the hyped albums anyway

...it's about time to dig into slightly less produced works.....Checking out some of Neill Jameson’s picks from one of the Invisible Orange's lists.....sounds like some of the low-fi BM that Surgical Brute used to reco to me. A lot of it is just too low-fi for me but some cool stuff to throw on my BC I  want to listen to later from a quick sample:

• Pan American Native Front-Little Turtle’s War
  • КРЮКОКРЕСТ – ДОМОВИНА
  • Gorgon – Traditio Satanae
  • Circle of Ouroborus - Kiromantia-that Navy of course has been touting heavily....want to spend time with this one. 

A few others to dig into hopefully:

• Code/Flyborn Prince
  • Mystras-Empires Vanquished And Dismantled (liked their album 2020 album) 
  • Sadness/April Sunset
  • Succumb
  • Fluisterrrs

Also want to revisit or pick up:

• Worm
  • Mork
  • Lamp of Murmor
  • Spectral  Wound/A Diabolical Thirst (that's been kicking around my wish list for months-and I do like this one0 
  • Pupil Slicer/Mirrors (satisfies a certain Converge/Nails/All Pigs Must Die metallic hardcore itch for me even though it's something a little different and Concrete Winds/Nerve Butcherer both of which I was halfsies in with... 

And finally seriously dug into what seems to be hyped as the most avant-garde piece of brilliance since DSO hit the scene.....
Plebeian Grandstand/Rien ne suffit-the hype might be justified....fucking bonkers album for sure!

Voices - Breaking The Trauma Bond   ...a definite favorite from the latter part of the year. Long, cheesy, miserable, and I can't get enough lately.

54 minutes ago, markm said:
  • And finally seriously dug into what seems to be hyped as the most avant-garde piece of brilliance since DSO hit the scene.....

Plebeian Grandstand/Rien ne suffit-the hype might be justified....fucking bonkers album for sure!

Love how well-integrated the electronics are on this. It's great in the right situation. Fitting soundtrack to some of our daily news, unfortunately.

59 minutes ago, markm said:

Mark's 2021 end-year listening log entry #2:

I keep saying, I wait until December and get the cliff notes, but it is overwhelming.  After doing a drive by the more heavily hyped albums, feel  like I'm coming up for air. Tend to go for the heavy hitters, the consensus albums initially-

On the clean, progressive well produced front, I'm hyped in a pretty big way for :

•  Dordeduh/Har (yes, AMG hyped) but this sucker is immense-Their BC add states,  oscillating in the musical space between dark folk and black metal....also fearlessly incorporated electronic, gothic, rock, psychedelic, prog, and even pop elements without prejudice. That's about right-cinematic in scope like like Hans Zimmer epic score.
  • Subterranean Masquerade/Mountain Fever-Israeli 70's inspired pscye prog -first true prog album that's caught my heart in some time fronted by a terrific vocalist. Both of the above are experimental, exquisite sounding multi faceted bristling with talent, ethnic folk and creativity.

Fun listens but not quite there for me:

• Threshing Spirit – The Crucible-buried BM Xasthur vocals amidst a range of "pretty" synths and rock friendly melodies
  • Oriflamme/L'Égide Ardente-saw this one on a big platform list-Québec Black Metal-not feeling this one so much.
  • Archspire/Bleed the Future-OK, so I'll concede the technicality and uber vocals are dizzying and it's super catchy in places but after 3-4 tracks, I'm exhausted.
  • Female fronted hipster loved artier fare:
    • Vouna – Atropos-halfsies on this one-gorgeous female vocals like so many of these female fronted doom bands but with some promise and guest WITR vocals to add bite. Minimalistic Enya in corpse paint....not sure why, but I'm hypnotized.
    • King Woman/Celestial Blues-metal adjacent and like the mix of styles from doom/indie/grunge, etc.
    • BIG|BRAVE – Vital -I liked 2019’s A Gaze Among Them....the new one kicks everything up a noth-noise/drone/doom with a mixed race vocalist who has a passionate story to tell and a HYUGE voice.
  • Mehenet – Ng’ambu-New Orleans Afro Brazilian cult worshipping ecstatic BM-impressed here...

Today listened to:

AUTARKH/Form in Motion-actually went back to it after heavy rotation....really like this one. I dug out a 2017 album, Kwintessens by defunct avant black metallers  Dodecahedron earlier this year...the albums is just so so to me, but when I saw that they had basically reformed as Autrarkh using EDM and power electroncs with extreme music I was intrigued-doesn't make sense on paper but it mostly works...for me...unique,  aggressive, robotic, industrial chaos of an  album. 

Dødsdrift/Ødnis-like their style of BM but the album is fairly unremarkable given the gut of music I'm inhaling. 

I'm liking the new WITR more and more...will grab this one no doubt....I think it's just the lack track that feels anticlimactic. 

.....breathe, breathe...finally feeling I've got a better lay of the wide lens -the hyped albums anyway

...it's about time to dig into slightly less produced works.....Checking out some of Neill Jameson’s picks from one of the Invisible Orange's lists.....sounds like some of the low-fi BM that Surgical Brute used to reco to me. A lot of it is just too low-fi for me but some cool stuff to throw on my BC I  want to listen to later from a quick sample:

• Pan American Native Front-Little Turtle’s War
  • КРЮКОКРЕСТ – ДОМОВИНА
  • Gorgon – Traditio Satanae
  • Circle of Ouroborus - Kiromantia-that Navy of course has been touting heavily....want to spend time with this one. 

A few others to dig into hopefully:

• Code/Flyborn Prince
  • Mystras-Empires Vanquished And Dismantled (liked their album 2020 album) 
  • Sadness/April Sunset
  • Succumb
  • Fluisterrrs

Also want to revisit or pick up:

• Worm
  • Mork
  • Lamp of Murmor
  • Spectral  Wound/A Diabolical Thirst (that's been kicking around my wish list for months-and I do like this one0 
  • Pupil Slicer/Mirrors (satisfies a certain Converge/Nails/All Pigs Must Die metallic hardcore itch for me even though it's something a little different and Concrete Winds/Nerve Butcherer both of which I was halfsies in with... 

And finally seriously dug into what seems to be hyped as the most avant-garde piece of brilliance since DSO hit the scene.....

That Mork album is top 5 for me. Hits the sweet spot. It's really good. Now I have to go check some of your recs, especially that 70's Israeli prog album. Sounds like it could be up my alley.

And Jameson is doing lists for IO now? He usually does them for No Clean Singing.