What Are You Listening To?

khaos

It took me several listens to get into SpiritWorld. I kind of wanted to like it more because I judged the book by the cover and decided the music should be good. I still wouldn't call it brilliant but I have listened to it quite a few times and I don't think it's just because I paid for it that I'm giving it more goes.

On 4/10/2023 at 9:29 PM, JamesT said:

HammerFall....

Been 9 straight days listening through the catalog in chronological order and enjoying every second of it. 

Fuckin' hell Jimmy T, it's taken you 9 days to get through it?? How many fucking albums do those guys have?!?

Overkill - The Surgeon, advance tracks sounding good. I will say Bobby Blitz Ellsworth is the best god damned 63 year old (64 in 3 weeks) metal singer I've ever heard. Meanwhile seems like most of them soft pussies from the Big 4 are ready for the old folks home.

Overkill - Wicked Place, yeah, I'm really liking this one. 

17 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Overkill - The Surgeon, advance tracks sounding good. I will say Bobby Blitz Ellsworth is the best god damned 63 year old (64 in 3 weeks) metal singer I've ever heard. Meanwhile seems like most of them soft pussies from the Big 4 are ready for the old folks home.

Thought I read this morning that there is a third song released, but I can't find where I read it so maybe it's not true.

Edit: nah it's not true it was a double quote by someone posting the same song twice.

You made me want to listen to Overkill this morning! But I'll dive into an old album, I prefer.

Overkill - Feel the Fire (1985)

Parkcrest - ...And That Blue Will Turn to Red (2019)

Typical Thrash from the South American scene by this band coming from Chile. Nothing really original and even less revolutionary but the drummer doesn't think he's another Tom Hunting clone and that's rare enough nowadays to be noticed. On the track Darkest Fear below in video, the break is a relentless killer!

Paydretz - Chroniques de l'insurrection (2021)

This album is the work of a French Black Metal band and tells the story of the Chouannerie (civil war that opposed republicans and royalists in France between 1792 and 1800). It is epic!

Pestilence - Spheres (1993)

On 4/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, Arioch said:

In the Woods... - Diversum (2022)

I am ashamed... In the Woods... is a band I've known by name for years but I've never been drawn to listen to one of their records. And I don't know why.

This morning, I'm going for it with their latest album!

Edit :
In the end, I couldn't listen to the whole thing. I didn't like the general atmosphere, the choruses, everything. It's very well played and it's catchy, but not with me.

This is the first album with a new singer. I really like it, it's like a mix between classical heavy metal vocals and doomy prog metal. Supposedly the early albums are cult classics.

In the Woods -  Heart of the ages.

I've been hooked on this british pop singer. She's got a nice voice and some fun stuff going on musically. Very touching lyrics as well. If only this song had been sent to ESC England would've done really well.

Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl

30 minutes ago, Sheol said:

I've been hooked on this british pop singer. She's got a nice voice and some fun stuff going on musically. Very touching lyrics as well. If only this song had been sent to ESC England would've done really well.

"Fun stuff?" It's fucking pop music. That was terrible. Clearly she does have a nice voice, but she's using it to perpetrate abhorrent pop music. We've really lost you haven't we? I miss the old Johan.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

"Fun stuff?" It's fucking pop music. That was terrible. Clearly she does have a nice voice, but she's using it to perpetrate abhorrent pop music. We've really lost you haven't we? I miss the old Johan.

it's sort of nightwish without the guitars

Behemoth - Evangelion

Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

Black Tusk - Set The Dial

Cancer - To The Gory End

Entombed - Serpent Saints

Midnight - Let There Be Witchery

Nocturnus AD - Paradox

Obituary - Cause of Death

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Wolfbrigade - The Enemy: Reality

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Fuckin' hell Jimmy T, it's taken you 9 days to get through it?? How many fucking albums do those guys have?!?

Good point!  I should clarify that it's taken me (now) 10 days to listen through the entire catalog twice over.  They have 12 albums in total.  Some days, I'm not able to listen to music as much as others.  I've just begun listening through a 3rd time, but I doubt I'll make it through before I dive head-first into the glory that is Overkill. 

I make it a point not to listen to singles, because I'd rather listen through the entire album completely fresh.  But from what you've said, I'm even more confident than I already was (if that's even possible) that this will only continue the absolute tear they've been on with the last 6 albums now (including "Scorched"), dating back to 2010's Ironbound.  

Totally agree regarding Blitz.  The guy is just incredible.  I saw Overkill live a little over a year ago (March of 2022), and it was a dream come true.  Been checking out a few recent interviews Blitz has done on various podcasts lately, and I absolutely cannot wait for the new album.  

I also completely agree regarding the so-called "Big Four", who have basically been dormant for awhile as far as I'm concerned, although I do enjoy the newest Megadeth album a good bit.  Metallica's newest album drops on Friday as well, and I'll eventually get around to checking it out, but it gets absolutely dwarfed on my priority list by Overkill.

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

Good point!  I should clarify that it's taken me (now) 10 days to listen through the entire catalog twice over.  They have 12 albums in total.  Some days, I'm not able to listen to music as much as others.  I've just begun listening through a 3rd time, but I doubt I'll make it through before I dive head-first into the glory that is Overkill. 

Is there a reason you're listening to it all a 3rd time in such a short time span?

NP: Exodus - Impact Is Imminent

22 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Et tu, Hungus? I think I may be about the only one here who thought that album was garbage. I almost feel like I wanna have another listen to it though if even you say that you like it. Almost. I'm sure the feeling will pass.

Fair enough. I often need high paced riffage to get me through the afternoon. 

Perhaps the new Nattverd is more tempting:

(spoiler alert it slays)

Speaking of Overkill, this guy does a pretty good Blitz impersonation, and the guitars are pretty darn good.

Call it a mix of Overkill and some modern melodeath/trad. Not every track is a killer, but there are definitely some killer parts to this.

Mirror in the Darkness | Medevil (bandcamp.com)

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Fuck knows why anyone does anything.

I am pretty sure the only reason anyone does anything is to perpetuate their filthy DNA

Sabbat - Dreamweaver (1989)

If I had to go to a desert island with 10 must-have Thrash Metal albums, this second album from the British band Sabbat would definitely be one of them.

Dreamweaver is for me THE best European Thrash album, all eras included. It is epic, Martin Walkyier has a raging and very inspired vocal, the riffs are all delicious and original, the concept album is based on the novel Wyrd's Way by Brian Bates, the sound is inimitable and immediately recognizable (luckily, Andy Sneaps, then guitarist in the band, was not yet producer...). The sublime cover... Absolutely nothing to throw away on this album.

Timeless !

Napalm Death - Scum (1987)