What Are You Listening To?

khaos

7 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Right - first off I don't live in the Midlands, how very dare you!

Well I didn't want to dox you or reveal your exact location in case you wanted to keep it on the d/l or as some kind of a secret from the yobos here.

No, actually I mistakenly thought the west midlands came all the way up to the mouth of the Mersey River which would put you right on the border, but I see now you wirepullers are solidly in the northwest. Please excuse my ignorant Americanness.

But the important takeaway from my post on the other now locked thread was that midlands or not you're all in the same time zone.

NP: Ossaert - Offerdier, Netherlands

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

This post suddenly reminded me of La Masquerade Infernale | Arcturus (bandcamp.com)

It's been years since I heard it, having worn out my CD found in a bargain bin at a record store circa 1997. I bought it purely based on the artwork and a cool band name.

Listening now is like greeting an old friend. 

You know what? You made me want to listen to Arcturus and this famous album! I'm planning to do it tomorrow!

In the meantime :

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (1992)

1 hour ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

AEROSMITH - Sweet Emotion

One of the best radio rock songs ever until they played it a billion times and ran it into the ground. That was always my favorite Aerosmith abum. My first and the best.

And holy crap, I hadn't even thought about Gary Wright in forever. I think I forgot he ever existed. Weren't you just a 6 or 7 year old little kid in '75?

NP: Mercyful Fate- Don't Break the Oath, Denmark 1984

Mercyful Fate - Nuns Have No Fun EP 1982

21 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I like decisive recommendations like this. Quite an endorsement.

I also like the music....but 4 minutes 16? What am I supposed to do with that? I wouldn't buy a single on bandcamp. That's just not how I roll. It's the album or nothing.

Apparently the guy is also a sexist, harassing, stalkerish creep, but hey you can't win em all....🙃

The song is a reworking of an older, instrumental song. So it's just like a one-off single.

21 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I like decisive recommendations like this. Quite an endorsement.

I also like the music....but 4 minutes 16? What am I supposed to do with that? I wouldn't buy a single on bandcamp. That's just not how I roll. It's the album or nothing.

Apparently the guy is also a sexist, harassing, stalkerish creep, but hey you can't win em all....🙃

The song is a reworking of an older, instrumental song. So it's just like a one-off single.

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (1997)

I just listened to it. This kind of music is not really my cup of tea, to tell the truth. But at least I tried.

Axegressor - Last (2014)

Aspera Hines Symfornia is Arcturus’ best work if you’re looking for more orthodox, black metal, otherwise The Sham Mirror is a better constructed progressive effort

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale (1997)

I just listened to it. This kind of music is not really my cup of tea, to tell the truth. But at least I tried.

I've tried them a few times. I'm sure I own one of their albums. I tried because I love the name - it reminded me of a book that blew my mind when I was a teenager, Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay. But like for you, the music leaves me cold.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Aspera Hines Symfornia is Arcturus’ best work if you’re looking for more orthodox, black metal, otherwise The Sham Mirror is a better constructed progressive effort

I tend to agree that The Sham Mirrors is a little more accessible. I also intend to go back and check the early stuff now I know it is on bandcamp. I presume it may be like listening to early Ulver. Interestingly the first three Ulver records are not on bandcamp like everything else is. Not sure if that is a rights issue* or whitewashing of history (i.e. erasing of black metal origins).

*Most likely rights issue. The wolf album is Century Media. Boo. Hiss!

ARCTURUS - Live Show Stream 21.05.2020...these guys are weird. And now they have that ICS dude singing who did time in Dimmu Burger for awhile. All the guitar players and bassist used to be in Ulver. This Covid lockdown live stream set is interesting, sounds very theatrical. Avant-garde I guess they call it. I don't hate it, it's just not black metal. 25 minutes in and I'm bored. Not sure if these guys are really a good fit for me.

Shifting gears.....DeathEpoch - Abysmal Invocation, Poland 2020, this is a little weird too but a different kind of weird.

52 minutes ago, Arioch said:

The Haunted - rEVOLVEr (2004)

I bought that album back when it was new. I was new to extreme metal myself at that time and I had read an article somewhere saying that they were some kind of a modern thrash band. Well I ordered the CD and it turned out they weren't a thrash band. I still tried for some months to get into them but ultimately I just couldn't do it. Can't remember the last time I heard them, do I dare?

NP: Black Spirit - El Sueño De La Razón Produce Monstruos, Spain 2021. Oh yes, much better idea than the Haunted.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I bought that album back when it was new. I was new to extreme metal myself at that time and I had read an article somewhere saying that they were some kind of a modern thrash band. Well I ordered the CD and it turned out they weren't a thrash band. I still tried for some months to get into them but ultimately I just couldn't do it. Can't remember the last time I heard them, do I dare?

As for me, rEVOLVEr is the last album I bought from them. I have all the previous albums.

Ok, rEVOLVEr was not Thrash but the first album was. They just moved to other musical spheres when Marco Aro replaced Peter Dolving.

rEVOLVEr marks the return of Dolving on vocals and I thought: great! I like him better than Aro, this is going to be a good album!

And in the end, no. Peter Dolving just screams on this record and the music behind him doesn't satisfy me at all.

The albums that followed, I listen to them on Youtube but I won't buy them.