What's on your mind?

Apoc

On 1/29/2022 at 1:06 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No, snuff is a tobacco product. Regular snuff comes in a little tin and you put in your mouth between your cheek and gums and then either spit or swallow the tobacco juice, it's fucking nasty. Nasal snuff you sniff it up your nose like cocaine, which sounds pretty fucking nasty too. 

Ahh, yeah in Sweden we call it Snus. It's the most used tobacco product here, wiki says 1/10. So, like everyone uses it (not me). The gum version, never seen the nasal version. Supposedly it's really hard to kick too because a) it goes directly into your bloodstream via the gums, and b) unlike ciggs you don't have to go outside to do it but you can pop one in at anytime. Some even sleep with their snus.

Tested positive for the old covid this morning. Swerved it for 2 years, 3 vaccinations and boom here it is. Just feel like a heavy cold. Bit of a headache. 

So I thought as i already have a headache I will smash the bottle of ltr JD i got for xmas. Will spend all day doing fuck all anyway so. 

Just now, Fraser said:

Tested positive for the old covid this morning. Swerved it for 2 years, 3 vaccinations and boom here it is. Just feel like a heavy cold. Bit of a headache. 

So I thought as i already have a headache I will smash the bottle of ltr JD i got for xmas. Will spend all day doing fuck all anyway so. 

Yikes, feel better soon man. Good thing you're vaccinated at least. Everyone I know who got it after being vaccinated cleared it within about a week, hope you do as well.

2 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Yikes, feel better soon man. Good thing you're vaccinated at least. Everyone I know who got it after being vaccinated cleared it within about a week, hope you do as well.

Cheers mate, 

Not worried for myself but have a vulnerable 11 year old son so have locked myself away in the bedroom. Even 1 day of not speaking to the boys about their day at school (well face to face) wound me up. 

The expectations of family members for you to come heavily out of pocket to attend a brief event like a wedding is a bit ridiculous. When we were planning our daughter's wedding, we intentionally didn't invite everyone we/she knew. Two reasons 1) like you mentioned with your parents we had no intent of ever seeing some of them again (my parents) and 2) we understood their situation and didn't want to put them in a position to either have to decline or do something that created financial issues for them. We of course explained to those in the second group in the most polite way possible to avoid hard feelings and fortunately we avoided them.

I find weddings in general have become overblown money wasting activities. As a new couple, the money spent on overpriced clothing, food, pictures, and venues could be much better utilized to get a head start financially. I'd rather given my kids $15K to put a down payment on a house, secure reliable transportation, or build an emergency fund than waste it on a single day which we did. I think it would go a long way to reducing some of the hardships associated with new marriages. My wife of course didn't see it that way (even though that's exactly the way we did it). She and I just went to the courthouse, did the deed, then went to a nice resort where we did everything we should have as newlyweds. We have very fond memories of it still 25 years later. Whole weekend cost us less than a grand.

Shit, I think I just bit off more than I want to chew...again. Decided long ago that the water features under my patio were not worth maintaining so I kind of turned them into small gardens for potted plants. Today I decided both water features take up real estate that could be better utilised by one of the utility sheds. Neither shed really gets in the way on the patio but they could be better organised. When I built the brick and concrete water features I kind of expected them to stay forever so built them properly as any brickie would. So now I'm off to hire a demolition saw for the weekend to cut 6 brick walls around the water feature and 3 walls around the BBQ. Then I'm going to spend the next week or two (on and off) re-concreting, moving two sheds, reattaching them to keep them from blowing away, then rewiring all the electrics. All this to make a better use of the undercover area of the patio which I don't really know what I'll do with anyway.

12 hours ago, navybsn said:

The expectations of family members for you to come heavily out of pocket to attend a brief event like a wedding is a bit ridiculous. 

Thanks - I was starting to feel like a cheapskate.  My wife (She Who Spends) still thinks at least I should go but given we have a measly $1,600 left in the cash reserve I don't see it happening without debt.

My own wedding was about $12,000 wasted.  Lots of stress before it in-laws trying to shove their nose into everything and the wedding reception was not enjoyable - my parents were being offensive, one of my brothers sat there reading a book, the other just sulked, my wife spent the whole knife with one of her friends who is a toxic bitch and got completely wasted and spent the whole night vomiting and I spent the night trying to clean her up (I was sober).  The wedding dance was a disaster - we learned a tango except my wife failed to connect the dots that her wedding dress would not allow us to dance a tango or anything else much.

Wedding ceremony was nice but the evening ruined it!

One of the shittest nights of my life.

Wife and I both agreed in hindsight we should have eloped.

20 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

Shit, I think I just bit off more than I want to chew...again. Decided long ago that the water features under my patio were not worth maintaining so I kind of turned them into small gardens for potted plants. Today I decided both water features take up real estate that could be better utilised by one of the utility sheds. Neither shed really gets in the way on the patio but they could be better organised. When I built the brick and concrete water features I kind of expected them to stay forever so built them properly as any brickie would. So now I'm off to hire a demolition saw for the weekend to cut 6 brick walls around the water feature and 3 walls around the BBQ. Then I'm going to spend the next week or two (on and off) re-concreting, moving two sheds, reattaching them to keep them from blowing away, then rewiring all the electrics. All this to make a better use of the undercover area of the patio which I don't really know what I'll do with anyway.

Urrgh all that sounds like too much work!

3 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Wife and I both agreed in hindsight we should have eloped.

Haha. We thought the same thing. Our wedding was across the country (where the wife's family is) so we did rely on them a lot for the organisation of things but in the week leading up to the day we both thought running away was the best option. In the end we decided it was better if the family hated me than her so I just had to stand up and tell them to cut the shit and let us do things our way.

6 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Urrgh all that sounds like too much work!

You're not wrong, especially given the space I'm going to gain. But the position of the bigger shed has always annoyed me a bit, I just chose to ignore it and the water features are just spider havens at the moment. Moving the big shed to the east side of the patio will keep some of the sun off it, essentially cooling it down and it will open the west up to more sunlight for whatever I end up using the space for.

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

Haha. We thought the same thing. Our wedding was across the country (where the wife's family is) so we did rely on them a lot for the organisation of things but in the week leading up to the day we both thought running away was the best option. In the end we decided it was better if the family hated me than her so I just had to stand up and tell them to cut the shit and let us do things our way.

We just fought running battles with the mother in-law who had somehow decided her house renovation was key to our wedding (no idea why as many people weren't crashing from interstate let alone at her place) and who wanted input into who was invited and who sat where.

My parents were  were pissed I didn't invite their friends (who I didn't know) or relatives from Croatia.  At the reception they complained to any one who would listen whilst my mum wailed how she'd lost her son!

Whole fucking experience was miserable.

Our fights were with the sisters, they thought they knew what their sister wanted better than she did.

Because we had the wedding 4000ks away I didn't expect too much of my family to make the trip. I wasn't even upset when my grandfather said he was too old to fly to WA and my dad's brother said he turn up because he was working there that week. However I was amused when I found out my grandfather flew to WA 4 weeks before the wedding and my uncle flew out the day before the wedding.

23 hours ago, KillaKukumba said:

Our fights were with the sisters, they thought they knew what their sister wanted better than she did.

Because we had the wedding 4000ks away I didn't expect too much of my family to make the trip. I wasn't even upset when my grandfather said he was too old to fly to WA and my dad's brother said he turn up because he was working there that week. However I was amused when I found out my grandfather flew to WA 4 weeks before the wedding and my uncle flew out the day before the wedding.

Ah family.  So glad I have disowned 99% of mine (mum, dad, whole extended family and no relationship with one brother).  Only have a decent relationship with the brother getting married in Croatia.

Had a cracked wisdom tooth pulled out Thursday.  Had to wait a week due to an infection in it.  No pain now just that odd feeling of your gum being inflamed and (probably) healing at the same time.

We are away overnight for Valentines in a week or so because the future missus MacabreEternal wants to watch some ballroom dancing thing and then apparently we are off to some Van Gogh exhibition the day after.  She's ramping up the weekend/overnight breaks now restrictions are eased and we are in some penthouse suite at a spa hotel for her birthday next month.  Since I don't like other people touching me I will sit in the hot tub on the private balcony most of the day whilst she goes off and has various treatments.

Not that I really focus on it any more but I made a big mistake of only hearing what I wanted to hear when the dentist told me my wisdom teeth needed to come out. His words were, "we could probably get away with only two now but it would be better to go all four". I focused on less dentist, less bill, less time in the chair and got two out. The remaining to two fucked around in my mouth ruining the teeth beside them and eventually led to more problems. My brother had all 4 done at once in hospital, while he was asleep, I wished I'd taken that option.

Somehow I weirdly lucked out. My teeth have always been kind of odd...I was told a long time ago, that I actually still have two baby teeth because the adult teeth never came in behind them. Anyway, I was told the same thing had happened with my wisdom teeth. The adult molars that would normally come in appear to have never been there, so the wisdom teeth grew in unimpeded and took their place

10 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Had a cracked wisdom tooth pulled out Thursday.  Had to wait a week due to an infection in it.  No pain now just that odd feeling of your gum being inflamed and (probably) healing at the same time.

We are away overnight for Valentines in a week or so because the future missus MacabreEternal wants to watch some ballroom dancing thing and then apparently we are off to some Van Gogh exhibition the day after.  She's ramping up the weekend/overnight breaks now restrictions are eased and we are in some penthouse suite at a spa hotel for her birthday next month.  Since I don't like other people touching me I will sit in the hot tub on the private balcony most of the day whilst she goes off and has various treatments.

Oh man, bummer. I had mine removed when I first started teaching in L.A. when I was 27. I'll never forget that I did it on my spring break because it ruined the week off. I  got an infection. They were impacted. Stupidly, due to the pain I doubled up on the pain meds and Doc would not give me more due to the addictive nature. I still remember the feeling of a jackhammer being taken to my jaw. That was some of the worst pain I've ever had.  

Not sure if it's common thing because I spent 20 years not going to a dentist by my dentist now has a TV on the roof, it has closed captions so you can read what's going on but he does get a bit narky when you ask him to get out of the way. The first time I saw him he had Sesame Street on the screen so I asked him if he could do better, two days later when I went in there the bugger had the Food Network on!!