What Are You Listening To?

khaos

End - Sin Of Human Frailty

Mate of mine recommended this.  Disjointed as fuck technical/avant garde death metal/grind/metalcore/industrial/math metal/powerviolence/insert genre here with a hint of melodic, symphonic and progressive wierdness.  

It's actually not that bad and it sounds authentically fresh and surprisingly coherent.  

@Thatguy @markm perhaps one for you two more open minded souls?

Link to whole album

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ooh4p1K2Nk&list=OLAK5uy_kG1kRedggo6f87-qKG-PiWoWHe9n81bJo

On 10/23/2023 at 8:24 PM, SurgicalBrute said:

That wasn't Songtradr, that was actually Epic who did it before the site was officially sold. Basically, the employees were told by Epic to reapply for their jobs with Songtradr, and roughly half were given job offers. Probably because Epic is financially screwed right now after getting hit with a $520 million dollar settlment, and ended up letting roughly 16% of their own staff go as well.

...and while I'm sure Songtradr will find some way to screw things up for the worst, it's important to note a lot of the people being let go came out of the writing and editorial department side of things. This isn't the tech people who keep the system running, it's the people who do the music promotion and review stuff on places like Bandcamp Daily....which, to me, has always been a useless waste of resources.

And let's not forget that BC recently unionized, and by chance, a majority of the layoffs hit union actives.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/bandcamp-bargaining-union-layoffs-songtradr-18432047.php

The job cuts, which SFGATE reported Monday amounted to about 60 of 118 employees, disproportionately hit union leaders, Bandcamp United told SFGATE in a Tuesday press release. Every member of the union’s eight-person bargaining team was laid off, it said, and in sum, 40 of the bargaining unit’s 67 people lost their jobs.

Whoops.

On 10/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, JonoBlade said:

As @Arioch notes, I hope that labels don't make their stuff disappear. So far as I can tell every single one of the albums I've purchased in the last 7 or 8 years is still on the app. Although I recently backed everything up anyhow. 

At the very least, bandcamp has shown that an ethical model can be successful. I'd be fine with it if it were superseded by something else, equivalent, and metal. 

Maybe the 50% will take all their knowledge and set up a rival. And fortify it against a similar thing happening in the future.

I'd be onboard in an instant and cancel my bandcamp account (after backing up purchases!)

There's a browser plugin called Batchcamp that lets you mass-download your BC purchases in your desired format. Very handy, and advisable.

I know that Greg (?) from Woe is working on a DIY alternative to BC called Ampwall that hopefully will be good. We'll see. Someone will undoubtedly want to fill the ethical hole BC leaves.

https://ampwall.com/

On 10/25/2023 at 9:55 PM, AlSymerz said:

Go even heavier with the southern thrash and listen to German band Dezperadoz.

Angleripper did vocals on the first album. But Alex Kraft has been a long time friend of Tom's and appeared on a number of things Tom did from Sodom to Oknel Tom. He's also produced a bit of Tom's stuff.

I appreciate the recommendation, my friend!  I've listened to just a couple of songs from Dezperadoz, but I've never done a deep dive into the discography.  How many albums do they have out at this point? 

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

King Diamond - Abigail (1987)

No denying this stone cold classic!  Haunting, menacing, and well-executed. 

5 hours ago, Sheol said:

And let's not forget that BC recently unionized, and by chance, a majority of the layoffs hit union actives.

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/bandcamp-bargaining-union-layoffs-songtradr-18432047.php

The job cuts, which SFGATE reported Monday amounted to about 60 of 118 employees, disproportionately hit union leaders, Bandcamp United told SFGATE in a Tuesday press release. Every member of the union’s eight-person bargaining team was laid off, it said, and in sum, 40 of the bargaining unit’s 67 people lost their jobs.

Whoops.

841ga4.jpg

Whoops indeed

4 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

I think it's five and one to possibly come next year.

Okay, very cool!  I have some solid material to check out.  

Primal Fear - "Black Sun"

Primal Fear - "Delivering the Black"

Judas Priest - "Angel of Retribution"

Judas Priest - "Nostradamus"

Traditional metal fix today!

NP: Moribund Dawn - Dark Mysteries of Time and Eternity

▶︎ MORIBUND DAWN “Dark Mysteries of Time & Eternity” LP [TOD058] | Moribund Dawn | TEMPLE OF DARKNESS RECORDS (bandcamp.com)

a2502628190_10.jpg

Decent enough for when I'm in the mood for this sort of thing. Maybe even worth a few extra spins in case you find yourself amidst a Sacramentum shortage.