What Are You Listening To?

khaos

8 hours ago, Thatguy said:

NOIRCURE - Pathos. Again. Really enjoying this. Blackgaze, I guess. Great vocals. Not crude or egregiously riffy enough for the goats. It's refined, you savages. The cover art reminds me -  naturally -  of Ophelia by Peter Hammill. Lovely song.

I will check this one out. 

14 hours ago, Thatguy said:

NOIRCURE - Pathos. Again. Really enjoying this. Blackgaze, I guess. Great vocals. Not crude or egregiously riffy enough for the goats. It's refined, you savages. The cover art reminds me -  naturally -  of Ophelia by Peter Hammill. Lovely song.

Noroir-Pathos-Wow, this is really gazey 🙂

Dozer/Drifting in the Endless Void (23)-2 preleased tracks on Bandcamp. Judging from a couple of reviews I found, this will probably be on some EOTY lists for stoner fans. Doesn't blow me away so far, but solid. Caveat-I'm a Dozer fan.

Void Cemetery-Threads of Unknowing (23)-Cosmic DM, wtf that is....meh at first blush.

Ernite/Albsegen-atmoblack (23)-nothing special for me, just aight.

Noircure - Pathos  1.6/10 You'd think I should have known what I'd be in for when Doc described this as "lovely" and I had no plans at all to check this out, ever...but then that pesky Mark got me all  curious. I tried but I couldn't make it to the end, 50 minutes of this crap would be a bit too much. I imagine this atmospheric nonsense with the lovely ethereal flourishes has the same effect on civilized, refined intellectual types as lo-fi black metal has on me. And of course now I'm triggered that some larrikin would dare to label this crap "black metal" and my up til now serene, tranqil day has been irreparably shattered. Thanks a lot Doc! Gonna go make some coffee and try to regain my composure through caffeine therapy. 

Teuta - Spirito Antico, Italy, needed something egregiously savagely riffy and unrefined after that. Been thinking about getting some hats made up with the slogan: Make Black Metal Great Again. Black and white only of course.

Perdition Winds - Transcendent Emptiness, 2017 Finland, needed a little refresher before their new one drops at the end of the week.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

when Doc described this as "lovely" and I had no plans at all to check this out, ever.

Well, if I were as argumentative as Dead or the Orca I would point out that it was the Peter Hammill  song Ophelia that I described as lovely and I did make it clear that you and your ilk would not like NOIRCURE. As ever though, gonya for dipping your toe in.

And actually NOIRCURE is lovely even if I didn't explicitly say so.

You should listen to the new LO! though. Not lovely at all.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Well, if I were as argumentative as Dead or the Orca I would point out that it was the Peter Hammill  song Ophelia that I described as lovely and I did make it clear that you and your ilk would not like NOIRCURE. As ever though, gonya for dipping your toe in.

And actually NOIRCURE is lovely even if I didn't explicitly say so.

You should listen to the new LO! though. Not lovely at all.

Yes, much too lovely for my ilk. Never knew Luke Skywalker had a solo album, but clearly I misunderstood when you said "the song" was lovey, I assumed you you were referring to one of the songs on the Noircure album because I thought that  description was appropriate for that music. And also, quite understandably I think, when you said the cover art reminded you of Hammill's Ophelia I mistakenly assumed that was a reference to some famous old painting that you were comparing the cover art to because of the chick on the cover.

LO! - The Gleaners, Sydney sludge, eh? I don't hate this or anything, somehow I'm already 3/4 of the way through, but I generally prefer my sludge with less post-metal overtones. In fact I prefer all my music to have minimal/negligible post-metal overtones. I feel like post-metal basically ruins many otherwise acceptable atmo-black metal albums. I reckon you must listen to a fair amounnt of post-metal because it comes up frequently in the descriptions of a lot of the stuff you post. I imagine you see the post-metal overtones as "refinement" that can elevate some harsh music to a higher plane, rendering it more palatable to you and your ilk, while to goats like me the inclusion of post-metal is just like injecting lameness right straight into their veins.

7 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Noircure - Pathos  1.6/10 You'd think I should have known what I'd be in for when Doc described this as "lovely" and I had no plans at all to check this out, ever...but then that pesky Mark got me all  curious. I tried but I couldn't make it to the end, 50 minutes of this crap would be a bit too much. I imagine this atmospheric nonsense with the lovely ethereal flourishes has the same effect on civilized, refined intellectual types as lo-fi black metal has on me. And of course now I'm triggered that some larrikin would dare to label this crap "black metal" and my up til now serene, tranqil day has been irreparably shattered. Thanks a lot Doc! Gonna go make some coffee and try to regain my composure through caffeine therapy. 

TBH, it's a little too gazey for me GG and you known I take a fair amount of post with my argghhh-roarrrr  metal. I have a handful of albums of this type and I don't hate them, but I prefer more contrast of beauty and beast, more harsh/transcendent, more slow burn build up, more soft/loud dynamics. In respect of TG, I'll have to listen again at some point but on first impression albeit distracted doing work on my computer, it felt a bit samey-gazey-hazey...no doubt there are a lot of nuances that I didn't pick up whilst going through my student case management.  

25 minutes ago, markm said:

TBH, it's a little too gazey for me GG and you know take a fair amount of post with my argghhh-roarrrr  metal. I have a handful of albums of this type and I don't hate them, but I prefer more contrast of beauty and beast, more harsh/transcendent, more slow burn build up, more soft/loud dynamics. In respect of TG, I'll have to listen again at some point but on first impression albeit distracted doing work on my computer, it felt a bit samey-gazey-hazey...no doubt there are a lot of nuances that I didn't pick up whilst going through my student case management.  

I don't mind a little bit of soft/loud dynamics myself but with most post-metal I've heard (and I haven't heard a ton of it)  it's too much of a good thing. Too much soft, not enough hard. Too much lovely, not enough ugly. Too much build up, not enough payoff. I'm not usually the biggest sludge guy either but I do enjoy some from time to time. I take mine neat though like my whiskey, because I'd rather that neither be diluted.

Meth Drinker - Meth Drinker, Kiwi sludge from Wellington NZ 2011

Iron Moneky - Our Problem, Nottingham UK 1998, stone cold riffy sludge metal classic.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't mind a little bit of soft/loud dynamics myself but with most post-metal I've heard (and I haven't heard a ton of it)  it's too much of a good thing. Too much soft, not enough hard. Too much lovely, not enough ugly. Too much build up, not enough payoff.

Most instrumental post rock -  and post metal, I guess - is built on tired cliches of ebb and flow that generally bore me. Most of them need a vocalist to add the colour/drama/emotion that they are attempting to express by going soft soft soft, then , oh yeah, a swell to a loud climax. This is not art. It is music by numbers.

Thatguy has spoken.

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying and the Dead

Metallica - 72 Seasons

Overkill - Scorched - hmmm....there's a few more old school influences here that seem to set it slightly apart from the Ironbound clones.  Credit to them for letting the guitars breath some more toning down the bass (!) and adding some of those older doomy vibes.

Slayer - Divine Intervention

Here's a topical statement - Machine Head's the best album out of that bunch!  Literally the music is the soundtrack to the 1992 Rodney King riots and America's societal decay. 

Shame they careened off a cliff not long after.

49 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

Megadeth - The Sick, The Dying and the Dead

Metallica - 72 Seasons

Overkill - Scorched - hmmm....there's a few more old school influences here that seem to set it slightly apart from the Ironbound clones.  Credit to them for letting the guitars breath some more toning down the bass (!) and adding some of those older doomy vibes.

Slayer - Divine Intervention

Here's a topical statement - Machine Head's the best album out of that bunch!  Literally the music is the soundtrack to the 1992 Rodney King riots and America's societal decay. 

Shame they careened off a cliff not long after.

Lot of great picks there!  Especially the new Overkill.  I haven't checked out the new Metallica album yet, as Overkill has gotten my full devotion since the release on Friday.  But I'm looking forward to hearing "72 Seasons".  I'm a huge fan of "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct" and thought it's the best album they've released since my favorite one, which is "...And Justice for All" back in '88.  Excited to see what this new one has to offer.  I don't care about comparing it to their 80's classics - I'll be judging this one based on its own merit and the things it brings to the table.  

14 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Lot of great picks there!  Especially the new Overkill.  I haven't checked out the new Metallica album yet, as Overkill has gotten my full devotion since the release on Friday.  But I'm looking forward to hearing "72 Seasons".  I'm a huge fan of "Hardwired...to Self-Destruct" and thought it's the best album they've released since my favorite one, which is "...And Justice for All" back in '88.  Excited to see what this new one has to offer.  I don't care about comparing it to their 80's classics - I'll be judging this one based on its own merit and the things it brings to the table.  

You seem like a good dude, and I'm definitely glad to have another Overkill fanboi here on the board. But I just can't take you seriously as a metalhead my friend if you're gonna call out AJFA as your favorite Metallica album. WTF??

No I'm just kidding, we all like what we like. I've known more than a few who would cite AJFA as 'the one.' Always stick to you guns. And you're right not to compare a new Metallica album to their 80's classic because we're a long way from the 80's, that shit's irrelevant now. Comparisons to their last few are going to be inevitable though I suppose, although I myself wouldn't be able to compare it to Hardwired as I've only heard parts of 2 or 3 songs from each of these last 2 albums exacly one time.

Last 3:

Overkill - WFO 1994

Overkill - I Hear Black, 1993

Overkill - Necroshine, 1999

5 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

From now on AJFA is my favourite Metallica album too.

Today someone called me lame for having too much metal and not enough core.  : r/MetalMemes

I think all those years inhaling cow farts have affected your judgement Vic. (and not in a good way) Besides just last night you told us it was the S/T "Black" album. Get your story straight pops. Now I see why you changed your user name to a debiitating memory effecting disease. Tomorrow you'll be trying to tell us St. Anger's your favorite because you won't remember what you said today.