Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As some of the forum members (myself included) are still in their teens, I wonder: are there any crazy teenage memories that forum members would like to share? Because everyone needs a good laugh every once in a while. To start this off, one of mine was the time when my friends and I rolled the yard of a man who owned the local pawn shop. What we didn’t know was that he had security cameras watching the yard. He came out of the house and yelled, “What the hell is it?!?”. We got scared and yelled, “Don’t shoot!”. He said, “You must be crazy to think that I’m gonna shoot y’all. I thought y’all were fighting because everyone moved around so much!”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I have got one...and yes, it popped up in my mind when I was posting to the Halloween topic...but don't worry, this will make sense later on in this thread :D

When I was 16, I was living in this squat in Copenhagen. We were all young and free, and it was one of the coolest times in my life. One day a bunch of fellow punks from Norway came to visit us and there was this guy called John, ugly as hell but extremely intelligent, spiritual and into as I...the super natural. Now we were sitting talking about ghosts and hauntings and somebody must have overheard us, because the next thing that happened was this guy comming into the room with a gravestone that he had stolen at a near by cemetary (shitty thing to do really, but he was young and drunk). Some girl said that we should try and calm the spirit because it was angry now and John said he could conduct a seance...now this was getting really interesting, so of course I told them that I was up for it. 

Well, we then went up stars to find a quiet spot, taking with us candles, salt, the gravestone of course, our cigarettes and such and then sat down to well, contact the spirit. John was going to sit with the gravestone on his lap and the rest of us with a DIY ouija board. Things progressed and the room got colder, people could start "sensing" something, and I swear that John went into a trance...he looked as if he was miles away, he was a hairy guy and I could clearly see the hair on his arms stand up, and tears were rolling down his face which was otherwise completely calm. Well, we found out that the soul of the old lady who's gravestone had been stolen would forgive us if we put it back the very same night. And John asked me if I would carry the stone back to the cemetary, because he thought I would be the best person to do so, I agreed and we all began to go down stairs to were the others were. 

I needed to do a few things in my own room, so I left and apparently while I was gone, everybody in our living room had been told what happened and it spooked the hell out of everyone and before anyone knew it, people claimed to see posters move by themselves, strange bumps from upstairs, cold winds and what have you :D (sorry, this trip down memory lane is make me giggle). So I was almost finished doing the things I needed to do after half an hour or so and I felt like smoking a cigarette, so I sat up on my window ledge and just leaving one lamp on, so from outside you could just see my silhouette and then this guy in the street outside who's brother was the one who had stolen the gravestone in the first place, looked up at my window and screamed  “Sod off, you bitch", I am wondering what the hell is going on and I leave my room and just casually walk down the hall to see what hell is going on. Now I have always been a quiet walker, no stomping in the floor when it comes to me! And my shadow must have been seen on the wall  just before I reached the open door to the living room, because as I did people began to scream and get up and run away (I am laughing so hard now :D)...because they thought that I was a ghost!!!! :D:D:D

Never the less, the grave stone was taking back to it's rightful owner and the gig afterwards was really good, Channel Rats from Hamburg. 

But damn, that image of a bunch of punks...some almost twice my size...being scared shitless by, at the time, little scrawny me will "haunt" me forever. Bloody priceless and so hilarious :D

However that was the first and last time that I was ever accused of being a ghost...shame though, because it was a blast as long as it lasted :D

P. S That guy in the street actually apologized latter on in a very gentlemanly manner for calling me a bitch :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 4:22 AM, Tortuga said:

Okay, I have got one...and yes, it popped up in my mind when I was posting to the Halloween topic...but don't worry, this will make sense later on in this thread :D

When I was 16, I was living in this squat in Copenhagen. We were all young and free, and it was one of the coolest times in my life. One day a bunch of fellow punks from Norway came to visit us and there was this guy called John, ugly as hell but extremely intelligent, spiritual and into as I...the super natural. Now we were sitting talking about ghosts and hauntings and somebody must have overheard us, because the next thing that happened was this guy comming into the room with a gravestone that he had stolen at a near by cemetary (shitty thing to do really, but he was young and drunk). Some girl said that we should try and calm the spirit because it was angry now and John said he could conduct a seance...now this was getting really interesting, so of course I told them that I was up for it. 

Well, we then went up stars to find a quiet spot, taking with us candles, salt, the gravestone of course, our cigarettes and such and then sat down to well, contact the spirit. John was going to sit with the gravestone on his lap and the rest of us with a DIY ouija board. Things progressed and the room got colder, people could start "sensing" something, and I swear that John went into a trance...he looked as if he was miles away, he was a hairy guy and I could clearly see the hair on his arms stand up, and tears were rolling down his face which was otherwise completely calm. Well, we found out that the soul of the old lady who's gravestone had been stolen would forgive us if we put it back the very same night. And John asked me if I would carry the stone back to the cemetary, because he thought I would be the best person to do so, I agreed and we all began to go down stairs to were the others were. 

I needed to do a few things in my own room, so I left and apparently while I was gone, everybody in our living room had been told what happened and it spooked the hell out of everyone and before anyone knew it, people claimed to see posters move by themselves, strange bumps from upstairs, cold winds and what have you :D (sorry, this trip down memory lane is make me giggle). So I was almost finished doing the things I needed to do after half an hour or so and I felt like smoking a cigarette, so I sat up on my window ledge and just leaving one lamp on, so from outside you could just see my silhouette and then this guy in the street outside who's brother was the one who had stolen the gravestone in the first place, looked up at my window and screamed  “Sod off, you bitch", I am wondering what the hell is going on and I leave my room and just casually walk down the hall to see what hell is going on. Now I have always been a quiet walker, no stomping in the floor when it comes to me! And my shadow must have been seen on the wall  just before I reached the open door to the living room, because as I did people began to scream and get up and run away (I am laughing so hard now :D)...because they thought that I was a ghost!!!! :D:D:D

Never the less, the grave stone was taking back to it's rightful owner and the gig afterwards was really good, Channel Rats from Hamburg. 

But damn, that image of a bunch of punks...some almost twice my size...being scared shitless by, at the time, little scrawny me will "haunt" me forever. Bloody priceless and so hilarious :D

However that was the first and last time that I was ever accused of being a ghost...shame though, because it was a blast as long as it lasted :D

P. S That guy in the street actually apologized latter on in a very gentlemanly manner for calling me a bitch :)

That's a really cool story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, salmonellapancake said:

I remember this one night a few years ago, I was with some friends from middle school and one of them had to relieve himself while we were out and about so he took a shit on the lawn of another friend's house. Good thing we were out TPing, so he had something to wipe with.

O, to be young.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

My teenage years We're not the best. Was a down turn for metal in the late 1990s. So stopped listening for too long. Tried listening to other more socially acceptable genres but didn't like them until I heard slayer again on the radio.The rest we shall say is history. I'm never going back.??? Metal is my favourite and I don't care if it's not socially acceptable and it's peaked.  I know this is not what your expecting for the thread but think some perspective must be made. An all positive thread is just too much. Life is dark and light. Surely ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I did go to a gig think it was motorhead and I was complete idiot, I asked one of the concert goers if I could have have his pint of beer. He handed it over and I tipped it on my head. And screamed and banged my head a bit. I still don't know how I got away with that. What an idiot right. 🤭And more importantly I've not got  quite as drunk at a show as that since 🤣it was a lesson. Conversation killed. 🤪Lol 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I did go to a gig think it was motorhead and I was complete idiot, I asked one of the concert goers if I could have have his pint of beer. He handed it over and I tipped it on my head. And screamed and banged my head a bit. I still don't know how I got away with that. What an idiot right. 🤭And more importantly I've not got  quite as drunk at a show as that since 🤣it was a lesson. Conversation killed. 🤪Lol 😆

Ah man that wasn’t nice! And heellll yeah Motorhead the best band ever to walk the earth!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2021 at 2:26 AM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

Ah man that wasn’t nice! And heellll yeah Motorhead the best band ever to walk the earth!!

Not my finest hour for sure. Although the more embarrassing stuff will remain unsaid 😁lips sealed 🤐 as for motorhead. Yeah what a band. Did they ever do a bad album. For me so consistent. Abbath(immortal and abbath) singing has been compared to Lemmy's. Can you see the resemblance. Am I nuts in saying yeah I hear it? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

Not my finest hour for sure. Although the more embarrassing stuff will remain unsaid 😁lips sealed 🤐 as for motorhead. Yeah what a band. Did they ever do a bad album. For me so consistent. Abbath(immortal and abbath) singing has been compared to Lemmy's. Can you see the resemblance. Am I nuts in saying yeah I hear it? 

 

hahaha fair enough

 

Yeah in my opinion Motorhead never released a bad album, they are remarkably consistent. And i've not really listened to Abbath so i'll have to check him out 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

hahaha fair enough

 

Yeah in my opinion Motorhead never released a bad album, they are remarkably consistent. And i've not really listened to Abbath so i'll have to check him out 😜

your right about motorhead. there so consistent in doing good albums imo. im not biggest fan of theres but i liked all the tracks i heard of theres. which is quite an achievement. 

did you see them live at all. people i know who saw them said they sometimes got louder throughout shows and could get too loud.  

did you listen to abbath or immortal. its the vocals that are similar imo. music is bit different as is black metal. there a band who i want to see live. there live videos are so good. the wacken live show is so good and abbath is so funny and so good at working the crowd 🤘😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

your right about motorhead. there so consistent in doing good albums imo. im not biggest fan of theres but i liked all the tracks i heard of theres. which is quite an achievement. 

did you see them live at all. people i know who saw them said they sometimes got louder throughout shows and could get too loud.  

did you listen to abbath or immortal. its the vocals that are similar imo. music is bit different as is black metal. there a band who i want to see live. there live videos are so good. the wacken live show is so good and abbath is so funny and so good at working the crowd 🤘😁

 

I almost got to see them live, :(had tickets booked but Lemmy died a month before the concert :( and ive not listened to abbath or immortal yet, but wil give them a go? wanna send me a link or two and i'l check them out :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't a teenager but I'm really glad I got to see Motörhead a few times back in the 80's & early 90's. It was like a religious experience each time, it just felt so surreal to be standing just a few feet away from one of my larger than life metal heroes. They were a band that was born to play live in smokey clubs with sticky floors littered with empty beer cans in the dodgy part of town. I remmeber it was always loud and he had the microphone perched up above him, head cocked back in that classic Lemmy pose, screaming his lungs out, bullet belts all around (I wore one to shows myself back then in his honor) I was completely fucking starstuck. The only other "rockstar" type who ever affected me anything like that was Tom G. Warrior when I saw Celtic Frost once in the late 80's and then I saw him again many years later when I saw Triptykon at MDF. 

 

 

Motorhead - Lemmy and Eddie Clarke On Stage, 1982 Print - Music Poster

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

 

 

I almost got to see them live, :(had tickets booked but Lemmy died a month before the concert :( and ive not listened to abbath or immortal yet, but wil give them a go? wanna send me a link or two and i'l check them out :)

thats a shame re not seeing motorhead live. i bet theyd be good to. yeah will send you link for immortal or abbath. probably the wacken show when i can find it. 

21 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I wasn't a teenager but I'm really glad I got to see Motörhead a few times back in the 80's & early 90's. It was like a religious experience each time, it just felt so surreal to be standing just a few feet away from one of my larger than life metal heroes. They were a band that was born to play live in smokey clubs with sticky floors littered with empty beer cans in the dodgy part of town. I remmeber it was always loud and he had the microphone perched up above him, head cocked back in that classic Lemmy pose, screaming his lungs out, bullet belts all around (I wore one to shows myself back then in his honor) I was completely fucking starstuck. The only other "rockstar" type who ever affected me anything like that was Tom G. Warrior when I saw Celtic Frost once in the late 80's and then I saw him again many years later when I saw Triptykon at MDF. 

 

 

Motorhead - Lemmy and Eddie Clarke On Stage, 1982 Print - Music Poster

sounds like you liked watching motorhead live. were they amazing live. i can only imagine there music is better live than recorded stuff and thats stuff is solid and so good. 

re celtic frost and tryptokon. there too bands that i hear other bands talking them up alot. sounds cool though seeing them live. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to see Ministry by myself, traveled to Auckland, before the show I drank half a bottle of vodka, left the bottle in my hostel room and started walking to the venue, got to the venue and realized I had forgotten my ear plugs, walk back to the hostel, forgot about the ear plugs and drank the rest of the vodka. The next morning I had a Ministry stamp on my hand, so I know I was there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

 

 

I almost got to see them live, :(had tickets booked but Lemmy died a month before the concert :( and ive not listened to abbath or immortal yet, but wil give them a go? wanna send me a link or two and i'l check them out :)

heres a good bit of immortal for you. ive maxed it out like i do sometimes 👻☠️🥊🤗😜 tbh i like these alot. imo there really good immortal work. first video is 60 mins from live show at wacken,2nd video is a classic immortal track from wacken,  third video is a dramatic video and bit funny too and possibly easiest to get into if youve not heard immortal before,  fourth link is my favourite album of theres. took a few plays as was totally different to anything id heard before but after that its one of my go to favourites. also do you see a Lemmy style vocal similarity between frontman abbath and lemmy. i do a bit tbh others say the same.let me know how you get on with some or all of this. 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:06 AM, Sardonicist said:

I was going to see Ministry by myself, traveled to Auckland, before the show I drank half a bottle of vodka, left the bottle in my hostel room and started walking to the venue, got to the venue and realized I had forgotten my ear plugs, walk back to the hostel, forgot about the ear plugs and drank the rest of the vodka. The next morning I had a Ministry stamp on my hand, so I know I was there. 

great story sardonicist.imo thats how to tell a story like this.  if it was  now would youve held back on the alcohol so you could have remembered the show with a more clear head. am i assuming wrong. 👍🤘🥃 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

 

 

I almost got to see them live, :(had tickets booked but Lemmy died a month before the concert :( and ive not listened to abbath or immortal yet, but wil give them a go? wanna send me a link or two and i'l check them out :)

what did you think of immortal, was singing close to lemmy style singing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if somebody mentioned this before, I didn't read through the whole conversation. But Abbath is also a member of Bombers, a Motorhead tribute band. So I guess it's not a coincidence that the singing styles might seem similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Vitogh said:

Sorry if somebody mentioned this before, I didn't read through the whole conversation. But Abbath is also a member of Bombers, a Motorhead tribute band. So I guess it's not a coincidence that the singing styles might seem similar.

thats new to me. might youtube them, when i hear abbath sing, lemmy influence is there for me,on you tube the comments section theres always a motorhead mention in there. when id see abbath on video or live. always thought of kiss, read in interview he was massive kiss fan as a kid,   imo those influences are there for me, mind you both bands are legends imho.  

thanks though vitogh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 4 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • Full length number 19 from overkill certainly makes a splash in the energy stakes, I mean there's some modern thrash bands that are a good two decades younger than Overkill who can only hope to achieve the levels of spunk that New Jersey's finest produce here.  That in itself is an achievement, for a band of Overkill's stature and reputation to be able to still sound relevant four decades into their career is no mean feat.  Even in the albums weaker moments it never gets redundant and the energy levels remain high.  There's a real sense of a band in a state of some renewed vigour, helped in no small part by the addition of Jason Bittner on drums.  The former Flotsam & Jetsam skinsman is nothing short of superb throughout "The Wings of War" and seems to have squeezed a little extra out of the rest of his peers.

      The album kicks of with a great build to opening track "Last Man Standing" and for the first 4 tracks of the album the Overkill crew stomp, bash and groove their way to a solid level of consistency.  The lead work is of particular note and Blitz sounds as sneery and scathing as ever.  The album is well produced and mixed too with all parts of the thrash machine audible as the five piece hammer away at your skull with the usual blend of chugging riffs and infectious anthems.  


      There are weak moments as mentioned but they are more a victim of how good the strong tracks are.  In it's own right "Distortion" is a solid enough - if not slightly varied a journey from the last offering - but it just doesn't stand up well against a "Bat Shit Crazy" or a "Head of a Pin".  As the album draws to a close you get the increasing impression that the last few tracks are rescued really by some great solos and stomping skin work which is a shame because trimming of a couple of tracks may have made this less obvious. 

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
×
×
  • Create New...