What Are You Listening To?

khaos

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not ever in my memory.

Dunno. Eels supporters would shop at Kmart though. We are dumb enough to follow a team of losing losers so any old crap will do.

I'm not even sure our closest Kmart has an AFL section, which is almost unheard of for a retail store in Victoria. About all I know they sell is Lego, one of my girls and her cousin often buy Lego sets at Kmart cheaper than anywhere else. But otherwise I don't reckon I've been in a Kmart store for 20 years and back then it was because it was the only retail store in the area.

NP: Starer - Wind, Breeze, or Breath

▶︎ Wind, Breeze, or Breath | STARER | Fólkvangr Records (bandcamp.com)

a3255128249_10.jpg

This is cool. I dig the atmospherics that still allow what should arguably be the star of the album: The guitars to utilize it's full scope. It's actually kind of neat how a slight change from the norm in tuning can highlight aspects of the songs that wouldn't have come forward before. I'd be interested in knowing what tuning they're using in most of the songs. Mind it's not in any was disso-black or disso-death or anything too radical. The songs are tonal, and it might even be something as simple as the dreaded drop-D so loathed by metalheads (myself included). There's something on point when this thing comes blasting out of the gate that creates a phantom note withing the chord progression. Thinking I might buy this, but I'll let the album play through and see how I feel about it. At the very least these guys get a spot on my 'bands to look out for' list.

6 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Starer - Wind, Breeze, or Breath

▶︎ Wind, Breeze, or Breath | STARER | Fólkvangr Records (bandcamp.com)

a3255128249_10.jpg

This is cool. I dig the atmospherics that still allow what should arguably be the star of the album: The guitars to utilize it's full scope. It's actually kind of neat how a slight change from the norm in tuning can highlight aspects of the songs that wouldn't have come forward before. I'd be interested in knowing what tuning they're using in most of the songs. Mind it's not in any was disso-black or disso-death or anything too radical. The songs are tonal, and it might even be something as simple as the dreaded drop-D so loathed by metalheads (myself included). There's something on point when this thing comes blasting out of the gate that creates a phantom note withing the chord progression. Thinking I might buy this, but I'll let the album play through and see how I feel about it. At the very least these guys get a spot on my 'bands to look out for' list.

I liked 18 degrees below the horizon. I have a bunch of his stuff and it all runs together. I'll give this a spin though because why the fuck not.

Sunday morning chill

Hugo Kant - Out of Time

32 minutes ago, navybsn said:

I liked 18 degrees below the horizon. I have a bunch of his stuff and it all runs together. I'll give this a spin though because why the fuck not.

Sunday morning chill

Hugo Kant - Out of Time

I guess I didn't read far enough into the bio to know it was a single musician. That's relatively impressive. I feel like with one man bands the results are either brilliant or awful. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

8 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

it might even be something as simple as the dreaded drop-D so loathed by metalheads (myself included)

Never heard of drop tunings being loathed. There used to be a stereotype about how they were for lazy guitarists who just wanted to play power chords with one finger but I haven't seen that floating around in a while either. What don't you like about it?

34 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Never heard of drop tunings being loathed. There used to be a stereotype about how they were for lazy guitarists who just wanted to play power chords with one finger but I haven't seen that floating around in a while either. What don't you like about it?

Drop-D specifically is permanently linked in my mind to nu-metal. The problem is primarily one of variety. When you see or hear that Korn level of terrible hip-hop beats using that tuning it can get tiresome, and it's a pretty good indicator of a lack of instrumental dynamics within a song. Even back in the day when I could pretty comfortably use a nice acoustic guitar seeing Drop-D come out again and again when some players had barely learned what a scale was, you knew it was going to suck. Most fledgling guitarists who don't even learn basic chord progressions love to use it because they link it to very shallow and ultimately annoying "heaviness" associated with the sound. I'm not even all that against the tuning so long as they can craft a solid song out of it, but I've found most of them can't.

3 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Drop-D specifically is permanently linked in my mind to nu-metal. The problem is primarily one of variety. When you see or hear that Korn level of terrible hip-hop beats using that tuning it can get tiresome, and it's a pretty good indicator of a lack of instrumental dynamics within a song. Even back in the day when I could pretty comfortably use a nice acoustic guitar seeing Drop-D come out again and again when some players had barely learned what a scale was, you knew it was going to suck. Most fledgling guitarists who don't even learn basic chord progressions love to use it because they link it to very shallow and ultimately annoying "heaviness" associated with the sound. I'm not even all that against the tuning so long as they can craft a solid song out of it, but I've found most of them can't.

That's the stereotype I was talking about. I don't think it's warranted, doesn't line up with my personal experience, but I know where it's coming from. Are you speaking more as a listener or a player? Is it more to do with bands you don't like or crappy playing that you've seen around at guitar stores and local shows? 

FEN - Monuments to Absence. Listening post my last listen.

CHARLIE PARKERBird's The Word. I haven't listened to this in years. Parker is, of course, the jazz equivalent of Beethoven, I guess. Splendid difficult genius. One is not allowed not to love him, but listening today I could hear the many fluffed notes - these 1950's jazz sessions must have been rough and ready with no time or money for retakes unless everything went bad -  and he always played on the edge of squealing. Still, a splendid difficult genius.

NP - PYRAMIDS - Pyramids Same band, same album title but this is their previous album, not the one I posted the other day. This is annoying ambient noise that no one will love, not even me.

I came across an interview with Lou Reed the other day - he was waxing lyrical about how much he loved his double album of unlistenable feedback, what a jolly joke it was. What a prick. Calling two albums the same thing even when the music is entirely different is also a prick move, but not as much as sneering at the rubes who didn't like the shit show  you served up of a double album of feedback knowing it was unlistenable crap.

I'm not angry. I bought this album years ago for I don't know what reason and just found it again and uploaded the CD to my computer yesterday. I now remember why I only listened to this once then put it away. It is annoying ambient noise, and I don't love it. But I don't hate it either.

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I came across an interview with Lou Reed the other day - he was waxing lyrical about how much he loved his double album of unlistenable feedback, what a jolly joke it was. What a prick. Calling two albums the same thing even when the music is entirely different is also a prick move, but not as much as sneering at the rubes who didn't like the shit show you served up of a double album of feedback knowing it was unlistenable crap.

I'm not angry. I bought this album years ago for I don't know what reason and just found it again and uploaded the CD to my computer yesterday. I now remember why I only listened to this once then put it away. It is annoying ambient noise, and I don't love it. But I don't hate it either.

Metal Machine Music got a lot of press back in the mid 70's. You would have thought it was some groundbreaking, avant-garde piece of music the way the critics went on about it. I didn't buy it and I never even got around to checking it out til many decades later, probably just within the last 5 years. What a sick fucking joke, it was literally a shit sandwich for all the fans that took a chance and paid money for it. Essentially an album of static like one might hear in between radio stations. But of course Doc doesn't hate it and instead upoads it. 🙄

The Glorious Dead - Cemetery Paths, death metal Traverse City MI. Going back for another listen. Sounds like my kinda thing, question is does it bring the riffs?

Do they really all have face tattoos or did they just photoshop that shit in?

The Glorious Dead - Photo

38 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

CHARLIE PARKERBird's The Word. I haven't listened to this in years. Parker is, of course, the jazz equivalent of Beethoven, I guess. Splendid difficult genius. One is not allowed not to love him, but listening today I could hear the many fluffed notes - these 1950's jazz sessions must have been rough and ready with no time or money for retakes unless everything went bad -  and he always played on the edge of squealing. Still, a splendid difficult genius.

The Trashmen - Surfin Bird - Bird is the Word 1963