What Are You Listening To?

khaos

11 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Carcass - Torn Arteries

Not exactly terrible but for the first time not exactly inspiring.

Carcass were one of those bands for whom you could almost certainly find defenders of every one of their various stages. I've even met a few people who insist that Heartwork is their worst album, which I find completely baffling.

NP: The Glorious Dead - Cemetery Paths

▶︎ Cemetery Paths | The Glorious Dead | Bindrune Recordings (bandcamp.com)

a0265164459_10.jpg

Excellent stuff. Their sound kind of invites some unfair comparisons. The vocals and guitar tone is a lot like Wode, but this is pretty much pure death metal whatever tag they get put under. Fortunately it's very good death metal, so genre nitpicks are of no consequence.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

HWWAUOCH - Into the Labyrinth of Consciousness. Country unknown 2019It got a bit same-ish as it went on.

It's like they put all their effort and energy into achieving the atmophere but then forgot to write any real music. And I know there are people who would probably say that about a lot of stuff we listen to, but this is a particularly bad offender. Even 36 minutes of this woud be too much, I'm bored by the end of track 2. So moving on...

Ritual Mass - Abhorred in the Eyes of God EP, black/death Pittsburgh PA 2019

Complot! - Obéissance EP, Canadian war metal

Gotthammer - Godslaying Sonic Barbarism EP, Canadian war metal

31 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The Glorious Dead - Cemetery Paths

Excellent stuff. Their sound kind of invites some unfair comparisons. The vocals and guitar tone is a lot like Wode, but this is pretty much pure death metal whatever tag they get put under. Fortunately it's very good death metal, so genre nitpicks are of no consequence.

Heard this a week or two ago, filed it under: not sure,  give it a week or two and then revisit. Maybe tonight will be the night. Definitey death metal. 

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Maiden - Matter of Life and Death

You're not done with this yet? How many of these are there?

NP: Passéisme - Alternance

▶︎ Alternance | Passéisme (bandcamp.com)

a3996879225_10.jpg

Looking at that cover, I would have put money on this turning out to be some variety of folk metal. Well it's not that. This might turn out to be one of the only albums I've heard this year that I don't fully know how to categorize. It's not 'post' anything as far as I can tell. I like how quickly the riffage comes at you and lets you know this isn't going to be a sing-song Scandinavian polka kind of thing. I also like how every element is so clearly measured. Only real complaint I have is the vocals. They just don't quite fit. It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but it's pronounced enough to notice. Overall it makes for a very potent attack. Interesting stuff.

Invultation - Feral Legion, one-man bestial black/death Columbus Ohio. Been waiting for this one to drop. Not sure what I think yet. I mean I knew from the promo track it'd be good, but is it better than Unconquerable Death?

Demonic Being - Invocations From the Ancient Path, sick Mexican black metal de Guadalajara. Went to Bandcamp immediately to have a look and I see it says $100 Mexican (Pesos) for the digital album. First thought: oh shit why is it $100? But then in the cart I see that works out to a mere $5.85 US (€5.37 Euros, $9.14 AUD, £4.63 GBP) Alright, that's more like it amigos, I can do $6 bucks. This kills.

NP: Eminentia Tenebris - Rise of a New Kingdom

▶︎ Rise of a New Kingdom | Eminentia Tenebris | Antiq (bandcamp.com)

a1591110577_10.jpg

I don't really mind if it takes a ton of influence from Emperor as long as it's a quality imitation which I would say this is. What I do mind however is the programmed drumming. It seriously kills the whole vibe here. I get that passionate musicians understandably want to surround themselves with equally passionate and capable musicians. It has to be tough handing over an entire instrument in your band to somebody who doesn't really know much about what's expected of them or the genre in general. I would imagine it's like leaving your kid with a sitter for the first time. Still I'd say that even teaching some kid a few basic 3/4 or 4/4 timings and letting them play the drums. It's not like it could be any worse than the programming sounds, and that way you get that all too pivotal 'human' element to the whole thing.

8 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Maiden - Matter Of Life And Death

I've always had a weird soft spot for this album. Brave New World didn't do much for me, and of course there's the dreaded repetition of a single line chorus ad nauseum. The album drags a bit through a few of the later tracks, but the variety is there.

19 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I don't really mind if it takes a ton of influence from Emperor as long as it's a quality imitation which I would say this is. What I do mind however is the programmed drumming. It seriously kills the whole vibe here. I get that passionate musicians understandably want to surround themselves with equally passionate and capable musicians. It has to be tough handing over an entire instrument in your band to somebody who doesn't really know much about what's expected of them or the genre in general. I would imagine it's like leaving your kid with a sitter for the first time. Still I'd say that even teaching some kid a few basic 3/4 or 4/4 timings and letting them play the drums. It's not like it could be any worse than the programming sounds, and that way you get that all too pivotal 'human' element to the whole thing.

I totally agree. In general, I don't spend a lot of time on albums where the drums aren't played by a human.

And sometimes I wonder if it's actually a drummer playing on certain albums. One example is Annihilator's Metal album, on which Mike Mangini is supposed to play. Last year, Jeff Waters released Metal II, which is nothing more and nothing less than the Metal album reinterpreted a little differently, this time with Dave Lombardo behind the drums. There's a considerable difference between the way the drums sound on these two albums. On Metal II, Lombardo produces a very 'human' drum sound, whereas the Mangini version on Metal I sounds more 'clinical' and 'cold'. I've always wondered whether Mangini really played on Metal?

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Plenty of music here.

A veritable cornucopia. BUT, it's pretty, progressive, post-metal. Which is fine for some folks down under apparently, but I can derive no enjoyment from crap like this. And then when the screamo vocals came in, holy shit I couldn't find the mouse to click that x fast enough. I should never have opened that door. You'd been doing so well there for awhile too, I was starting to trust you, but this was one of your worst recos in recent memory Doc. Might rather listen to nu-metal than this nonsense.

Cemetery Dwell - Towards a Dreadful Cosmos, death metal Argentina. Well alright maybe not nu-metal, but definitely some brutal Argentinian death. Sounds like a more savage South American Grave. I've been hitting the Youtube jackpot tonight with these last few. 

Sulphuric Death - Beyond the Void of Doom EP, Santiago Chile. Clicked on at least a dozen things trying to find another new death metal album, but nothing was doing anything for me. Seems my luck is running out as the sun is coming up. Until I went back south of the border to Chile.

13 minutes ago, Arioch said:

I totally agree. In general, I don't spend a lot of time on albums where the drums aren't played by a human.

And sometimes I wonder if it's actually a drummer playing on certain albums. One example is Annihilator's Metal album, on which Mike Mangini is supposed to play. Last year, Jeff Waters released Metal II, which is nothing more and nothing less than the Metal album reinterpreted a little differently, this time with Dave Lombardo behind the drums. There's a considerable difference between the way the drums sound on these two albums. On Metal II, Lombardo produces a very 'human' drum sound, whereas the Mangini version on Metal I sounds more 'clinical' and 'cold'. I've always wondered whether Mangini really played on Metal?

How can you tell the difference? I can't.

Maybe Mangini is a cyborg? That would be the simplest explanation. Did you ever think of that?

Hell's Coronation - Transgression of a Necromantical Darkness, black/doom. The new one from two of my favorite nice Polish boys. This was going to be a purchase as soon as I saw they had a new one out. I wouldn't want all my black metal bands to chug along at this slow of a pace, but it's good to have this one.

Spectral Whisper - Enchantress of Black Curses, Germany