What Are You Listening To?

khaos

48 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Soulfly - Archangel

Probably not metal by the standards of some people here, but a fun little trip full of Max Cavalera riffs that covers his whole career.

I'd never heard Soulfly before tonight believe it or not, so I figured why not take a little listen. This is much better than I was expecting. Like much much better after all the crap I've heard about them over the years. I'm not tempted to buy this or anything, it's not really my thing and I might never have reason to listen to them ever again. But I really don't see how you could classify this as anything but metal. It's a long way from kvlt black metal but it's a long way from Twivium too. I think it's even a long way from Roots. It's somewhat groovy, but this does not seem to have any super melodic screamo choruses like Twivium do, nor does it sound super duper plastic and commercial like Twivium does, (not on most of the tracks anyway) and I think we've established that even Twivium are most likely a metal band. Even if Blivvington might disagree.

18 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'd never heard Soulfly before tonight believe it or not, so I figured why not take a little listen. This is much better than I was expecting. Like much much better after all the crap I've heard about them over the years. 

Max went back to more traditional forms of metal from 2005 onwards (though some metalheads would probably refute this).  There's still some nu-metal tendencies popping up every now and then but it's mainly thrash metal, groove metal and hardcore as well as some Celtic Frost type riffs.  Basically an amalgamation of his whole career starting with early Sepultura.

The only real issue is the albums have started to blur a bit as they all sound the same after a while.  Same with Cavalera Conspiracy (with his brother Igor).  Both bands are interchangeable to a degree.

I offloaded a lot of my Soulfly albums for this reason and only kept Archangel and Conquer.  Also kept the first two  Cavalera Conspiracy albums as well as classic Sepultura (from Schizophrenia to Roots).

Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Also probably not metal to some metalheads.  Absolutely love this album and in some ways I think their apex.  Certainly never did anything this good afterwards.

Jon Schaffer not to be sentenced until February 2024 for his role in Jan 6.  Holy shit, American court systems are as slow and inefficient as Australian ones.  Justice is a comedic joke in the west.  I actually prefer the Singaporean system complete with its corporal and capital punishment but as well as its intrinsic fairness and efficiency  - in fact I think Singapore's benign semi-authoritarianism is the ideal human type of government.  

Listened through the entire Warbringer catalog today.  Definitely one of my top 5 favorite new wave thrash bands:

1) Angelus Apatrida

2) Enforced

3) Havok

4) Evile

5) Warbringer

Their 4th album, "IV: Empires Collapse" is my least favorite, but it still has some great songs on it here and there.  The latest one, "Weapons of Tomorrow" (2020), is fantastic!

Metal Church - "Congregation of Annihilation"

Wreck-Defy - "Remnants of Pain"

Fantastic newer thrash band!  They incorporate some different styles as well, such as a more traditional metal sound at times.  The vocals are melodic, but gritty - not the upper-register tone you typically hear in speed metal.  They have 3 albums out that I'm aware of, and all 3 are great.  Highly recommended.

44 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Never heard a Soulfly or Cavalera Conspiracy album, but I have seen CC live twice now and will again next month. Each time doing old school Sepultura sets. The BTR/Arise sets were punishingly good and I expect that the Bestial Devastation/Morbid Visions one will be as well.

That sounds fucking awesome!

40 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Listened through the entire Warbringer catalog today.  Definitely one of my top 5 favorite new wave thrash bands:

1) Angelus Apatrida

2) Enforced

3) Havok

4) Evile

5) Warbringer

Their 4th album, "IV: Empires Collapse" is my least favorite, but it still has some great songs on it here and there.  The latest one, "Weapons of Tomorrow" (2020), is fantastic!

Not necessarily a fan of bands, but some of those you've listed have put out some great albums.

Warbringer - Waking into Nightmares and Weapons of Tomorow

Havok - Conformicide - probably my favourite modern thrash album alongside Toxic Holocaust's Primal Future: 2019 

Evile - Five Serpents Teeth though Enter The Grave is pretty good too.

Enforced - probably the weakest of the bunch but Kill Grid was pretty decent.

Wreck-Defy - "Remnants of Pain"

Will check it out.

Metal Church - "Congregation of Annihilation

The surprise of the year though I need more time with it.

Evile - The Unknown

Ok I had expect to hate it due to it slowing down.  But it's actually quite listenable.  Definitely going down a doomier route.    Bits sound almost Paradise Lost.

Probably not metal enough for some people though.

8 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I agree, but they haven't released a bad album in their history!

And the cover is a bitch to do as a 2000 piece jigsaw.

Bah I hate puzzles.  My anxiety to finish them kicks into overdrive and I obsess on them and have to finish them as soon as possible.

Iron Maiden - X Factor

Been a long time since I've listened to this one.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

We don't all have a miniature to play with.

I am sure everyone can find a miniature to play with.l even if you pay for one.

Celtic Frost - Vanity/Nemesis

Celtic Frost goes mainstream thrash complete with Mustaine-esque vocals.  Still I enjoy this album immensely.

Oh and listened to Maiden's X Factor and yes that album is a 2 out of 5.  A couple of OK songs but let down ny bloated song writing and flaccid production and performances all round.

24 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I am sure everyobe can find a miniature to play with.

The smaller your hands the bigger what's in them!

25 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Oh and listened to Maiden's X Factor and yes that album is a 2 out of 5.  A couple of OK songs but let down ny bloated sing writing and flaccid production and performances all round.

You've mentioned all the good parts.

Maiden - Dance Of Death

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't care much for Russian Circles or Deicide, but I'd be all over that Wiegedood, good band they're killer. Unlikely pairing but have fun man! Or...I see it's already 11:30 pm where you are so I guess the show's probably just about over if you're not even on the train home already. So I hope you had a gay old time and enjoyed both bands. Cool when that happens, you get into something and then just a few days later you realize oh shit they're playing TONIGHT.

It was worth the trip. The Wedgie Doods were great. Listening to the bandcamp albums now. Unfortunately they are on my shitlist, having signed to Century Media, and no BC for latest album. So dumb. I hope you enjoy your 1 cent per billion streams on Spotify.

Live, they weren't exactly animated and I am very wary of a band with no bass but the drummer was notably cool, kind of like John Bonham doing blast beats. @GoatmasterGeneral would argue it doesn't matter for black metal, however, it sure don't look right.

Anyway, am I a fan of the band if I refuse to buy their album on the basis it is on Century Media? Yet a fan of the albums available to me.

IMG_20230814_192904.jpg.4524c7d3ea3b8809a69b9d21c162dc70.jpg

After a fairly quick turnover and dead on time for the very early start of 8.05pm for the headliner, Russian Circles took the stage (mind you, they set up all their own gear so appeared to little rockstar fanfare). I am struck that this would be the perfect post metal band if they were fronted by Aaron Turner. Now that the post-Neurosis future of post metal is so uncertain.

Since I don't know RC that well, this was more of a curious reconnaissance mission where I happened to pick up another band I'll be coming back to (bassless though they may be). 

Anyhow, they put on a good show. As @navybsn noted, probably more reliable than Deicide. I only saw those guys once probably coming up 20 years ago when the Hoffman brothers were still onboard. I don't remember anything, but assume I enjoyed it. I came across a photo a while back which evidenced my brother was with me. So, it would have been a good night.

image.thumb.jpeg.2e8b3879a11b3e276258843058052e65.jpeg

A gay old time was had. I somehow remembered the layout of the club and the distinctive brick walls even though I would have been munted the last time I was there (my guess 2004 or 5).

Jeez, but I was lucky on the way home. My train was cancelled while I was sitting on it, yet I didn't hear the announcement as I've got new custom IEMs which let nothing through. Luckily, as everyone started disappearing, I worked out the train on the next platform was rerouted to take me home. Pity the poor bastards who wanted to get to Liverpool - where the original train was supposed to terminate. They were told "we can get you to Crewe, but there aren't any trains to Liverpool from there. We will look into it and hopefully sort out a bus or something. Enjoy the ride and have a great evening!"

The great British privatised rail service. Avanti, you cvnts.

But I got home only 10 minutes later than scheduled.

Jono,always a pleasure to read a gig experience.

At least you have trains in Britain.  Last Tassie passenger service was 1978 and the buses are expensive,rare and unreliable.  Back when I was in Uni I used to catch them from Hobart to Launceston they used to break down regularly (as did my school buses in high school).

NP: Sanctuarium - Into The Mephitic Abyss

▶︎ Into The Mephitic Abyss | Sanctuarium | BlackSeed Productions (bandcamp.com)

a4252147341_10.jpg

Have you ever been enjoying dISEMBOWELMENT and thought to yourself "This is great, but if they peppered in some faster segments for good measure"? Of course you have. You're only human after all, and boy oh boy do we have an album for you.

Joking aside the dISEMBOWELMENT influence is here in spades which is something I never thought I'd see. A big part of dISEMBOWELMENT's appeal was just how well kept a secret the were for a long time. Not to say that's the only thing they had going. They had one of those styles that, despite heroic efforts by others, seems to completely defy imitation. These guys may have cracked the case though, and I couldn't be happier for it. The faster segments bring the lightning while the doom brings the thunder. Good stuff.