What Are You Listening To?

khaos

Just now, GoatmasterGeneral said:

They're just little kids! But the record's not bad at all. A bit too polished maybe, they didn't leave too many rough edges. Promising though, they seem to have no problem coming up with riffs.

Begravement Lyrics, Songs, and Albums | Genius

Well their age makes it even more impressive.  It's some good death metal!

7 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

They're just little kids! But the record's not bad at all. A bit too polished maybe, they didn't leave too many rough edges. Promising though, they seem to have no problem coming up with riffs.

At the very least the other kids at their middle school should be impressed. The kid on the left is my hero look at that battle jacket.

10 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Dead serious 110% of the time.

You black metallers really show your band homage differently to others.

It only goes up to 100%

I was talking about mainstream Maiden fans, not black metallers. Why would us black metallers want to show Maiden our enthusiastic unbridled appreciation? We're not the ones who think they have an "outstanding catalogue of brilliance," that'd be you mainstream guys who hold the Iron Bitch in such high esteem.

4 minutes ago, Hungarino said:

At the very least the other kids at their middle school should be impressed. The kid on the left is my hero look at that battle jacket.

Absolutely, I'm 30 minutes in now, I might even buy this, it's pretty rifftastic.

4 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It only goes up to 100%

I agree 110%

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I was talking about mainstream Maiden fans, not black metallers. Why would us black metallers want to show Maiden our enthusiastic unbridled appreciation? We're not the ones who think they have an "outstanding catalogue of brilliance," that'd be you mainstream guys who hold the Iron Bitch in such high esteem.

It was your story, you had all the details, I don't know why black metallers do what they do.

10 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

It was your story, you had all the details, I don't know why black metallers do what they do.

I don't either man, I'm the only black metaller I know. But I know we're not at Maiden concerts offering blowies to the band for a job well done and their catalogue of brilliance. We would only do that at Archgoat shows. 

1 minute ago, AlSymerz said:

Fuck it, if only the BJ offers went to hanger's on as well. Twice I've been back stage at Maiden gigs and not once was I offered a BJ.

Maybe if you took off the farmer's outfit and scraped some of the cowshit off your shoes you might be able to pass for a crew member at least. I know you try to step around and avoid the cow pies but it's gotta be impossible when there are so damn many of them. Either way wtf are you doing backstage anyway dude, don't tell me you're a groupie? 

NP: Embodied Torment - Archaic Bloodshed

▶︎ Embodied Torment | Archaic Bloodshed | New Standard Elite (bandcamp.com)

a1191466617_10.jpg

Damn. The full length has got to be up next. I'm really picky about anything that could be considered in the ballpark of Defeated Sanity. The reason being there are a million bands whose dedication to being as brutal as possible, and that often comes at the expense of clarity of vision and craftsmanship in the songs. It's like the Hadron collider blasting particles into each other creating these molecules that only stay together for millionths of a second. These guys Defeated Sanity and a handful of other super focused brutal death metal bands are the result of that particle stabilizing beyond my expectations. I like it enough that I think I'm going to try and track down their full length.

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Maybe if you took off the farmer's outfit and scraped some of the cowshit off your shoes you might be able to pass for a crew member at least. I know you try to step around and avoid the cow pies but it's gotta be impossible when there are so damn many of them.

Only city boys walk around cow shit.

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Either way wtf are you doing backstage anyway dude, don't tell me you're a groupie? 

Well I did wake up the following day with a sore jaw, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This is going to sound mean, but I kind of wish metal would leave the patched up jacket behind. I understand fashion was never the point, but these jackets all look way too busy and the colors don't match anything. There's plenty of options for concert tees that actually look okay. Cool that they wanna sow on their decorations, but I can't help but feel any time you're looking up sartory it loses a bit of that metalness.

The Avett Brothers - Live Vol. 4

5 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

This is going to sound mean, but I kind of wish metal would leave the patched up jacket behind. I understand fashion was never the point, but these jackets all look way too busy and the colors don't match anything. There's plenty of options for concert tees that actually look okay. Cool that they wanna sow on their decorations, but I can't help but feel any time you're looking up sartory it loses a bit of that metalness.

I have said battle jacket and wear it at shows from time to time. Usually when it's cool outside (which isn't often). I refuse to wear one with shorts, a personal pet peeve of mine. I keep it around for one simple reason. Storage. I can cram a ton of merch in the pockets, not to mention a spare beer, cash, phone, and a corn dog or 2.

De Doden Hebben Het Goed | Wiegedood (bandcamp.com)

The other day I posted aboot Russian Circles. By blind luck I checked their giglist on bandcamp and turned out they are playing TONIGHT. So, got a ticket and off to catch train shortly.

These guys (Wiegedood) are opening. Interesting match as this is pretty brazen modern black metal. Should be good. They are playing at a gay club I haven't been to since the ecstasy days nearly 20 years ago. Full (Russian) circle.

Deicide is also playing in London tonight. I was torn between which to see, but a buddy of mine happened to already be going to RC. 

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Merle Haggard - Down Every Road 1962 - 1967

New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

De Doden Hebben Het Goed | Wiegedood (bandcamp.com)

The other day I posted aboot Russian Circles. By blind luck I checked their giglist on bandcamp and turned out they are playing TONIGHT. So, got a ticket and off to catch train shortly.

These guys (Wiegedood) are opening. Interesting match as this is pretty brazen modern black metal. Should be good. They are playing at a gay club I haven't been to since the ecstasy days nearly 20 years ago. Full (Russian) circle.

Deicide is also playing in London tonight. I was torn between which to see, but a buddy of mine happened to already be going to RC. 

Good choice. Never know what you get with Deicide. Sometimes they are fucking on point live. Other times...not so much. Saw them at MDF in 19 and walked out in the first 5 minutes. It was that bad. Saw them last year and it was killer. Wedgiedude and RC should be a surer bet.

NP: Black Sorcery - Deciphering Torment Through Malediction

▶︎ Deciphering Torment Through Malediction | Black Sorcery | Eternal Death (bandcamp.com)

a1431234847_10.jpg

Ah. This is what I needed the past few days. They're too melodic to be compared to the first couple Bathory albums, and they certainly don't merit a comparison to the food-poisoning level of raw of something like Beherit (Note to self, listen to more Beherit). They don't have the keys to fall back against so slowdowns with sparse plucking are out. And yet there's something compelling about the simplicity of artfully placed flourishes in between chord progressions, unexpectedly competent leads, clarity and realization of each track, and a nice healthy buzz that never obscures what they're doing.

If you can't tell yet I really like this, but we'll see in the next few days where I land since, as I said, this is almost exactly what I've been hungry for, and it could be affecting my opinion.  Blood, blasphemy, and baleful glee for the win.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Merle Haggard - Down Every Road 1962 - 1967

New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

Good choice. Never know what you get with Deicide. Sometimes they are fucking on point live. Other times...not so much. Saw them at MDF in 19 and walked out in the first 5 minutes. It was that bad. Saw them last year and it was killer. Wedgiedude and RC should be a surer bet.

That Nitty Gritty is especially strange since I was very very young when their mainstream hit came out. Merle is Merle of course. This really isn't my thing, but if I am going to hear it I would far prefer this to the miserable pop-country 'Taylor Swift in Daisy Dukes' stuff on the radio that's so difficult to fully avoid.

5 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Darkane - Insanity

Probably not metal by the standards of some people here  but a thoroughly enjoyable album that lives up to its title.

I've heard Layers of Lies, and I'd call it metal of the weirder sort. The chorus on the title track on that one has to be one of the best examples of what often gets called implied melody. The guy isn't really singing at all, but largely due to the closed melodic resolution of everything behind him you can still "hear" the notes. It's a strange approach, but on that album at least, it works.

42 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

That Nitty Gritty is especially strange since I was very very young when their mainstream hit came out. Merle is Merle of course. This really isn't my thing, but if I am going to hear it I would far prefer this to the miserable pop-country 'Taylor Swift in Daisy Dukes' stuff on the radio that's so difficult to fully avoid.

I can deal with most bluegrass and select country. Nothing anyone that listens to modern pop-country would recognize outside of a name drop in a garbage pop song. Folks like Merle, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, David Allen Coe, and George Jones were more metal than most anyone who have ever donned a bullet belt. Real MF'ers who went there, did it, and lived by their own rules. Most of it is considered "Outlaw Country" and there's still new artists putting it out today (Sturgill Simpson, Charley Crockett, Whitey Morgan and the 78's, Sarah Shook and the Disarmers, Rattlesnake Milk, among others). Provides a nice change to my steady diet of metal and punk (has a higher WAF too). Besides, I know it's not something anyone else here is really tracking and everyone else seems to have the more extreme side on lock down.

Dead Kennedys - Compilation

My dad had a bunch of folk and bluegrass LPs when I was a kid. Doc Watson, Bill Staines, The Seldom Scene, a whole boatload of stuff I can't remember. I never liked the bluegrass side of things, but his interest in folk music is why we'd listen to shows like Thistle & Shamrock and go to events like the Christmas Revels, and the music I heard there really spoke to me. Melodies and harmonies to die for, the same kinds of melodies and harmonies that would pull me into melodic DM and BM when I got older. That's how I spent the 80s; I was a little kid, we moved around a lot, we only listened to stuff from the 60s and 70s, and when I went somewhere with a friend's family when I was 8 or 9 years old I made them all laugh by not knowing who Michael Jackson was. I could take or leave a lot of things, but thinking about bluegrass makes me realize I wouldn't be who I am today without folk music.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

My dad had a bunch of folk and bluegrass LPs when I was a kid. Doc Watson, Bill Staines, The Seldom Scene, a whole boatload of stuff I can't remember. I never liked the bluegrass side of things, but his interest in folk music is why we'd listen to shows like Thistle & Shamrock and go to events like the Christmas Revels, and the music I heard there really spoke to me. Melodies and harmonies to die for, the same kinds of melodies and harmonies that would pull me into melodic DM and BM when I got older. That's how I spent the 80s; I was a little kid, we moved around a lot, we only listened to stuff from the 60s and 70s, and when I went somewhere with a friend's family when I was 8 or 9 years old I made them all laugh by not knowing who Michael Jackson was. I could take or leave a lot of things, but thinking about bluegrass makes me realize I wouldn't be who I am today without folk music.

I came to it rather late. Obviously, growing up in the south I heard plenty of country. I didn't differentiate country from folk or bluegrass back then. There was always old school country at my grandparents house. Merle, Hank Sr., Patsy Cline, etc. Never paid it no mind. I was a Dead head back in high school, but really for reasons other than the music. That's about it. I just knew I hated the usual shit I heard on the radio and couldn't get past that. I got into bluegrass while laying in a hospital bed 10-11 years ago whilst unsuccessfully trying to die from a variety of ailments. When you have 24 hours a day times 7.5 months to sleep, shit, and try not to die, you get off on some weird rabbit holes provided you have adequate Internet access. Surfing Spotify for hours looking for something different to listen to.  Found one band that did the old school in a new way and it was off to the races. Weird bedfellows in my collection for sure, but it's real authentic music that comes from genuine emotion and experience, not from a song factory. After years, I've found that it's the same thing that speaks to me about most of the metal I listen to. Everything from depression and anxiety, heartbreak and frustration, substance abuse, mental illness, hopelessness, etc. Not to mention that I got the woman to whom I'm related to by marriage hooked and it's one of the few areas of music we can both enjoy both live and recorded (along with 80's post punk, 90' cali punk, and weirdly Opeth). It's nice to be able to share at least a portion of my passion with her since she can usually give less than a single fuck about rock or metal.

3 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Black Sorcery - Deciphering Torment Through Malediction

Ah. This is what I needed the past few days. They're too melodic to be compared to the first couple Bathory albums, and they certainly don't merit a comparison to the food-poisoning level of raw of something like Beherit (Note to self, listen to more Beherit). They don't have the keys to fall back against so slowdowns with sparse plucking are out. And yet there's something compelling about the simplicity of artfully placed flourishes in between chord progressions, unexpectedly competent leads, clarity and realization of each track, and a nice healthy buzz that never obscures what they're doing.

If you can't tell yet I really like this, but we'll see in the next few days where I land since, as I said, this is almost exactly what I've been hungry for, and it could be affecting my opinion.  Blood, blasphemy, and baleful glee for the win.

I was a bit confused for a minute until I looked them up on M-A and realized there's this Black Sorcery from Providence Rhode Island, a raw black metal band formed in 2020, and then there's aslo The Black Sorcery from Edmonton Alberta, a black/death band who released one of my favorite albums/EP's from 2018 ...And the Beast Spake Death From Above.

Yeah this DTTM album you've posted here is pretty damn good. The combination of their raw sound (which is largely provided by the vocals) with the melody and competent musicianship is most appealing, think I'll be picking this up.

7 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Wiegedood - De Doden Hebben Het Goed

Don't care much for Russian Circles or Deicide, but I'd be all over that Wiegedood, good band they're killer. Unlikely pairing but have fun man! Or...I see it's already 11:30 pm where you are so I guess the show's probably just about over if you're not even on the train home already. So I hope you had a gay old time and enjoyed both bands. Cool when that happens, you get into something and then just a few days later you realize oh shit they're playing TONIGHT.