What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Hmm that’s a thread idea, let me think about it. Oddly the functionality to create threads as a tantrum when I tried to do so using the text to speech on my phone.

Spire, Hope Drone, Mournful Congregation and, fuck youse all, Portal come immediately to mind.

2 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Never been able to stand D666. They seem to be so highly respected by overseas metalheads but most of the Aussies I know sit somewhere between "can't stand them" to "they're ok".

Most Aussie metalheads I've met have never heard of them.  Love their Slipknot though!  😁

Personally I like their newer stuff and don't mind their older stuff.  Wildfire is one of my favourite 21st century albums.

20 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Sure they look goofy, but is it worse then Bruce running around in a Redcoat outfit during The Trooper, or corpse paint? Though I imagine their dissonant, chaotic, brand of death metal wouldn’t help your perception.

I actually think Portal look cool - reminds of a horror video game.   No time for their music.

32 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I actually think Portal look cool - reminds of a horror video game.   No time for their music.

Opposite ends of the spectrum on that music, and that look, then it seems. Kind of ironic, the blind man judging a band on their appearance isn’t it? Just thought of some more Australian bands that would make my list as well… Drowning the Light, Impetuous Ritual and Misery’s Omen, also maybe Beyond Terror Beyond Grace and Fuck…I’m Dead, Slaughter Lord too but I don’t think I can justify a band whose only release was a compilation of their demo material

Velnias - Rending of Dyadic Convolution (2023)

Fuck Around Fridays  lands me with blackened folk/doom outfit Velnias.  Like a less blackened Fen but not quite as dull as Agalloch, this is the US quartet's latest offering.  It is available wherever music is sold and at 12 minutes long this EP fills a nice hole in time before the first of many video conference calls today.  Sort of "ease me into Friday" music.

1 hour ago, Arioch said:

Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne (1999)

Hate Eternal - Fury & Flames (2008)

Fantastic choices!  Hate Eternal is my favorite death metal band.  "Fury & Flames" is my favorite album of theirs.  It is absolutely chaotic the entire way through and took several listens for it to really sink in, but I now hold the opinion that it's their best work.  It's also pretty cool that Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse played bass on that release.  "I, Monarch" is my second favorite album of theirs, but they're all really solid.

13 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Springtime hasn't fully kicked in yet up north here, it's still pretty chilly most mornings and barely reaching 60° in the afternoons. But when spring arrives Molly Hatchet is my soundtrack of springtime, first warm day I'll be driving around with the windows down blasting one of their first 4.

Guess I can't put this off any longer, figure I'd better give this 72 Snores album a go just so I don't have to hear people tell me I can't criticize it without even having heard it. I'm all the way on track 5 now so in another 45 minutes or so I will have heard it. First impression of track 1 was it's really not that bad for a modern Metallica album. But track 2 and 3 are generic, bland and mediocre to the point where I'm finding it hard to pay attention. Already forgot track 4 and track 5 is just bad. I wonder if they shot their whole load on track 1? It feels like they made an album for the sake of making an album. Not bad, not offensive, but I can't imagine anyone getting excited over bland generic riffs such as these. And I really can't stand the sound of James' voice anymore after being pretty heavily into it back in ther 80's. But I guess I should never underestimate the ability of mainstreamers to get all worked up over nothing. I'm sure it will sell many millions. At the end of the day my main takeaway is this is just not a style of music I'm at all interested in at this point in my journey.

Without having listened to it (yet) , what do you want to bet it will be on many a EOTY list as the best album of 2023? Decibel and rolling Stone for sure. 

4 hours ago, Arioch said:

Hate Eternal - Conquering the Throne (1999)

Hate Eternal - Fury & Flames (2008)

I actually like Hate Eternal. I think it comes down to death metal that I came out out when I first started dabbling in the genre that I have a soft spot for. 

1 hour ago, markm said:

Without having listened to it (yet), what do you want to bet it will be on many an EOTY list as the best album of 2023? Decibel and Rolling Stone for sure. 

100% it will be on myriad mainstream end of year lists. If not their #1 then surely in their top 5. It'd be commercial and professional suicide not to publicly fellate Metallica, the biggest metal band in the land. Lars and James have done us all this huge favor by giving us a new Metallica album and they must be properly praised or else they might not be inclined to give us any more.

None of my personal top 40 metal albums will be represented on any of the year end lists, but I might see an album or two that I just happened to buy during the year down towards the bottom. So far this year I have only picked up one major label (NB) release and that's Scorched, so right now that's the only one of my 42 I'd expect could have any shot at making anyone's list. Oh and Hellbringer, almost forgot about that one, think that might get some mainstream attention.

Speaking of year end lists, I've had that Verminous Serpent album penciled in as my tentative #1 for the last month or so, but last night I discovered its potential competition, Olde Throne, a black metal band from Christchurch New Zealand. (abum video posted on last page) Now today I see there's the new Dorthia Cottrell album I've been waiting for. Not metal but very exciting nonetheless.

Dorthia Cottrell - Death Folk Country, second time through this seems a bit overproduced as compared to her first solo album, but I guess that was to be expected. They've got her vox triple tracked this time with more instrumentation. I hear some drums and an organ, even an electric bass and guitar on one track. First one was more bare bones with just acoustic guitar and pedal steel, no percussion or keys or anything else except her earthy velvet voice which was rightfully the star of the show.

11 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Never been able to stand D666. They seem to be so highly respected by overseas metalheads but most of the Aussies I know sit somewhere between "can't stand them" to "they're ok".

Amuses me that every time I mention D666 I'm informed that Australians don't give a shit about D666. Which is fine, different strokes or whatever, I get that the goat aesthetic is not for everyone. But they haven't been based in Melbourne in over 20 years now, they've been chilling in the Netherlands. It's not like I enjoy them because they're Australian, and at this point Keith is the only Aussie left in the band anyway since Shrapnel left 11 years ago, and now he's got himself an international supporting cast.

I'm not in love with Wildfire or their newest one, although neither one of those were bad albums by any means, they just didn't reach the heights of some of their earlier stuff. Defiance would probably be in my top 25 albums of all time (from any country). And Phoenix Rising is a classic as well if even just for I Am the Wargod and Lone Wolf Winter. 

15 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Saw them live once in their stupid beekeeper suits. Fucking bodgie as.

When I saw them a few years ago the band were in matching black normal attire but the singer was a grandfather clock and had to be led on and off stage. What naughty boys.

It was an awesome set though.