What Are You Listening To?

khaos

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Omega - The Hell Patrol, blackened speed metal Greece 2013

Goatkraft - Sulphurous Northern Bestiality, Norway 2019. Thrashy black metal that I thought was just a bit too black to make my thrash list.

My pleasure James Thomas. I'm honored that some young dude my daughter's age thinks enough of what I have to say that he's willing to seek out and follow up on recos from some old man who's probably older than his father. Not sure how many of those will be quite your speed, but I do hope you find at least a couple of new bands that you like.

I've been trying to get into Hellripper lately.  I'm liking the new release quite a bit!  Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with Power Trip.  I love them, but I respect the difference in our musical tastes haha. 

I meant to ask you earlier if you've ever heard of Nervosa.  They're an all-female blackened thrash outfit, although you'd never know that unless you looked it up.  They released their first 3 albums with mostly the same lineup, and after that, 3 of the 4 members left and created a death metal band called Crypta.  The lone remaining Nervosa member surrounded herself with 3 new bandmates, and then they released the 4th Nervosa album called "Perpetual Chaos" in 2021.  Evidently, they've since revamped the lineup again, with lone original member Prika Amaral taking over vocal duties and once again surrounding herself with new members.  Anyway, these ladies can really play!  The music is pretty fierce, and the vocals are solid as well.  If you have the time, Nervosa is a band you might enjoy.

Overkill - Necroshine, 1999, been kinda stuck on this one lately, just listened twice. This album was one of their sleeper assasins people like to dismiss because it was released in the 90's but it would sneak up in the night and slit your fucking throat. Only track on here I don't really like a lot is the closer Dead Man.

Nervosa - Downfall of Mankind, 2018, I've never heard of these Brazilian chicks before just right now, but this is fucking great. I'd call it death/thrash personally but I think a reasonable case could be made for calling it black/thrash. Either way it slays. PoWeR TriP sounds like a bunch of soft little suburban wienies next to these badass Brazilian chicks. Good lookin' out James Thomas 🤘😈🤘

Yeah they are more heavy/power and their last album was terrible, that's why I couldn't figure out how you were even liking a previous release. It then dawned on me while I was bashing bricks that I was thinking of a completely different band.

It's been a while since I listened to Nervosa, I remember their first their albums but I'm not even sure I've listened to Perpetual Chaos now.

8 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Are Nervosa really blackened thrash? I thought their first two albums were ok, but since then they've gone down hill, however I'd never have called them blackened thrash. Shows what I know of genres

That's a fair question!  I guess I was mainly basing that off of the vocals.  They sound more like black metal-style vocals to me, but as Mr. GG said, it could certainly be death/thrash as well.  Either way, these ladies crush it!

6 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Nervosa - Downfall of Mankind

Oh hell yes, this is how I like my thrash

Glad we got a little chain of responses going about Nervosa!  I think their 2016 release "Agony" might be my favorite, but I love their newest one, "Perpetual Chaos" as well.

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Overkill - Necroshine, 1999, been kinda stuck on this one lately, just listened twice. This album was one of their sleeper assasins people like to dismiss because it was released in the 90's but it would sneak up in the night and slit your fucking throat. Only track on here I don't really like a lot is the closer Dead Man.

Nervosa - Downfall of Mankind, 2018, I've never heard of these Brazilian chicks before just right now, but this is fucking great. I'd call it death/thrash personally but I think a reasonable case could be made for calling it black/thrash. Either way it slays. PoWeR TriP sounds like a bunch of soft little suburban wienies next to these badass Brazilian chicks. Good lookin' out James Thomas 🤘😈🤘

Glad you're enjoying Nervosa!  After all of the killer recommendations you made in your list yesterday, it was the least I could do to try and see if I could come up with a band you'd enjoy haha.  I've been enjoying Nervosa's music for about 7 years now, and they get regular listens from me.  Would never guess that they're an all-female band, although that's neither here nor there in terms of the quality.  The music is fierce, and the vocals are incredible.  They actually just released a new single earlier this year, so hopefully, we're in store for another new album here soon!

Great call with "Necroshine"!  Other than the classic "Horrorscope", "Necroshine" is my favorite Overkill album of the 90's.  There's not a bad song on it.  In my opinion, it certainly qualifies as their most underrated album.  As you said, it has no shortage of detractors, but it's fantastic all the way through.  

3 hours ago, JamesT said:

I've been enjoying Nervosa's music for about 7 years now, and they get regular listens from me.  Would never guess that they're an all-female band, although that's neither here nor there in terms of the quality.  The music is fierce, and the vocals are incredible.  They actually just released a new single earlier this year, so hopefully, we're in store for another new album here soon!

Great call with "Necroshine"!  Other than the classic "Horrorscope", "Necroshine" is my favorite Overkill album of the 90's.  There's not a bad song on it.  In my opinion, it certainly qualifies as their most underrated album.  As you said, it has no shortage of detractors, but it's fantastic all the way through.  

Actually I've found it's pretty easy to tell which ones are the all-girl bands James, just look for the soft curvy bodies.

As far as underrated Overkill albums are concerned they have quite a few of them. Most fans seem fixated on the first 5 albums or the last 6 albums but many seem to overlook the 9 albums in between. And for sure that middle 9 is a mixed bag, most of their weaker albums are among that 9, but they have some hidden gems to be found in there too. Killbox ('03) and Bloodletting ('00) are incredible albums that get no respect. Necroshine ('99) gets passed over as well but to a lesser extent because all in all while it's a good album, it's not as good as those other two that immediately followed it. And the title track is a live staple so it does get some attention.

I think it's crystal clear that the most underrated Overkill album of all is 1993's I Hear Black. People don't just overlook it, they actively attack it and disparage it. Almost like it makes people angry that it even exists, which is crazy because it's a great fucking album! All killer - no filler. I can only imagine maybe people don't like that it strays too far from the thrash template that they established with their first 5 albums, clearly it's not Horrorscope II. But I mean forgetting about thrash for a moment and just looking at it as a heavy metal album, it was still better written and much heavier and darker than anything Metallica or Megadick or Anthrax were doing by that point in their careers. It's a thousand times better than TBA or Youthanasia or Sound of White Noise. At its core it's still basically Black Sabbath + punk. They just dropped a lot of the Iron Maiden nwobhm influence after Horrorscope and explored some other different influences in the 90's. In hindsight some of it worked and some of it didn't, From the Underground ('96) and Killing Kind ('97) both definitely had more low points than high points. But there was none of that weird industrial experimentation on I Hear Black, it just didn't have a lot of really fast thrashy songs on it like all of the previous 5 albums did. No Deny the Cross, no Coma, no Thanx for Nothin', instead it had a bunch of slow burners. I wouldn't want all their abums to be just like I Hear Black, but I'm glad to have that one.

Overkill - World of Hurt

Overkill - Weight of the World

Overkill - Ignorance and Innocence

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Actually I've found it's pretty easy to tell which ones are the all-girl bands James, just look for the soft curvy bodies.

As far as underrated Overkill albums are concerned they have quite a few of them. Most fans seem fixated on the first 5 albums or the last 6 albums but many seem to overlook the 9 albums in between. And for sure that middle 9 is a mixed bag, most of their weaker albums are among that 9, but they have some hidden gems to be found in there too. Killbox ('03) and Bloodletting ('00) are incredible albums that get no respect. Necroshine ('99) gets passed over as well but to a lesser extent because all in all while it's a good album, it's not as good as those other two that immediately followed it. And the title track is a live staple so it does get some attention.

I think it's crystal clear that the most underrated Overkill album of all is 1993's I Hear Black. People don't just overlook it, they actively attack it and disparage it. Almost like it makes people angry that it even exists, which is crazy because it's a great fucking album! All killer - no filler. I can only imagine maybe people don't like that it strays too far from the thrash template that they established with their first 5 albums, clearly it's not Horrorscope II. But I mean forgetting about thrash for a moment and just looking at it as a heavy metal album, it was still better written and much heavier and darker than anything Metallica or Megadick or Anthrax were doing by that point in their careers. It's a thousand times better than TBA or Youthanasia or Sound of White Noise. At its core it's still basically Black Sabbath + punk. They just dropped a lot of the Iron Maiden nwobhm influence after Horrorscope and explored some other different influences in the 90's. In hindsight some of it worked and some of it didn't, From the Underground ('96) and Killing Kind ('97) both definitely had more low points than high points. But there was none of that weird industrial experimentation on I Hear Black, it just didn't have a lot of really fast thrashy songs on it like all of the previous 5 albums did. No Deny the Cross, no Coma, no Thanx for Nothin', instead it had a bunch of slow burners. I wouldn't want all their abums to be just like I Hear Black, but I'm glad to have that one.

Overkill - World of Hurt

Overkill - Weight of the World

Overkill - Ignorance and Innocence

Very well said!  Those middle 9 albums have lots of great material on them, as you said.  My top 2 from that middle period are "Necroshine" and "From the Underground and Below", although "W.F.O." has some killer songs as well.  A lot of folks complain about that one due to how high the bass is turned up in the mix, but it doesn't bother me one bit.  "I Hear Black" has some great songs on it for sure.  I like "Ignorance and Innocence" quite a bit.  The album almost has a bit of a stoner rock/metal vibe to it, which is really cool.  I think you're correct - where it was released in the chronology has a lot to do with the negative view a lot of fans hold of that album.  It came on the heels of those 5 classic albums, and immediately after "Horrorscope", which a lot of people hold to be their best album.  Personally, I'd rank it at #5, behind #4 The Years of Decay, #3 Taking Over, #2 Ironbound, and #1 The Electric Age", but it's a classic for sure.  

As for the coming week, I turn 33 years old tomorrow, and I'll be celebrating by diving back into HammerFall for a good while.

AUSTERE  - Corrosion of Hearts.  I enjoyed this.

And thanks to Macca (that's Aussie for Macabre Eternal) on the best three thread, DRUDKH - Microcosmos. I hadn't listened to this one. It will soon be mine. And DJEVEL - Nah strider nation sort. Good not great. And MORK - Dypet. I don't know, like their previous one there is something about them that just doesn't click with me even though I think they should.

59 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Very well said!  Those middle 9 albums have lots of great material on them, as you said.  My top 2 from that middle period are "Necroshine" and "From the Underground and Below", although "W.F.O." has some killer songs as well.  A lot of folks complain about that one due to how high the bass is turned up in the mix, but it doesn't bother me one bit.  "I Hear Black" has some great songs on it for sure.  I like "Ignorance and Innocence" quite a bit.  The album almost has a bit of a stoner rock/metal vibe to it, which is really cool.  I think you're correct - where it was released in the chronology has a lot to do with the negative view a lot of fans hold of that album.  It came on the heels of those 5 classic albums, and immediately after "Horrorscope", which a lot of people hold to be their best album.  Personally, I'd rank it at #5, behind #4 The Years of Decay, #3 Taking Over, #2 Ironbound, and #1 The Electric Age", but it's a classic for sure.  

As for the coming week, I turn 33 years old tomorrow, and I'll be celebrating by diving back into HammerFall for a good while.

Happy birthday JT. Bobby Blitz will be turning 64 this coming week as well. And that reminds me my own daughter will be turning 33 in June. I'd say next month but we still have an hour left in April here.

You young guys and your backwards rankings haha. Not even gonna argue about Ironbound and Electric Age being ahead of Taking Over, it just makes me chuckle. You're just a kid, you weren't there at their 80's shows so you don't know any better. I do have Electric Age in my top 10 or 12 Kill albums as well, so I'm not pooping on it, it's a very good album with memorable songs. But I couldn't see any serious Overkill fan putting it as their #1. I do really like that you think for yourself and stick to your guns though, so keep it up.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

DJEVEL - Nah strider nation sort. Good not great.

I think it's at least very good.