Jump to content

When Did You First Get Into Metal?


Recommended Posts

I don't really remember. I do recall liking Iron Maiden when I was a little kid - and, of course, I loved "Eddie". It probably wasn't until my teens (90s) that I really started to become more interested in metal. My tastes developed over time from being quite exclusive to broadly inclusive of most musical genres and metal sub-genres. Right now I'm into black, ambient, doomy dirges - though I guess that, overall, stoner and industrial sounds have influenced me the most.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Around 1981, my older cousin used to watch a TV show called The NewMusic. I remember seeing Motorhead and Venom videos, but I didn't appreciate it yet because I was only 11. Around 1983, my dad f

My experience is really special to me... it was fall in 2000 I was working outside of my normal area remodeling a house and while I work my music is always ON & as LOUD as permissible and back the

For me it all started just over 10 years ago when I was about 12-13.  I didn't really have much knowledge of the genre at all (Guns n Roses was about as close to metal as I had ever experienced) and d

On 8/14/2019 at 12:27 AM, stonywings said:

Its hard to say, I grew up with it all around me due to both my parents liking it. My first proactive effort to finding metal on my own was when I was 9. It was Dark Passion Play from Nightwish that really set me off then. Ever since then Ive listened to most metal genres and enjoy most of it

You were 9 when ‘Dark Passion Play’ came out? Holy hell I’m getting old... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...

My experience is really special to me... it was fall in 2000 I was working outside of my normal area remodeling a house and while I work my music is always ON & as LOUD as permissible and back then I was self employed so as long as my customer/home owner wasn't on site the neighbors never needed wondering what I was playing...LOL  Anyway, I was playing some of my better quality LIVE Hendrix shows when the plumber showed up...we hit it off from the beginning... you know when you just meet someone for the first time and you feel like you've known each other forever... after talking and a couple service visits later my new friend, Dave, invited me over to his house to "hang out" although he was very skeptical as he told me he never had people over... when I got there it was a very old run down farm house and a lot of the windows were boarded up... the guy's dying mother was in the living room (she loved being around people) and all this guy could do was keep apologizing to me about his house -  I think he was embarrassed... I don't know if I ever convinced him or not I wasn't there to judge nor did any of that change my opinion on my new friend... THEN IT STARTED...the floor above started to rumble and the entire house was moving.. so we made our way upstairs and his son's band was just starting to practice.. these kids were from 8yr old to 11yr old and they were playing Pantera's Revolution Is My Name that was just released the spring before on Reinventing The Steel!  These kids were rough at times but when one would hang up on a note the others would carry the band and coach each one through it... in all they were really amazing especially being so young!  The love in that house was running VERY strong and their openness to adopt me in as one of their own was truly touching to me, and still is.. up until then I listened to more classic rock and some jam bands.... after hearing those kids and seeing how strong they were as a group especially Dave's son how he was cranking those pedals to his kick drums will forever be etched in my memory like it was yesterday.  Ever since then every person I've met that is a huge METAL fanatic surely appears gruff/hard on the outside but once the bond is made every single person has only shown me the brotherhood and love that I've gotten no where else.  Same goes here... for the short while I've been poking around and messing up posting things in the wrong areas I've really been met with acceptance and understanding. Thank you MF!

The other reason this story is so special to me... geez this hard to write... is that Dave was killed the following year driving home by a fucking piece of shit drunk driver who apparently drove away from the scene leaving him to die alone in his truck.  I'm sorry for anyone who finds comfort in excessively drowning in alcohol... i don't mean to offend... I drink on occasion and think anyone has the right to do whatever they want in their homes.. just don't come out and inflict their inability to control themselves and to pose harm on innocent people - my destiny is MY OWN to live/follow!!!  I just can't stand that drug anymore it's by far the strongest and worst thing to abuse.  One of my roommates even died from cirrhosis of the liver... at the ripe age of 46yr old! WTF!!! My Aunt drank herself into a coma.. I have tons more examples I'll spare ya - this post getting too long and I'm sure you get the point.  I've lost a lot of friends to the streets/drugs and honestly most of those lost were somewhat no surprises considering their destructive lifestyles... in my experiences it's been those killed by alcohol that have ravaged my heart the most as it's been the doing by someone else's sheer negligence.  AND IT'S LEGAL!!!  Sorry this got me a little emotional as I've never shared this with anyone and usually like to keep these sort of things repressed.  Every time I think about it I find it's hard to hold back the tears.... but I'm stuck in this "hell" (somehow) so I've got to learn how to let go better focus on celebrating the spirits of those who've I lost along the way.  This isn't a rehearsal folks!!! Never let anything go unsaid or tell those close to your hearts what they mean to you because you never know when's the last time you'll have that chance.

In honor of Dave I'd like to post this video so if you have time please watch in Dave's memory.  If only you guys could have met him you'd feel as strongly about all of this as I have been.  R.I.P. Dave!!! Loved you like a brother and you opened up my world to the strongest type of music on the planet!  (R.I.P. to Dimebag & Vinnie too!)

 BTW - those kids NAILED that MASSIVE transition around 3:01 into the song!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was a youngfag I got into Metallica and Anthrax and crap.  I listened to Black Sabbath and Motorhead, as well.  But I truly succumbed to the more "extreme" or underground metal when I picked up two used albums-- Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption and Sepultura's Beneath the Remains.  I was around fifteen, and I still love both of those albums to this day.

After that I got into grindcore, death metal and non-American thrash bands like Kreator and Sodom.  Then came black metal.  

Nowadays, I love all kinds of stuff.  Crazy overproduced technical death metal shit, grueling funeral doom, but I also never neglect the classics: Venom, Celtic Frost, Possessed, Bathory...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@par9noid Oh man, i’m so sorry to hear that mate, thats a heartbreaking story, it must have been really difficult to write that out, but sharing stories usually helps somewhat.

Also that is a great song!

And on the Alcohol front I used to drink a lot (like get drunk every week) due to depression, thankfully I dont feel the need to now and I barely drink at all, and I totally get your attitude towards it

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

@par9noid Oh man, i’m so sorry to hear that mate, thats a heartbreaking story, it must have been really difficult to write that out, but sharing stories usually helps somewhat.

Also that is a great song!

And on the Alcohol front I used to drink a lot (like get drunk every week) due to depression, thankfully I dont feel the need to now and I barely drink at all, and I totally get your attitude towards it

Brother - yea I'm sorry for being so skewed.. I just got news another person I knew back in FL fell victim to the opioid epidemic and OD'd at old age of 20 - a mere kid!!!  Plus a lot of other stuff going on around me that's pretty deep and I'm trying hard not to "live" in my head-space but find it challenging... amazing how easy it is to only see the negatives during times like these when there is so much to be thankful for.  I probably shouldn't even be writing anything, but you're right as hard as that was to throw at all you poor readers I feel like I was able to honor him a little better in some way and I do feel a little release of letting some of that burden go!  Your reply means a whole lot to me also, thank you!  I too used to have my time with drinking, which only lead into deeper darker things...  I feel for anyone trapped by the active grips of anything!  Ironic thing it it's a lot easier and very humbling to ask for help than most realize!  If only 1 person that needs help can see it this way I'd feel like all this non-metal talk would be worthwhile!!!

BTW - I've seen you posting lots around and I really like your comments and especially get a kick out of how you "spelled" out your u/n with the letter/number combo!! very creative bro!!  I went to try to send you a msg earlier to tell you this but stopped myself.  I think you and I might also be only ones I've seen here so far with animated avatars too! LOL  ROCK ON, my man -  and thank you again for reaching out to me with so much kindness.  There are so many awesome people in here!  Thank you to ALL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@par9noid No need to apologise mate, sorry to hear about your friend thats terrible, however I’m glad it makes you feel a bit better to get these things out in the open, remember therr are always people who will listen and pretty much everyone on here are very friendly and will listen.

And thank you for the unexpected compliments! Appreciated mate, funny cos most of the time comments regarding my username are that its too complicated to look at lol and I always try to make significant posts hehe

Edit: also about the animated avatar, not going to lie untilI saw your avatar I didn’t realise you could have a gif ? so i thought what better than my fave band logo 

Edited by H34VYM3T4LD4V3
Add more stuff
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, H34VYM3T4LD4V3 said:

@par9noid No need to apologise mate, sorry to hear about your friend thats terrible, however I’m glad it makes you feel a bit better to get these things out in the open, remember therr are always people who will listen and pretty much everyone on here are very friendly and will listen.

And thank you for the unexpected compliments! Appreciated mate, funny cos most of the time comments regarding my username are that its too complicated to look at lol and I always try to make significant posts hehe

Edit: also about the animated avatar, not going to lie untilI saw your avatar I didn’t realise you could have a gif ? so i thought what better than my fave band logo 

@H34VYM3T4LD4V3 try to read this sentence quickly... I find it amazing (hope it works for you):

I raed tihs sudty taht siad the haumn barin can siltl pcesros wdros as lnog as fsrit and lsat lteetrs are in the rhgit pcleass!

LOL!  (Ouch that hurt writing tho)... did it work for you too?  For me it's when I take my time to try and analyze each word is when my ego starts to take over and my opinion starts getting in the way... truly amazing to me what the human brain is capable of that we still are trying to tap into.  MAYBE it's possible that those who see your u/n as being too complicated are also trying to analyze it too hard(?)  For some reason the first time I saw yours is embedded in my memory banks - it was just a passing glance and I read it perfectly but after I did a double look and started to "read" it I stumbled a bit!  I love anything that is a challenge - makes for an interesting experience so you'll always have my vote for one of the most creative ways to post your u/n in here!

Yea I dug up an old hard drive with some of my music library on it and found a bunch of animated .gifs I had saved years ago that I forgot about (the revolving eye on my profile).... I accidentally discovered that it could be used on my other profile in my friend's online radio station...hehe   There's no better way to "become an attention whore" that to update your avatar to something animated...in a sea of stillness any motion captures the eye!  Mine gets annoying tho it moves too quickly... I figured since I'm new here the extra help in getting exposed couldn't hurt... 

Replies like yours mean a lot to me in that I can tell you are a great person am I'm not as alone as I feel inside.  EVERYONE here, like you mentioned, has been most awesome to interact with - especially the moderators whom I'm still trying to figure out how they keep us all in line!  This site runs far deeper than I ever imagined!!!  Much love to you and everyone else!!!

ROCK ON, H34VYM3T4LD4V3!!!  (YES, YES!! your u/n is so awesome bro!!!

P.S. -  I can't help but see Beavis & Butthead headbanging when I see your u/n for some reason!!! LOL)  I have a pic to send u it was too large to attach..  I hyperlinked the image below...it's inside Pinterest website so not sure if link will work being that most times I go there they make you sign in... LMK if you don't get link to work... you'll know it when you do... hopefully will give you a chuckle or two! Enjoy bro!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the farthest back I can remember is 1985. I was 5 years old. I can only remember bits and pieces of it but even then I had heard like Van Halen, ACDC, Kiss etc from tv and my dads friends. I think we got cable in 86 and a woman and her son moved in with us, he was in high school and his favorite band was Metallica. Metallica became me and my brother's favorite band instantly. There was a local  hard rock/metal station (in LA) called KNAC. KNAC helped shape my tastes for sure, they played hard rock/classic rock to thrash etc and even glam like Motley Crue etc. My first cassette was Ride the Lightning. Around 92 I started to get into death metal from the few videos I saw on Headbangers Ball. When I was a teenager in 95 it seemed that metal died at least for the mainstream, it seemed like as soon as the Load album came out, everything went south. Metal went underground, thrash and death metal (at least old school death metal) was all disappearing. I can't blame it on my beloved rock n roll disappearing from the mainstream but I got into all kinds of problems with drugs, gangs, my family etc around this time and  I wasn't too much into music until I finally cleaned up in 2000/2001.

Once I kicked meth for good and tried to stay out of jail etc. I started going to concerts and buying cd's like crazy. Mostly just thrash, a little old death metal, classic heavy metal and 80s hardcore punk. Then Uranium and the new HBB came out, by that time I was going to Ozzfest every year and various other gigs in LA. I didn't find out about black metal until that time too. I was using a few blogs and discovering all kinds of killer obscure raw thrash, osdm that I never knew about before, obscure classic 80s metal etc stuff I was downloading but mostly all old stuff, very little new stuff. I used to go to a metal record store called Dark Realm Records, it's owned by Rick and Bay of Sadistic Intent. I don't know them that well but they were really cool, we would talk metal here and there when I would come into the store. They would let me listen to a cd before buying it because I could never make up my mind of what I was going to buy. I picked up a lot of cool demos, zines and used cassettes there too.

So I have been into metal and horror as far back as I can remember but I didn't get into underground stuff until the early 2000s when I found out how to download stuff. I was on a forum called MRU for a while but it's no longer around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the_thrashing said:

I think the farthest back I can remember is 1985. I was 5 years old. I can only remember bits and pieces of it but even then I had heard like Van Halen, ACDC, Kiss etc from tv and my dads friends. I think we got cable in 86 and a woman and her son moved in with us, he was in high school and his favorite band was Metallica. Metallica became me and my brother's favorite band instantly. There was a local  hard rock/metal station (in LA) called KNAC. KNAC helped shape my tastes for sure, they played hard rock/classic rock to thrash etc and even glam like Motley Crue etc. My first cassette was Ride the Lightning. Around 92 I started to get into death metal from the few videos I saw on Headbangers Ball. When I was a teenager in 95 it seemed that metal died at least for the mainstream, it seemed like as soon as the Load album came out, everything went south. Metal went underground, thrash and death metal (at least old school death metal) was all disappearing. I can't blame it on my beloved rock n roll disappearing from the mainstream but I got into all kinds of problems with drugs, gangs, my family etc around this time and  I wasn't too much into music until I finally cleaned up in 2000/2001.

Once I kicked meth for good and tried to stay out of jail etc. I started going to concerts and buying cd's like crazy. Mostly just thrash, a little old death metal, classic heavy metal and 80s hardcore punk. Then Uranium and the new HBB came out, by that time I was going to Ozzfest every year and various other gigs in LA. I didn't find out about black metal until that time too. I was using a few blogs and discovering all kinds of killer obscure raw thrash, osdm that I never knew about before, obscure classic 80s metal etc stuff I was downloading but mostly all old stuff, very little new stuff. I used to go to a metal record store called Dark Realm Records, it's owned by Rick and Bay of Sadistic Intent. I don't know them that well but they were really cool, we would talk metal here and there when I would come into the store. They would let me listen to a cd before buying it because I could never make up my mind of what I was going to buy. I picked up a lot of cool demos, zines and used cassettes there too.

So I have been into metal and horror as far back as I can remember but I didn't get into underground stuff until the early 2000s when I found out how to download stuff. I was on a forum called MRU for a while but it's no longer around.

Quite a story, looks like you and I are about the same age but I didn't start getting into metal until about 1990-91. "Load" really was a kick in the teeth when it came out. 1995 was a fantastic year for metal in general, but I do remember a lot of stalwarts watering down their sound or folding up after that. Where I was living (North Carolina), I recall more black metal started showing up in the record stores right around then -- especially the Scandinavian stuff -- so that became my main interest for a while. 2000 is when I went to college, and started getting into more first-wave BM, some mathcore, some power metal, and rediscovered my love for death metal. The internet definitely helped with that, but I still got most of my recommendations from friends.

If you don't mind my asking, what brought you from LA to Serbia? That seems like a pretty big relocation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

I think the farthest back I can remember is 1985. I was 5 years old. I can only remember bits and pieces of it but even then I had heard like Van Halen, ACDC, Kiss etc from tv and my dads friends. I think we got cable in 86 and a woman and her son moved in with us, he was in high school and his favorite band was Metallica. Metallica became me and my brother's favorite band instantly. There was a local  hard rock/metal station (in LA) called KNAC. KNAC helped shape my tastes for sure, they played hard rock/classic rock to thrash etc and even glam like Motley Crue etc. My first cassette was Ride the Lightning. Around 92 I started to get into death metal from the few videos I saw on Headbangers Ball. When I was a teenager in 95 it seemed that metal died at least for the mainstream, it seemed like as soon as the Load album came out, everything went south. Metal went underground, thrash and death metal (at least old school death metal) was all disappearing. I can't blame it on my beloved rock n roll disappearing from the mainstream but I got into all kinds of problems with drugs, gangs, my family etc around this time and  I wasn't too much into music until I finally cleaned up in 2000/2001.

Once I kicked meth for good and tried to stay out of jail etc. I started going to concerts and buying cd's like crazy. Mostly just thrash, a little old death metal, classic heavy metal and 80s hardcore punk. Then Uranium and the new HBB came out, by that time I was going to Ozzfest every year and various other gigs in LA. I didn't find out about black metal until that time too. I was using a few blogs and discovering all kinds of killer obscure raw thrash, osdm that I never knew about before, obscure classic 80s metal etc stuff I was downloading but mostly all old stuff, very little new stuff. I used to go to a metal record store called Dark Realm Records, it's owned by Rick and Bay of Sadistic Intent. I don't know them that well but they were really cool, we would talk metal here and there when I would come into the store. They would let me listen to a cd before buying it because I could never make up my mind of what I was going to buy. I picked up a lot of cool demos, zines and used cassettes there too.

So I have been into metal and horror as far back as I can remember but I didn't get into underground stuff until the early 2000s when I found out how to download stuff. I was on a forum called MRU for a while but it's no longer around.

@the_thrashing I'm a little older by sounds of it ('72) but your timeline brought back a lot of memories of when Cable first hit (we might have had it few years before but regardless basically same decade) and when MTV actually played MUSIC VIDEOS! Imagine that! LOL wow~! 1985 -  S.O.D. took SKATE / H.C. Punk music into crossover/Thrash!  I still have hard time classifying some of it as crossover just because I was used to it back then being SKATE / H.C. Punk music (at least around Washington DC back then was epicenter in Punk scene) - ah the memories of better times past..  In fact my "First time story" didn't even start me off as early as maybe I should have only because like I said I still think of that era as more Punk... whoops! 

Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you on overcoming those demons... especially that kind!  You're the first person I've come across that can say they've been successful with that particular substance... I too have had a lifetime of my own demons and nothing works to put them to rest unless you want it hard enough and are simply ready to fight the fight to get your life back!  It's not until recently, for me, I've been able to retrain my thought processes and to hold onto any sort of hope that I could be as strong as you've illustrated and to DO THIS!  Thanks for the awesome story and mostly, for me, the encouragement that anything can be possible if you're willing and STRONG ENOUGH like yourself!  A true inspiration for sure - much love bro!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, par9noid said:

@the_thrashing I'm a little older by sounds of it ('72) but your timeline brought back a lot of memories of when Cable first hit (we might have had it few years before but regardless basically same decade) and when MTV actually played MUSIC VIDEOS! Imagine that! LOL wow~! 1985 -  S.O.D. took SKATE / H.C. Punk music into crossover/Thrash!  I still have hard time classifying some of it as crossover just because I was used to it back then being SKATE / H.C. Punk music (at least around Washington DC back then was epicenter in Punk scene) - ah the memories of better times past..  In fact my "First time story" didn't even start me off as early as maybe I should have only because like I said I still think of that era as more Punk... whoops! 

Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you on overcoming those demons... especially that kind!  You're the first person I've come across that can say they've been successful with that particular substance... I too have had a lifetime of my own demons and nothing works to put them to rest unless you want it hard enough and are simply ready to fight the fight to get your life back!  It's not until recently, for me, I've been able to retrain my thought processes and to hold onto any sort of hope that I could be as strong as you've illustrated and to DO THIS!  Thanks for the awesome story and mostly, for me, the encouragement that anything can be possible if you're willing and STRONG ENOUGH like yourself!  A true inspiration for sure - much love bro!!

It's hilarious that you bring up skaters, when I was a kid my best friend and next door neighbor was a skater, he was more into rap though. His older brother did listen to a little metal and punk too. Their whole family had a lot of problems and the older brother was getting into gangs etc then they moved to Utah for a few years then came back. He was for a while number 19 in the world for the high jump off of a half pipe at one time. Now he owns a skate shop and had his own clothing line for a while. I wasn't getting into trouble with them though, they moved out in like 91. I definitely remember a lot of skaters in my neighborhood way back then.

I can't say I really got sober, I still drink and the occasional green but I am sober 99% of the time these days. I did get off all chemicals though. I had to, I'd be dead or in jail if I didn't. I'm completely disgusted by tweekers bro, I don't want to be around anyone doing that shit. When I first kicked I was still smoking weed every day for years and drinking. What I had to do was stop hanging out with /talking to everyone I knew who was doing speed and it sucks when that is 99% of your friends. I moved to a new place too but there were tweekers out there too just I didn't know all of them. Plus all the cops knew me, I would be stopped immediately if they saw me.

Drugs put you in a lot of bad situations with a lot of bad people just trying to score something when your regular dealers don't have anything. You end up weird places with weird wacked out people. plus everyone is always turning on each other, stealing from each other, snitches etc gangsters, it ends up being a bunch of bs and on top of that, it's not free, drugs are expensive, what are you going to do to get money for a bag etc. My life is so much better off of that shit. I never betrayed anyone or stole from my friends etc for dope. When people act like oh it was just the drugs, I'm really a good person, lol, those are bad people period, just you would never know when everything is going good for them but wait until they get put in a situation under pressure and then you see how they truly are. When everything was good they had no reason to do horrible things but take that away and you see how loyal they really are, if they were as good as you thought they wouldn't crack when put under pressure.

13 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Quite a story, looks like you and I are about the same age but I didn't start getting into metal until about 1990-91. "Load" really was a kick in the teeth when it came out. 1995 was a fantastic year for metal in general, but I do remember a lot of stalwarts watering down their sound or folding up after that. Where I was living (North Carolina), I recall more black metal started showing up in the record stores right around then -- especially the Scandinavian stuff -- so that became my main interest for a while. 2000 is when I went to college, and started getting into more first-wave BM, some mathcore, some power metal, and rediscovered my love for death metal. The internet definitely helped with that, but I still got most of my recommendations from friends.

If you don't mind my asking, what brought you from LA to Serbia? That seems like a pretty big relocation.

So I grew up as the white minority in a part of LA known as the South Bay. It isn't so great to be a minority and outnumbered all the time everywhere you go, especially when you live somewhere infested with gangs. I hated the people there and the way things were going in the US. I am part Serbian and I always wanted to see over here so in 2013 I just said fuck it and took off. I had to come back in 2017 because my grandmother was dying of cancer. I was stuck there 10 months and even homeless for a few months until I came back over here. What really sucks is how expensive shipping is, I have like 5000 cds, I got a few cassettes and vinyl too, a huge dvd collection of mostly all horror movies and some vhs too, all of it is boxed up at my father's house in LA. I listen to almost everything on youtube or mp3 now because my physical copies aren't here with me. So I definitely miss my collection but there are a lot of upsides over here too. Political correctness almost doesn't exist over here, people are normal, chicks are a lot better looking etc. There are good and bad sides to it. I lived in Bosnia for a while too.

Bro the black album was a slight disappointment but Load tore my heart out, stomped on it, urinated on it etc. My fanboyism is still butt-hurt.  After that no matter what kind of crap bands pull, it doesn't matter to me. Like when Youthenasia by Megadeth came out, to me that was a big left turn too but it was just like ahh oh well. Only Slayer kept flying the flag and of course Pantera. I will always be a thrasher bro, I love hard rock, heavy metal, dm, bm too etc but when it boils down to it I'm a thrasher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, the_thrashing said:

It's hilarious that you bring up skaters, when I was a kid my best friend and next door neighbor was a skater, he was more into rap though. His older brother did listen to a little metal and punk too. Their whole family had a lot of problems and the older brother was getting into gangs etc then they moved to Utah for a few years then came back. He was for a while number 19 in the world for the high jump off of a half pipe at one time. Now he owns a skate shop and had his own clothing line for a while. I wasn't getting into trouble with them though, they moved out in like 91. I definitely remember a lot of skaters in my neighborhood way back then.

I can't say I really got sober, I still drink and the occasional green but I am sober 99% of the time these days. I did get off all chemicals though. I had to, I'd be dead or in jail if I didn't. I'm completely disgusted by tweekers bro, I don't want to be around anyone doing that shit. When I first kicked I was still smoking weed every day for years and drinking. What I had to do was stop hanging out with /talking to everyone I knew who was doing speed and it sucks when that is 99% of your friends. I moved to a new place too but there were tweekers out there too just I didn't know all of them. Plus all the cops knew me, I would be stopped immediately if they saw me.

Drugs put you in a lot of bad situations with a lot of bad people just trying to score something when your regular dealers don't have anything. You end up weird places with weird wacked out people. plus everyone is always turning on each other, stealing from each other, snitches etc gangsters, it ends up being a bunch of bs and on top of that, it's not free, drugs are expensive, what are you going to do to get money for a bag etc. My life is so much better off of that shit. I never betrayed anyone or stole from my friends etc for dope. When people act like oh it was just the drugs, I'm really a good person, lol, those are bad people period, just you would never know when everything is going good for them but wait until they get put in a situation under pressure and then you see how they truly are. When everything was good they had no reason to do horrible things but take that away and you see how loyal they really are, if they were as good as you thought they wouldn't crack when put under pressure.

So I grew up as the white minority in a part of LA known as the South Bay. It isn't so great to be a minority and outnumbered all the time everywhere you go, especially when you live somewhere infested with gangs. I hated the people there and the way things were going in the US. I am part Serbian and I always wanted to see over here so in 2013 I just said fuck it and took off. I had to come back in 2017 because my grandmother was dying of cancer. I was stuck there 10 months and even homeless for a few months until I came back over here. What really sucks is how expensive shipping is, I have like 5000 cds, I got a few cassettes and vinyl too, a huge dvd collection of mostly all horror movies and some vhs too, all of it is boxed up at my father's house in LA. I listen to almost everything on youtube or mp3 now because my physical copies aren't here with me. So I definitely miss my collection but there are a lot of upsides over here too. Political correctness almost doesn't exist over here, people are normal, chicks are a lot better looking etc. There are good and bad sides to it. I lived in Bosnia for a while too.

Bro the black album was a slight disappointment but Load tore my heart out, stomped on it, urinated on it etc. My fanboyism is still butt-hurt.  After that no matter what kind of crap bands pull, it doesn't matter to me. Like when Youthenasia by Megadeth came out, to me that was a big left turn too but it was just like ahh oh well. Only Slayer kept flying the flag and of course Pantera. I will always be a thrasher bro, I love hard rock, heavy metal, dm, bm too etc but when it boils down to it I'm a thrasher.

Thrash on my man!  The more you write the more I can see we have a lot in common, especially about the chemicals... I too am not completely "sober" (I think I'd be institutionalized if I were BUT I JUST WANT A PEPSI!!! - LOL!!!) but that doesn't matter because to me, herb is a herb a natural growing plant that isn't just an ingredient of any man made soul crushing chemical compound(s) designed to get you hooked and bring your world down around you... an occasional drink too is sometimes enjoyable... no harm in anything that you can stay on top of and for everyone it's different so anyone reading please don't see any of this as an advertisement or endorsement YOU need to figure out your own formula for a happy & as balanced existence and no one else!  While my chemical demons were different (opioids) the twisted thinking I developed into only feeding by body those chemicals, mainly to keep from getting sick so that I could "function" at work and at home, is hardest to change...  Especially for me as no one in my life either professionally or personally ever had any idea so that might illustrate how much I've fooled even myself into thinking I had the upper hand.  And oh boy the stories/experiences I've had along the way... I could make a movie out of them! LOL  Part of your story I had no experience with while growing up is the gangs I know where you were at around L.A. that must have been unavoidable so I couldn't imagine how much more difficult all that played into you getting out and into a new path!  I have to say tho that everyone so far in here has only welcomed both of us with non-judging arms open and when you've gone through a life long struggle of ONLY having others look down on you it's very touching and gives me a lot of hope there are still awesome people out there that see you for who you ARE and not interested in seeing you for what you WERE!  For me this applies: "Who you ARE, who you WERE and you will BE are 3 different people."  I'd like to keep in touch with you so maybe instead of having to keep quoting each other we can try the private message thing?  I'm sure some might not enjoy reading as much as we've shared (sorry folks ?).  Personally haven't tried the private message feature yet so not sure if that's the way to do this or not.. if you know any better way hit me up!  Maybe I'll try send you msg now... Until then, keep on being on top of your game and THRASH ON!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, par9noid said:

Thrash on my man!  The more you write the more I can see we have a lot in common, especially about the chemicals... I too am not completely "sober" (I think I'd be institutionalized if I were BUT I JUST WANT A PEPSI!!! - LOL!!!) but that doesn't matter because to me, herb is a herb a natural growing plant that isn't just an ingredient of any man made soul crushing chemical compound(s) designed to get you hooked and bring your world down around you... an occasional drink too is sometimes enjoyable... no harm in anything that you can stay on top of and for everyone it's different so anyone reading please don't see any of this as an advertisement or endorsement YOU need to figure out your own formula for a happy & as balanced existence and no one else!  While my chemical demons were different (opioids) the twisted thinking I developed into only feeding by body those chemicals, mainly to keep from getting sick so that I could "function" at work and at home, is hardest to change...  Especially for me as no one in my life either professionally or personally ever had any idea so that might illustrate how much I've fooled even myself into thinking I had the upper hand.  And oh boy the stories/experiences I've had along the way... I could make a movie out of them! LOL  Part of your story I had no experience with while growing up is the gangs I know where you were at around L.A. that must have been unavoidable so I couldn't imagine how much more difficult all that played into you getting out and into a new path!  I have to say tho that everyone so far in here has only welcomed both of us with non-judging arms open and when you've gone through a life long struggle of ONLY having others look down on you it's very touching and gives me a lot of hope there are still awesome people out there that see you for who you ARE and not interested in seeing you for what you WERE!  For me this applies: "Who you ARE, who you WERE and you will BE are 3 different people."  I'd like to keep in touch with you so maybe instead of having to keep quoting each other we can try the private message thing?  I'm sure some might not enjoy reading as much as we've shared (sorry folks ?).  Personally haven't tried the private message feature yet so not sure if that's the way to do this or not.. if you know any better way hit me up!  Maybe I'll try send you msg now... Until then, keep on being on top of your game and THRASH ON!!! 

Yeah bro, you can message me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I really got into old punk rock when I was like 15 (Clash, Ramones, Misfits, etc.) so my taste in music was already moving in a much heavier direction than what everyone else I knew was listening to at the time (Linkin Park and Evanescence lol). I grew up listening to stuff like the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, and so on because that's what my parents always listened to in the car. So I guess I learned young that I really enjoyed rock music in general and when I got old enough to begin looking for music on my own I immediately gravitated toward older rock acts and eventually punk rock. 

As for metal, I used to listen to a hard rock station on the radio in the car when I started driving myself to and from school. They often played a lot of Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and the like, and I knew I liked it a lot, but I was still caught up with punk rock at the time so I didn't pay too much attention to metal back then. I got some exposure through Suicidal Tendencies but that was about it. 

Until around 2004(-ish?) that is, when I heard Opeth's "Patterns in the Ivy" for the very first time on Liquid Metal, and my immediate thought was "what...is this?!" I'd never heard anything so beautiful and complex in my life and I felt like I had been looking for music that sounded like that forever and I had finally found it. I ran out and bought Blackwater Park, wore that album out every morning on the way to school, then went back and bought up all the albums I could that they had available (I believe Ghost Reveries had just been released at the time). I read everything I could find about them online and that led me to discovering Katatonia after I found out Mikael Akerfeldt had done the vocals for Brave Murder Day. Listened to that album and was completely blown away. Now that was even closer to the sound I'd been looking for all my life; Blackwater Park began to pale in comparison. So I became a huge Katatonia fan right then (still one of my favorites) and through them I ended up finding Paradise Lost (also still a favorite). I guess I listened to these bands the most as a teenager, not really looking beyond the sort of gothic/death/doom stuff. I found Anathema and My Dying Bride, Type O Negative and a few others, but I always kept coming back to Katatonia and Paradise Lost almost exclusively.

What's funny is, in retrospect I didn't really know I was actually turning into a huge metalhead at the time. I knew that what I was listening to was metal, but I was like this 5'2" 90 lb little girl and I looked nothing like the tall long-haired battle jacket-wearing metal dudes I'd seen around at school. None of the people I hung out with listened to metal and I very much felt alone in the world. My parents couldn't stand it; I was once listening to Katatonia in my room at home and my dad came in and asked me "what the hell are you listening to?!" Then he went on a tangent about how it was "so unbecoming" for a girl to listen to that kind of music. Whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean. (Funny story though - I had a cat growing up and she hated me, always hissing at me and never let me pet her without trying to claw my fingers off, but whenever I listened to Dance of December Souls she always came into my room and jumped up next to me and cuddled and rubbed her face on the speakers lol. I guess she just liked Renkse's voice, or maybe she was fascinated by all the reverb hahaha).

I've had severe/chronic depression with psychotic features for many years, and when I was 21 I dropped out of college and ended up working retail/food service and being poor as shit (I'm still poor as shit even after going back to college and graduating and getting a professional job lol) and for like 2 months I experienced the worst psychotic break of my entire life. It was fucking terrifying, I really believed I was a perambulating corpse or something I was convinced there were maggots in my stomach so I stopped eating completely because I thought that if I'm dead anyway then why do I need to eat and woudn't they just eat the food before I could digest it? I had these impulses to drink bleach to kill the maggots and I was extremely violent toward myself. At one point I tried to pour candle wax into my eyes. I forayed into black metal and picked up De Mysteriis and blasted that album while driving around in the middle of the night, every night, because I kept hearing these crazy things which I knew weren't there but I couldn't sleep, and being awake for 36 hours and then only being able to sleep for 3 or 4 and then being awake for another 36 hours or whatever was making the psychosis worse. I was so out of my mind I thought that those couldn't be the real lyrics, like I honestly thought I was broadcasting my thoughts and they were reading my mind or something because it was just way too accurate - only to find out after the psychotic break was over that, no, those actually are the real lyrics. ?

So of course that led me to Darkthrone and Satyricon and Immortal and I got really into the early 90s Norwegian black metal stuff a few months later and I listened to it ad nauseaum for years. I can't really keep track after that. I just listened to metal and only metal and it's pretty much been the same ever since. There was a long folk metal phase and a glam/hair band phase somewhere in there too during which I found a lot of bands I still listen to and enjoy. I'm currently going back and listening to some early death metal and 80s thrash bands and making my way through a bunch of albums I've never really given a lot of time to. When I'm not listening to my favorite bands, of course hahaha. Oh, and Cloak, because I've become a disgustingly rabid fan since I saw them a couple of weeks ago lol. I still revisit punk rock and some classic rock now and then, though not very often. I'm not against playing some Saint-Saens or Tchaikovsky, either.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, Grievous said:

1996...

A friend gave me a cassette tape with Sepultura's Roots on one side...

and Metallica's Black on the other...or at least the first 45 minutes of

both. Been hooked ever since.

That's a pretty cool introduction to metal in 1996!  Great gateway albums for sure, and they were both heavy on my playlist as a 16 year old in 1996. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first memory of music is i got a portable cassette player with headphones, and a Bee gees tape. Second memory is when think i was 5 or 6, my father was blasting Europe everytime when drunk (and that was often). Final countdown made an impact to a kid so that i still adore that song. From that.. my interest in music kinda grew a natural path.. from softer stuff to learning Nirvana songs on guitar, and from there heavier and heavier stuff. When i found Metallica, Megadeth, Sepultura and most importantly Paradise Lost.. i found my musical direction that stands up to this date, almost 30 years later.

I remember this finnish metal radio show when i was a teen.. i was there every week without fail, my cassetter recorder ready to record every track and made collections of my favourites. Found so many great bands like that.. Paradise lost being one of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I first heard about metal when I was at school, and noticed a kid with a t-shirt with some decapitated heads on spikes and "Slayer" written above. My first albums were Iron Maiden No Prayer for the Dying and Motorhead's 1916. I wanted to rebel when I was younger and this was the perfect avenue. I haven't looked back since and consider metal to be a life saver!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

How I got in to metal. I listened to metal on and off since I was about 9.  Although I did not properly get into metal until I was 30 when I decided I would listen to rain in blood all the way through fairly loud after some recommendations from friends.? What an album. After one play I was like fuck all this crap I was listening to before. Metal is no 1. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

CABAL Online had just been released and while I was playing it in a local internet cafe (I didn't have my own PC at the time), a girl on a computer next to me was listening to Nightwish. But considering this was long before I met my first female love (whom now I hate, btw :D ), it must be have been around 2004-2005. After that I started looking for more metal and during my search I came across Finntroll and after that I found the band I love until today - Thyrfing. And I "stayed" at the Viking metal as my most favorite genre. Ofc I listen to many other metal genres but if I have to choose between 2 genres, I'll always pick Viking. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I was 13, living and growing up in a small village in the Dolomites (Italian mountains), and in the Summer of 1986 (at the end of secondary schools) me and my old time friend decided it was time to be rebels... there was nothing particular to do to start a rebel life in my village (and at that age), so we decided that music could be a good mean... we entered the one and only electricity and music store of the place, they usually had the same LPs and Cassettes for years as concerned rock music, nobody seemed to be very much interested in the genre at the time.

We already owned Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet and Europe's The Final Countdown which were very popular, so we decided to go for something heavier... we had no idea about it, nor the guy in the shop... we started looking at the rock cassettes and immediately Eddie trapped our lives and ate our souls: my friend bought The Number of The Beast, I bought Piece of Mind.

When back home I put the cassette in my father's 70s recorder and I was immediatly blown away by the start of Where Eagles Dare (still today one of the best intro songs for a metal album in my opinion)... from that day I was into Heavy Metal forever!

The day after everyone in my village knew what we did, but this is another story... ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

When - 2004 or 2005, I don't remember exactly. I "started" with Nightwish bc that was the first metal band I ever heard. I went through almost all genres, including grindcore (which I never liked), and stopped looking for genres at Viking, Black and Death with the latter two genres being very limited as to what I like from them. IMO in Black Metal there's no other band like Satyricon. Mayhem sucks, Burzum sucks even more. From Death Metal for the moment I like only one band - "One Man Army and The Undead Quartet".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Our picks

    • Whichever tier of thrash metal you consigned Sacred Reich back in the 80's/90's they still had their moments.  "Ignorance" & "Surf Nicaragura" did a great job of establishing the band, whereas "The American Way" just got a little to comfortable and accessible (the title track grates nowadays) for my ears.  A couple more records better left forgotten about and then nothing for twenty three years.  2019 alone has now seen three releases from Phil Rind and co.  A live EP, a split EP with Iron Reagan and now a full length.

      Notable addition to the ranks for the current throng of releases is former Machine Head sticksman, Dave McClean.  Love or hate Machine Head, McClean is a more than capable drummer and his presence here is felt from the off with the opening and title track kicking things off with some real gusto.  'Divide & Conquer' and 'Salvation' muddle along nicely, never quite reaching any quality that would make my balls tingle but comfortable enough.  The looming build to 'Manifest Reality' delivers a real punch when the song starts proper.  Frenzied riffs and drums with shots of lead work to hold the interest.


      There's a problem already though (I know, I am such a fucking mood hoover).  I don't like Phil's vocals.  I never had if I am being honest.  The aggression to them seems a little forced even when they are at their best on tracks like 'Manifest Reality'.  When he tries to sing it just feels weak though ('Salvation') and tracks lose real punch.  Give him a riffy number such as 'Killing Machine' and he is fine with the Reich engine (probably a poor choice of phrase) up in sixth gear.  For every thrashy riff there's a fair share of rock edged, local bar act rhythm aplenty too.

      Let's not poo-poo proceedings though, because overall I actually enjoy "Awakening".  It is stacked full of catchy riffs that are sticky on the old ears.  Whilst not as raw as perhaps the - brilliant - artwork suggests with its black and white, tattoo flash sheet style design it is enjoyable enough.  Yes, 'Death Valley' & 'Something to Believe' have no place here, saved only by Arnett and Radziwill's lead work but 'Revolution' is a fucking 80's thrash heyday throwback to the extent that if you turn the TV on during it you might catch a new episode of Cheers!

      3/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • I
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/52-vltimas-something-wicked-marches-in/
      • Reputation Points

      • 3 replies
    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/50-queensryche-the-verdict/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies

    • https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/48-candlemass-the-door-to-doom/
      • Reputation Points

      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...