When Did You First Get Into Metal?

916kaden

Mine is short but my dad used to play dire straits in the car for long journeys and I liked the sound but I wanted something heavier. That was when I knew metal was for me. I was probably about 8 years old?first proper metal song I heard was pantera and sepultura on a metal compilation album my uncle gave me. Shedding skin and terrortiary, I was shocked because I thought a monster was singing. Soon came round to the music though. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, DeadHead said:

I was lucky, my parents were into punk and so i got to listen to lots of punk and alt music from tiny small. My mum also loved Sabbath and well.. it all went downhill from there. 

I play my children metal. My son is not interested at moment but he was a fan of immortal when he was younger, now I play my daughter's metal at bed time to calm them down. There shreiking very loudly so they can't be more cross. quite often playing metal like  cannibal corpse, night wish, obituary, immortal, pantera calms them down. Amon amarth is a favourite too. Will they thank me when there older. That's questionable 😆

2 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

I play my children metal. My son is not interested at moment but he was a fan of immortal when he was younger, now I play my daughter's metal at bed time to calm them down. There shreiking very loudly so they can't be more cross. quite often playing metal like  cannibal corpse, night wish, obituary, immortal, pantera calms them down. Amon amarth is a favourite too. Will they thank me when there older. That's questionable 😆

My son used to like some metal, but as he's gotten older he's been more turned off by extreme vocals and vocals in general. His favorite is the classical station but he'll listen to fusion and piano music with me. Maybe he'll come back around to heavier stuff when he's full of teen angst? Can't wait...

On 3/12/2021 at 2:12 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

My son used to like some metal, but as he's gotten older he's been more turned off by extreme vocals and vocals in general. His favorite is the classical station but he'll listen to fusion and piano music with me. Maybe he'll come back around to heavier stuff when he's full of teen angst? Can't wait..

Hopefully your son will decide to listen to heavier stuff again. Yeahh teenage angst will hopefully do it. 😂 I'm hoping teenage angst will get my son listening to metal again and not baby shark 🦈🤭

• 2 months later...

Embarrassingly enough my first "metal" album was Quiet Riot, lol. Cum on Bring the Noise! I didn't think it was fast enough, and then I hear Anthrax's first album and the title track Deathrider and the machine gun double picked 16 notes on a distorted guitar sounded and still sounds like angels fucking to me. WOW

Then as a 12 year old my guitar teacher took me to see Metallica on the Kill Em All tour, Cliff was alive and on it. Hooked for life after that show,

Then my eight year old ears heard The Trooper from Maiden and I got a guitar, Then i heard Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, and Cannibal Corpse and have been playing and listening to metal and lots of other types of music ever since, music became my life after hearing those original thrash guys (Exodus needs an honorable mention, since they might have made the best thrash album ever?) "Kick your friend in the head and have a ball, if you hit the floor you can always crawl"

• 2 weeks later...

as a little kid my parents would put def leppard on in the car, but my dad also liked the heavier stuff and showed me some  rob zombie; it kinda went on from there. i only properly got into it recently, so now i know about bands like immortal, avenged sevenfold, helloween, ect ect. it really sparked off when i watched the movie kong: skull island, and i heard black sabbaths paranoid for the first time. that was an awsome movie. 

On 6/6/2021 at 4:56 PM, AngryWolf said:

Embarrassingly enough my first "metal" album was Quiet Riot, lol. Cum on Bring the Noise! I didn't think it was fast enough, and then I hear Anthrax's first album and the title track Deathrider and the machine gun double picked 16 notes on a distorted guitar sounded and still sounds like angels fucking to me. WOW

Then as a 12 year old my guitar teacher took me to see Metallica on the Kill Em All tour, Cliff was alive and on it. Hooked for life after that show,

Then my eight year old ears heard The Trooper from Maiden and I got a guitar, Then i heard Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, and Cannibal Corpse and have been playing and listening to metal and lots of other types of music ever since, music became my life after hearing those original thrash guys (Exodus needs an honorable mention, since they might have made the best thrash album ever?) "Kick your friend in the head and have a ball, if you hit the floor you can always crawl"

sounds cool seeing mettalica for kill em tour. wow. was it good.  imo without cliff mettalica will never do another album anywhere near those three albums, id like to be proved wrong, 

out of interest whats your favourite mettalica album?

whats your favourite mettalica lineup. think kerry king was big fan of them with mustaine in. 

exodus have done some amazing stuff, should listen to them more tbh. 

On 6/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, eternalcrypt said:

as a little kid my parents would put def leppard on in the car, but my dad also liked the heavier stuff and showed me some  rob zombie; it kinda went on from there. i only properly got into it recently, so now i know about bands like immortal, avenged sevenfold, helloween, ect ect. it really sparked off when i watched the movie kong: skull island, and i heard black sabbaths paranoid for the first time. that was an awsome movie. 

immortal or abbath are bands id like to see live, pure holocaust is so good, imo immortal live in wacken is incredible too,think it was 2007, worth seeing if you haven't already, whats your favourite album of immortals

Yeah Cliff Burton was way into music theory and melodies and harmonies. If you listen to And Justice....It is actually missing some of the more amazing 2 part guitar melodies that are harmonizing in 3rds or 5ths to get that wicked sound. Cliff was writing all that stuff. And as far as a Live line up for Metallica, I have to go with the current setup (In a perfect world Cliff would be the producer and James' writing partner, Bob Rock would be in charge of tone and sound only, and Joey from slipknot would be on drums, with Kirk solo'ing like he does now) The current bass player is amazing live, I have seen him a ton of times in a ton of bands, he always makes huge artists I love deeply sound amazing. Ozzy sounds better with Trujillo, So does Metallica. Suicidal Tendencies was something I should have listed because they are one of my absolute favorites and it is because of Trujillo to a big degree. The ST Revolution album has amazing slap bass with metal guitars grooving really hard. A Suicidal side project was called Groove Family Psycho, or something like that, and he plays slap bass for that as well. so good.

Ill probably get disagreed with here but going with the current lineup as my fav because of Trujillo and Greeny, and because I like the newer albums. Death Magnetic is an awesome thrash album, And Hardwired is a great rock/metal/thrash album too, and Kirks solos are SOOOOO much better now because he will improv, and play these great groovy bluesy weird solos that come from his soul rather than playing 3 and a half minute pentatonic runs all night in every song like when they had Cliff. Plus, any Metallica show now will be 3 hours, sound amazing, and you will hear all the cool old stuff with the new stuff, Trujillo even takes a creative approach to Cliffs solo and it sounds amazing. Also, Jason Newstead was such a NFL punter, playing with a pick...Psssshhhh, what a cheeseball >.> The Pick bass sound was just wrong for metallica, so i celebrated big when trujillo joined, because it sounded like metallica again (Well after therapy and the got some kind of monster out of their system and started making thrash again) The Black album load reload SKoM, are not really metallica albums for me, they are Bob Rock albums. And they are radio, arena rock albums, and frankly AC/DC does that better and I love them for it ya know.

As for Mustaine, I think we would have lost such a killer band if he had just been a lead player in metallica. Megadeth writes cooler songs for me. More emphasis on darker melodic content, with faster riffage and more minor notes and badass lead players always. So I dig ride the lightning, but Dave needed to make his music or this world would have been a lesser universe as a whole.

Black Sabbath did a reunion tour like a couple of decades ago, and their is a 2 show DvD that smashes balls. HD sound and they play all the songs with the original line up, crushing!

59 minutes ago, AngryWolf said:

As for Mustaine, I think we would have lost such a killer band if he had just been a lead player in metallica. Megadeth writes cooler songs for me. More emphasis on darker melodic content, with faster riffage and more minor notes and badass lead players always. So I dig ride the lightning, but Dave needed to make his music or this world would have been a lesser universe as a whole.

I agree with that, Mustaine staying in Metallica would never have given us a Megadeth and we needed Megadeth. For all his faults and failings, and there is many, Mustaine, and Ellefson too, have given the metal world so much more than if there was no Megadeth.

9 hours ago, AngryWolf said:

Ill probably get disagreed with here but going with the current lineup as my fav because of Trujillo and Greeny, and because I like the newer albums. Death Magnetic is an awesome thrash album, And Hardwired is a great rock/metal/thrash album too,

This is so weird... I know people exist out there that doesn't hear absolute trainwrecks when listening to Death Magnetic or Hardwired, but I just can't understand how that's possible. Both albums feels so incredibly tired and uninspired to me. There's riffs, but they're not those memorable, fun Hetfield mega-riffs that got stuck in your brain. These are more the kind that finds a hook, and then keeps hammering that one thing over and over til the horse is pulpy mush. Which brings me to the biggest problem: arrangement. Metallica do NOT know how to edit songs anymore. intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, they all either go on for too long, or seemingly stop before being fully developed. In every damn song! It's awful to listen to. It's not helped by the fact that every idea or riff or drum beat are seemingly recorded on the spot, they sound so damn unfinished, which is frankly inexcusable when you're talking about multimillionaires with their own studio and rehearsal and private chefs etc. Lastly, the lyrics since St. Anger has been awful and juvenile. Period. "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"? Fuck of with that teenage bullshit!

I guess because of the dissapointment of the black album and the bar being set so low, I was just happy to hear them play thrash again. And justice was really bad, no bass, bad production. 8 minute arrangements so boring, they wont even play most of it live. The first three albums were worse. So im not sure what people are hearing when they listen to kill em all which sounds like it is one step above 4 track quality. People have a reverence for those first 4 albums and they are just Venom songs redone. Boring to musicians, E and F and F# for four albums... talk about uninspired. Death magnetic is where they started writing their own stuff. They arent copying someone else, they arent doing bob rock songs, they are finally actually writing original things, and im not sure what you are expecting from metallica but it is written for angry teenagers, so your critcism on the lyrics is that they arent philosophy and they are written towards teenage angst because thats who metallica fans are? I certainly dont agree but it did make me laugh.

They were never known for deep sensitive lyrics, they arent coldplay, lol. So they are connecting with their audience in the way that has worked for them for 4 decades. You need to go to a nice poetry recital maybe? Perhaps read some philosophy? Looking for wisdom from a metal band's lyrics is like expecting to meet a genius on the short bus.

And it doesnt matter what any of us think because they figured it out. Any metallica show will now sell out within hours of being announced. No one in this discussion is able to make money with music like they did, and sell out everyshow everynight everywhere so they know something we dont.

21 hours ago, blaaacdoommmmfan said:

sounds cool seeing mettalica for kill em tour. wow. was it good.  imo without cliff mettalica will never do another album anywhere near those three albums, id like to be proved wrong, 

out of interest whats your favourite mettalica album?

whats your favourite mettalica lineup. think kerry king was big fan of them with mustaine in. 

exodus have done some amazing stuff, should listen to them more tbh. 

immortal or abbath are bands id like to see live, pure holocaust is so good, imo immortal live in wacken is incredible too,think it was 2007, worth seeing if you haven't already, whats your favourite album of immortals

personally, id have to say ride the lighting is my favorite album. its really awesome, individual and a downright classic. i used to have the t shirt, but it doesnt fit me anymore...😥 i think back in 1984, that was the best lineup, although ive never really thought about that before. finally, i gotta say that at the heart of winter is my favorite immortal album, of course that was their finest hour so it makes sense why thats my favorite, but withstand the fall of time is a great song.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:18 PM, DeadHead said:

I was lucky, my parents were into punk and so i got to listen to lots of punk and alt music from tiny small. My mum also loved Sabbath and well.. it all went downhill from there. 

lmao

16 hours ago, AngryWolf said:

The first three albums were worse. So im not sure what people are hearing when they listen to kill em all which sounds like it is one step above 4 track quality. People have a reverence for those first 4 albums and they are just Venom songs redone. Boring to musicians, E and F and F# for four albums... talk about uninspired.

Yeah, but music theory aside, the first four albums have the essentials of good metal: memorable riffs, memorable and enjoyable leads/licks, great arrangements (AJFA stumbled, but they got it together, mostly), and yes good lyrics. KEA to me is youth, exuberance, frenzy. Throw everything we have and play beyond our abilities because we're actually making an album, raaaah! That's it's charm and that's what makes it lovable. And that's not nostalgia talking, I didn't hear KEA until I was well into my teens.

and im not sure what you are expecting from metallica but it is written for angry teenagers, so your critcism on the lyrics is that they arent philosophy and they are written towards teenage angst because thats who metallica fans are? I certainly dont agree but it did make me laugh.

They were never known for deep sensitive lyrics, they arent coldplay, lol. So they are connecting with their audience in the way that has worked for them for 4 decades. You need to go to a nice poetry recital maybe? Perhaps read some philosophy?

I just don't think that holds true. If one thing, Metallica was known for their well-written and emotionally effective lyrics, once they moved past KEA. Master of puppets, For whom the bell tolls, One, Through the never, they are all great, compact little pieces of narrative. Compare that to something like Broken, beat, scarred, where they just employ the Iron Maiden school of writing and just repeat a line for lack of more ideas.

[Chorus:]
Breaking your teeth on the hard life coming
Show your scars
Cutting your feet on the hard earth running
Show your scars
Breaking your life, broken beat and scarred
But we die hard

The dawn, the death, the fight to the final breath
What don't kill you makes you more strong
The dawn, the death, the fight to the final breath

Dawn, death, fight, final breath
Dawn, death, fight, final breath

They scratch me
They scrape me
They cut and rape me

[Chorus]

Breaking your teeth on the hard life coming
Show your scars
Cutting your feet on the hard earth running
Show your scars
Bleeding your soul in a hard luck story
Show your scars
Spilling your blood in the hot sun's glory
Show your scars
Breaking your life, broken, beat and scarred
We die hard

I'm sorry, I just think it's bad.

And I mean, the reason they and IM sell out arenas is because they're nostalgia acts. It's not manUNkind that gets asses into seats, it's MoP and Enter Sandman. They realised this in the 00's and started bringing more songs out from the vaults. Suddenly it was thrilling to maybe get to hear Disposable heroes on a set list.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:10 PM, eternalcrypt said:

personally, id have to say ride the lighting is my favorite album. its really awesome, individual and a downright classic. i used to have the t shirt, but it doesnt fit me anymore...😥 i think back in 1984, that was the best lineup, although ive never really thought about that before. finally, i gotta say that at the heart of winter is my favorite immortal album, of course that was their finest hour so it makes sense why thats my favorite, but withstand the fall of time is a great song.

lmao

its my favourite of mettalicas also. it has good exciting energy when i listen to it and technical mastery in there too. im no musician but it just sounds good. love the opening riff from ride the lighting. so simple but it works so well.   bit rubbish that your lightning t shirt is getting passed it. you could put the old one in safe place or frame it. last thing you want is someone using the t shirt as a duster. definitely  not cool😫

thanks re immortal pick. ive listened to this album but not got in to it. maybe an album that improves with plays. thanks for top track recommendation from it too. 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:20 AM, Sheol said:

This is so weird... I know people exist out there that doesn't hear absolute trainwrecks when listening to Death Magnetic or Hardwired, but I just can't understand how that's possible. Both albums feels so incredibly tired and uninspired to me. There's riffs, but they're not those memorable, fun Hetfield mega-riffs that got stuck in your brain. These are more the kind that finds a hook, and then keeps hammering that one thing over and over til the horse is pulpy mush. Which brings me to the biggest problem: arrangement. Metallica do NOT know how to edit songs anymore. intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro, they all either go on for too long, or seemingly stop before being fully developed. In every damn song! It's awful to listen to. It's not helped by the fact that every idea or riff or drum beat are seemingly recorded on the spot, they sound so damn unfinished, which is frankly inexcusable when you're talking about multimillionaires with their own studio and rehearsal and private chefs etc. Lastly, the lyrics since St. Anger has been awful and juvenile. Period. "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"? Fuck of with that teenage bullshit!

im with you re the named albums being uninspired. there not bad albums for me just not the sort which make me excited to listen to them. possibly even if cliff had survived they would have gone down this path anyway or hed quit. mind you there really popular so its worked for them. saying all this id see them live if tickets we're not so expensive. just for the classics.  

All outstanding metallica points, I think it is perspective, Once you have done Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, for 20 or 30 years. You want to change it up,

Thanks for letting me play devils advocate, im always trying to really give a chance to whatever an artist is doing RIGHT now, the tendency is to dismiss it because it isn't what they did before, but that kind of growth and change is interesting to me.

Growing up in the 80’s meant an introduction to the metal/rock scene through my older sister and my friends older siblings. We “borrowed” tapes and records of Iron Maiden, Guns N’ Roses, Def Leppard, Metallica, Motley Crew, Europe etc..

Then the 90’s hit and the Grunge scene took off so that is what I was exposed to. Luckily, I was exposed to the extreme metal scene by a another pupil at school that had recently been enrolled. Through him* I swapped tapes and was introduced to Pantera and Sepultura. This my first exposure to the extreme metal scene. As it was the 90’s, I was out clubbing so EDM was also on my horizon but the rock/metal scene was always there.

In the late 90’s, through magazines, I was introduced to Black Metal scene, amongst others, but Black Metal resonated with me and since has been my genre of choice.

*An AMG review threw up a name that seemed familiar, James Fogarty, seems like he has carved a career in Black Metal.

How much did grunge effect people? I was well into metal before grunge and I did listen to some grunge bands, although they weren't a big part of what I was listening too. I know there is plenty of people who say grunge killed metal but for me it never really did. Some bands went down hill, some didn't come back, but there was still bands around pulling their weight so grunge was just another genre to me.