When Did You First Get Into Metal?

916kaden

For me it all started just over 10 years ago when I was about 12-13.  I didn't really have much knowledge of the genre at all (Guns n Roses was about as close to metal as I had ever experienced) and didn't have any particular interest in any other kinds of music either.  I did a lot of online gaming back in the day (more specifically WoW 8-)) and a few of the guys I played with got into the habit of playing Linkin Park through their mics for the rest of us to hear.  This sounds laughable now but at the time this was pretty much the heaviest stuff I had ever heard!  One day I found myself in a record store and decided to pick up one of their albums.  I listened to it pretty much on a constant loop, and looking back that's really what planted the seed.  From that point I was driven to discover more of this heavy, aggressive sounding music, and eventually graduated to the likes of Metallica, Maiden, Ozzy, Motorhead etc.

Since then I've explored the various sub-genres of metal and even today my tastes range from Sabaton, Volbeat, Ministry, Obituary and Celtic Frost just to name a small few.  But that's the long and short of how I came to be a metal fan - from some crackly background music to Slayer mosh pits :wink:.  Naturally I've moved on from Linkin Park but will always give them credit for bridging myself and many of the younger generations as a whole into the world of metal.

Metal is a wonderful genre that speaks to me in a way that no other kind of music ever will.  And behind the heavy sounds and "don't give a fuck" attitude that we all know and love I'd be hard pressed to find a scene/sub-culture that fosters such comradery and inclusion among its followers as metal does.

• 2 months later...

For me it was in late 2010 and early 2011 when my friends invited me to go to Download Festival with them, I hadn't really heard much metal before then so I checked out out System of a Down and Linkin Park as they were healdining that year and then checked out other bands like Metallica and Korn and I enjoyed what I was listening to so I continued to explore different artists and kept finding new songs, albums and artists that I liked.

• 1 month later...

When I first got into metal depends on your relative definition of "into metal."

In 1996 when I was 12, I spent my allowance on Metallica - Load which came out that year, because I saw the Until It Sleeps video on TV and thought it was cool (yeah yeah, I know, I didn't know any better). I was later hanging out with a friend who was I think 15 at the time (knew him forever, our moms are best friends) and I told him about the album. He said "that's shitty new Metallica, you need to hear some of their old stuff!" He then played a few songs from the Black Album and Master of Puppets and I was hooked. Whenever I had the allowance and opportunity to go to the cd store I bought a new Metallica album, until I had all of them. I then checked out a few metal more bands like Megadeth, Pantera, Sabbath/Ozzy, and Tool. Throughout high school, I didn't add that many more metal bands to my collection, as I was listening to pretty much all forms of rock (including Nu Metal - I figured some of you would appreciate that distinction). I did consider Metallica my favorite band though.

In college, I became a huge jazz fan. I got really into playing music (alto and tenor sax) in both my school's band and some gigs at restaurants, took music theory classes, and attended jazz jam sessions when I had time. Jazz became my main indulgence (especially modal jazz, hard bop, and fusion). I then got into some progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Phish, Jethro Tull, etc.), which I was drawn to by the elements of jazz present in it. Subsequently, I checked out some progressive metal (Opeth, Mastodon, Dream Theater, etc.).

Throughout the rest of my 20s and early 30s (I'm 34 now), I was very eclectic, listening to many genres including metal, jazz, blues, progressive rock, classic rock, hard rock, alternative, hip hop, reggae, and so on, with jazz still being at the top. My metal listening mainly stuck to a dozen or so thrash, old school metal, and prog metal bands I was familiar with, except for a few times when I went on a metal kick and skimmed a bunch of bands over a couple weeks but forgot most of them and walked away with one or two that I stayed into (Amon Amarth, Kamelot, and Ghost came out these "metal kicks"). I would then get distracted before really gaining the metal familiarity/understanding that most metalheads I know have.

For the past month of so I have been on a huge metal kick, one much more intense than the previous ones. I think what triggered it was a chat about metal with a friend (who's a metalhead) over a few beers, when I realized that I enjoy metal too much to not be into that many metal bands and to not have really explored many of the different metal genres. I've been diving into a lot of metal genres, most notably melodeath, melodic black metal, and power metal, while dabbling in a few others. I feel like this metal kick is not going to be short and fleeting like the others as a lot of the new music I've been listening to has been REALLY clicking with me. 

Back to the question of when I first got into metal, it depends if being a casual fan as I have been qualifies as being "into metal." If so, the answer is 1996 when I was 12 with Metallica. However, if "into metal" means being a full-blown metalhead, and if I continue my current metal indulgence on a permanent basis, years from now my best answer may be March/April 2018. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 7:37 AM, gregsbrews said:

When I first got into metal depends on your relative definition of "into metal."

In 1996 when I was 12, I spent my allowance on Metallica - Load which came out that year, because I saw the Until It Sleeps video on TV and thought it was cool (yeah yeah, I know, I didn't know any better). I was later hanging out with a friend who was I think 15 at the time (knew him forever, our moms are best friends) and I told him about the album. He said "that's shitty new Metallica, you need to hear some of their old stuff!" He then played a few songs from the Black Album and Master of Puppets and I was hooked. Whenever I had the allowance and opportunity to go to the cd store I bought a new Metallica album, until I had all of them. I then checked out a few metal more bands like Megadeth, Pantera, Sabbath/Ozzy, and Tool. Throughout high school, I didn't add that many more metal bands to my collection, as I was listening to pretty much all forms of rock (including Nu Metal - I figured some of you would appreciate that distinction). I did consider Metallica my favorite band though.

In college, I became a huge jazz fan. I got really into playing music (alto and tenor sax) in both my school's band and some gigs at restaurants, took music theory classes, and attended jazz jam sessions when I had time. Jazz became my main indulgence (especially modal jazz, hard bop, and fusion). I then got into some progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Phish, Jethro Tull, etc.), which I was drawn to by the elements of jazz present in it. Subsequently, I checked out some progressive metal (Opeth, Mastodon, Dream Theater, etc.).

Throughout the rest of my 20s and early 30s (I'm 34 now), I was very eclectic, listening to many genres including metal, jazz, blues, progressive rock, classic rock, hard rock, alternative, hip hop, reggae, and so on, with jazz still being at the top. My metal listening mainly stuck to a dozen or so thrash, old school metal, and prog metal bands I was familiar with, except for a few times when I went on a metal kick and skimmed a bunch of bands over a couple weeks but forgot most of them and walked away with one or two that I stayed into (Amon Amarth, Kamelot, and Ghost came out these "metal kicks"). I would then get distracted before really gaining the metal familiarity/understanding that most metalheads I know have.

For the past month of so I have been on a huge metal kick, one much more intense than the previous ones. I think what triggered it was a chat about metal with a friend (who's a metalhead) over a few beers, when I realized that I enjoy metal too much to not be into that many metal bands and to not have really explored many of the different metal genres. I've been diving into a lot of metal genres, most notably melodeath, melodic black metal, and power metal, while dabbling in a few others. I feel like this metal kick is not going to be short and fleeting like the others as a lot of the new music I've been listening to has been REALLY clicking with me. 

Back to the question of when I first got into metal, it depends if being a casual fan as I have been qualifies as being "into metal." If so, the answer is 1996 when I was 12 with Metallica. However, if "into metal" means being a full-blown metalhead, and if I continue my current metal indulgence on a permanent basis, years from now my best answer may be March/April 2018. 

This is a great account of musical exploration. 

As you no doubt recognise, metal has so many strands and styles, with great bands at the peak of every genre, that there is a plethora of material out there waiting for you. Metal is truly amazing in 2018, looking back across the landscape through nearly 50 years of classics. 

• 4 months later...

My parents were both metalheads, so I have always been around it, but the bands that stick out to me early on are Black Sabbath, Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, lots of old thrash. Then in my teens I transitioned into a lot of death metal and black metal. Death was one of the first bands that bridged me from thrash into death metal.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got 2 front row tickets to see Iron Maiden and Judas Preist in High School.  My buddy was like, "who are they?"

I didn't really know either, but hey it was front row! 

After that concert I realized that other concerts I had seen really sucked.  I didn't know any better until then.  I bought every Judas Preist and Maiden record in the following months and never looked back.  I also got a guitar, but that is another thread.

18 hours ago, Hiwatt said:

I got 2 front row tickets to see Iron Maiden and Judas Preist in High School.  My buddy was like, "who are they?"

After that concert I realized that other concerts I had seen really sucked.  I didn't know any better until then.  I bought every Judas Preist and Maiden record in the following months and never looked back.  I also got a guitar, but that is another thread.

Wow, so lucky.  I saw Iron Maiden in 2017 in Liverpool and i'm seeing Priest this year in Birmingham, would've loved to have seen them in their prime tho, how long ago was that?

On 1/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, Hiwatt said:

Pretty amazing story, receiving front row tickets to Maiden and Priest when you didn't even really know who they were. I would think that this would be one of the rarer introductions to metal - front row tickets! 

You've sort of gone the opposite of the gateway bands/commercial rock path that most of us have taken. 

• 3 weeks later...

back when i'm 14 years old. when i am first bought Keeper Of The seven keys part II Cassette by helloween.first time i listen to whole of song on this album.and i am really feels amazed and impressive on this album. after that i try to looking for few newer band and saxon,maiden,priest,Megadeth,Manowar gave me lot more attention about metal. and then few years later. i think i am tried band which more faster,louder and extreme sound. and i've got Arise record by sepultura and Legion by Deicide. both are my first extreme metal albums i've heard. it's pretty evil sounding,blasphemous, and aggressive. and for that i've decided to get more deeper on  metal sub-genre. i am tried every metal sub genre start from power to black metal,death metal to folk metal,etc. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2011 at 12:19 AM, 916kaden said:

what was the first music you listened to? and what was the first metal band you heard or whatever got you into it?

My earliest memories of music are my Mother playing Meat Loaf's Bat Outta Hell for me on her record player. Once I heard the mesmerizing story he laid before me along with the motorcycle sounds rumbling from Todd Rundgren's guitar I was hooked. I know Meat Loaf isn't considered metal but he was my first introduction to rock n roll. I guess the first band I listened to that would be considered metal would be Black Sabbath. I AM IRON MAN.

• 4 months later...

When I was 6 my 14 year old sister had a metalhead boyfriend and he always brought CDs. Liked it immediately.

Really, really got into it with doing music and going to shows and the like much later for different reasons, would be a longer more personal Story which I don't wanna share with everyone to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Around 1981, my older cousin used to watch a TV show called The NewMusic. I remember seeing Motorhead and Venom videos, but I didn't appreciate it yet because I was only 11.

Around 1983, my dad finally got cable television. I saw Iron Maiden featured on some late-night video program, and I loved it right away. Guess I was finally old enough to get it. They were referring to Maiden as 'heavy metal' and it was the first time I heard the term.

Then my cousin gave me some records she didn't want. It included Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality which made quite an impact.

Throughout the eighties, I tuned-in to MuchMusic's Power Hour on TV, every Thursday without fail. I started liking thrash and the more extreme metal.

Before the internet existed we were literally in the dark. Learning was a slow process.

I started buying albums by Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Anthrax. Those were my gateway bands.

Around 1987, somebody at school was supposedly into 'underground' and 'Satanic' metal. He seemed like a freak and I was pretty interested. We started tape trading. He gave me recordings of Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Destruction, Possessed, Sacrifice, Exorcist, etc. - bands I didn't know even existed.

After hearing that, I was totally possessed by metal.  By 1990, Death Metal was getting pretty big and I was buying stuff like: Deicide, Obituary, Death, Entombed, Carcass, Napalm Death, etc.

My metal story starts in 2002, wow been a headbanger 17 years already, with my cousin. I didn't have much of an interest in music at the time, nothing really grabbed my attention, so when we visited him and I heard what I now know to be the Cowboys From Hell riff I recall thinking wow what's that? Over the next few months he'd show me bands whenever I came to visit. Pantera, Megadeth, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Angel Witch, Slayer - anything he was listening to at the time. Before long I was buying albums, saving up pocket money to do it, but my parents were very anti-metal at the time so I had to hide them and only listen when no one was around. I kept that up for years, getting stuck in a rut because I kept seeing the same bands on store shelves and either owned all their stuff or knew the band was no good. That was until I joined this place - what an eye opener that was. I still get that kid in a candy store feeling every time I look through the recommended bands threads and find cool stuff I haven't heard before.

7 hours ago, VolcanicSlut said:

Around 1981, my older cousin used to watch a TV show called The NewMusic. I remember seeing Motorhead and Venom videos, but I didn't appreciate it yet because I was only 11.

Around 1983, my dad finally got cable television. I saw Iron Maiden featured on some late-night video program, and I loved it right away. Guess I was finally old enough to get it. They were referring to Maiden as 'heavy metal' and it was the first time I heard the term.

Then my cousin gave me some records she didn't want. It included Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality which made quite an impact.

Throughout the eighties, I tuned-in to MuchMusic's Power Hour on TV, every Thursday without fail. I started liking thrash and the more extreme metal.

Before the internet existed we were literally in the dark. Learning was a slow process.

I started buying albums by Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Anthrax. Those were my gateway bands.

Around 1987, somebody at school was supposedly into 'underground' and 'Satanic' metal. He seemed like a freak and I was pretty interested. We started tape trading. He gave me recordings of Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Destruction, Possessed, Sacrifice, Exorcist, etc. - bands I didn't know even existed.

After hearing that, I was totally possessed by metal.  By 1990, Death Metal was getting pretty big and I was buying stuff like: Deicide, Obituary, Death, Entombed, Carcass, Napalm Death, etc.

Great story. 

While I had grown up liking the metal songs on Guitar Hero and Rock Band, I didn’t really start getting into metal until I was 16 (3 years ago). I joined this forum and a metal Facebook group, got recommendations, and increased my knowledge of metal. I remember my mother being worried about my “obsession with heavy metal” and being afraid that I was going to start doing drugs, getting tattoos, and worshipping Satan. After 3 years, my mother is fine with my love of heavy metal, and I haven’t done any of the stereotypes. When I was 16, I started with thrash metal since I was already into Metallica. But after a while, I started exploring other sub genres and becoming familiar with many different bands. So far, I’ve learned a lot about music in general since I’ve started really listening to metal. I don’t regret it at all. So here’s to 3 more years, if not 50 more. ?

My earliest memory of listening to metal was around ´92 while listening to Guns N Roses on my brothers walkman while going on vacation to Norway. After that vacation i would sometimes listen to some of the album my brother owned. Stuff like Body Count, Pantera, Metallica. But i only liked a few songs, never the whole album.

Then i was about 14 i really got into rap music and that lasted about a year 5 until i got bored with the new wave of rappers. So when i was about 20 i decided to rekindle my love for metal. I remember seeing Korn on TV when their album "Follow The Leader" dropped and that was the perfect gateway album for me. It still had those hip hop influences i liked at the time but also the heaviness that was missing from hip hop. The next big influence was Rob Zombie. After having bought the DVD of "House of 1000 Corpses" i almost instantly fell in love with the soundtrack. So i started buying all his solo and White Zombie records which turn led me to other bands like Slayer, Misfits, Body Count and Pantera amongst other.

When i turned 25 i decided it was time for something more extreme and started exploring black metal. I started fairly innocent with Satyricon since i really like their songs K.I.N.G. and The Pentagram burns. And after that i slowly worked my way up the list of famous/notorious black metal bands (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum, etc) and now 12 years later i´m still knees deep in the black metal genre just looking for the next band to discover. To this day black metal remains my biggest passion of all the metal genres that i´ve tried exploring.

The thing is can´t imagine living without metal anymore. Even back in my youth it had a very strong attraction for me but as i got older it only got more intense. For me it has become a really cathartic medium through which i can channel my emotions whether it be anger, sadness or some other emotion. Living without metal would really diminish my quality of life.

• 4 weeks later...

My mom would play hair metal when I was a kid and when she met my stepdad, he brought classic heavy metal like Led Zep and Sabbath to the household. This was the early 90s so I associate stuff like Thin Lizzy and AC/DC with being woken up to do yardwork in the summer. I started listening to the mid-90s trendy stuff like Tool and Korn with my friends, and one of them started playing Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss, I think) while we were skateboarding one day. I was pretty into all the nu-metal stuff at that point, and Slayer was the first real fast, brutal band that blew me away with how evil and cathartic it sounded. I also accidentally bought the Mortal Kombat OST which had Napalm Death and Fear Factory on it, which remained two of my favorite bands for years. I would stay up late Sunday nights in middle school (like '98, '99) to catch an extreme metal radio show in Phoenix and try to tape it so I could listen to it on my Walkman at school the next day. 

In high school I kinda fell out of metal and got into Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel and weird art-rock, which still holds a spot in my heart, but then stumbled upon an Eighteen Visions/Lamb of God/Five Pointe O/Mushroomhead show at a tiny venue and it wrecked my shit and I dove deeper into metal. I started jamming with a drummer who turned me onto Discordance Axis and At The Gates and there was no turning back. 

It's almost like drugs. I keep finding something new that makes me feel this intense floaty jaw-dropping feeling and then I get used to it, and then find something else. The newest thing for me is some black metal, and who knows what the next will be. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:22 PM, BTAKQ said:

My mom would play hair metal when I was a kid and when she met my stepdad, he brought classic heavy metal like Led Zep and Sabbath to the household. This was the early 90s so I associate stuff like Thin Lizzy and AC/DC with being woken up to do yardwork in the summer. I started listening to the mid-90s trendy stuff like Tool and Korn with my friends, and one of them started playing Slayer (Seasons in the Abyss, I think) while we were skateboarding one day. I was pretty into all the nu-metal stuff at that point, and Slayer was the first real fast, brutal band that blew me away with how evil and cathartic it sounded. I also accidentally bought the Mortal Kombat OST which had Napalm Death and Fear Factory on it, which remained two of my favorite bands for years. I would stay up late Sunday nights in middle school (like '98, '99) to catch an extreme metal radio show in Phoenix and try to tape it so I could listen to it on my Walkman at school the next day. 

In high school I kinda fell out of metal and got into Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel and weird art-rock, which still holds a spot in my heart, but then stumbled upon an Eighteen Visions/Lamb of God/Five Pointe O/Mushroomhead show at a tiny venue and it wrecked my shit and I dove deeper into metal. I started jamming with a drummer who turned me onto Discordance Axis and At The Gates and there was no turning back. 

It's almost like drugs. I keep finding something new that makes me feel this intense floaty jaw-dropping feeling and then I get used to it, and then find something else. The newest thing for me is some black metal, and who knows what the next will be. 

Great story. 

A lot of people my vintage around here and who share similar sorts of metal narratives (although the Radiohead thing never played a part in my story, thankfully). 

I finished high school in 97, so I was right in the whole nu-metal thing too. 

11 hours ago, Requiem said:

Great story. 

A lot of people my vintage around here and who share similar sorts of metal narratives (although the Radiohead thing never played a part in my story, thankfully). 

I finished high school in 97, so I was right in the whole nu-metal thing too. 

Yeah nü-metal gets a lot of flack but some good bands and albums came from the movement, and it was a great stepping stone for tons of people for metal as a whole. The first time I heard a blastbeat and enjoyed it was a Slipknot song! I’m a little younger than you (33) but our story is common.