What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Them brand new knives are pretty sharp. Don't slice your fingers off.

Indeed they are, fortunately for me, like most chefs, actually, the way in which I hold whatever I’m currently slicing, means unless I am incredibly unlucky the most damage I can do is taking a little skin off my knuckles

Speaking of skin off the knuckles, I was up til 1AM last night in the ER with our not-so-little little fella, who somehow tripped over his bedframe trying to change his sheets and cut his toe deep enough to need three stitches. I have never seen someone freak out as hard around doctors as he does. Yikes.

The move was brutal. My feet, legs, and back are still fucked up from all the carrying, and I wound up having to buy bigger shoes. The house is really nice and it's a relaxing place to be. We are going through money like Canadian wildfire smoke through Vermonters' lungs, what with car repairs and sliced toes and bigger shoes and so forth, but I think in the end it'll be positive. Right now I miss the absolute hell out of my real life community. The view from the living room is awesome.

The floods up here thankfully missed most of our town, but it's like soup all the time. I'm running a dehumidifier nonstop in the basement, emptying it four times a day, and still not getting down below 55% humidity. It's supposed to be my music studio but the guitars kinda hate it down there. It's also supposed to be my painting studio. I am skeptical. From the basement, I have a view of a dead mouse who got trapped between the pane and the screen. The spiderwebs are actually robust enough to catch pieces of the pink fiberglass insulation between the floor joists and keep them from falling on my head. There's a whole ecosystem there that I just need to make friends with.

I'm not really listening to much of anything lately. I've been lucky enough to hear a couple of unreleased things that friends have sent me but other than that I'm staying the hell away from new music. Too jaded to enjoy it right now. I need way more walks in the woods.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm not really listening to much of anything lately. I've been lucky enough to hear a couple of unreleased things that friends have sent me but other than that I'm staying the hell away from new music. Too jaded to enjoy it right now. I need way more walks in the woods.

Thanks for the update.

I would hate to move...

Crack on.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Just wait til the Goat AI takes over. It's not gonna be pretty. Glad I'm old so I'll be dead soon and won't have to be a goat slave like the rest-a-yiz.

I’ll worry about AI the day it stops acting in accordance with the limits, humanity placed on its code. Since I don’t envision at happening any time soon I somehow doubt we are facing a Skynet situation. I do hope the writers union, and really any other unions whose livelihoods rely on writing, are able to guarantee protection so their work can’t just be replaced by one bloke entering a couple. Random phrases into ChatGBT though. Also why does Goatslave sound like a Black Metal band?

Goatslave - Procession of Doom, France 2016

AI will not "take over" and replace humans. People using AI will control people who are not using AI. So it will be like a super weapon. All these people who worked on making the AI are quitting their jobs to go on tour to warn us about AI. I would take then seriously.

AI Expert's Urgent Wake-Up Call: Unveiling the Silent Threat w/ Mo Gawdat

How AI Will DISRUPT The Entire World In 3 Years (Prepare Now While Others Panic) | Emad Mostaque

5 hours ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I do hope the writers union, and really any other unions whose livelihoods rely on writing, are able to guarantee protection so their work can’t just be replaced by one bloke entering a couple. Random phrases into ChatGBT though.

There's no way they can. No company in their right mind is going to give up the ability to do more work for far less cost. It's like assembly line workers demanding they not be replaced by robots...they're trying to argue against being made obsolete. At best they'll manage a deal that will delay AI writing for a bit longer, but have no illusions...it is going to happen.

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Just wait til the Goat AI takes over. It's not gonna be pretty. Glad I'm old so I'll be dead soon and won't have to be a goat slave like the rest-a-yiz.

The goats will still need someone to give them hair cuts, untangle them from black berry bushes and open gates for them. I'll be okay, maybe still a slave, but a well looked after slave that tends to their needs.

4 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

There's no way they can. No company in their right mind is going to give up the ability to do more work for far less cost. It's like assembly line workers demanding they not be replaced by robots...they're trying to argue against being made obsolete. At best they'll manage a deal that will delay AI writing for a bit longer, but have no illusions...it is going to happen.

I agree companies want to maximise profits, however AI can’t report on world events in real time, nor does it possess human creativity. Sure, you could probably use it to generate the script, mobile latest fast and furious or avengers movies, but people are already pretty sick of those. Also, this is why we need a better model than unrestricted capitalism.

Alright. I'll bite. I'm not the least bit worried about AI. It's a non-issue. If the absolute worst case scenario comes to pass and we have majority generative AI creating artwork, high end decisive code, and advertising at some point you end up with majority AI creating all this based off of majority AI and the loop basically implodes. Take a massive amount of recipes for pancakes, aggregate them over and over, and you end up with pancakes that call for 8.2 cups of flour with 3.6 eggs and 1.25 tablespoons of cinnamon which obviously doesn't grok to borrow the term. This is all before you at AI based reviews and articles which end up being so patently ridiculous and easy to pinpoint it's absurd.

AI itself is not the real problem. AI, like most new technological advancements, is wonderful and awesome. We're only at the very beginning stages of it now, but in 10 - 15 - 20 years AI will be able to do things that we can't even imagine yet. I'm not just talking about self-driving cars. It'll put a lot of coders out of work one day because at some point all the coding will be done by AI. It will revolutionize medical diagnostics and manufacturing and the financial industry and many other industries. It will also create untold amounts of wealth.

The real problems will start when greedy wealthy people or corporations in the future will start using existing AI to develop their own special proprietary AI to use for evil, criminal, unethical and immoral purposes. Think of like Bitcoin mining farms on steroids, but millions of times more powerful. Our modern day computing power has grown exponentially over the last 40 years to where our state of the art super computers are now millions of times more powerful than what we had in the 80's. With AI doing most of the work for us going forward, imagine how much more exponentially rapidly our computing power will be able to grow in 40 more years. The faster it gets, the faster the growth will be able to accelerate. State of the art super computers will literally be trillions of times more powerful in another 30 or 40 years compared to what we have today.

So the real problem as always will come down to people. Bad people and the bad things they'll be able to accomplish with the aid of ultra-advanced, super-powerful AI, not the AI itself. The number of billionaires in the world has tripled in the decade from 2010 to 2020 to 2,100. Three years later we have 2,700 billionaires, 25% of them in the USA. In another 20 years we'll have thousands more billionaires. That means more Jeff Bezoses, Bill Gateses and Elon Musks running round doing whatever the fuck they want because with all that money they can. These are the people and organizations who will have the potential to do real harm with AI.

AI will not on its own become sentient and "take over" the world and eliminate all the humans like Blivvie's Skynet reference. AI is just computers computing. Which same as ever just boils down to 1's and 0's being analyzed, calculated and manipulated at very high speeds which are getting faster every day. And even if as the experts say AI will at some point learn to "think" it will still always just be machines. And all this nonsense about people wanting to ascribe emotions and and feelings and evil intentions to machines is just that, nonsense for filmmakers and sci-fi writers to have fun with. At least for now until all the writing and film directing will be done by AI.

I agree with GG and Surgical Brute.

The issue is AI will be used by the wrong people to enrich themselves at the expense of others.

By the way many tech billionaires have been pushing for universal basic income because they have understood for years that AI will make most of us obsolete.

Hence give the masses bread do they don't tear the place down.

Imagine if you worked hard all your life and saved your coins and built up your portfolio and your tax deferred retirement accounts so that one day you might be able to retire. And then one day you go to check your balance and it's all gone because some evil scumbag developed an AI supercomputer that could drain thousands of accounts a day without any way to trace it back to them and funnel all that money and assets into their own. There are a million different ways people will think of to destroy people's lives to get insanely rich with AI. It's not just a matter of AI being able to do human's jobs better and quicker and cheaper putting people out of work and forcing them to learn new marketable skills. AI will do that too, but it will really give new meaning to the phrase "white collar crime."

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Alright. I'll bite. I'm not the least bit worried about AI. It's a non-issue. If the absolute worst case scenario comes to pass and we have majority generative AI creating artwork, high end decisive code, and advertising at some point you end up with majority AI creating all this based off of majority AI and the loop basically implodes. Take a massive amount of recipes for pancakes, aggregate them over and over, and you end up with pancakes that call for 8.2 cups of flour with 3.6 eggs and 1.25 tablespoons of cinnamon which obviously doesn't grok to borrow the term. This is all before you at AI based reviews and articles which end up being so patently ridiculous and easy to pinpoint it's absurd.

Too much cinnamon?