What's on your mind?

Apoc

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Sadly that shit has been happening for years, AI will just be a new way of doing it. We already have shitheads whose day time job is to try and swindle people out of their life savings. We don't need the sophistication and automation of AI to do it, it will just make it easier.

Yeah there are a lots of scammers out there now, but one day AI will enable the corporations and the criminals to screw us all on an industrial scale and hoard all the money for themselves. It'll be like that movie Elysium where everyone's living in abject squalor fighting for table scraps down here and the wealthy elites are up in their insular bubble.

I’d like to think such inequality would lead to the working class, rising up and trying to fight for better living conditions, but let’s be honest mainstream media do such a good job of brainwashing people and getting them to shift their attention away from issues which affect their day-to-day life? That’s probably not going to happen. even if you did, technology has advanced to such a state where any such uprising would be swiftly and brutally put down.  

3 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

At least the banks and the governments will be there to protect us! 😮

that’s funny, have you considered a career in comedy?

8 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Too much cinnamon?

I mean, maybe the example was bad, but if you really want to break four eggs to mix and drain off .4 eggs I admire your dedication. Completely unrelated to the pertinent issue regarding AI pancakes though, yeah I would probably consider that to be a little too much cinnamon for that amount. Some people really love cinnamon though and I'd imagine it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most. I'd probably go with a couple teaspoons at most, though.

Actually it might be interesting to see what AI thinks is the perfect tuna noodle casserole, or maybe I'm just posting while I'm hungry again.

50 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I mean, maybe the example was bad, but if you really want to break four eggs to mix and drain off .4 eggs I admire your dedication. Completely unrelated to the pertinent issue regarding AI pancakes though, yeah I would probably consider that to be a little too much cinnamon for that amount. Some people really love cinnamon though and I'd imagine it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most. I'd probably go with a couple teaspoons at most, though.

Actually it might be interesting to see what AI thinks is the perfect tuna noodle casserole, or maybe I'm just posting while I'm hungry again.

I guess it’s confession time then, because I’ve started using AI when I’m running low on ingredients to try and come up with recipes to cook. I just correct the recipe it spits out because I know how to cook

50 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

I guess it’s confession time then, because I’ve started using AI when I’m running low on ingredients to try and come up with recipes to cook. I just correct the recipe it spits out because I know how to cook

I'd imagine that comes in handy (both the cooking and the AI method). I'm not a culinary black belt by any means. My cooking skills don't go far beyond; if we all had to switch to baking our own bread and canning our own fruits and vegetables for the winter I probably wouldn't die... at least until the morlocks come.  but I'm still flabbergasted at the amount of people I know who don't know basic things like how to make biscuits, or a roux, or a bloody baked potato for christs sake.

As far as AI goes, at that point the AI is functioning as a very advanced database and search engine, which you could argue it essentially is. It's worth noting though that finding equivalents and commonly employed substitutes and creating say a whole black forest cake

It still doesn't really strike fear into my beleaguered employed heart for a few reasons, the first being the one I stated earlier. Secondly a job that's "replaced" by AI is far from truly replaced. Even the most alarmist AI videos I've seen, where most people can't reasonably tell the difference between whatever's being generated and the real thing, takes a somewhat guided prompt. If you told an AI to write a full length novel similar to Finnegans Wake (which seems like it would be the perfect novel for AI to imitate) it might very well create something passable, but an AI would never "think" to write a book like that in the first place. Why would it? The ontology of such a thing is self evident.

15 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

The Technology itself is fairly benign ig. At this stage, the problem still lies in the humans behind it, anyway, I’d rather talk about food, at least we all agree. That is a good thing.

Indeed. Every so often I'll cook larger meals for my family. The thing that's always evaded me if we're eating brunch or breakfast is eggs benedict. Two to three people and I do just fine, hollandaise and all, but more than that and I always botch it one way or another. Something about keeping the sauce at a proper consistency while plating always proves too much of a time crunch for more than three people. I realize that's more of a mis en place issue with me, but it's really frustrating because I love eggs benedict.

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The thing that's always evaded me if we're eating brunch or breakfast is eggs benedict. Two to three people and I do just fine, hollandaise and all, but more than that and I always botch it one way or another. Something about keeping the sauce at a proper consistency while plating always proves too much of a time crunch for more than three people. I realize that's more of a mis en place issue with me, but it's really frustrating because I love eggs benedict.

I like to cook but I've never made hollandaise sauce. Or biscuits either for that matter. Not sure where Le Cabbage lays his head but up in the northeast biscuits aren't really a thing. Wouldn't have a clue even as to the ingredients that go into making a biscuit or how you're supposed to cook them. Only time I might come across a biscuit is when they throw one in when you go to KFC but I've always just thrown them away. And I haven't been to KFC in years anyway.

My wife was really big into Eggs Bennie but she'd always get them out, she never tried making it at home. I make my own tex mex version I call eggs pendejo which is poached eggs on an English muffin with chorizo, spinach leaves and crumbled cotija cheese. No hollandaise, I cheat and use Herdez chipotle cremosa out of a jar warmed up in the microwave for 10 seconds. Or I'll sometimes use avocado salsa out of a jar and leave it cold. I wouldn't know how to make hollandaise anyway, I'd have to get a packet. What's in it anyway, egg yolks, lemon juice and something else, right? I actually have half a lemon in the fridge right now, maybe I'll try my hand at it later.

The diner near our old place in MA used to make this awesome dish they called an "Irish Benedict skillet", which was poached eggs and hollandaise, on top of a layer of fried corned beef hash, on top of a layer of hash browns. Everything was made in house so it didn't taste like dog food. I always got it with broccoli. Phenomenal. Not putting in the time to make it at home.

They actually have half decent biscuits up here. Not as good as what you'll find below the Mason-Dixon line, but serviceable. I'm surprised, most northern biscuits suck. I guess we also have a lot of southern transplants here, which might explain the biscuit expertise. And fuckin pop country music is everywhere.

I think I would take no biscuits if it meant that I also got to hear no pop country.

IBS sounds awesome, the skillet you described of course not the disease. Guess I probably shouldn't abbreviate that one anymore. But yeah I reckon anything home made that comes in a skillet is most likely gonna be tasty. I wish American establishments would get the message to stop the madness and just make things from scratch and stop with all the frozen food, but many don't care. I fight with them at the deli when they have lunch specials they always come with fries, and their frozen crinkle cuts are disgusting, they taste like cardboard. So I substitute the store -made macaroni or potato salad (not the pre-packaged ones) and they charge me extra. Why should I have to pay extra because their fries are inedible?

I'm sure there are southerners up here in my neck of the woods somewhere who make authentic biscuits and gravy but I don't like biscuits that much so I don't seek them out. I know my former contractor was from West Virginia and every time he went home to see his dad or his brother in SC he basically lived on biscuits and gravy for the entire time he was down there, because he missed it and he didn't know where to get it up here. He claimed the gas station down the road from his brother's house in Conway SC had b&g to die for and he'd run up there and git him some several times a day.

For any Aussies reading, American biscuits are a savory baked item with a texture somewhere between a scone and a croissant. Denser than a croissant but lighter and fluffier than a scone. We're not talking about Tim Tams. I don't really care for them personally but biscuits are a southern thing, and biscuits & gravy is the breakfast of choice in many southern states and certainly at most truckstops across the south and the entire middle of the country. It's a creamy sausage gravy made from pan drippings with big chunks of sausage in it. I like the gravy when it's on chicken fried steak, just not the biscuits. But I really don't ever eat chicken fried steak anymore because I don't ever find myself in truckstops across the southland. 

Biscuits and Gravy Recipe 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

IBS sounds awesome, the skillet you described of course not the disease. Guess I probably shouldn't abbreviate that one anymore. But yeah I reckon anything home made that comes in a skillet is most likely gonna be tasty. I wish American establishments would get the message to stop the madness and just make things from scratch and stop with all the frozen food, but many don't care. I fight with them at the deli when they have lunch specials they always come with fries, and their frozen crinkle cuts are disgusting, they taste like cardboard. So I substitute the store -made macaroni or potato salad (not the pre-packaged ones) and they charge me extra. Why should I have to pay extra because their fries are inedible?

I'm sure there are southerners up here in my neck of the woods somewhere who make authentic biscuits and gravy but I don't like biscuits that much so I don't seek them out. I know my former contractor was from West Virginia and every time he went home to see his dad or his brother in SC he basically lived on biscuits and gravy for the entire time he was down there, because he missed it and he didn't know where to get it up here. He claimed the gas station down the road from his brother's house in Conway SC had b&g to die for and he'd run up there and git him some several times a day.

For any Aussies reading, American biscuits are a savory baked item with a texture somewhere between a scone and a croissant. Denser than a croissant but lighter and fluffier than a scone. We're not talking about Tim Tams. I don't really care for them personally but biscuits are a southern thing, and biscuits & gravy is the breakfast of choice in many southern states and certainly at most truckstops across the south and the entire middle of the country. It's a creamy sausage gravy made from pan drippings with big chunks of sausage in it. I like the gravy when it's on chicken fried steak, just not the biscuits. But I really don't ever eat chicken fried steak anymore because I don't ever find myself in truckstops across the southland. 

Biscuits and Gravy Recipe 

My sister-in-law is American and when we went over to them (well down to Oxfordshire where she lives now) one year for Xmas she made biscuits and gravy for breakfast and although I cannot remember the taste I do recall it was a pleasant experience and one I vowed to repeat if I ever got chance to.  My favourite breakfast when working in the States a couple of years ago was a burrito with scrambled egg, chorizo, peppers and cheese - I had two I was that smitten.  All made fresh in front of us at the hotel in Orlando as were the omelettes.  My main gripe in the UK is that if you work on the road then you are fucked for a decent breakfast if you don't manage to get something before you leave.

I don't know how folks stomach it but McDonalds always has a huge queue when I drive past and any of the major coffee shops like Starbucks and Costa seem to be able to offer me undercooked bacon or sausage rolls or cheese and ham toasties, for fuck's sake.  Hotels are hit and miss too.  If I am in Dundee up in Scotland then I usually stay at the same place right on the river front as they do a mean poached eggs on sourdough toast with spinach leaves and I have even had American style waffles and bacon a couple of years back which was decent but I have no experience of them in the States to compare them with. 

Most of the hotels I frequent though offer the usual, varying degrees of cooked items for a full English breakfast.  I prefer a full Scottish though as you at least get haggis as well as black pudding, full Irish breakfasts have this weird potato thing going on - like a potato cake (not sweet obvs though).  Just roll out the crumpets guys!

Crumpet | British, Toasted, Teatime | Britannica

As a Yank we've of course heard the phrase "tea and crumpets" ten thousand times but we don't have crumpets here (unless some specialty shop somewhere carries them) so most Yanks don't really know what they are. So when I was down under there I made sure to try some. For whatever reason I'd had it in my head they'd be more like a scone. Grabbed a small package of them from the local Coles and popped a couple of them in Nana's toaster. They're really sort of a mashup of two things we do have over here, english muffins and toaster waffles. The boy who turned 3 during that 5 week trip down under ended up liking them with butter and jam so I kept buying them for him. I don't normally eat a lot of crap like that I'd just wanted to see what a crumpet was. Fortunately no one suggested we put vegemite on them, butter and jam is what I was instructed to put on them. But Nana and her bf being Kiwi ex-pats would probably have told me to use Marmite anyway. 

Yes Macca, I experieced the full Kiwi breakfast on several trips to New Zealand which as far as I can tell is essentialy the same as a full English breakfast. I've adopted both the beans and the blistered tomatoes as part of my own personalized version of a full Goatmaster breakfast which I'll have for my main evening meal sometimes (because I don't eat breakfast or anything during the day besides coffee really, and even that comes somewhere between 2 and 4pm at the earliest usually) just because I love baked beans and opening a can of beans and chucking it in the microwave is so much quicker and easier than making my spicy home fried potatoes.

Never been to the UK but I've noticed in the other 3 countries AUS/NZ/US it seems everyone wants to serve me undercooked bacon. What's up with that? Is it really just that bacon takes a few minutes longer to cook properly than all the rest of the breakfast items and the cooks are impatient? I kinda liked that middle bacon stuff that seemed to be standard in AUS/NZ when you order "bacon" (as long as it's been cooked most of the way) but we don't really have that here. The bacon we Yanks eat is what you guys like to call 'streaky bacon.' But I'm ok with that (if it's not half raw) because it's what I'm used to. 

Not sure I'd even want to try haggis or black pudding/blood sausage though. I'm normally pretty adventurous with food but knowing what's in that shit psychologically I'd never be able to let myself enjoy it.

"A burrito with scrambled egg, chorizo, peppers and cheese" yeah man I could live on these, breakfast burritos are my shit. When I was trucking back in the mid 90's I used to drive many miles out of my way to go through Albuquerque NM because a certain truckstop restaurant out there had an omelette with chorizo on the menu. I can't even eat scrambled eggs without chorizo anymore, and I put peppers and cheese in or on just about everything. I eat my breakfast burrito by putting a forkfull of tomato salsa and a shake or two of hot sauce on every bite. Man I want one of those now. But I have chicken thighs thawed out that I'll need to cook tonight so chorizo & eggs will have to wait. 

Chorizo-Potato Breakfast Burritos Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food  Network

Crumpets aren't crap, they are 99% fat free bro! (actually they are 99% free of everything given all the holes).

What do you consider cooked bacon? Crispy edges, curled up, almost no pink?

Our shortcut bacon doesn't lend itself to being cooked that way, it's also not great for making what one might see as Canadian Bacon. But shortcut bacon is something we've been conditioned to think is 'healthier'. It's changed in the last 5-10 years but we used to have this massive push for people not to eat streaky bacon so shops began selling less of it. For years a lot of streaky bacon was sold here as "cooking bacon", i.e. the stuff you use to add to things like fried rice, or bolognese etc.  But short cut bacon really doesn't cut it. Sure it fits nicely in a burger or a sandwich but that's about all it's good for.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Oh Geez don't bring up crumpets. Some weird fucker here in Australia will surely mention that crumpets and vegemite go together. True psychopaths those people!

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I have been thinking about the crumpet topped with butter and a generous blob of Vegemite I shall be enjoying for breakfast very shortly. I shall post a picture later just to offend the sad fuckers who don't get it.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. I have been thinking about the crumpet topped with butter and a generous blob of Vegemite I shall be enjoying for breakfast very shortly. I shall post a picture later just to offend the sad fuckers who don't get it.

Try just one egg, chorizo, peppers, potato and cheese burrito Doc (with spicy salsa on it) and you'll be wanting to throw that nasty jar of vegemite straight into the bin. A bit too heavy for breakfast though I should think, it's more of a lunch/brunch kinda thing. But Idk I don't ever eat anything in the morning.

This is just nasty, why would anyone want to do this to an innocent unsuspecting crumpet?

Gluten-Free Vegan Crumpets

There's a gas station a mile from my house with a breakfast and lunch grill, and they do a pretty awesome breakfast burrito. I get mine with shaved steak (and eggs and cheese of course) but then I have them load it up with all the veggies and hash browns too. It would be a winner with chorizo too, but it's not on offer. 

On the other hand, being this close to Canada, the poutine around here is so good it might be worth shaving a few years off my life. Pulled pork barbeque on poutine with a couple fried eggs on top... ah man.

Unlike Goatmeister I find early breakfast completely essential. Unlike apparently everyone else here I've never had Vegemite but it kinda sounds like I might like it in the right situation.

7 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

The diner near our old place in MA used to make this awesome dish they called an "Irish Benedict skillet", which was poached eggs and hollandaise, on top of a layer of fried corned beef hash, on top of a layer of hash browns. Everything was made in house so it didn't taste like dog food. I always got it with broccoli. Phenomenal. Not putting in the time to make it at home.

I think I was born with an old soul (or maybe an iodine deficiency) because when I step into a new restaurant and see that the average age of the patrons is above sixty I take it as a good indicator I'm going to enjoy the food there...

...except Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel has this weird inverse principal going on where everything but the food is absolutely miserable. They make you go through their gift shop in case you want to get a souvenir for the people in your life that you hate, there's always somebody's shitty grandkids tear-assing around the whole place and heeding the siren "break me" song of the overpriced rocking chairs out front, the seats and tables were designed by the Spanish inquisition themselves with the express purpose of being as uncomfortable as possible, the entire staff has that "Too long have I lingered in shadow" stare, there's always some ancient mole man still unable to admit he needs a hearing aid screaming at their waiter about how there's not enough salt in all of North America for his food, and God help you if you have to piss because they make you go back through the gift shop to get there, and again to go back. Hell. There is a hell, and it's true name is Cracker Barrel.