What Are You Listening To?

khaos

52 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Mentioning Overkill @GoatmasterGeneral, I saw them last Friday with Heathen and Exhorder. Never been a huge fan, but 1 2 Fuck You they were great. Blitz was definitely working (he's not young anymore) but sounded spot on.

Yeah man Blitz is 64 now and DD's 62, so I don't know how many more years of touring they'll be able to do. Thrash can be a fairly physical genre to play live so I dont know if we'll ever see thrash bands too far into their 70's on stage. I saw them last year in March for the first time in at least a decade and they were still good, but yeah Bobby's starting to show his age now finally. And DD too for that matter, and he's the same age as me and my buddy who were right down front. I know us old guys are supposed to go stand in the back but I can't, I've gotta get right down front for Overkill. I enjoy boosting dudes up who want to crowd surf, which is probably stupid at my age, one of these days I'll likely throw my spine out of whack or something.

I really think they could take Hello From the Gutter and Elimination out of the set now. They've been playing those two forever at every single show as many other tunes kinda get rotated in and out of the set from tour to tour. They're not the best songs though imho so maybe give some other better ones a chance. Rotten to the Core has to stay in though, just wouldn't be right to take that one out. Could live without hearing Fuck You again though if it meant we'd get another actual song. It's gotta be tough to come up with a comprehensive set list when you have 20 albums and you're only gonna play a dozen songs haha.

45 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah man Blitz is 64 now and DD's 62, so I don't know how many more years of touring they'll be able to do. Thrash can be a fairly physical genre to play live so I dont know if we'll ever see thrash bands too far into their 70's on stage. I saw them last year in March for the first time in at least a decade and they were still good, but yeah Bobby's starting to show his age now finally. And DD too for that matter, and he's the same age as me and my buddy who were right down front. I know us old guys are supposed to go stand in the back but I can't, I've gotta get right down front for Overkill. I enjoy boosting dudes up who want to crowd surf, which is probably stupid at my age, one of these days I'll likely throw my spine out of whack or something.

I really think they could take Hello From the Gutter and Elimination out of the set now. They've been playing those two forever at every single show as many other tunes kinda get rotated in and out of the set from tour to tour. They're not the best songs though imho so maybe give some other better ones a chance. Rotten to the Core has to stay in though, just wouldn't be right to take that one out. Could live without hearing Fuck You again though if it meant we'd get another actual song. It's gotta be tough to come up with a comprehensive set list when you have 20 albums and you're only gonna play a dozen songs haha.

They did a pretty decent job covering some new stuff but plenty of old too. I enjoyed hearing the old stuff since I've never seen them before but understand if it's your 20th.

I was happy to see such a great turnout for them. Place was packed. Few weeks ago Voivod came through and while not your cuppa, they're definitely as legendary. Approximately 13 people showed. This place is funny. Overkill had 300+. Hell, I saw Cenotaph (Turkish Brutal DM) on a Tuesday and they had about 100. Squishabugg is coming Friday and I'd fair a good bet they will pack the place out. Most of the crowd around here is under 30. Most of the shows are deathcore, punk, or bands like Goatwhore and Exhorder we've all seen a billion times. So that's why I was pretty surprised about the overkill turnout. Tons of old dudes came out of the coffin just like me for the gig.

Setlist

Listening to loudwires top 50 thrash albums

50. Feed the beast (2008) - Bonded by blood

This can best be described as if exodus decided they wanted to try and be a crossover thrash band and hired a sean killian (from vio-lence) impersonator to provide vocals. It's a fun album i enjoyed my time with it I just don't know if it's top 50 material yet. also the tmnt theme cover is better than it has any right to be.

CBS most played bands according to lastFM 201 - 3000...?

203. None - Damp chill of life  There was a time I was more interested in dsbm. Now it doesn't seem to work anymore.   

204. Satan - Court in the fuck it  

It's pretty windy down in these parts of the list. Better skip this one as it was yesterday 201.

205. Amen corner - Jachol ve tehila

Someone suggested this sounds kind of the same as Samael's early work. I've spinned it a few times, but didn't really catch it.

---

Some real music from today

Top 10 bands I've played today.

Blood chalice (28), Iron monkey (20), Archgoat (17), Hellkrusher (17), Integrity (17), Discharge (16), Graveland (16), Akitsa (12), Hate manifesto (12), Burial hordes (10)

Winner: Blood chalice - Sepulchral Chants of Self-Destruction

32 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

Better skip this one as it was yesterday's 201.

---

Top 10 bands I've played today.

Blood Chalice (28), Iron Monkey (20), Archgoat (17), Hellkrusher (17), Integrity (17), Discharge (16), Graveland (16), Akitsa (12), Hate Manifesto (12), Burial Hordes (10)

Winner: Blood Chalice - Sepulchral Chants of Self-Destruction

Pretty rare to see someone make a post and rattle off 10 bands in a row all of which I like. I agree that Blood Chalice is pretty bangin'. Only the two albums and an 11 minute demo so far but I'm expecting great things from them.

I laughed when you said your 204 was yesterday's 201. With those kinds of low play counts in the teens and 20's every time you play an album it's gonna change everything around. Those Blood Chalice albums have 12 tracks each so every time you play one of them it'll shoot way up in the rankings.

NP: LanzerRath - Metagalactic Domination, riffy black metal from Traverse City Michigan

NP: The Ogre - Aeon Zero

▶︎ Aeon Zero | The Ogre (bandcamp.com)

a2375473285_10.jpg

Self described progressive death/black metal out of Brazil. I don't hear too much progressive about it three tracks in. It's not even particularly techy. What they do have is a nice little niche with modern production values that's as comfortable with the thrash hook centered approach a lot of bands take as it is with the lower slightly more brutal variety of dm. The danger here is possibly alienating fans of both styles

6 hours ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Listening to loudwires top 50 thrash albums

50. Feed the beast (2008) - Bonded by blood

This can best be described as if exodus decided they wanted to try and be a crossover thrash band and hired a sean killian (from vio-lence) impersonator to provide vocals. It's a fun album i enjoyed my time with it I just don't know if it's top 50 material yet. also the tmnt theme cover is better than it has any right to be.

I actually really enjoy this album too but certainly not top 50 thrash of all time (but certainly in top 20 21st century thrash albums).

Singer is much better than Sean Killian who I can't stand.

NP: Malign Hex - Noctambulous Ecstasies

▶︎ Noctambulous Ecstasies | Malign Hex | Canti Eretici (bandcamp.com)

a0539415638_10.jpg

I'm currently at the start of the sixth and final track not counting the outro. Black metal like this always raises questions with me about how I hear and judge it. If we're going the raw route where's the line on what adds to the music and what's simply raw for it's own sake? I think on general principal I'd reject the notion that there was any kind of a time limit or expiration date on when or what's "true" raw black metal or not, but does access to better recording equipment in general factor in. Does it call into question the sincerity with which this sort of thing is made?

One way or the other these guys (or this guy. I haven't really looked into it) really do manage to push the harsh factor in places. It's more than just being the loudest or having the ugliest guitar tone. There's something here in the songwriting that's able to sustain longer songs at the level of external cacophony they achieve. I think I like it.