What Are You Listening To?

khaos

On 5/10/2024 at 11:29 AM, navybsn said:

The 80's were the shit. Definitely my favorite decade so far. 

Today - all Priest all day. Going to see the current tour Sunday night (this weekend is a doozy - Gatecreeper/Creeping Death Saturday, Priest on Sunday, and MDF coming up on Wednesday). So I'm starting with Rocka Rolla and going chronologically through the catalog.

I've never seen Priest even though as you know they are one of my all time favorites. You'll have to let me know if they're worth seeing at this late stage. I have to admit I found watching them inducted in to the Rock and Roll hall of fame as old men depressing as I still think of them as the metal gods from the 80's. 

30 minutes ago, markm said:

I've never seen Priest even though as you know they are one of my all time favorites. You'll have to let me know if they're worth seeing at this late stage. I have to admit I found watching them inducted in to the Rock and Roll hall of fame as old men depressing as I still think of them as the metal gods from the 80's. 

I saw the Priest back in September of 2021, and the show was phenomenal!  A dream come true for me, and the band was on fire.  Rob owned the stage, and Richie and Andy shredded the whole night.  I had my Firepower shirt on and had an absolute blast.

Candlemass - "Death Thy Lover" (EP)

Candlemass - "House of Doom" (EP)

Candlemass - "The Door to Doom"

Such a great album - Johan's voice has definitely changed over the years, but that's to be expected when more than 3 decades pass between releases for a singer!  Finishing up the catalog tomorrow with "Sweet Evil Sun".

Forbidden Evil - The Bloody Birth (2015)

These are demos from 1985 to 1987, when the band was called Forbidden Evil and not yet Forbidden.

It's a little gem for the band fan that I am. My eyes sparkle and my ears twitch 🤩😅

There is a 2015 edition from Mexico City, with 16 titles. Another was released in 2023, from Cyprus, with 11 titles.

I have both 🤘🙃🤘

My0zNDU1LmdpZg.jpeg

I don't just listen to new music from blogs and online hype for recommendations. I get suggestions from the crew here as well. I've been listening to Coffins/Sinister Oath-I like death doom. Still evaluating. This might be a little overdone for my tastes, but it has some novel uber D/D appeal. I like the crust influence. A certain amount of mega overdriven cavernous doom death lacks memorability in songwriting for me, suffering from indistinguishable samey tracks, but I've learned to not trust my first impressions because repeat listens sometimes find nuances in nooks and crannies and sometimes not. This has moderate potential for me. 

Finished my early Opeth listening with Opeth/Still Life as I came in on BWP and my library if full of Opeth albums from BWP Onward. I think I'll pick up a couple of these. So that's

• Orchid
  • Morningside
  • My Arms, Your Hearse
  • Still Life

I'd be curious which albums you guys feel have held up overtime.  I think I'm in on Morningside as it's different than the familiar style with My Arms and Still Life which are clearly very good albums but to my ears fairly similar in style to BWP.

Continuing my James inspired listening to my MDB albums

• My Dying Bride/Feel the Misery
  • My Dying/A Map of all Our Failures

1 hour ago, markm said:

Finished my early Opeth listening with Opeth/Still Life as I came in on BWP and my library if full of Opeth albums from BWP Onward. I think I'll pick up a couple of these. So that's

• Orchid
  • Morningside
  • My Arms, Your Hearse
  • Still Life

I'd be curious which albums you guys feel have held up overtime.  I think I'm in on Morningside as it's different than the familiar style with My Arms and Still Life which are clearly very good albums but to my ears fairly similar in style to BWP.

I think they're all worth having. If I was trying to be objective I'd say Still Life is the "best" - and it's the first one with the full lineup from BWP, since Åkerfeldt had to record bass on My Arms. But they each have a unique atmosphere. The lineup on those first two albums is really cool, love all the high melodic stuff their old bass player did. Orchid in particular has a vibe I've never heard anywhere else. 

What I'm saying is, once you pop, you can't stop.

Desolus - System Shock, not quite death/thrash let's say aggressive thrash from our nation's capitol, Wash DC. PtK vibes.

Barbarian Swords - Fetid, Spanish black/doom. Not too much doom though, the slow parts alternate with some mid-paced parts. This would be an insta-purchase if I had my computer working

3 hours ago, markm said:

• Orchid
  • Morningside
  • My Arms, Your Hearse
  • Still Life

Everyone sleeps on Watershed it seems. I'd say that one has held up better than Ghost Reveries as far as late era Opeth. Yeah, the song Burden is almost the definition of overwrought and unearned dramatics, but aside from that it was very clear at that point that Opeth were heading through prog possibly never to return. It feels to me like the album Akerfeldt wanted to make after spending the better part of Ghost Reveries trying to prove to the fans (and maybe even to Roadrunner even though that label's reputation was utter trash at that point) that they were still a heavy extreme metal band beneath all the prog ornamentation, and the album came out better for it.

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Shaking-Head-Breaking-Bad.gif

I'll second the goats with the mosts reaction here, although probably for different reasons. Over the years I've found that Metallica are perhaps the single largest obstacle when talking to the radio-casual crowd about metal. There's just nothing left to say about them, and hasn't been for a long time. Yet when you say "metal" among the chattering rabble the conversation proceeds immediately toward them. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.00. I get that it was kind of fun talking about Lovecraft in The Thing that Should Not Be (even though the famous quote is taken from fucking Goethe, and not H.P.'s work), but there is seriously nothing left to talk about with them. They've been overexposed for decades now, and remain the most annoyingly tedious topic of the entire genre to have ever been taxidermized and put on display for all the garrulous gawkers to cluck about.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:29 AM, navybsn said:

The 80's were the shit. Definitely my favorite decade so far. 

Today - all Priest all day. Going to see the current tour Sunday night (this weekend is a doozy - Gatecreeper/Creeping Death Saturday, Priest on Sunday, and MDF coming up on Wednesday). So I'm starting with Rocka Rolla and going chronologically through the catalog.

Saw Priest on Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith tours at MLG both great shows  🤘

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Everyone sleeps on Watershed it seems. I'd say that one has held up better than Ghost Reveries as far as late era Opeth. Yeah, the song Burden is almost the definition of overwrought and unearned dramatics, but aside from that it was very clear at that point that Opeth were heading through prog possibly never to return. It feels to me like the album Akerfeldt wanted to make after spending the better part of Ghost Reveries trying to prove to the fans (and maybe even to Roadrunner even though that label's reputation was utter trash at that point) that they were still a heavy extreme metal band beneath all the prog ornamentation, and the album came out better for it.

Tried to like Watershed for years before I gave up on it. I can't get into the songs. It all sounds forced and directionless. Ghost Reveries holds up really well to my ears as a sort of final chapter of what they started with My Arms, Your Hearse. It did take years for that one to click for me as well, so maybe there's hope for Watershed in my collection someday, but I kinda think not. 

7 hours ago, markm said:

I don't just listen to new music from blogs and online hype for recommendations. I get suggestions from the crew here as well. I've been listening to Coffins/Sinister Oath-I like death doom. Still evaluating. This might be a little overdone for my tastes, but it has some novel uber D/D appeal. I like the crust influence. A certain amount of mega overdriven cavernous doom death lacks memorability in songwriting for me, suffering from indistinguishable samey tracks, but I've learned to not trust my first impressions because repeat listens sometimes find nuances in nooks and crannies and sometimes not. This has moderate potential for me. 

• Orchid
  • Morningside
  • My Arms, Your Hearse
  • Still Life

Continuing my James inspired listening to my MDB albums

• My Dying Bride/Feel the Misery
  • My Dying/A Map of all Our Failures

Gotta side with FA here on Still Life. Amazing album and that bass player was my favorite of those that have been in the band. But it's splitting hairs on early Opeth. Everything through Deliverance is so damn good. I thought Ghost Reveries is where it started to trend down, but I do still like that album. In fact, the only one I haven't liked so far is Heritage. I could live without Watershed too, but I don't hate it. One thing I would say is that all the stuff works very well live. Such a tight band. Just picked up tickets to see them again in October.

In other words @markm, you're going to need to just pick up everything before BWP. Don't worry, I promise the money will be well spent.