What Are You Listening To?

khaos

A friend of mine published a Metal cover of Alan Silvestri's Predator theme 3 years ago. It's by Flavien Morel, audio engineer and musician (several instruments). He used to play in the prog/symphonic metal band Benighted Soul.

Here's the video for this Metal version of Predator.

Enjoy!

GamePlayMetal - Predator goes Metal (2020)

Ritual Carnage - The Highest Law (1998)

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

There's a lot of Venom worship in this one. I don't mind it even though it's a bit amateurish compared to even Venom's initial efforts..

Are you claiming that you believe there's a band more amateurish than Venom? I find that hard to believe. I love almost any band that could be said to be Venom worship, except Venom themselves, because they were so fucking bad. Worse than amateurish, they were terrible. But for all I know that terribleness could have been intentional. I've only ever heard their early 80's stuff so who knows, maybe they learned to play at some point later on? But I've always found their early stuff to be unlistenable. I am glad they existed though because like I said I do love most bands I've heard that they've directly influenced. FWIW I'd say Omega is more raw (which is what I look for) but not amateurish because unlike early Venom they're at least in tune and can play their instruments. 

NP: Baphomet's Blood - In Satan We Trust, Italy 2016. The Italian Motörhead. But Satanic. 

Chapel - Satan's Rock 'n' Roll, Vancouver BC 2012. Now you've got me on a whole Venom worship kick. A real crime these dudes never did a follow-up.

Decayed - The Black Metal Flame, Portugal 2008

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Are you claiming that you believe there's a band more amateurish than Venom? I find that hard to believe. I love almost any band that could be said to be Venom worship, except Venom themselves, because they were so fucking bad. Worse than amateurish, they were terrible. But for all I know that terribleness could have been intentional. I've only ever heard their early 80's stuff so who knows, maybe they learned to play at some point later on? But I've always found their early stuff to be unlistenable. I am glad they existed though because like I said I do love most bands I've heard that they've directly influenced. FWIW I'd say Omega is more raw (which is what I look for) but not amateurish because unlike early Venom they're at least in tune and can play their instruments. 

To this day I have never heard an entire Venom record. A while back I looked to see if I could find some early press LPs on eBay. I didn't care quite enough to lay done 50 squid or whatever it was.

The covers of Venom "classics" I have always liked tho'.

My favourite Indiana Jones themed black metal band Sallah did a cover of "Black Metal" on:

Fortune and Glory | Sallah (bandcamp.com)

It was the last track which might be a hidden bonus on the download, because it doesn't seem to be listed on this link.

Also, Slayer did a cover of Witching Hour on the Live Intrusion VHS with half of Machine Head which was probably my favourite track of that set. Being filmed during the Divine Intervention tour, it wasn't a high point.

So, my appreciation of Venom is living vicariously through others.

I did see Mpire of Evil (now Venom, Inc) opening for Obituary years ago. I loved the vibe....but mostly in anticipation of hearing abovementioned tracks being performed live.

I guess Venom is a bit of an Anvil. Allegedly some massive bands were influenced by them, but they never quite had the goods themselves.

2 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

To this day I have never heard an entire Venom record. A while back I looked to see if I could find some early press LPs on eBay. I didn't care quite enough to lay done 50 squid or whatever it was.

The covers of Venom "classics" I have always liked tho'.

My favourite Indiana Jones themed black metal band Sallah did a cover of "Black Metal" on:

Fortune and Glory | Sallah (bandcamp.com)

It was the last track which might be a hidden bonus on the download, because it doesn't seem to be listed on this link.

Also, Slayer did a cover of Witching Hour on the Live Intrusion VHS with half of Machine Head which was probably my favourite track of that set. Being filmed during the Divine Intervention tour, it wasn't a high point.

So, my appreciation of Venom is living vicariously through others.

I did see Mpire of Evil (now Venom, Inc) opening for Obituary years ago. I loved the vibe....but mostly in anticipation of hearing abovementioned tracks being performed live.

I guess Venom is a bit of an Anvil. Allegedly some massive bands were influenced by them, but they never quite had the goods themselves.

Venom were massively influential for extreme metal, particularly black metal, much moreso than Anvil who are largely forgotten. I'd say they're right up there with Sabbath, Motorhead, Celtic Frost and Bathory as bands that inspired people to pick up guitars and form their own bands. You can hardly find an 80's or 90's band from the black and goat metal side of things who doesn't cite Venom as one of a handful of bands that when they heard them they knew that's what they wanted to do.

Because until Venom came along it had never occurred to anybody that music could even go in that direction. It was seen as anti-music at the time, the normies really didn't know what to make of them. First time I heard of them was on the god damned nightly network news, they did a story with a bit of live concert footage (that they talked over) about the Venom craze in the UK because it was so shocking and confusing to normies who were scratching their heads at how these evil Satanist characters who were making such an unholy racket could have kids lining up around the block to see them. People were concerned. And then of course in the 80's we had the full blown Satanic panic here in the States. This was only a few years after the late 70's punk craze in the UK had made the US nightly news so they could show us kids with spiked hair leather jackets and safety pins through their faces.

I bought Venom's goat head album used for a couple of bucks just to hear it for myself and I remember we put it on and just couldn't stop laughing at how bad it was. Then I traded it right back in to the used record store next time we went. The only Venom songs I can remember how they go though are Countess Bathory and Welcome to Hell, and even those are just the choruses. I think Black Metal rings a bell but I'm drawing a blank on Witching Hour.