What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: The Human Race Is Filth (THRIF) - Cognitive Dissonance

▶︎ Cognitive Dissonance | The Human Race Is Filth (bandcamp.com)

a3746740959_10.jpg

The color palette on the cover is reminding me of that artist who was all over the place a few years back. He did covers for Pig Destroyer and Mastodon and something like three or four Baroness albums. Honestly Relapse could have almost called him their in house artist for a bit given how much work he did for them. The actual subject of the cover here though is much more fitting for the music, though. It seems this group have only been making music since 2017, but they've already got a pretty good compilation of their two demos put together, and this one is their first full length.

The songs are at their best when they choose to just unleash and blast at full speed, but there's a pretty sizable mid-paced sludge element here that does serve a purpose, but also keeps them from just going balls to the wall with the crusty grindy stuff. I might have to revisit this in a few days to see if it still hits me. Even just taken on it's own merits though, I am enjoying it.

24 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

The color palette on the cover is reminding me of that artist who was all over the place a few years back. He did covers for Pig Destroyer and Mastodon and something like three or four Baroness albums.

That's actually the Baroness guitarist/vocalist, John Baizley. Not a fan of the band but his artwork is killer. (No clue who did this cover art BTW)

On 9/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

I would just like to say for the record that I think this band gets shat on way too much and their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th albums are phenomenal.

Only stuff they ever did that I personally thought was worth a damn was their early death metal demos.

NP: Feldgrau - In Stahlgewittern

Black metal about WWI...music is pretty good, but I'm not sure about the vocals. Think they may be a bit too forward in the mix or something...still, this definitely has potential.

https://feldgrau-official.bandcamp.com/album/in-stahlgewittern

a2663855672_10.jpg

25 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Currently sitting in Denver inspecting the metal+beer scene for science and shit. Local crust band on tap along with a nice American Red.

Denver can be a fun town. It's been ages since I visited, but I remember being surprised how walkable it was for a city of that size. The beer and food scene was definitely on point, and there's almost always some sort of smaller show going on somewhere. Even if it's not necessarily metal you should be able to find something interesting playing around wherever you're at. Also, even though it's almost always a good idea to try and not look like a mark or a tourist in any city, the places you're far more likely to get singled out and mistreated as a tourist are the smaller towns in the mountains. It's kind of hard to blame them too much though since they catch the brunt of the hippie overflow from Denver. If anybody's rude or curt with you, just assume they think you're part of that and don't be confrontational.

NP: Age of Agony - For the Forgotten

▶︎ For the Forgotten | AGE OF AGONY | Neverheard Distro (bandcamp.com)

a2524068990_10.jpg

For a band that's only been making music since 2002, it's pretty bold to claim the title of "oldest still active Hungarian Death Metal". Whatever the case this album is a good example of how it sometimes matters a lot less how hard your material connects as long as you connect often enough. This material isn't going faster, harder, or heavier than other albums, but since it's riff-centric death metal nearly every riff on the album lands with some damage, and I might just start this one over once the whole album's been played. Recommended.

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Denver can be a fun town. It's been ages since I visited, but I remember being surprised how walkable it was for a city of that size. The beer and food scene was definitely on point, and there's almost always some sort of smaller show going on somewhere. Even if it's not necessarily metal you should be able to find something interesting playing around wherever you're at. Also, even though it's almost always a good idea to try and not look like a mark or a tourist in any city, the places you're far more likely to get singled out and mistreated as a tourist are the smaller towns in the mountains. It's kind of hard to blame them too much though since they catch the brunt of the hippie overflow from Denver. If anybody's rude or curt with you, just assume they think you're part of that and don't be confrontational.

NP: Age of Agony - For the Forgotten

▶︎ For the Forgotten | AGE OF AGONY | Neverheard Distro (bandcamp.com)

a2524068990_10.jpg

For a band that's only been making music since 2002, it's pretty bold to claim the title of "oldest still active Hungarian Death Metal". Whatever the case this album is a good example of how it sometimes matters a lot less how hard your material connects as long as you connect often enough. This material isn't going faster, harder, or heavier than other albums, but since it's riff-centric death metal nearly every riff on the album lands with some damage, and I might just start this one over once the whole album's been played. Recommended.

Yeah man, I'm a pretty laid back dude. I've traveled all over, and I promise no group can be more hostile than SoCal surfer communities. Music scenes are all pretty chill. You'll get the usual test of "what stuff are you into?", but I'm into enough shit and been around long enough to deftly navigate that. Denver is one of the more chill places I've ever been. Great beer, good food, and definitely walkable.

So far I've got TRVE Brewing, Great Divide, Our Mutual Friend, Ratio, and currently sitting at Black Sky Brewing. Might hit the Brutal Poodle next if I don't head back to TRVE.

NP overhead: Immortal - Pure Holocaust 

NP: Master of Cruelty - Monument of the Forsaken

▶︎ Monument of the forsaken | Master of Cruelty | Deathrash Armageddon (bandcamp.com)

a2990961992_10.jpg

Damn. This one almost slipped by me. I'm not super keen on the production sound, but other than that I like just about everything about this. It's nothing stupidly avant-garde or anything like that, but it is really hitting the spot with me right now. If you want some meat and potatoes blackened death I'd say give this a go. I actually like it more than some of the other bigger dm albums this year.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Yeah man, I'm a pretty laid back dude. I've traveled all over, and I promise no group can be more hostile than SoCal surfer communities. Music scenes are all pretty chill. You'll get the usual test of "what stuff are you into?", but I'm into enough shit and been around long enough to deftly navigate that. Denver is one of the more chill places I've ever been. Great beer, good food, and definitely walkable.

So far I've got TRVE Brewing, Great Divide, Our Mutual Friend, Ratio, and currently sitting at Black Sky Brewing. Might hit the Brutal Poodle next if I don't head back to TRVE.

NP overhead: Immortal - Pure Fucking Armageddon 

You gotta come to VT. I had a pretty awesome weekend last month where I met up with friends at Schilling (right across the NH border) and then the next day we drove to Hill Farmstead. Very spread out but more amazing beer than you can shake a stick at. The Alchemist was also a really fun day trip, legendary.

NP: Enslaved - Heimdal

39 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

You gotta come to VT. I had a pretty awesome weekend last month where I met up with friends at Schilling (right across the NH border) and then the next day we drove to Hill Farmstead. Very spread out but more amazing beer than you can shake a stick at. The Alchemist was also a really fun day trip, legendary.

Definitely on the bucket list. Just have to find an excuse to get up there. Work sent me to Orlando, Minneapolis, and Denver so far in 2023. If I can't get them to send me to the NE next year, maybe a vacation is in order. Denver slightly edges out Minneapolis as my favorite new spots in the US. Asheville might be the only place I've liked better. I like mountains green and I have friends there, so it will always have the edge, but I could do time out here.

And I went to Woods Boss instead of Brutal Poodle. Totally not metal but a good kinda chill.

34 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Gehenna - Seen Through the Veil of Darkness (the Second Spell)

So which spell are you leaning towards Blivvie, 2nd or 3rd? I think I'd have to go with the 2nd spell as being better despite the higher rate of synthiness. Although it doesn't rise to the level of inclusion among my top 100 back metal albums. Listening to it now, it's been awhile.

4 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I stayed over there in NH by Franconia Notch SP and Mt Lafayette one time maybe 15 years back, and I was amazed by how many really cool little restaurants n shit they had out there seemingly in the middle of nowhere. We were there off-season, late October just using up one of my parents' plethora of time share weeks that they had accumulated and were always begging us to take after they had basically stopped using them by the 2000's. Misjudged the timing though, I forgot leaf peeping seasons starts and ends a lot earlier up there than it does down here so by late Oct we had completey missed it and it was a ghost town. I bet it's probably hopping with activity in the summer or during ski season. Glad you were able to get out and about and relax a bit. 

NP: Skull - Death and Metal, Tauranga NZ

30 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Tomb Mold - The Enduring Spirit

Much cleaner sounding and far more tech/prog death vibes now.  Sounds even more proggy than Blood Incantation's Hidden History of the Human Race.

Thanks for the warning, now I can safely skip it. 

38 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So which spell are you leaning towards Blivvie, 2nd or 3rd? I think I'd have to go with the 2nd spell as being better despite the higher rate of synthiness. Although it doesn't rise to the level of inclusion among my top 100 back metal albums. Listening to it now, it's been awhile.

I lean more towards the third. Actually, I don’t know whether or not, it will make the final cut, I’m still working through all my BM to settle on one album from each band, like I’ve said previously, there’s a couple of exceptions to that rule but if I let myself choose multiple albums from some of my favourite bands in the genre half my list will be taken up by 5 artists

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Thanks for the warning, now I can safely skip it. 

I actually lost interest.  It gets way too meandering.

Anthrax - Persistence Of Time

Earth Crisis - All Out War

Earth Crisis - Breed The Killers

Entombed - Wolverine Blues

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast