What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Weald and Woe - For the Good of the Realm

▶︎ For The Good of The Realm | Weald and Woe (bandcamp.com)

a2318900539_10.jpg

Much better. Feels like it's been a few days since I found anything worth recommending. Don't know about having a seamstress as the center of your cover art (maybe it's for those weirdos who like to ruin perfectly good leather jackets with band patches), but the music's good. The tonal side might get a little too close to ren-fair metal for some, but there's more than enough going on here that it comes by it's melodic sensibilities earnestly.

8 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

NP: Weald and Woe - For the Good of the Realm

a2318900539_10.jpg

Much better. Feels like it's been a few days since I found anything worth recommending. Don't know about having a seamstress as the center of your cover art (maybe it's for those weirdos who like to ruin perfectly good leather jackets with band patches), but the music's good. The tonal side might get a little too close to ren-fair metal for some, but there's more than enough going on here that it comes by it's melodic sensibilities earnestly.

I think the cover's great. I want to know what she's thinking about. I love this trend of using what looks like these old paintings of people born hundreds or thousands of years before extreme metal or even indoor plumbing existed as album covers. Somehow the old-fashioned medieval covers lend some weight to the proceedings. That said I see Ren Faire and I run the other way as fast as I can.

Bandcamp Friday and the new CoO album dropped. Can't get enough of these guys. This one is back to a more black metal sound vs. the previous run of more psychedelic records. Will be a purchase and launches in the Navy top 10. No way this record doesn't end up in the EOTY list.

Circle of Ouroborus - Lumi Vaientaa Kysymykset

4 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Sadistic Intent

Saw them a few times. Great band. Also saw them once as a backing band for Possessed and a few of them playing in Suffocation. Cool dudes too. Very appreciative of old fuckers like us even remembering who they are. They keep promising a full length, but we'll see.

49 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I had a listen a couple-a weeks ago after I'd said I woudn't, because I don't fucking like this prog wanker band. But there it was just sitting there quietly on the YT sidebar, the new Horrendous with its red skulls cover. No matter what Youtube video I clicked on there was Horrendous just patiently awaiting its turn in the sidebar grinning its sinister grin. No, fuck them, I can't stand these assholes. Yet the demo was so incredibly fucking good I keep hoping they'll come to their senses, decided to shit can the prog nonsense and maybe play some death metal again for a change. Stranger things have happened and I know they have it in them.

Not gonna be buying it, there's no chance of that happening let's get that straight. It's still prog nonsense rife with wankery and tom-foolery. I'd just as soon leave it sitting in Crewe Station waiting for the next train to Liverpool that won't ever be coming. But I will say parts of this new one are the closest they've come to straight forward death metal, therefore making it the most listenable thing they've done since the demo for me. Now I see you say it's a step forward. So what does that mean? Are you saying they've gone so far forward that they've come 'round back to the start again? It's either that or my tolerance for prog is growing, and I don't see much chance of that ever happening.

It's on Season of Mist, what'd you do order the vinyl?

Oh goodness no. I'd never get something like this on vinyl. Strict bandcamp app purchase only like practically everything I get.  I think I'd only buy something on vinyl if it were vaguely suitable to play on the public stereo 30 feet away in the other room and/or if the artwork was so amazing and intricate you could get lost in it for days. Kind of like Patatrac when I was 4 years old (Patatrac by Jean jaques Loup | Oxfam Shop).

By "step forward" I simply mean my warming to Horrendous. It must be progress, because I wasn't that enamoured with the last few but I like this one. And it's not because I am not open to death-prog wankery but some things bite and some don't. Like I still listen to that ridiculous The Cure meets Maiden band I flagged a few months ago. It makes no sense, but it works for me.

I never heard the Horrendous demo, will check it oot. Coincidentally, Damian from Horrendous mixed a re-recorded version of the original Blood Incantation EP and that sounds great. 

Last night I was on the Manchester bound train via Crewe and had to sit on the floor by the door, but at least it left on time.  It was a rare day in the London office for me.

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I think the cover's great. I want to know what she's thinking about. I love this trend of using what looks like these old paintings of people born hundreds or thousands of years before extreme metal or even indoor plumbing existed as album covers. Somehow the old-fashioned medieval covers lend some weight to the proceedings. That said I see Ren Faire and I run the other way as fast as I can.

I was taken on more than a few field trips to ren fairs as a lad, and they were usually fairly enjoyable if not exactly as educational as maybe the teacher supposed. Weald and Woe don't really get that deep into it either. They just take a small touch here or there for their melodic template which remains firmly rooted in black metal for the most part. The vocals are all harsh and a bit on the higher end so they avoid the drama student syndrome that proves very dangerous for similar bands. Still it's present enough that I thought a warning might be prudent. I enjoyed it for myself, and would recommend maybe a quick sampling for those unsure.

NP: Reverence to Paroxysm - Lux Morte

▶︎ Lux Morte | Reverence to Paroxysm | Me Saco Un Ojo Records (bandcamp.com)

a2462173349_10.jpg

Death metal that doesn't stomp about so much as it crawls on it's belly. Ugly stuff for sure. Like something slid out from the primordial ooze whose evolutionary relationship to yourself might cause you a crisis of faith. I like it. Big grumbling fuzzy chords and riffs aplenty that just devour the whole sonic space the album exists in. Statement made and made emphatically.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

It is kind of genius using out of copyright artwork. This one is apparently: “Stitching The Standard” by Edmund Blair Leighton (1911).

Although you also can't stop someone else using the same artwork as you...but it will look cool in the meantime.

Bouncing around bandcamp and found:

1992-1994 Discography Digital download | Timeghoul (bandcamp.com)

...because it was associated with that Blood Incantation EP. 

Vocals jump out a bit too much when they kick in, but pretty filthy music. 

And another:

Testimony of the abominable | Balmog (bandcamp.com)

Bought without listening as it has been a few months since I got a Balmog and they have a 100% strike rate.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

Bouncing around bandcamp and found:

1992-1994 Discography Digital download | Timeghoul (bandcamp.com)

...because it was associated with that Blood Incantation EP. 

Good stuff. Scolex is another BI associated band. I believe the lead guitar/vocalist (Paul Reidi) plays with them live at least

Black Pyramid Ritual | Scolex (bandcamp.com)

Liked that Wead & Woe. I'll probably pick that up today.

NP: Sun of Man - IV

IV | Sun of Man (bandcamp.com)

8 hours ago, navybsn said:

Scolex is another BI associated band. I believe the lead guitar/vocalist (Paul Reidi) plays with them live at least

Surprised...I'd thought they'd broken up, but apparently they are still considered active. Bass player is in several killer bands as well (Acephalix, Chthonic Deity - which also has Reidi, and Mortuous)