What Are You Listening To?

khaos

NP: Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold

Towers of Gold | Sacred Outcry (bandcamp.com)

a4002294437_10.jpg

So I've been seeing this one all over the internet this week. I finally said 'Fine, I'll listen to your silly little power metal album. I guarantee it's not on the level of Lost Horizon, though. Hell it's probably not even on Keeper of the Seven Keys level.' Best I was hoping for was some of Gamma Ray's cooler moments...

...My God. It's actually legit on Lost Horizon levels. What the hell Greece?! Where have you been stowing power metal this good?

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

First impression: clearly the trick here will be to get past these awful warbly vocals.

The vocals are what they are and really suit the music I think. They are sarcastic. And this music is  - in a subtle and engaging way - highly dissonant.

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF GRAVES - Shrines To Dagon. Listened to the whole album. Yep.

AKERCOCKE - Decades OF Devil Worship. Again. This is a really good set. And the audience tells me the band name is pronounced AkerCOCK. What's that fucking e doing at the end then.

SCOTT WALKER & SUNN O))) - Soused. This is progressive.

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The vocals are what they are and really suit the music I think. They are sarcastic. And this music is  - in a subtle and engaging way - highly dissonant.

AKERCOCKE - Decades OF Devil Worship. Again. This is a really good set. And the audience tells me the band name is pronounced AkerCOCK. What's that fucking e doing at the end then.

Re: Virus - The Black Flux. I didn't hate it at all, except for the crickets in the middle. I can hear that outside if I want. In fact I'd even say I liked the album in spots. Only the vocals were a bit of a problem, but I got used to them after a bit. There was heaps of dissonance, but they managed to keet things musical mostly. Just some weird out of place notes he chose, but it wasn't just a bunch random conflicting noises, I could still follow along with it.

Re: Akercocke, really? Never been a fan, but I swear I thought the correct pronounciation was Aker - cockie. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Re: Virus - The Black Flux. I didn't hate it at all, except for the crickets in the middle. I can hear that outside if I want. In fact I'd even say I liked the album in spots. Only the vocals were a bit of a problem, but I got used to them after a bit. There was heaps of dissonance, but they managed to keet things musical mostly. Just some weird out of place notes he chose, but it wasn't just a bunch random conflicting noises, I could still follow along with it.

Re: Akercocke, really? Never been a fan, but I swear I thought the correct pronounciation was Aker - cockie. 

Did you ever listen to Ved Buens Ende? They were the precursor to the Virus stuff. Sort of "experimental" or "avant-garde" black metal. I wouldn't pick it as your flavor but who knows. I love their full length, Written In Waters, but I have to say I think the "black metal" sections are the weak spots. Maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the harsh vocals, I'm just always kind of unconvinced and wish they'd go back to the stuff that sounds more like Virus. I think that's also the only reason Virus gets a "metal" tag, they're a rock band to my ears, they just have a metal connection. 

Testament - Titans of Creation

Save maybe Sodom, Testament are the only old school thrash metal album that can still knock up a kick arse album in my opinion (sorry Overkill but too stuck in Ironbound, though new album was an improvement).

Also note even as a Megadeth fanboy my rationale sense knows they're not releasing kick arse albums.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I thought it was Aker -coke (as in a form of coal). Cock is much more fun.

40 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

I'm just always kind of unconvinced and wish they'd go back to the stuff that sounds more like Virus. I think that's also the only reason Virus gets a "metal" tag, they're a rock band to my ears, they just have a metal connection. 

Yep, I've heard the album but I can't say I'm familiar with it. And I never saw Virus as metal band either. Labels, eh. What would splitters like the GG do without them, but in the end it's all music to me.

2 hours ago, FatherAlabaster said:

Did you ever listen to Ved Buens Ende? They were the precursor to the Virus stuff. Sort of "experimental" or "avant-garde" black metal. I wouldn't pick it as your flavor but who knows. I love their full length, Written In Waters, but I have to say I think the "black metal" sections are the weak spots. Maybe it's the sound, maybe it's the harsh vocals, I'm just always kind of unconvinced and wish they'd go back to the stuff that sounds more like Virus. I think that's also the only reason Virus gets a "metal" tag, they're a rock band to my ears, they just have a metal connection. 

I've heard of them, but no I haven't really listened to them before. But I have now. I didn't make it the whole 57 minutes. I could have it wasn't offensive or anything, I just wasn't enjoying it. I bailed after about 22 mins although it seemed a lot longer. Sometimes experiments are not successful. I liked the Virus album better than this. Avant-garde's always gonna be a long-shot with me, but thanks for trying.

TMA - Kysucký Chlad, Slovakia. My idea of experimental would be more like this.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Cock is much more fun.

Just gonna let that one sit out there by itself. There's nothing I really need to add to that.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Save maybe Sodom, Testament are the only old school thrash metal album that can still knock up a kick arse album in my opinion (sorry Overkill but too stuck in Ironbound, though new album was an improvement).

Also note even as a Megadeth fanboy my rationale sense knows they're not releasing kick arse albums.

Chuck's voice is gone. I don't think this newer Testament songwriting is as good as you think it is. I mean there was a time I really liked Testament, but Formation was better than this one and that record kinda sucked. 

I do think maybe you need to listen to some of the newer Overkill albums a little closer. Particularly Wings of War and Electric Age. They're no Horrorscope or Taking Over but they're lot better than Ironbound, and a lot better than this. Which is not to say I think this is terrible, I thought that Ishtar's Gate song was pretty good. And it's still a lot better and more listenable than contemporary Megadeth or what any of the 'big 4' or any other 80's bay area bands I can think of are doing. I guess it's roughly on par with Exodus, but I haven't heard but a few seconds of their latest. I think for many of us it really comes down to which vocalist we prefer. In his prime Chuck Billy was better than all of them. Now I think Blitz is the only one who still has 'it' and he's the oldest one out of all of them at 64.

CBS most played bands according to lastFM 201 - 3000…?

No point in going forward. The list keeps changing too rapidly. But here's one nice picking from the pile.

Archspire. Another band my brother loves a lot and I hate my guts out of it. They should launch that band along with that prog-space shuttle. Might give some speed to save a few hours from that long journey, he he.

---

Yesterday's most played artists. 

Clandestine blaze (30)

Behexen (20)

Incantation (20)

Deströyer 666 (18)

Cadaveric incubator (17)

Doom (16)

Repulsion (14)

Revenge (11)

Goatsblood (8) Sludge

Sick urge (8) hardcore/powerviolence

--

Currently listening some experimental bm aswell

Anubi - Mirties metafora, Lithuania

5 hours ago, Dead1 said:

"Titans of Creation" is phenomenal!  It's my second favorite Testament album of them all, only behind "The Gathering".

While Overkill is my favorite thrash band of all time, and I've loved every second of every album beginning with "Ironbound" and extending up through "Scorched" (in terms of their modern output), Testament's latest offering (as of right now) is pure genius.  Not better than Overkill, but still very good.

Chuck is still going strong these days, and I can't wait to see how they follow up "Titans of Creation".  Each of these last 4 albums now has been fantastic.  

Interesting to see Ironbound get ragged on a little. I always viewed that one as being one of their strongest among their new output.

Testament is a band I'm always pulling for. They've come so close to putting out something on par with their classics a couple of times now and it always feels like something different is missing. I can tell you who I'd rather see hang it up though: Kreator. I can't recall the last time I was even halfway excited for a new album. I think the last one I really had a go at was Phantom Antichrist, and listening to that was like getting a blowjob from an old lady with dentures: plastic and toothless. I don't really trust Destruction to come back in any meaningful way. I'd put my money Sadus could get it together to put out one more beast of an album even if Out For Blood was a hot mess. Maybe Tankard, Heathen, Exhorder, or Sanctuary, but now I'm just namedropping hoping somebody returns to form.

NP: Master - Master

▶︎ Master | Master (bandcamp.com)

a0580530719_10.jpg

...And speaking of.

Listening to loudwires 50 best thrash albums 

48. Forward to termination (1987) - sacrifice 

add this album to the "underrated band from Canada who made one of the best albums in the genre that's sadly overlooked" pile. also, I want to point out the minor typo where they say the album is from 1985, they correct it in the paragraph where they talk about the album but I thought I would mention it anyway.