What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Ah shit, the young Cum Blaster has claimed Nefarious Dismal Orations for himself, one of my top two black metal albums of all time. In the immortal words of Impaled Nazarene: Do you want fucking war? Yes we want fucking war!

Oof, must have hurt. One of the best bands absolutely. One friend showed me his Inquisition vinyls and when I saw this album I said oh no, hou fucked it up, because he had bought the reissues with the different cover art. I didn't know shit about the band when I picked this album from the store. The cover was so inviting.

Can't blame you, mr. GGen. What a band, what an album. Saw them once again last year. This time it was back to raw performance and eerie fog and lights. I remember few years before there was some odd effects to Dagon's voice.

That war would turn out nasty!

---

Riding on!

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

71. Purtenance - Member of Immortal Damnation

70. The Black - The black priest of satan

69. Krohm - Slayer of Lost Martyrs

68. Neurosis - Souls at zero

67. Cenotaph - The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows

49 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

Oof, must have hurt. One of the best bands absolutely. One friend showed me his Inquisition vinyls and when I saw this album I said oh no, you fucked it up, because he had bought the reissues with the different cover art. I didn't know shit about the band when I picked this album from the store. The cover was so inviting.

Can't blame you, Mr. GGen. What a band, what an album. Saw them once again last year. This time it was back to raw performance and eerie fog and lights. I remember few years before there was some odd effects to Dagon's voice.

69. Krohm - Slayer of Lost Martyrs

Nah, didn't hurt too bad. They don't have any bad albums so I have more than enough worthy contenders to pick from when the time comes. I've been fortunate to have been able to see them live 4 times, each one more awesome than the last.

You posted one I don't know, Krohm, so I looked them up and wouldn't you know it turns out they're from right here in my own backyard in Connecticut! Mr. Turku lives in the black metal capitol of the world and he's searching for bands from Connecticut. Gotta love it.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

70. Stillborn - Testimonio de Bautismo, Poland

69. P.L.F. - Jackhammering Deathblow of Nightmarish Trepidation, Houston TX  (406)

16 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

84. Rippikoulu - Musta seremonia

One of my bad habits as a music fan is tending to skip over a band if I see they don't have any full lengths. I think search functions on various sites have led me to not waste my time haunting the bowels of the internet from 1990 that never ended up on a full length. It saves me time, but with black metal it can be really frustrating just because there's so many 'essential' black metal demos out there. This is death metal, though, it would seem and pretty heavy for the time it was made, and it seems to be positively reviewed by almost anyone who's heard it. See, this is the type of stuff I end up missing. Too bad they never made a full length though.

18 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

This is death metal, though, it would seem and pretty heavy for the time it was made, and it seems to be positively reviewed by almost anyone who's heard it. See, this is the type of stuff I end up missing. Too bad they never made a full length though.

It's pretty much a full length in everything but name. 

It really depends on the scene, but for the 90's Finnish death metal it's kind of mandatory to start going through the demos and EPs because it's not a huge number of bands, and a lot of the best ones never got past the demo stage

AGRICULTURE - Agriculture. What a terrible band and album name. Still, it's a pretty good BM album (fuck you in anticipation GG) except for one song sung in a weedy clean voice.

OUTER HEAVEN - Infinite Psychic Depths

NP - MIDORI TAKADA - Tree Of Life

This is a squoggle free zone.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

AGRICULTURE - Agriculture. What a terrible band and album name. Still, it's a pretty good BM album (fuck you in anticipation GG) except for one song sung in a weedy clean voice.

Best fuckin' band name ever.  

I hope their song titles are named after agricultural practices such as "Crop Rotation" or "Drip Irrigation" or "Conservation Tillage."  Farming is totally fucking necro kvlt cause Vikings were farmers.

Oh and GG would approve as he is fan of "Back Metal" and it's new offshoot "Lumbar Metal" for metallers who want good spine health.

Pearl Jam - Vs.

Yes I know they jumped the fucking shark and became corporate rock, but first two Pearl Jam albums are fantastic hard rock albums.

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You posted one I don't know, Krohm, so I looked them up and wouldn't you know it turns out they're from right here in my own backyard in Connecticut! Mr. Turku lives in the black metal capitol of the world and he's searching for bands from Connecticut. Gotta love it.

I didn't have to search Krohm. One american dude talked about it to me on facebook few years back. Then I found out it's the project of Dario Derna who has also played drums in Infester and keyboards in Evoken. I have mostly listened to the compilation of the first two demos. Anyone who passes some of the modern stuff as atmospheric should take a listen.

Haha, yes everyone says Finland has the best black metal. Guess I'm so used to the scene by this point I'm more interested in foreign sounds.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

One of my bad habits as a music fan is tending to skip over a band if I see they don't have any full lengths. I think search functions on various sites have led me to not waste my time haunting the bowels of the internet from 1990 that never ended up on a full length. It saves me time, but with black metal it can be really frustrating just because there's so many 'essential' black metal demos out there. This is death metal, though, it would seem and pretty heavy for the time it was made, and it seems to be positively reviewed by almost anyone who's heard it. See, this is the type of stuff I end up missing. Too bad they never made a full length though.

This was impossible to miss when it was reissued in 2010, I think. Lot of finnish websites reviewed it and hyped it. I was myself discovering a lot of death/doom myself at the time so it had to be picked up. Apparently the hype was big enough for them to regroup few years later and now they even play live. The original main member died in car accident back in the 90's so that's what broke them apart back then.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

66. Sarcofago - Inri

65. Paradise lost - Lost paradise

64. Marduk - Opus nocturne

63. Sepultura - Morbid visions

62. Blasphemy - Fallen angel of doom

38 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

The original main member died in car accident back in the 90's so that's what broke them apart

Man. Between that, the drummer from Decapitated, the guy from Woods of Ypres, and a ton of others it feels like there's an unusual amount of metal musicians that die that way. I guess it makes sense we'd have trouble with anything mobile since we're all stuck in the eighties.

... Okay even I'm a little ashamed of that one.

For real the guy that gave me my first driver's test was a dick, though. I was told it was easier to get the test out in the country. Man, that dude took one look at me, figured out I didn't actually live out there, and decided he was going to fuck my day up. I got docked for putting on my seatbelt too early. The fuck?

NP: Unpure - Prophecies Ablaze

▶︎ Prophecies Ablaze | Unpure | Invictus Productions (bandcamp.com)

a2820272293_10.jpg

I'd seen some inscrutable bm band logos before, but an entire cover photo? Come on guys. Fun music though. Apparently they've got one of the Watain guitarists on this one which might be where the heightened energy is coming from.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

Mr Turku has caught up and even passed me now. I missed my chance to pull ahead while he was sleeping, now he's up again raring to go and posting 5 at a time. Now it's really gonna be a race to the bottom. I should probably let him win, that would be the courteous thing to do, this was all his idea and he is the new guy here. I've never been on a forum with anyone before who had such similar taste in music to my own. I own almost every album he's posted. This never happens, I must be dreaming.

64. Deströyer 666 - Defiance

63. Desaster - Hellfire´s Dominion, Germany   (428)

2 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Pearl Jam - Ten 

Yeah sometimes I just feel the need to grunge out.

Can't tolerate any PJ, but #10 Mookie Blaylock!!

6 hours ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

Senile Showdown | Dementia Fight Club

COG005 - Roots | Saor | COG Recordings

Every time I scroll past this Senile Showdown I bust out laughing. More album covers like this please.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

OUTER HEAVEN - Infinite Psychic Depths

NP - MIDORI TAKADA - Tree of Life

I saw that Agriculture somewhere in my travels earlier today and I thought to myself "I'm not clicking on a band called fucking Agriculture." Now you're telling me they're not even black metal without coming right out and telling me? Looks like my intuition paid off. But what pray tell is a "weedy" clean voice?

Thought that Outer Heaven was sweet as though, what'd you think?

And fuck your Tree of Life. You rag on my Lynyrd Skynyrd, perfectly delightful 3-guitar southern blues rock and then the very next day you turn around and post this pre-schooler xylophone nonsense?? Should be ashamed of yourself. Is this roughly what your new Bandcamp music is gonna sound like?

Suffer in yer squoggles.

3 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Zeke - Kicked In The Teeth

Cover posted by GG looked interesting enough.

Pure adrenaline punk rock. 18 songs in 21 minutes. Gotta love Zeke.

NP: Oromet - s/t

▶︎ OROMET | OROMET | Transylvanian Recordings (bandcamp.com)

a3615017448_10.jpg

Doom. Funeral doom. Good funeral doom. I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I'd say anything that can hold my attention for longer than Aldebaran (so thirty seconds) is probably pretty decent. I'll give them props for keeping the ambience/atmospheric effects to a minimum until the song has pretty well earned them.

Okay maybe this outro is still too long. Good lord guys it's been a twenty minute song. Wrap it up.

2 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Oromet - S/T

Doom. Funeral doom. Good funeral doom. I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I'd say anything that can hold my attention for longer than Aldebaran (so thirty seconds) is probably pretty decent. I'll give them props for keeping the ambience/atmospheric effects to a minimum until the song has pretty well earned them.

Okay maybe this outro is still too long. Good lord guys it's been a twenty minute song. Wrap it up.

A dude I used to post with years ago who was largely unfamiliar with funeraal doom went to an Evoken show in Connecticut one time, or maybe he drove up to Boston I'm not sure. But he said during the breaks between all the songs he yelled out "Play faster!!" which got a good laugh from all in attendance. The band probably didn't appreciate it too much though.

53 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

This never happens, I must be dreaming.

You are.

30 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Is this roughly what your new Bandcamp music is gonna sound like?

No. There is also erhu on this album. I can't do erhu.

Now you're telling me they're not even black metal without coming right out and telling me? Looks like my intuition paid off. But what pray tell is a "weedy" clean voice?

Ok. No more heads-up for you. This is BM. I was just having a lend of you. It is BM despite the 'orrible band name. It is BM except for that song with the weedy voice. Weedy = weak, wussy, whimpering and pathetic. and I could understand some of what he was singing and that was pathetic too.

Thought that Outer Heaven was sweet as though, what'd you think?

Solid meat and potatoes DM. Nothing to dislike.

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

A dude I used to post with years ago who was largely unfamiliar with funeraal doom went to an Evoken show in Connecticut one time, or maybe he drove up to Boston I'm not sure. But he said during the breaks between all the songs he yelled out "Play faster!!" which got a good laugh from all in attendance. The band probably didn't appreciate it too much though.

Hah. I would imagine not. Most metal bands are pretty cool taking a little heckling, though. Surprisingly it's the younger ones that usually feel like they've got something to prove onstage. That's metal though. To date I've only ever been actually treated poorly by one real metal band whose show I went to, and one member in particular. I kind of understand to a degree. I was barely nineteen and the age limit on shows where alcohol was served that went past seven had just changed from 21 to eighteen, so these dudes were probably not used to seeing 19 year olds, and I had a gigantic cheap and worn down coat since the whether out here just sorta does whatever the fuck it feels like some years. But I probably looked like a grade a hobo street kid, and after their set when I went up to the guy and said "Good show" he just stared at me for a second, looked like he was about to turn away, and then decided to call me a creep and have the bouncer throw me out. The bouncer of course asked what I did, and when he couldn't come up with a good reason he just said 'look, he paid to get in, he bought your merch. I'm not throwing him out." It was a small show, too. There were maybe like twenty five people there.

NP: Deathgrave - It's Only Midnight

▶︎ It's Only Midnight | Deathgrave (bandcamp.com)

a4246851372_10.jpg

That'll pick up the pace a little after some doom.