What Are You Listening To?

khaos

22 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I don't know if he'd be in my top 10 or not, even just for Finnish bm bands, because there's so many god damned bands. But I do know the new one is fucking killer.

Already got the vinyl. CB is deep in me. I wouldn't know half of the stuff without Mikko.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

94. Deathspell omega - Paracletus

93. Sunn o)))  - Black one

92. Master's hammer - Ritual

I have to push it again.

91. Worship - Last tape before doomsday

90. 40 watt sun - Wider than the sky

89. Sore throat - Disgrace to the corpse of sid

88. Lungtoucher - The battle of Jorvik

I don't know how this got so high but anyway...

87. Incantation - Blasphemy

9 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't listen to Maiden or Angel Witch, the vocals are dealbreakers for me. Same goes for that band Satan everybody seems to go crazy for too. Even setting the vocal harmonies aside, I always thought Angel Witch was pretty lame, their thin production makes them sound weak. Their eponymous song with the endlessly repeating chorus is so damn annoying I want to reach through the speakers and strangle that dude.

Yeah that track is a weak point, I definitely think the second and third Albums are much stronger than the debut. As for Maiden I’ll gladly take Bruce’s vocals up to Fear of the Dark. Mind you everything only real kind to any of these pants is in the summer.Surprised Slayer feature so high

NP: Nunkthul - Nightshade Dominion

▶︎ Nightshade Dominion | NUNKTHUL | MALPERMESITA (bandcamp.com)

a0784744102_10.jpg

Very enjoyable. Melodically sound and well executed black metal. Must have missed this one late last year.

Random question: why does Nightshade get such an outsized representation in pagan and Euro-centric folk lore? I know it was used to some degree, but there's about a million and one other plants that were employed similarly with just as much cultural importance. It's my understanding that it's use as a poison is dwarfed by the use of the 'toxic' alkaloids often found in the plant family medicinally. It's may also, it seems, have been used for some sub-species psychoactive properties, but that's nothing new either, and in terms of psychoactive effectiveness the mushrooms Bhuddist and Hindu monks had been searching out for ritualistic use for near millennia prior would have a far more potent psychoactive effect, and it's not like rural Europe from which most of this folklore emerged wouldn't have had it's own equivalents to these fungi growing in the wild. So why the fixation on Nightshade? Was it just more commonly found, and easier to use as a poultice or something?

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:
4 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

94. Deathspell omega - Paracletus

Yes

4 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

93. Sunn o)))  - Black one

Yes

3 hours ago, CumBloodSucker said:

90. 40 watt sun - Wider than the sky

Nooooo

Good

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Nooooo

Maybe

Even better

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

No, no, no.

The best.

---

86. Exodus - Bonded by blood

85. Blood - Inferno

84. Rippikoulu - Musta seremonia

83. Doom - Total doom

82. Crowbar - Crowbar

I favor Sonic Excess in Its Purest Form but youtube and shit...

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Don't listen to Maiden or Angel Witch, the vocals are dealbreakers for me. Same goes for that band Satan everybody seems to go crazy for too. Even setting the vocal harmonies aside, I always thought Angel Witch was pretty lame, their thin production makes them sound weak. Their eponymous song with the endlessly repeating chorus is so damn annoying I want to reach through the speakers and strangle that dude.

Okay, Angel Witch I can understand. I could even see Maiden, since much of the same criticism could still be applied to them, even if I feel like maybe you're just after metal's sacred cows for it's own sake there. Both of them very rarely use alternating/complementary melodies for their choruses, and it's very easy to forget with Bruce Dickinson in particular, many of their early live performances were vocally sloppy. They were known to be kind of workmanlike bands. Dickinson of course, gradually honed his technique and learned to use his diaphragm correctly, whereas Angel Witch were really never able to capture their in studio energy and went through the musical equivalent of what a film maker would call production hell getting their albums off the ground.

Songwriting wise, yeah, I guess I can kinda hear what you're saying. Maiden's up and down career could fill a book, but long story short they aren't, never were, or ever wanted to be a band that tricks up their rhythms or brings a whole ton of involved neo-classicism and dynamic into their structures. They can use the odd bridge every now and again, and much of their material including and since A Matter of Life and Death, has incrementally crawled ever so slightly further and further away from the verse/chorus formula on each song, they're currently bogged down with over labored obligatory 'my time to shine' moments for every band member, and over repeated choruses. That doesn't seem likely to change at this point.

Satan, though? They've done what they've done from day one, stuck to their guns, and though they lack 'star power' in the form of a guitar god or a powerhouse singer, they have yet to produce a full length in which they're not hitting at 100% strength and momentum. I have a hard time accepting that anybody who likes nowbhm at all couldn't find something to love about Satan.

45 minutes ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Yeah that track is a weak point, I definitely think the second and third Albums are much stronger than the debut. As for Maiden I’ll gladly take Bruce’s vocals up to Fear of the Dark. Mind you everything only real kind to any of these pants is in the summer. Surprised Slayer features so high.

Slayer features so high because even though I do tend to spend many more hours each year listening to new shit from the current year or last few years, it's a lot of different bands so the plays get spread out across all of them. It's hard for new bands to accumulate hundreds of plays like some of the older bands have. If an album has 8 tracks I'd have to play it 47 times to get to 373. So what happens is more established bands who have released multiple albums, 5 or more, will rack up a lot more plays over several years than the newer bands that only have one or two albums. Most bands can't start getting high play counts into the 200's and 300's until I have at least 3 or 4 or more of their albums. Meanwhile I have hundreds of bands in my library of 3,700 bands who've managed to get around 100 or 150 plays.

But even Slayer's 373 scrobbles isn't really that much, and being my 79th most played band isn't that big of an accomplishment. My #1 Darkthrone has 20 albums and 1,678 plays. Inquisition and Motorhead each have over 1,200 plays, Overkill and their 20 albums have racked up over 1,000. The mighty Archgoat in the #5 spot is closing in on 1,000 (currently 935) I reckon they should hit that kilo mark this year. The Chasm, Horna, Type O Negative all over 800. My top 30 all have over 600 plays and it's all bands you'd recognize that have a bunch of albums out.

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

78. Centinex - Death In Pieces, Sweden

77. Coffins - Buried Death, Japan     (380)

53 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Slayer features so high because even though I do tend to spend many more hours each year listening to new shit from the current year or last few years, it's a lot of different bands so the plays get spread out across all of them. It's hard for new bands to accumulate hundreds of plays like some of the older bands have. If an album has 8 tracks I'd have to play it 47 times to get to 373. So what happens is more established bands who have released multiple albums, 5 or more, will rack up a lot more plays over several years than the newer bands that only have one or two albums. Most bands can't start getting high play counts into the 200's and 300's until I have at least 3 or 4 or more of their albums. Meanwhile I have hundreds of bands in my library of 3,700 bands who've managed to get around 100 or 150 plays.

But even Slayer's 373 scrobbles isn't really that much, and being my 79th most played band isn't that big of an accomplishment. My #1 Darkthrone has 20 albums and 1,678 plays. Inquisition and Motorhead each have over 1,200 plays, Overkill and their 20 albums have racked up over 1,000. The mighty Archgoat in the #5 spot is closing in on 1,000 (currently 935) I reckon they should hit that kilo mark this year. The Chasm, Horna, Type O Negative all over 800. My top 30 all have over 600 plays and it's all bands you'd recognize that have a bunch of albums out.

78. Centinex - Death In Pieces, Sweden

77. Coffins - Buried Death, Japan     (380)

Damn, and I thought my roughly 1500 albums was an accomplishment

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Okay, Angel Witch I can understand. I could even see Maiden, since much of the same criticism could still be applied to them, even if I feel like maybe you're just after metal's sacred cows for it's own sake there. Both of them very rarely use alternating/complementary melodies for their choruses, and it's very easy to forget with Bruce Dickinson in particular, many of their early live performances were vocally sloppy. They were known to be kind of workmanlike bands. Dickinson of course, gradually honed his technique and learned to use his diaphragm correctly, whereas Angel Witch were really never able to capture their in studio energy and went through the musical equivalent of what a film maker would call production hell getting their albums off the ground.

Songwriting wise, yeah, I guess I can kinda hear what you're saying. Maiden's up and down career could fill a book, but long story short they aren't, never were, or ever wanted to be a band that tricks up their rhythms or brings a whole ton of involved neo-classicism and dynamic into their structures. They can use the odd bridge every now and again, and much of their material including and since A Matter of Life and Death, has incrementally crawled ever so slightly further and further away from the verse/chorus formula on each song, they're currently bogged down with over labored obligatory 'my time to shine' moments for every band member, and over repeated choruses. That doesn't seem likely to change at this point.

Satan, though? They've done what they've done from day one, stuck to their guns, and though they lack 'star power' in the form of a guitar god or a powerhouse singer, they have yet to produce a full length in which they're not hitting at 100% strength and momentum. I have a hard time accepting that anybody who likes nowbhm at all couldn't find something to love about Satan.

I'm not just after metal's sacred cows for the sake of it. Is it really so unthinkable that there are people who just don't go for polished and professional sounding mainstream music? I like my metal filthy, raw, ugly and rough around the edges. Satan embodies none of those qualities, in fact they're pretty much the polar opposite. To say that Satan is "hitting at 100% strength and momentum" would be like telling an 11 year old kid who plays sports on his school team "You're doing great out there buddy!" Knowing full well that if he were playing against the big boys he'd be getting stomped into dust and they'd have to take him off the field on a stretcher.

But in this case we're taking about nwobhm/trad metal specifically, and my main problem wth it is that I have no use for bands that have chosen to employ high-pitched vocals. That's the main reason I don't like power metal and almost all of that old nwobhm and trad metal crap. Your boys Satan and Maiden sound like power metal to me, but of course we didn't have the term power metal back then. I can't go too in depth about Maiden's music because I haven't heard a single one of their albums that came after 1984's Powerslave. I know they call Bruce the air raid siren, but I always took that to be a slag-off, not a compliment. I do have Court in the Act playing right now to refresh my memory, but I will not be able to tolerate this shit for much longer. High vocals and lots of tweedly deedly guitar noodling ugh. I get why someone else might like this stuff, and I certainly don't think less of anyone who happens to enjoy trad metal or power metal or whatever. To each his own. But it's absolute garbage to me with those girly cringe-worthy vocals, completely unsalvageable, no redeeming value whatsoever. If you actually find this kind of music hard-hitting and powerful then you go for it my man, knock yourself out. I guess I just don't fall into the category of "anybody who likes nowbhm at all." Even though there were a few bands from that scene like Tank and Savage and Burn that didn't have the extreme high-pitched vocals so they're alright and I'll still play them from time to time.

It's true I did buy and enjoy some trad metal albums back in the day because that's all we had in the way of metal back then 40 years ago. We didn't have all these sub-genre choices in 1983 like you kids have now. In '83 our listening choices were: disco and the pop music of the day, classic radio rock of the 60's & 70's, punk rock, classical music, jazz, country, folk music, new wave, nwobhm, trad metal or go fuck yourself and quit listening to music. So I went with the punk rock and the 80's metal. I have even managed to form a nostalgic attachment to a very small select handful of bands and albums from that era, but very little of it's anything I would even consider buying if these were new bands just starting their careers today.

Thrash finally came along and saved my ass from high-pitched hell, and by '84 - '85 I had kicked Priest and Maiden and 99% of the rest of those trad metal bands to the curb. Threw them out like they were some old worn out clothes that didn't fit me anymore. Because thrash metal just gave me so much more of what I did like, and so much less of what I didn't like about heavy metal. And then 20 years later in the early 2000's when I finally got around to discovering extreme metal in my 40's, within a year or two that had in turn made 90% of my thrash collection redundant. Because black and death metal just gives me so much more of what I do like, and so much less of what I don't like about thrash metal.

Burn - Burn, trad metal 1983 Sweden. This one's cool because there are no high-piched girly vox or ear piercing screams.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

1000 listens? That's incredible. I treat CD's like dinner plates, one use and they're in the bin to save washing them.

Remember it's not 1,000 listens to the album, each track counts as 1 scrobble. So the thing rewards bands and genres that tend to make albums with a lot of tracks on them. Play an album with 10 tracks 100 times and that's your 1,000 scrobbles. You only have to play an album with 14 tracks 72 times to get 1,000 scrobbles. But you'd have to play an album with 8 tracks 125 times to get to 1,000.

5 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm not just after metal's sacred cows for the sake of it. Is it really so unthinkable that there are people who just don't go for polished and professional sounding mainstream music? I like my metal filthy, raw, ugly and rough around the edges. Satan embodies none of those qualities, in fact they're pretty much the polar opposite. To say that Satan is "hitting at 100% strength and momentum" would be like telling an 11 year old kid who plays sports on his school team "You're doing great out there buddy!" Knowing full well that if he were playing against the big boys he'd be getting stomped into dust and they'd have to take him off the field on a stretcher.

But in this case we're taking about nwobhm/trad metal specifically, and my main problem wth it is that I have no use for bands that have chosen to employ high-pitched vocals. That's the main reason I don't like power metal and almost all of that old nwobhm and trad metal crap. Your boys Satan and Maiden sound like power metal to me, but of course we didn't have the term power metal back then. I can't go too in depth about Maiden's music because I haven't heard a single one of their albums that came after 1984's Powerslave. I know they call Bruce the air raid siren, but I always took that to be a slag-off, not a compliment. I do have Court in the Act playing right now to refresh my memory, but I will not be able to tolerate this shit for much longer. High vocals and lots of tweedly deedly guitar noodling ugh. I get why someone else might like this stuff, and I certainly don't think less of anyone who happens to enjoy trad metal or power metal or whatever. To each his own. But it's absolute garbage to me with those girly cringe-worthy vocals, completely unsalvageable, no redeeming value whatsoever. If you actually find this kind of music hard-hitting and powerful then you go for it my man, knock yourself out. I guess I just don't fall into the category of "anybody who likes nowbhm at all." Even though there were a few bands from that scene like Tank and Savage and Burn that didn't have the extreme high-pitched vocals so they're alright and I'll still play them from time to time.

It's true I did buy and enjoy some trad metal albums back in the day because that's all we had in the way of metal back then 40 years ago. We didn't have all these sub-genre choices in 1983 like you kids have now. In '83 our listening choices were: disco and the pop music of the day, classic radio rock of the 60's & 70's, punk rock, classical music, jazz, country, folk music, new wave, nwobhm, trad metal or go fuck yourself and quit listening to music. So I went with the punk rock and the 80's metal. I have even managed to form a nostalgic attachment to a very small select handful of bands and albums from that era, but very little of it's anything I would even consider buying if these were new bands just starting their careers today.

Thrash finally came along and saved my ass from high-pitched hell, and by '84 - '85 I had kicked Priest and Maiden and 99% of the rest of those trad metal bands to the curb. Threw them out like they were some old worn out clothes that didn't fit me anymore. Because thrash metal just gave me so much more of what I did like, and so much less of what I didn't like about heavy metal. And then 20 years later in the early 2000's when I finally got around to discovering extreme metal in my 40's, within a year or two that had in turn made 90% of my thrash collection redundant. Because black and death metal just gives me so much more of what I do like, and so much less of what I don't like about thrash metal.

Burn - Burn, trad metal 1983 Sweden. This one's cool because there are no high-piched girly vox or ear piercing screams.

Hey, no worries man. Whatever floats your goat is good with me. I know there's no such thing as a universal agreed opun metal band, genre, or time period, but there is definitely metal royalty in the nwobhm genre, though, and you're right that it's not completely unheard of to dislike some of them. Maybe I come across as too combative. It's not meant that way. Maiden in particular seem to inspire fever pitch zealotry among metal fans, and it takes some pretty strongly ingrained truculence to stand up against it. For all that though, your musical values are yours and yours alone, and if it helps keep the fanaticism of Maiden's base even a little in check, that's just a bonus.

I will say in the larger scheme of things Satans vocals don't seem particularly high pitched to me. I'll grant you that the point at the top of their singers range where he feels more comfortable slipping into falsetto is a ways north of baritone, and if they abuse anything it's that particular spot to really sell their hooks.

NP: Faustian Pact - Outojen tornien varjoissa

I'm on the fence on this one. They nearly lost me a second in with that spoken word song bloat, but it's only come up once more so far. They lose a few points for single note tremolo over what sounds almost like there's no second guitar. They gain points for giving these tracks what they need though. If a song sounds like it could use some backing keys that's what it gets regardless of whether or not it's within orthodoxy for the style. They'll use military song beats instead of blasting, and thank god there seem to be no triggers.

Also that's a nice necropolis on the art there. Wonder what the housing prices are like. I'll have to ask my demon realtor... that phrase almost feels redundant.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Remember it's not 1,000 listens to the album, each track counts as 1 scrobble. So the thing rewards bands and genres that tend to make albums with a lot of tracks on them. Play an album with 10 tracks 100 times and that's your 1,000 scrobbles. You only have to play an album with 14 tracks 72 times to get 1,000 scrobbles. But you'd have to play an album with 8 tracks 125 times to get to 1,000.

See this is where I put the meme from the big labowsky if I could paste links…

instead, as that one guy who listens to everything from trad metal to avant-garde I’ll say well that’s like your opinion man…

Gorguts - Obscurab

8 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Hey, no worries man. Whatever floats your goat is good with me. I know there's no such thing as a universal agreed opun metal band, genre, or time period, but there is definitely metal royalty in the nwobhm genre, though, and you're right that it's not completely unheard of to dislike some of them. Maybe I come across as too combative. It's not meant that way. Maiden in particular seem to inspire fever pitch zealotry among metal fans, and it takes some pretty strongly ingrained truculence to stand up against it. For all that though, your musical values are yours and yours alone, and if it helps keep the fanaticism of Maiden's base even a little in check, that's just a bonus.

I will say in the larger scheme of things Satan's vocals don't seem particularly high pitched to me. I'll grant you that the point at the top of their singers range where he feels more comfortable slipping into falsetto is a ways north of baritone, and if they abuse anything it's that particular spot to really sell their hooks.

You don't come off as combative at all, and I hope I didn't come off that way either. I can get overly passionate in the moment about silly trivial things and I do enjoy my hyperbole, but really I'm just glad to have anyone willing to talk about this shit with me. I'll be honest, it's late, 7:30, the birds are chirping and I've been up all night and when I typed that post I thought I was replying to Blivvington, I didn't even realize it was actually Le Cabbage until you replied to my reply. 

I don't get out much around the 'net. I don't go on any of the mainstream metal blog sites because they only talk about the more mainstream metal which I don't have any interest in. The only metal related site I go on is this one. So if there are legions of zealous Maiden fanbois prowling the interwebs looking for a fight this comes as news to me because I haven't seen that here on the forum.

I think of Maiden and Satan and their ilk as an anachronism, a relic from another time. All that traditional heavy metal from the early 80's and all the time we spent bar hopping to catch all the local cover bands, and all the trips into the city to see the big-time heavy metal bands play seems like it all happened in another past lifetime to me now. It was so long ago, and in the scheme of things it was such a brief moment in time. I discovered heavy metal bands like Priest and Maiden and Saxon right after high school, around '79 - '80 - '81. I was into that scene for a few years, and then I just kind of left it all behind in '84 - '85 when speed metal and thrash came into my life. And all this took place before you were even born.

By contrast I've been heavily into black and death metal for 20 years now, or 19 I guess to be precise. This is the music I connect with, that other stuff like the trad metal and the 70's rock before that was just what I used to pass the time until something better came along. Which isn't to say that I never really liked any of it to begin with because I did, I liked it at the time. But I don't know if I would have liked it so much if I'd have had the options of listening to some of these other newer metal sub-genres like you Millennials had the luxury of being able to pick and choose from in your youth. Even the Gen-X'ers just a few years younger than me had heavy metal and thrash when they were still in high school, all we had was Sabbath, Zeppelin and AC/DC and a bunch of hippie bands like The Who and The Dead. Actually most of the kids in my school were doing the disco fever thing anyway in the late 70's. 

My stats are a lot lower. They are just about to start hitting 100 scrobbles/band. Even my #1 has less than 900 scrobbles.

---

81. Mayhem - De mysteriis dom Sathanas

80. Capitalist casualties - Raised Ignorant 

79. Absu - Tara

78. Shape of despair - Shades of…

77. Veles - Night on the bare mountain

Teke - Beginning of the End, Istanbul Türkiye, I've been completely smitten with this album for the last 24 hours. Must have played it at least 6 times. This is not one of your typical 4 chord specials, they put some thought into this, managed to keep it interesting throughout. But yet it's still goat worthy. Well worth the time if you have 36 minutes to spare.

Ah shit, the young Cum Blaster has claimed Nefarious Dismal Orations for himself, one of my top two black metal albums of all time. In the immortal words of Impaled Nazarene: Do you want fucking war? Yes we want fucking war!

No I'm just kidding, it's cool I'll pick another one. I have plenty of time to think this over, Inquisition is my #2. My favorite band, but #2 in scrobbles.

20 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

94. The Varukers - Bloodsuckers, UK

93. Martyrdöd - In Extremis, Sweden   (349)

I love Saxon too! I'd rate Saxon over any other nwobhm band from the 80's. Of course my Saxon albums are: Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Denim & Leather, and The Power and the Glory. And I guess about half of Crusader is ok. Don't know what band you're listening to Jimbo. 

Awesome!  Yet another band we have in common!  I enjoy the entire 23-album catalog to some degree or another.  I'm actually listening through "Crusader" today.  "Power and the Glory" is a true masterpiece.  Looking forward to listening through the remainder of the catalog for the second time in the last few weeks.  And I'll probably start it again after that!