What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

ENERGETIC KRUSHER - Path to Oblivion

This is such a fun album. I haven't heard of this label before. Wonder what else they haHOLY MOTHERLOAD OF WEAPONS GRADE AWESOMENESS!!!

Okay. I'm going to throw this label a few bucks. This shit's great.

Didn't really appreciate this till the 4th track when the tempo sped up a bit. Never heard of them before, but 1989 death/thrash (more like thrash with moderately rough vocals) from Newcastle UK (oop north) yeah that's authentically old school. I'm not as enamored with this record as you appear to be Cabbage (I've decided to say your name to rhyme with massage, barrage and garage - US pronunciations of course) but it's alright for '89, I like it, I'll let it finish. (only 4 minutes left) But it's not on the level of Beneath the Remains, No More Color, Years of Decay, Violent Restitution or Slowly We Rot.

Extreme Noise Terror - A Holocaust In Your Head, UK 1989

45 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Didn't really appreciate this till the 4th track when the tempo sped up a bit. Never heard of them before, but 1989 death/thrash (more like thrash with moderately rough vocals) from Newcastle UK (oop north) yeah that's authentically old school. I'm not as enamored with this record as you appear to be Cabbage (I've decided to say your name to rhyme with massage, barrage and garage - US pronunciations of course) but it's alright for '89, I like it, I'll let it finish. (only 4 minutes left) But it's not on the level of Beneath the Remains, No More Color, Years of Decay, Violent Restitution or Slowly We Rot.

Extreme Noise Terror - A Holocaust In Your Head, UK 1989

Well the album itself is damn good. My enthusiasm was going toward this apparently Chinese label that specializes in osdm reissues. Seriously check this out:

Music | Awakening Records (bandcamp.com)

Extreme Noise Terror errs just slightly too far toward the harcore/punk side of things, but I still bust 'em out every so often and think about how easily I could've slipped into punk instead of metal at certain stages. Not that the two can't be compatible. I just think they're more like competing corporations with mutual respect.

NP: Hellbastard - Heading for Internal Darkness.

Heading for Internal darkness (Direct from Master Tapes) | Hellbastard (Official UK) (bandcamp.com)

a1524908030_10.jpg

Slowly We Rot and No More Color are unfuckwithable albums. Hoping to find something that tops those is a futile endeavor.

Also you may feel free to pronounce cabbage in whatever way seems fit. Also rhymes with entourage, homage, mirage, sabotage, and collage. Just maybe don't rhyme it with Niki Minaj, and I'm cool with that.

18 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

And it's not remotely black metal, let's get that straight. To call this black metal because it has fry vocals could only mean that you don't understand what black metal is. There is nothing blackened about this, this is progressive post-metal, full stop.

But it's really very good, excellent even, and I can't in good conscience claim any differently. I'm sure Fen-boi Doc will get plenty of mileage (kilometerage?) out of this one which will undoubtedly now be a lock for his #1 aoty.

Well, since we have determined that groove metal cannot be satisfactorily defined as an entity, then I doubt that BM can be either. I'm going to call Fen BM.

I exaggerate my love of Fen - although I really do appreciate many of their songs very much - to provoke exactly the reaction you have - very entertainingly - provided. AOTY? I doubt it.

+1476+ - In Exile. Now this was tame, even lame, and mostly not metal at all. And sooo long.

IANNIS XENAKIS - Persepolis. I can with all sincerity run one of my catch phrases. You - being 90% plus of you savages - won't like it.

NP - WORMREIGN - Abyssus. Inoffensive.

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Well, since we have determined that groove metal cannot be satisfactorily defined as an entity, then I doubt that BM can be either. I'm going to call Fen BM.

I exaggerate my love of Fen - although I really do appreciate many of their songs very much - to provoke exactly the reaction you have - very entertainingly - provided. AOTY? I doubt it.

Stubborn old coot, we have determined no such thing. Fen is about as much black metal as I'm the Queen of Spain.

And I suppose we shall see in about 6 months, but I'd be very surprised if Fen was not in your top 3 for the year along with Krallice. Unless could it be after all this time will it be revealed that the good Doctor is himself not worthy? What a cruel twist of fate that would be. Or a kick in the nuts anyway. Like an episode of The Tourist.

42 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Krallice.

Actually this years Krallice was shit, so it's not unworthy not to like it. But with the previous ones it's a different matter.

And I will define what is unworthy. That's another one of Thatguy's Laws, su Alteza Real. (Sorry for the Spanish, mods. It won't happen again.)

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Actually this year's Krallice was shit

Do I smell trouble in paradise? Is Doc fixing to call his team of lawyers to divorce his beloved Krallice? Who'll get custody of the kids? If I were you I'd deny you were the father until they can produce a definitive paternity test.

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

su Alteza Real

I'll accept Su Majestad. But Fen is still not black metal.

13 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Well the album itself is damn good. My enthusiasm was going toward this apparently Chinese label that specializes in osdm reissues. Seriously check this out:

Music | Awakening Records (bandcamp.com)

Extreme Noise Terror errs just slightly too far toward the harcore/punk side of things, but I still bust 'em out every so often and think about how easily I could've slipped into punk instead of metal at certain stages. Not that the two can't be compatible. I just think they're more like competing corporations with mutual respect.

NP: Hellbastard - Heading for Internal Darkness.

Heading for Internal darkness (Direct from Master Tapes) | Hellbastard (Official UK) (bandcamp.com)

a1524908030_10.jpg

Slowly We Rot and No More Color are unfuckwithable albums. Hoping to find something that tops those is a futile endeavor.

Also you may feel free to pronounce cabbage in whatever way seems fit. Also rhymes with entourage, homage, mirage, sabotage, and collage. Just maybe don't rhyme it with Niki Minaj, and I'm cool with that.

Don't forget visage, corsage, arbitrage, camouflage, montage and decolletage. Alright well I don't know any more French words. Funny how they all rhyme, eh?

My late Kiwi wife used to get mad at my American pronunciation of the word "garage." She'd say "It's not French!" which is funny because of course it is. Apparently on some other more southerly hemispheres they prefer to rhyme it with carriage instead which is absolutely fucking retarded. I wonder how they say it in England being that they're so close to France? She also couldn't pronounce "Chipotle" (Chi-POTE-lay) she called it "Chipottle" rhymed it with bottle. That one I thought was cute though. Millennials. 

I don't look at metal and punk as competing corporations at this point. And I don't think the respect is mutual, it's a bit one-sided. Personally I look at punk more as a subsidiary of its parent company metal. Because since the late 80's there have been so many bands who mix punk with various kinds of extreme metal in different proportions to make crust and stenchcore and sludge... these seem more like just some more metal sub-genres to me now since I listen to so much of that kinda stuff. And right on cue here comes Marko with some punky metal and metally punk. Wasn't really feeling the Vegawar, but the Disturd and the Neid are right up my alley.

I have definitely come to prefer punk in my metal and metal in my punk. Metal without any punk in it now feels to me like there's something missing. Punk and metal are both better together imho than either one of them is on its own. You wouldn't even have extreme metal if it wasn't for punk. Don't see why you'd wanna separate them. And I know that puts me at odds with a lot of metalheads who don't want any of that dirty punk touching their metal. But I've gotta go with what does it for me. You can keep your tech metal and your prog metal and your artsy post-metal, I'll stick with the crusties.

2 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My late Kiwi wife used to get mad at my American pronunciation of the word "garage." She'd say "It's not French!" which is funny because of course it is. Apparently on some other more southerly hemispheres they prefer to rhyme it with carriage instead which is absolutely fucking retarded. I wonder how they say it in England being that they're so close to France? 

We British pronounce it like the rest of the civilised world and rhyme it with carriage (like the horse-drawn vehicles we use to go places), which is even more retarded because we have no need of a garage, just some stables for the horses and servants to sleep in.

Yeah but do you British live in a castle or a carstle?

In Australia we've pinched the word for a few places and even the people that live in those towns/cities can't agree on how they are pronounced.

I can't afford servants so I have a garage that doesn't rhyme with carriage. I have a shed too and it doesn't rhyme with carriage either.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

My late Kiwi wife used to get mad at my American pronunciation of the word "garage."

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I can't afford servants so I have a garage that doesn't rhyme with carriage

I think Orca is agreeing that garage is pronounced the French way in the civilised world. Kiwi's and Poms get it wrong.

When I lived in England I used to annoy people by pretending I didn't know what they meant if they said oral or aural. Poms pronounce both words the same, as aural (like aura with an 'L'). Mouth or ear? I would say. It got really old but I wouldn't stop.

10 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'll accept Su Majestad. But Fen is still not black metal.

As a generous concession and to stop yer whining, I will concede Fen are progressive black metal.

23 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'm not familiar with anything they've done since the 80's, (I've heard a few songs which were fine but no full albums) but based on all these bands' classic 80's material I would rank Saxon over Priest & Maiden every time. It's not even a fair fight, Saxon mops the floor with them. They've always been my favorite nwobhm band since the beginning. Not shitting on their newer stuff, I'm sure it's still good, that's just not what I'm interested in these days. 

Fair enough!  I definitely understand how tastes and interests change over the years.

Priest is my favorite traditional metal band of all time, by a wide margin.  But I must say, I'm kicking myself that Saxon somehow eluded my attention for all these years.  I've never been more than just a casual Maiden fan - I like their stuff okay, but frankly never quite understood the level of hype around them worldwide.  

I finished the lengthy Saxon catalog earlier this afternoon - took about 5 days - and I'm thoroughly impressed!  I'll be playing most of those albums again in the coming days.

After I finished their latest album, "Carpe Diem" (2022), I played Motorhead for the remainder of the work day.  "We Are Motorhead" straight into "Inferno", and then a little bit of "Kiss of Death" to top it off.  Saxon, Motorhead, and HammerFall will be getting the vast majority of my attention for the next couple of weeks.

Also, I wanted to get your opinion on the Immortal album "Sons of Northern Darkness" and Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse".  Would you say those are essential listening?

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I think Orca is agreeing that garage is pronounced the French way in the civilised world. Kiwi's and Poms get it wrong.

When I lived in England I used to annoy people by pretending I didn't know what they meant if they said oral or aural. Poms pronounce both words the same, as aural (like aura with an 'L'). Mouth or ear? I would say. It got really old but I wouldn't stop.

As a generous concession and to stop yer whining, I will concede Fen are progressive black metal.

Americans pronounce oral & aural the same, aura with an L, and now I'm wracking my brain trying to guess which one of those words you silly Ockers would pronounce differently, and how exactly?

I will give you credit though for your correct pronunciation of garage.

Progressive post-black is as far as I'll go because all goats worth their horns know that post-black translates to not-black at all.

5 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Yeah but do you British live in a castle or a carstle?

In Australia we've pinched the word for a few places and even the people that live in those towns/cities can't agree on how they are pronounced.

I can't afford servants so I have a garage that doesn't rhyme with carriage. I have a shed too and it doesn't rhyme with carriage either.

My mother-in-law (whom I haven't spoken to in a few years now) once lived in Castle Hill, moved to Olympic Park and then back to Castle Hill again. I believe she pronounced Castle as carstle, not the Yankee way, (same A sound as apple) but the thing is she's actually a Kiwi ex-pat so I don't know if she was copying the Aussie way she'd been hearing or saying it the Kiwi way she had always been used to, or if both countries tend to say it the same way.

I've had a hell of a time trying to figure out which way the A's in various words will be pronounced down there as there doesn't seem to be any rules or reason for which ones will be said which way. Other strange vowel sounds don't bother me so much like the way Kiwis will say head as "heed" and ten as "teen" and then turn around and say "fush and chups" while the Aussies say "feesh & cheeps."

Funny though how when you hear a word said a different way than you've always said it, it doesn't take as long as I might've thought to get used to hearing it the different way. Case in point: in NY we say tuh-MAY-duh while the Brits & Commonwealthers say tuh-MAH-toe. I really hated it with the ah sound and the second hard T at first, but now I find myself saying it the Commonwealther way more often that not.

What I found harder to get used to was how they'll often put the emphasis on different syllables than we do here. Con-TRIB-yute becomes CON-trib-yute.

American vs British vs Australia, Castle is at 42 seconds. Can't believe they left out garage. But just today I've learned that both countries add an extra syllable to airplane "aeroplane" which I'd never really noticed before.