who are you planning to see live in 2024

agamerwholovesmetal

Question

25 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, agamerwholovesmetal said:

I'm going to see the Circle Jerks and Descendants in April and then Blink 182 in July with my brother (they're one of his favorite bands) what about you guys?

I have no plans to see the Circle Jerks in 2024 although I think they're great. Not a big fan of the Descendants, I could take them or leave them. Predictably I can't fucking stand B-182 so there's no way I'll be buying tix for that shit. Not even for my brother. Of course I don't actually have any brothers, just a sister, and I'm pretty sure she's not into B-182 either.

15 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I plan on taking Doc to see Iron Maiden because I know how much he loves Bruce Dickinson!

If Doc or I were forced to sit through an entire Maiden show, we'd probably be removed from the arena by security after a few songs for creating a disturbance and yelling/throwing shit at the stage. No fucking way we're staying and subjecting our ears to that abuse for 3 hours 'til the stupid encore.

3 minutes ago, FatherAlabaster said:

If only I had plans to see any live music. 

You're in a band. How could you not be allowed to see any live music? It'd be much harder for you now obviously since you've moved up to the deep woods of VT where no tours would ever go. But back when you lived in the Boston area didn't you occasionally ever get the chance to slip out for a bit to see a show?

Cody says the same thing, his wife freaks out about being left alone with the babies if he tells her he might like to go out to see a show, so he doesn't. I'm surprised she lets him go to Afterbirth shows.

I can relate though, I used to have to bring my wife and kid along to MDF and get a hotel suite. She didn't care to come watch the bands with me (in her Whitesnake shirt) after the novelty of the first year, but in the daytime we'd do touristy family shit like the Aquarium and the Children's Museum and stuff, and then after we'd had dinner together I'd go find the guys and we'd see some bands play. Not ideal, I'm sure I missed some good daytime sets, but it was better than missing it altogether.

I did leave her home alone one year for MDF 2014 when the baby was just 4 months old, and I even drove the 4 hours straight home Sunday night right after the last band finished. (Candlemass) But she never stopped bitching about it nor did she ever let me forget about the trauma of being left home alone with her own baby for three whole days for her remaining 3 years after that.

Now I've been a single dad for the last 6 years, and I've basically given up any hope of going to MDF anymore. The kid just gets too mad about being left at his Aunt's house for 4 days because his cousin is 21 now and doesn't want to spend his every waking minute playing with the 9 year old all weekend. But I don't think bringing him along with me would work either. He'd just be whining the whole time about how my music sucks and it's too loud and about how bored he was, and I'd just end up having to take him back to the hotel early to watch TV anyway. 

57 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

If Doc or I were forced to sit through an entire Maiden show, we'd probably be removed from the arena

Indeed.

Dark Mofo is off this year so there will be no obscure black metal bands to see in June and I have not heard of any band I want to see touring here this year. I'd pay money to see some local bands - Spire, Portal, Hope Drone to name a few but none of these guys seem to get out and about much.

1 minute ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You're in a band. How could you not be allowed to see any live music? It'd be much harder for you now obviously since you've moved up to the deep woods of VT where no tours would ever go. But back when you lived in the Boston area didn't you occasionally ever get the chance to slip out for a bit to see a show?

Cody says the same thing, his wife freaks out about being left alone with the babies if he tells her he might like to go out to see a show, so he doesn't. I'm surprised she lets him go to Afterbirth shows.

Yeah, Cody has mentioned a bit of this to me. It sucks a lot. It's definitely not like that for me, my wife is pretty cool with me playing music and theoretically going to shows. There's just no time or money for me to go the distance I'd have to go right now.

The best shows up this way actually come through Montreal. The bassist I've been playing with up here just went to Messe des Morts recently. European bands that don't come to the states because it's such a hassle will still go through there. One day in a kinder future after we get our shit together.

I am very much hoping to see the following shows, I do have tickets and an accreditation but for some I need babysitters so there's the doubt. Metal and children is not always compatible as I read above.

In Feb: Napalm Death • Suffocation • Wehrmacht • Primitive Man • Wormrot e.v.a.

In March: Cattle Decapitation + Signs of the Swarm + 200 Stab Wounds + Vomit Forth

In July this sick fest:

https://i.postimg.cc/MpskB4bc/Stonehenge-2024-flyer.jpg

21 hours ago, JohanV said:

I am very much hoping to see the following shows, I do have tickets and an accreditation but for some I need babysitters so there's the doubt. Metal and children is not always compatible as I read above.

In Feb: Napalm Death • Suffocation • Wehrmacht • Primitive Man • Wormrot e.v.a.

In March: Cattle Decapitation + Signs of the Swarm + 200 Stab Wounds + Vomit Forth

In July this sick fest:

https://i.postimg.cc/MpskB4bc/Stonehenge-2024-flyer.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Just got a ticket to Cattle Decapitation.

I'd never heard them before about a week ago, but that new album is almost as good as the splurging blogs say it is. Don't like the production and clicky drums, but the musical ideas and vocals are cool.

27 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

I'd never heard them before about a week ago, but that new album is almost as good as the splurging blogs say it is. Don't like the production and clicky drums, but the musical ideas and vocals are cool.

Monolith of Humanity back in 2012 made quite a splash. I bought that album, it was a stretch for me with it's grind influences but it kicks ass. This is the first album since then I've paid any attention. It's like cocaine.

12 minutes ago, markm said:

Monolith of Humanity back in 2012 made quite a splash. I bought that album, it was a stretch for me with it's grind influences but it kicks ass. This is the first album since then I've paid any attention. It's like cocaine.

I think you'd need cocaine to get up to the speed of that footwork. It doesn't sound very realistic which is my problem with this kind of production...but the positives outweigh the negatives for sure.

Since I've now got my ticket I better get up to cocaine/speed with the discography.

1 hour ago, JonoBlade said:

I think you'd need cocaine to get up to the speed of that footwork. It doesn't sound very realistic which is my problem with this kind of production...but the positives outweigh the negatives for sure.

Since I've now got my ticket I better get up to cocaine/speed with the discography.

I'll be curious your thoughts of them live, particular those insane vocals. 

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

My first encounter was as well Monolith when it came out and heard it countless times by now and I think it is one of my fav brutal death albums. Since then I am a fan of the band. 

2 hours ago, JohanV said:

My first encounter was as well Monolith when it came out and heard it countless times by now and I think it is one of my fav brutal death albums. Since then I am a fan of the band. 

I should go back to Monolith. It had just enough melody to make it approachable. Yohan, how do feel Terrasite compares with their last couple of albums?

18 hours ago, markm said:

I should go back to Monolith. It had just enough melody to make it approachable. Yohan, how do feel Terrasite compares with their last couple of albums?

In my opinion it is right up there with Death Atlas and The Anthropocene Extinction and liked it a lot. Yet, the three after Monlith never really topped that album in particular. But that says nothing about these 3 albums but all about Monolith. I like the last 3 pretty much equally.

Oh boy, who am I not seeing this year would probably be an easier answer. I'll hit the highlights on the current agenda.

This week - Crowbar

April - ASG, Red Beard

Sodom, Candlemass, Queensryche, Autopsy, Eternal Champion, Morbid Saint, Rotting Christ, Forbidden, Demolition Hammer.... among others at Hell's Heroes

May - Judas Priest

Maryland Death Fest: so many fucking bands - Dismember, Archgoat, Sacrifice, Gorguts, Primordial, Vomitory, 1349, Aura Noir, Soilent Green...

August - Metallica

FFDP, Marilyn Manson, Fozzy, Hailstorm 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:31 PM, agamerwholovesmetal said:

Just bought tickets to see mastadon and lamb of god in July. Kerry Kings supposed to be opening. Might also try to go out of state to see slayer for their reunion show in kutucky

Saw Lamb of God last year..they still sounded great.

Just added Metal Threat to my schedule for October, so a few decent bands in the queue.

Horna (Exclusive Appearance)
• Ancient Rites (Exclusive Appearance)
• Kawir
• Demoncy
• Adorior (Exclusive Appearance)
• Luctus (Exclusive Appearance)
• Weregoat
• Deströyer 666
• Sabbat
• Desaster (Exclusive Appearance)
• Death Strike (Exclusive Appearance)
• Nocturnal (Exclusive Appearance)
• Schizo (Main Frame Collapse set)
• Grave Desecrator
• Usurper
• Communion
• Eurynomos
• Sinister (First three albums set)
• Master (Exclusive Appearance)
• God Dethroned
• Opprobrium (Incubus)
• Agressor
• Cenotaph (Early material set)
• Azarath (Exclusive Appearance)
• Corpsessed
• Cadaveric Incubator (Exclusive Appearance)
• Father Befouled

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

Just added Metal Threat to my schedule for October, so a few decent bands in the queue.

Many of my off the board metalhead friends are going to Metal Threat in October. And indeed I can attest to the fact that Metal Threat back in July 2019 at Reggie's was one of the best metal weekend festivals I've ever been to, if not the very best, just due to the sick lineup. I'd absolutely love to go again this year but babysitting has become a real problem.

Kid's just at that smart-assed defiant pre-teen age where I'm the only one that can deal with him. And at 10 it seems he's already developed a little touch of the special GG brand of insanity, so I wouldn't want to inflict him on anyone else for a multi-day sleepover even if I had somebody willing to give it a shot, which I really don't. If it was being held in the summer again I might even possibly consider dropping him off at my daughter's in FLA for a few days, but the October date makes that basically impossible since I'd have to take him out of school for a few days and his nephews and niece will be in school down there that week as well. Besides, it'd be like a week's worth of driving or flying all over the country just to see a few metal bands.

But god damn man, Cadaveric Incubator, Horna, Father Befouled, Sinister, Azarath, Kawir, Demoncy, Corpsessed, Death Strike, Master, Luctus, Nocturnal, and even bands like Desaster and D666 which I've seen before I would go again in a heartbeat. That's a stronger lineup than you usually get at MDF. (although MDF has Archgoat this year) But it beats Lamb of god or a sharp stick in the eye anyway. Color me jealous Nave. You empty nesters have it made in the shade.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Many of my off the board metalhead friends are going to Metal Threat in October. And indeed I can attest to the fact that Metal Threat back in July 2019 at Reggie's was one of the best metal weekend festivals I've ever been to, if not the very best, just due to the sick lineup. I'd absolutely love to go again this year but babysitting has become a real problem.

Kid's just at that smart-assed defiant pre-teen age where I'm the only one that can deal with him. And at 10 it seems he's already developed a little touch of the special GG brand of insanity, so I wouldn't want to inflict him on anyone else for a multi-day sleepover even if I had somebody willing to give it a shot, which I really don't. If it was being held in the summer again I might even possibly consider dropping him off at my daughter's in FLA for a few days, but the October date makes that basically impossible since I'd have to take him out of school for a few days and his nephews and niece will be in school down there that week as well. Besides, it'd be like a week's worth of driving or flying all over the country just to see a few metal bands.

But god damn man, Cadaveric Incubator, Horna, Father Befouled, Sinister, Azarath, Kawir, Demoncy, Corpsessed, Death Strike, Master, Luctus, Nocturnal, and even bands like Desaster and D666 which I've seen before I would go again in a heartbeat. That's a stronger lineup than you usually get at MDF. (although MDF has Archgoat this year) But it beats Lamb of god or a sharp stick in the eye anyway. Color me jealous Nave. You empty nesters have it made in the shade.

Well you have an extra year to plan. Just after I bought my tickets, it was announced that the fest is bumped to 25. Good thing I hadn't bought plane tickets yet. That's truly the sickest lineup I've ever seen in the states. Here's hoping they can get their shit together for next year. We seem to be dropping fests at an alarming rate. Psycho & Oblivion Access died this year, MDF sorta died last year, the cruise has gotten to the point where I enjoy it but it's no longer worth the money. Hell's Heroes seems to be the only one growing and a pretty solid bet outside of MDF if/when they decide to put it on. Tons of mainstream fests but they can fuck off. May have to start looking internationally, like Messe de Mortes to get my fix. I've never tried Destroying Texas because it's like the week after MDF,  but it's on the radar now for consideration.

49 minutes ago, navybsn said:

May have to start looking internationally, like Messe de Mortes to get my fix.

Frustratingly it's less than 3 hours from where I live and yet I know in advance that I will never have the time to go. But if you're in the region maybe we could meet up. My friend the bass player loved it this past year, I think she said Dødheimsgard was in her top ten shows ever.