Jump to content
Requiem

5 bands' catalogues you'd take to a desert island.

Recommended Posts

You've been condemned to many years on a desert island with no contact with the outside world. 

You are, however, permitted to choose the entire back catalogue (studio and live) of 5 bands to take with you. Rather than picking 5 favourite albums, who do you pick when it comes to 5 desert island back catalogues? Metal only.

The more albums the better because you're going to be there a long time. Variety is also important. Like GreyscaleDawn, I've re-edited this to include an alternative in brackets. 

Here is my list: 

 

1. Mayhem (11 releases) - This is the black metal aspect. They cover a surprising lot of ground in their career, and I have Dead, Maniac, EURONYMOUS (hail 666), and Hellhammer to keep the extreme side of things available. (Septicflesh)

2. Opeth (15 releases) - A huge wealth of great songs, atmospheres, sophistication and moods. There is an Opeth album for every occasion. (Paradise Lost)

3. Katatonia (c. 15 releases) - Probably the greatest band of all time, and their whole collection covers so much territory. (My Dying Bride)

4. Nightwish (13 releases) - I've loved this band from the start and I didn't want to be stuck on an island with just gents. The female vocals, luscious song structures and large number of releases makes this a shoe-in. (Theatre of Tragedy)

5. Black Sabbath (many) - I'm editing this to get rid of Maiden and include Sabbath because I really don't know what I was thinking when I first made this post. Easily in my top 5 bands. (Iron Maiden)

 

Which back catalogues, and why, would you take to your desert island? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Your Ad Here
Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!

Yikes, that's tough. Very similar to the original "top five bands" question, I can't narrow it down that much without leaving lots of great stuff out. Plus you say "metal only", which means there's no way I can sneak in my King Crimson albums or my medieval polyphony.

If I was consigned to such a cruel fate this very morning, I'd grab Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Death, and Swans (which the guards will have to pry out of my cold, dead hands, which will probably happen sooner rather than later if I spend too much time actually listening to Swans). I can't imagine going for years (or even months) without listening to some of this music, and not only are they all among my favorite groups, they've all got albums I have yet to really warm up to, which will ensure that I have at least a little bit of the stimulation of new discovery awaiting me. Also, can I bring wine? And face soap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idea of this is to consider how much great material any particular band has. For instance there's no way I would rate Iron Maiden or Nightwish in my top 5 when it comes to just their music, but if I have to choose a band's full back catalogue then they make the grade because they have so much music out that I find entertaining and there's less chance of listening to Iron Maiden's back catalogue compared to, say, Sentenced. Even though Iron Maiden always kind of sound the same. Hmm, didn't think of that. 

I also didn't want five funeral doom bands, for instance, because that would make my time on the island a real downer. I want a mx - music for all occasions, such as building a tree house, collecting coconuts, sitting and reflecting on my past life, yearning for hot chicks, training the monkey butlers. Something for all moods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is too damn hard.. there are too many ways to go about at it. I also added one potential option to replace what i chose. Things like this really in a way annoy the fuck out of me, the very thought of being limited musically like that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Also no matter what i would choose, i would feel bad about all the things i excluded. :D 

 

Vader. Pure aggrenaline oozing kickass band that has been often on my playlist for years. Some of the best covers in metal. (Krisiun)

Paradise Lost. One of my all time favourite bands with good variety in albums. Theres something for every situation. (Anathema)

Rhapsody. One of those bands that i listen to sometimes even if not my usual stuff, never fails to bring a smile on my face. (Nightwish)

Megadeth. When i was a teen, there was always a battle Metallica vs. Megadeth. I always loved both but Megadeth has my most loved songs from the duo. (Testament)

Hypocrisy. I´ve been listening to it regularily since the 90s, wouldn´t know how to be without it either. (Arch enemy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GrayscaleDawn said:

This is too damn hard.. there are too many ways to go about at it. I also added one potential option to replace what i chose. Things like this really in a way annoy the fuck out of me, the very thought of being limited musically like that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Also no matter what i would choose, i would feel bad about all the things i excluded. :D 

 

Vader. Pure aggrenaline oozing kickass band that has been often on my playlist for years. Some of the best covers in metal. (Krisiun)

Paradise Lost. One of my all time favourite bands with good variety in albums. Theres something for every situation. (Anathema)

Rhapsody. One of those bands that i listen to sometimes even if not my usual stuff, never fails to bring a smile on my face. (Nightwish)

Megadeth. When i was a teen, there was always a battle Metallica vs. Megadeth. I always loved both but Megadeth has my most loved songs from the duo. (Testament)

Hypocrisy. I´ve been listening to it regularily since the 90s, wouldn´t know how to be without it either. (Arch enemy)

Firstly, for the Paradise Lost reference I want to shake your hand, sir. i tip my cap to you. 

Secondly, great list. I love Rhapsody too, which I could never imagine doing in my younger years. Luca Turilli's version of Rhapsody put out one of my favourite albums of 2015 in 'Prometheus'. 

Also I agree with you on Megadeth. I always preferred them over Metallica. The melodic goodness of Megadeth is hard to beat. Personally I think 'Youthanasia' is one of the all time underrated albums, and a release that basically outline how good melodic metal should sound. 

 

7 minutes ago, salmonellapancake said:

1. Death

2. Mercyful Fate

3. King Diamond 

4. Inquisition

5. Slayer

Mercyful Fate AND King Diamond??!! You'd better not get sick of them on your island hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am gonna be that irritating bastard who takes forever to think up his list to the point where I post entries one at a time (being the fucking master of suspense that I am like)!

First entry is Bolt Thrower as in terms of consistency you'd struggle to find many Death Metal bands with a rack of discs like Bolt Thrower's.  I can only think of one that isn't particularly level with the rest of their output and that is "Mercenary".  Granted that collection of b-sides that the tossers at Earache released against the band's wishes sucked too but I am willing to discount that one on the grounds it is an unofficial release.

Bolt Thrower always have that BIG sound on their records, it is to me Death Metal that surrounds you and makes you feel empowered as a listener which is what good music should do to you.  Great band that are sadly missed but deserve a nod for acknowledging that the stuff they had penned to follow up "Those Once Loyal" was pants and would not be committed to record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting discussion.... I'm torn between my favourite bands with limited outputs versus those who may not quite be that but who's overall catalogue is sufficient in breadth & scope to provide a lifetime of listening... In no particular order other than the order they popped into my head I would probably 'settle' for:

Thrash: for overall sustained quality and weight of material it would be a toss-up between SODOM and OVERKILL. Neither may have hit the 'absolute highs' of say Megadeth or Metallica, but I'd rate their overall output higher as a 'whole'. I'm gonna say SODOM.

Trad/Heavy Metal perspective: again it's a toss-up between Maiden, Accept, Primal Fear or Running Wild. This is a hard one... Can I contemplate a life with no Fast As a Shark or Balls to the Wall? I guess so. A life without 'freewheel Rider', 'Bad to the Bone' or 'Death or Glory'? I suppose I could... Or no 'King for a Day and 'Never Pray for Justice'. I think ultimately Iron Maiden's vast catalogue plus the pure quality of the first decade wins the day. How could life go on with no 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' or 'The Trooper'?

The 3rd catalogue I would take could be controversial but damn it's my desert and my island so if you don't like my music - stay away...

I'm taking W.A.S.P.

Yes, the great chainsaw codpiece wearer makes the list. Say what you will but 30+ years and a varied catalogue consisting of the great debut, Headless Children, Last Command, Golgotha, Crimson Idol, Double Live Assassins and so forth. Yep I'm happy with this...lots of material and even the crap (looking at you Kill/Fuck/Die and Helldorado) have some quality songs in there.

For my 4th choice I'm leaning towards Saxon or Priest but given the Maiden fix I've already stashed, I might need something a little more varied so I'm taking PARADISE LOST. Everything from death/ doom/Gothic and even (gulp) electronic influences in this grand catalogue. The past 3-4 releases almost represent the 'best' of all their sounds rolled into one. Icon, Draconian Times, In Requiem, The Plague Within, Gothic, Shades of God.... Enough said. The miserable ones it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally I recognise the need for something a bit more extreme on my list - and looking at my collection do I go with Cradle of Filth? Dark Tranquillity? Agalloch? Inquisition? Anathema? King Diamond? Hypocrisy? All would be worthy additions.... But no, if I was to be honest with myself, I'm gonna have to go with....well something that's not extreme at all....

KISS. Too much to pass up, too many good albums and songs. Love Gun, Destroyer, Rock n Roll Over, KISS, Alive 1 and Alive 2, Revenge, Lick It Up, Unmasked, Creatures of the Night, Animalise, Sonic Boom....Ace Frehley Solo Album. Given I'm gonna (presumably) die on this island I could also take one of those KISS Koffins Gene Simmons is so fond of trying to sell...

So that's it folks, I'm done (see Macabre it's not THAT hard..]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, True Belief said:

 

So that's it folks, I'm done (see Macabre it's not THAT hard..]

I was with you right up until Paradise Lost and then you killed our desert island liaison with KISS. The thought of spending a lifetime with you, isolated from humanity with your tongue permanently out air bassing to "Crazy Nights" whilst also having to constantly be on my guard to stop you painting a star over one of my eyes whilst I sleep and reminding you my name isn't Paul is not tickling my fancy.

WASP was a brilliant call though. As was Sodom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2016 at 6:36 PM, MacabreEternal said:

I was with you right up until Paradise Lost and then you killed our desert island liaison with KISS. The thought of spending a lifetime with you, isolated from humanity with your tongue permanently out air bassing to "Crazy Nights" whilst also having to constantly be on my guard to stop you painting a star over one of my eyes whilst I sleep and reminding you my name isn't Paul is not tickling my fancy.

WASP was a brilliant call though. As was Sodom.

Some huge surprises here, True Belief, but a perfect list in the spirit of the islands. Plenty of variety and large back catalogues. 

Imagine listening to Kiss on a deserted island. Surreal.

On 29/12/2016 at 10:10 AM, True Belief said:

Finally I recognise the need for something a bit more extreme on my list - and looking at my collection do I go with Cradle of Filth? Dark Tranquillity? Agalloch? Inquisition? Anathema? King Diamond? Hypocrisy? All would be worthy additions.... But no, if I was to be honest with myself, I'm gonna have to go with....well something that's not extreme at all....

KISS. Too much to pass up, too many good albums and songs. Love Gun, Destroyer, Rock n Roll Over, KISS, Alive 1 and Alive 2, Revenge, Lick It Up, Unmasked, Creatures of the Night, Animalise, Sonic Boom....Ace Frehley Solo Album. Given I'm gonna (presumably) die on this island I could also take one of those KISS Koffins Gene Simmons is so fond of trying to sell...

So that's it folks, I'm done (see Macabre it's not THAT hard..]

Meant to quote you, True Belief....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2016 at 6:36 PM, MacabreEternal said: I was with you right up until Paradise Lost and then you killed our desert island liaison with KISS. The thought of spending a lifetime with you, isolated from humanity with your tongue permanently out air bassing to "Crazy Nights" whilst also having to constantly be on my guard to stop you painting a star over one of my eyes whilst I sleep and reminding you my name isn't Paul is not tickling my fancy.

WASP was a brilliant call though. As was Sodom.

Some huge surprises here, True Belief, but a perfect list in the spirit of the islands. Plenty of variety and large back catalogues. 

Imagine listening to Kiss on a deserted island. Surreal.

On 29/12/2016 at 10:10 AM, True Belief said: Finally I recognise the need for something a bit more extreme on my list - and looking at my collection do I go with Cradle of Filth? Dark Tranquillity? Agalloch? Inquisition? Anathema? King Diamond? Hypocrisy? All would be worthy additions.... But no, if I was to be honest with myself, I'm gonna have to go with....well something that's not extreme at all....

KISS. Too much to pass up, too many good albums and songs. Love Gun, Destroyer, Rock n Roll Over, KISS, Alive 1 and Alive 2, Revenge, Lick It Up, Unmasked, Creatures of the Night, Animalise, Sonic Boom....Ace Frehley Solo Album. Given I'm gonna (presumably) die on this island I could also take one of those KISS Koffins Gene Simmons is so fond of trying to sell...

So that's it folks, I'm done (see Macabre it's not THAT hard..]

Meant to quote you, True Belief....

I could listen to KISS anywhere.

It's hard because you end up excluding some favourite bands for others who's catalogues offer more scope and variety.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, True Belief said:

I could listen to KISS anywhere.

It's hard because you end up excluding some favourite bands for others who's catalogues offer more scope and variety.....

Correct, and that's the genius of this thread. 

Solid gold internetting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death - flawless discography with plenty of variety

Enslaved - near flawless discography with the wintry vibe to trick me into thinking it's cold on that desert island

Bathory - varied and near flawless discography

Black Sabbath - Ozzy era 'nuff said

Pink Floyd - isn't it obvious?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/01/2017 at 1:45 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

Death - flawless discography with plenty of variety

Enslaved - near flawless discography with the wintry vibe to trick me into thinking it's cold on that desert island

Bathory - varied and near flawless discography

Black Sabbath - Ozzy era 'nuff said

Pink Floyd - isn't it obvious?

This is pretty good - there's a lot of variety here. I'd be pretty happy being marooned on an island with these back catalogues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2016 at 0:10 AM, True Belief said:

 

 

 

 

Finally I recognise the need for something a bit more extreme on my list - and looking at my collection do I go with Cradle of Filth? Dark Tranquillity? Agalloch? Inquisition? Anathema? King Diamond? Hypocrisy? All would be worthy additions.... But no, if I was to be honest with myself, I'm gonna have to go with....well something that's not extreme at all....

 

 

 

 

KISS. Too much to pass up, too many good albums and songs. Love Gun, Destroyer, Rock n Roll Over, KISS, Alive 1 and Alive 2, Revenge, Lick It Up, Unmasked, Creatures of the Night, Animalise, Sonic Boom....Ace Frehley Solo Album. Given I'm gonna (presumably) die on this island I could also take one of those KISS Koffins Gene Simmons is so fond of trying to sell...

 

 

 

 

So that's it folks, I'm done (see Macabre it's not THAT hard..]

YESSS!!! Kiss has a shitload of cool records.

What would I do? I'd cheat. I'd say I'd go with the Deep Purple extended family back catalogue. They have liens with any band I love. For instance, this would allow me to sneak ManOwaR and KISS and Twisted Sister.

ManOwaR were formed when Dio introduced Ross The Boss to Joey De Maio, who was then a technician for Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath definitely belongs to the extended Deep Purple family (via the Dio-Blackmore-Rainbow connection, the Gillan-connection and the Glenn Hughes-connection). Once you get Black Sabbath into the picture you can throw Kiss into the family via the Eric Singer-connection. You can throw Alice Cooper via the very same connection. You can throw Queen, still because of Eric Singer but also because of May guesting on "When Death Calls" by Black Sabbath. You can throw Anthrax into the fold via Dave Spitz being the brother of Dan Spitz. Once you have Anthrax you can go back to ManOwaR, because Ross the Boss produced Anthrax! Seriously, you can pick ANY relevant band using Deep Purple connections at large.

Judas Priest! Roger Glover produced "Sin After Sin", so they belong. Halford sung for Black Sabbath, so they belong even more.

Led Zeppelin... Blackmore and Page shared the same guitar instructor and both played with Screaming Lord Sutch. It's a never ending game.

It feels good to be on an island with all my records. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skull_Kollektor said:

YESSS!!! Kiss has a shitload of cool records.

What would I do? I'd cheat. I'd say I'd go with the Deep Purple extended family back catalogue. They have liens with any band I love. For instance, this would allow me to sneak ManOwaR and KISS and Twisted Sister.

ManOwaR were formed when Dio introduced Ross The Boss to Joey De Maio, who was then a technician for Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath definitely belongs to the extended Deep Purple family (via the Dio-Blackmore-Rainbow connection, the Gillan-connection and the Glenn Hughes-connection). Once you get Black Sabbath into the picture you can throw Kiss into the family via the Eric Singer-connection. You can throw Alice Cooper via the very same connection. You can throw Queen, still because of Eric Singer but also because of May guesting on "When Death Calls" by Black Sabbath. You can throw Anthrax into the fold via Dave Spitz being the brother of Dan Spitz. Once you have Anthrax you can go back to ManOwaR, because Ross the Boss produced Anthrax! Seriously, you can pick ANY relevant band using Deep Purple connections at large.

Judas Priest! Roger Glover produced "Sin After Sin", so they belong. Halford sung for Black Sabbath, so they belong even more.

Led Zeppelin... Blackmore and Page shared the same guitar instructor and both played with Screaming Lord Sutch. It's a never ending game.

It feels good to be on an island with all my records. 

I hope the desert island gods aren't deceived by your sophistry! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2017 at 7:48 AM, Skull_Kollektor said:

YESSS!!! Kiss has a shitload of cool records.

What would I do? I'd cheat. I'd say I'd go with the Deep Purple extended family back catalogue. They have liens with any band I love. For instance, this would allow me to sneak ManOwaR and KISS and Twisted Sister.

ManOwaR were formed when Dio introduced Ross The Boss to Joey De Maio, who was then a technician for Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath definitely belongs to the extended Deep Purple family (via the Dio-Blackmore-Rainbow connection, the Gillan-connection and the Glenn Hughes-connection). Once you get Black Sabbath into the picture you can throw Kiss into the family via the Eric Singer-connection. You can throw Alice Cooper via the very same connection. You can throw Queen, still because of Eric Singer but also because of May guesting on "When Death Calls" by Black Sabbath. You can throw Anthrax into the fold via Dave Spitz being the brother of Dan Spitz. Once you have Anthrax you can go back to ManOwaR, because Ross the Boss produced Anthrax! Seriously, you can pick ANY relevant band using Deep Purple connections at large.

Judas Priest! Roger Glover produced "Sin After Sin", so they belong. Halford sung for Black Sabbath, so they belong even more.

Led Zeppelin... Blackmore and Page shared the same guitar instructor and both played with Screaming Lord Sutch. It's a never ending game.

It feels good to be on an island with all my records. 

Well, if we're going to cheat like that, I could say that I'm taking the "extended family" of Joe Satriani.

Through his pupils alone, I would get Stevie Vai, Possesed, Exodus, Metallica and Testament (Joe himself and Testament would probably have made my list anyway). On top of this I would get the catalogs of the artists associated with G3 and Chickenfoot (Van Halen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers) and Dream Theater (spoken lyrics on Repentance). Among many other connections I could make through Satrianis countless other collaborations (I love Wikipedia)

Plus as he has toured as lead guitar for Deep Purple, I would steal all of your connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Will said:

Well, if we're going to cheat like that, I could say that I'm taking the "extended family" of Joe Satriani.

Through his pupils alone, I would get Stevie Vai, Possesed, Exodus, Metallica and Testament (Joe himself and Testament would probably have made my list anyway). On top of this I would get the catalogs of the artists associated with G3 and Chickenfoot (Van Halen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers) and Dream Theater (spoken lyrics on Repentance). Among many other connections I could make through Satrianis countless other collaborations (I love Wikipedia)

Plus as he has toured as lead guitar for Deep Purple, I would steal all of your connections.

You see? It's the Deep Purple thing! The whole heavy metal universe revolves around Deep Purple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're going to cheat I'm going to take Hellhammer (as in Jan Axel Blomberg). 

This means a significant number of albums from: 

Mayhem

Arcturus

Dimmu Borgir

Covenant

Winds

Shining

Thorns

and many others! They're not all brilliant, I grant you, but music is music when you're stuck on a desert island. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Join Metal Forum

    joinus-home.jpg

  • Your Ad Here
    Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

    • Variety is the spice of life, so they say.  Someone might want to mention this to Legion of the Damned.  Picking up right were Venom left off last week in the the generic stakes, "Slaves of the Shadow Realm" churns out a largely unvaried, unremarkable and unmemorable thrash metal with the odd splash of death and black metal smatterings here and there.  To give you some idea of how hard going this is I have to wait three whole tracks to here a lead guitar!  I love good chug fest as much as the next man but when it is the only flavour in the dish its impact on the palette diminishes quickly.

      I can't honestly tell if the album is supposed to be one long song accidentally edited to give gaps to give the illusion of it being several tracks?  Some tracks just start very lazy (Slaves of the Southern Cross) whilst others just allude to some slight break of pace from the previous track before going off on the exact same pace, in the exact same direction (Nocturnal Commando).

      The frustration is that when they get it at least half right and vary things just a touch, they can put together some enjoyable pieces (Warhounds of Hades) but the memorability factor still struggles to register much above a 0, even in these moments.


      By far the pinnacle of the record is "Black Banners in Flames", a menacing thrasher of a track that allows for some relent in the ferocity stakes to apply some melody to create that aforementioned menace.  Otherwise I feel that I have had a sub par meal at a restaurant.  The chefs are perfectly competent (no Michelin stars here though folks) and the ingredients are all of reasonable quality, sourced responsibly enough, but there's little attempt at seasoning and so everything just seems bland.  It sounds like the vocalist is holding this together really.  Swinkels performance on all tracks is obviously a notch up from his band mates' which is a shame because he deserves better really.



      2/5 (2019 is not starting well)
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • 37 years on, can Venom still cut it? Find out here:
      https://www.metalforum.com/blogs/entry/40-venom-storm-the-gates/
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • At the start of pulling this list together I had thought it to have been a "light" year for BM releases.  It was only when I got into compiling my "Best of 2018" that I realised it had in fact been quite a good year.  2018 in BM saw the return of some well established acts, some of them doing what they have always done well whereas others took to the recording studios minus long standing members.  When all is said and done, I think it all turned out rather well.

      Click the link to read more.

      • Reputation Points

      • 10 replies
    • It was 2014 when Corpsessed released their debut full length and mighty fucking good it was too.  Some 4+ years later and it is time for the sophomore release to land in my music stream and seek my attention.  When I say seek I actually mean possess my attention.  Although the album is by no means perfect, this record grabs hold of you by your very soul, dragging it off on a journey littered with horror, darkness and crushing heaviness to boot.  One of its main successes is the atmosphere that is obvious from the opening of "Impetus of  the Dead" and plays an integral part over the remainder of the release.

      It is a very well structured album too, with strong song writing that layers tracks up to behemoth size and proportions.  Yet at the same time there's a real sense of balance too, for every cavernous and mammoth like structure there's shorter and more intense bursts that whilst moving the pace slightly away from the heaviness, don't distract too much from it.  "Paroxsymal" and "Sortilege" are great examples of this, two well placed tracks that add a variety to the pace and increase the memorability of the whole experience.


      The album only has two weak points for me.  The penultimate track on the record seems just a random and not altogether necessary inclusion, especially given the quality of "Forlorn Burial" before it and the vast ending of "Starless Event Horizon" after it.  Secondly, the production does seem to give off a muddled sound on some tracks although the horror of the atmosphere and those lead guitars certainly do rescue the day on more than one occasion.  In a year that has struggled overall to bring many standout DM records, "Impetus of Death" will be a welcome addition to any fan's Top 10 DM Albums of 2018 no doubt.  It is one of the stronger records of 2018 and also a fine step up from their debut offering also which makes me excited for album number 3.

       

      4/5
      • Reputation Points

      • 0 replies
    • Behemoth "I Loved You At Your Darkest"
      The first song I heard ahead the full 2014 release ("The Satanist") from Behemoth was "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel".  It immediately peaked my interest, setting the tone nicely for what was to become one of my favoured full lengths of that year.  This time around I heard "God = Dog" (which I think means the band are more cat people?).  It sounded blunted and frankly restrained.  Yes, there was a brief passage of some interesting string work towards the end but generally it just passed me by.  Sadly, just as my experience of the lead song/single from 2014 was an excellent benchmark for my expectation of the full length, the same has happened in 2018 but with a very different outcome.

      "I Loved You At Your Darkest" rarely achieves touching distance of the band's previous full length.  There's lots of things that stop it from doing this, indeed the list is as long as either one of my lanky and lengthy arms.  The songwriting is poor, it lacks any real structure the majority of the time.  As a result there is a constant sense of this just being a very hastily written, rush of ideas.  Tracks like "If Crucifixion Was Not Enough" and "Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica" show this in abundance, the former nailing the lid down on its own coffin with one of the laziest attempts at a menacing riff I have heard in a while.

      When we do actually settle into some sense of structure it actually works well.  "Bartzabel" is a sole triumph in the songwriting/structure stakes here and this is almost ruined by the annoying double layered, chanting backing vocals.


      Next on my list of grumbles?  The sound.  It is one of the most sterile and strained sounding mixes I think I have ever heard on a record.  The drums sound like they were tracked for a completely different purpose on some of the tracks, "Wolves ov Siberia" and "Rom 5:8" in particular.  I can't believe that this was the intended sound the band wanted to achieve.  I follow Behemoth on Instagram and they make much majesty and menace over their theatre and general pomp when performing live it seems.  Surely then they haven't listened to the final playback of this record?

      Now then.  I don't recall chanting children on a record ever working well?  But there's a couple of tracks here of children chanting their disdain for Christianity alongside Nergal and co.  It sounds frankly fucking ridiculous and trite even over only two tracks!

      In summary, this is a massive disappointment whether you enjoyed "The Satanist" or not.  Hastily put together, poorly arranged and mixed terribly to boot.

      1/5 
      • Reputation Points

      • 2 replies
×