What Are You Listening To?

khaos

4 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

"I really like "St. Anger"" I must have misread, because that string of words is not compatible. It's like saying "spaghetti fog sad engine," individually the words have meaning but there is no synergy when combined.

If there was ever a quotable quote for a tag line...this is it.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Almost as nutty and incongruent as saying Sad Wings of Destiny is one of the greatest Judas Priest albums, amirite?

Hey hey hey, let's not get carried away now. We shalt only blaspheme against the gods of organized religion and sports teams. Leave the metal Gods out of it 🤫

Feeling a little vintage today:

Ratt - Invasion of Your Privacy

Sepultura - BTR

Queensryche - Rage for Order

Slayer - Show No Mercy

Now on to new:
NP: C.O.F.F.I.N. - Australia Stops

UADA - Crepuscule Natura

Woe - Legacies of Frailty

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

I've listened to KK the last few days quite a few times. It is definitely a heavy metal band. I can't say it has really landed for me but it's nice and short.

I'm not a fan of Ripper but for the most part he doesn't sound too bad on the new album. I don't think the album itself is anything ground breaking but it is entirely what I expected from KK. There is some good riffs on it and but like the first album I can't hear anything that propels it to excellent.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

UADA - Crepuscule Natura

Woe - Legacies of Frailty

Only halfway through Woe and it's not doing anything for me.

The UADA is bland as well. Lots of good riffs and twin guitar work but put together in a way that goes no where really. Djinn was a grower, and although still nothing to write home about, was better than this effort.

Both a touch pretentious as if they've all been trapped in a room smelling their own farts for a good while.

6 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Only halfway through Woe and it's not doing anything for me.

The UADA is bland as well. Lots of good riffs and twin guitar work but put together in a way that goes no where really. Djinn was a grower, and although still nothing to write home about, was better than this effort.

Both a touch pretentious as if they've all been trapped in a room smelling their own farts for a good while.

Smelling farts or listening to St. Anger? I don't even bother with UADA anymore. The Woe did nothing for me as well. Try these blasphemers from Iran, I can't get enough of this new album.

Trivax - Eloah Burns Out 

6 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Terra Builder - Solar Temple, German cosmic blackened death/grind. Keeps the atonality to reasaonably acceptable levels. FFO Altarage

Tasty. Through the first three tracks and this is pretty decent, but I find myself wanting to hear them really let loose. The riffs are there and they feel more than capable of giving me plenty to chew on. Now I just need them to put the pedal to the floor. Pretty good.

I can hear this stuff leans a little more toward the death metal side of things, but I have to say I've had some good luck with "cosmic" extreme metal. Hell, the absolute precision pacing and structure of Progenie Terrestre Pura's OltreLuna album even managed to win me over enough that I could overlook some of the more mechanized euro-industrial moments that I almost always find distasteful. What's strange to me about melding the whole sci-fi concept with black metal in particular is how the two genres benefit from opposing effects. The cold progressive side of the electronics works best with a surgical level of sharp angularity, but black metal (or at least most of the black metal I truly adore) is better served by sloppy wild blunt force trauma to my eardrums. Strange bedfellows for sure.

Anyway, it seems my appetite for cosmic aural punishment has been whetted. Be right back; gotta go listen to Wormed.

1 hour ago, navybsn said:

It's funny because I don't think I even made it to the "grower" stage with Djinn, yet apparently its was considered their best album up to that point. Starting to think this band is mostly getting propped up by people who don't actually like black metal, but still want to be able to tell everyone they listen to black metal.

Welkin - 武勇 / Emblems of Valour

from Singapore

https://welkin.bandcamp.com/album/emblems-of-valour

a4282030333_16.jpg

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

funny because I don't think I even made it to the "grower" stage with Djinn, yet apparently its was considered their best album up to that point. Starting to think this band is mostly getting propped up by people who don't actually like black metal, but still want to be able to tell everyone they listen to black metal.

Grower as in tolerable for the occasional spin. I liked COADS, but it was weaker than Devoid of Light. They're a decent band, and I love the twin guitar leads. Not bad live. I think the trajectory of their material is pretty clear at this point. Maybe they should go prog or pull a Tribulation and change directions all together.

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

I can hear this stuff leans a little more toward the death metal side of thing

That is why I actually liked it!

Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

Only halfway through Woe... a touch pretentious as if they've all been trapped in a room smelling their own farts for a good while.

I didn't mind Woe probably precisely because it is pretentious and attempting to be grand whilst not sinking into mire of too many  keyboards, too much melody and over production (mind you I only heard it on a phone speaker).

I think BM is pretentious by default so Woe seem to be extracting the most of out of it.

22 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

didn't mind Woe probably precisely because it is pretentious and attempting to be grand whilst not sinking into mire of too many  keyboards, too much melody and over production (mind you I only heard it on a phone speaker).

I think BM is pretentious by default so Woe seem to be extracting the most of out of it.

As a devotee of black metal moreso than any other current genre on the board, I can say that it is flooded by too much mediocrity and has more bands/projects floating by on reputation than substance. It's still hip to be into bm and I think that contributes. There's tons of great bands out there and the occasional implementation of genre tropes in a pleasing way, but not much that gets me excited to go slaughter a few Christians or burn a historic church. Those post-2010 acts with discographies more than 2-3 deep are exceedingly rare. Same could be said for all genres, I probably just noticed it more in bm. Haven't really had anything "light ye fires of hell" this year although I haven't had the time to do any real deep expeditions into the wilderness that guys like GG and Surge frequent as in years past. DM is easier and doesn't require much thought as I'm just looking to headbang. Same for trad metal.

19 minutes ago, navybsn said:

As a devotee of black metal moreso than any other current genre on the board, I can say that it is flooded by too much mediocrity and has more bands/projects floating by on reputation than substance. It's still hip to be into bm and I think that contributes. There's tons of great bands out there and the occasional implementation of genre tropes in a pleasing way, but not much that gets me excited to go slaughter a few Christians or burn a historic church. Those post-2010 acts with discographies more than 2-3 deep are exceedingly rare. Same could be said for all genres, I probably just noticed it more in bm.

Seems every genre is oversaturated.  I am over new thrash and traditional metal this year.  There's simply too much coming out and 99.9% offers nothing worthy of repeated listens.

Haven't really had anything "light ye fires of hell" this year although I haven't had the time to do any real deep expeditions into the wilderness that guys like GG and Surge frequent as in years past. DM is easier and doesn't require much thought as I'm just looking to headbang. Same for trad metal.

I usually get a couple of "light my fires" each year but this one's been particularly lacking.

Best new albums I've heard are Disguised Malignance and Incantation.  Enjoyed new Metal Church (still not 100% on whether I should buy it), Cannibal Corpse Asinhell (groovy DM) and maybe a few others I can't remember right now. 

55 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Grower as in tolerable for the occasional spin. I liked COADS, but it was weaker than Devoid of Light.

Yeah brother, I think we talked about it when Djinn came out and we basically both came to the same opinion. Devoid of Light was pretty solid, but each follow up album seems to be weaker than the last. My comment about them being propped up was more in regards to how most people seem to be thinking just the opposite, to the point I recently saw someone refer to Djinn as a "modern day masterpiece". Considering the direction they're moving in, comments like that make me wonder a bit about the taste of their fan base, and if its the increasing emphasis on the non-black metal elements that's making them seem more and more appealing.

Solipnosis - Sintesis Silenciosa

Proggy blackened death thrash (if there is such a thing) from Chile. You guys on the weirder end of the music spectrum might enjoy this

https://virupi.bandcamp.com/album/sintesis-silenciosa

a2825904775_16.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I usually get a couple of "light my fires" each year but this one's been particularly lacking.

Best new albums I've heard are Disguised Malignance and Incantation.  Enjoyed new Metal Church (still not 100% on whether I should buy it), Cannibal Corpse Asinhell (groovy DM) and maybe a few others I can't remember right now. 

Nervosa is worth giving a listen probably not going to be anyone's AOTY but maybe in someone's top 10.

11 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

Wait up. It sounded like you said: "I really like "St. Anger"" I must have misread, because that string of words is not compatible. It's like saying "spaghetti fog sad engine," individually the words have meaning but there is no synergy when combined.

I've listened to KK the last few days quite a few times. It is definitely a heavy metal band. I can't say it has really landed for me but it's nice and short. 

N.P. ABSCISSION | 𝐓 𝐎 𝐑 𝐏 𝐎 𝐑 (bandcamp.com)

You didn’t misread, my metal brother!  I do like “St. Anger” quite a bit and listen to it regularly.  I found it to be a refreshing response to the Load/Reload material, which wasn’t even really “metal” to be honest, although I do enjoy a few songs from those albums.  The ferocity was back - my only gripe is with the lack of guitar solos, but I think the songs are still really solid.  The drums are actually a part of the sound that I appreciate. 

Excellent choice!  I’ve listened through “The Sinner Rides Again” 3 times today, and it has gotten better with each listen!  Well worth the high level of anticipation I had!

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

I recently saw someone refer to Djinn as a "modern day masterpiece". Considering the direction they're moving in, comments like that make me wonder a bit about the taste of their fan base, and if its the increasing emphasis on the non-black metal elements that's making them seem more and more appealing

They're lousy with hipsters and scene tourists is all I can think. I'm totally cool with music that I just don't particularly like but can still appreciate, just not with uninspired for the sake of selling an album. Even cool with the genre not being about the message or adopted for new ones. The songs though are just so flat with absolutely no emotion behind them. They evoke nothing in the listener, not even the momentary air guitar tweedle COADS had every few songs. I mean give me something man. And to be fair, I can say the same on the DM side of bands like Squishabugg, Frozen Soul, and the rest of the hardcore kids turned knuckle dragging neanderthal.

20 minutes ago, navybsn said:

They're lousy with hipsters and scene tourists is all I can think. I'm totally cool with music that I just don't particularly like but can still appreciate, just not with uninspired for the sake of selling an album. Even cool with the genre not being about the message or adopted for new ones. The songs though are just so flat with absolutely no emotion behind them. They evoke nothing in the listener, not even the momentary air guitar tweedle COADS had every few songs. I mean give me something man. And to be fair, I can say the same on the DM side of bands like Squishabugg, Frozen Soul, and the rest of the hardcore kids turned knuckle dragging neanderthal.

Cosign this whole statement 100%. I'm not looking for anything revolutionary, but if a whole album goes by and you haven't managed to get me to perk my head up from what I'm doing for even a riff or two, then there's just nothing there.

Saw a comment once on another board, they were talking about those caveman-core bands, and I think they nailed why they sound so uninspired. It's because they're not even taking their ideas from the better death metal bands from before. Instead the vast majority seem to take their ideas from the first batch of bands to come out of that scene. So you just get these copies of copies of bands that really didn't have much to bring to the table to begin with