What Are You Listening To?

khaos

8 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Tank - Honor and Blood, 1984. Never owned this one, their 4th album, I had the 1st and 3rd Tank records before this. Kinda straddles the line between hard rock and heavy metal. Algy does have a very appealing voice. Wondering why they weren't a bit bigger back in the day. I guess the masses preferred Rob and Bruce's ear piercing screams. Idiots. 

Always thought this album was rather ploddy and lacking the intensity of their first couple.  In fact Tank got progressively more derivative after Filth Hounds of Hades.   Give me Iron Maiden's Powerslave any day.

Razor - Evil Invaders

29 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Is everyone too busy arguing about bacon to post some music?

I like my bacon with a side of Cormorant. I don't think cormorants are edible, but damn do they sound good.

NP: Cormorant - Earth Diver

▶︎ Earth Diver | Cormorant (bandcamp.com)

a2140768649_10.jpg

Go ahead and make your disparaging Opeth related remarks now, boys. These guys outclass post-Deliverance Opeth any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Always thought this album was rather ploddy and lacking the intensity of their first couple.  In fact Tank got progressively more derivative after Filth Hounds of Hades.  Give me Iron Maiden's Powerslave any day.

Yeah, I like Filth Hounds alright, but This Means War has always been my favorite. You can certainy have Powerslave, just don't make me listen to it. Tank is nothing truly amazing I agree, (which is why I only had the two albums) but unlike little Brucie, Algy just had one of those cool voices I could listen to all day. The Irons were so much better with Di'Anno. I'd probably still be a fan if they had hired someone else besides Bruce.

2 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Go ahead and make your disparaging Opeth related remarks now, boys. These guys outclass post-Deliverance Opeth any day of the week.

So do my bollocks.

9 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Shrines to Dagon | Out of the Mouth of Graves (bandcamp.com)

A pretty well executed if chaotic amalgamation of dark, nasty, cavernous slightly dissonant blackened brutalish DM. The art is representative of the insanity contained within. This one is growing on me.a2955228794_16.jpg

The good: pretty involved songwriting and a quiet mix that leaves plenty of space for instrumental breathing room.

The bad: I may be in the minority here, but I find myself wanting them to go way more dissonant. As it is they always feel like they're right on the cusp of tearing out an unknown but vital looking organ in offer to the death gods, but they never do. I want no half measures in my death.

The grotesque: Maybe with a little fine tuning and an extra level or two on the dissonance they could be a sneaky sleeper pick with their next album. What we have with this, though, is perfectly serviceable.

35 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Algy just had one of those cool voices I could listen to all day. 

Hilariously I think Algy wears a bit thin very quickly.  He was best at belting it out on fast songs but when he slowed down he started sounding a bit amateurish.

Asphyx - Last One On Earth

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Sarvekas - Woven Dark Paths

Nattverd - I Helvetes Forakt

Sarvekas from Finland is pretty good, even if it doesn't sound super Finnish. But that new Nattverd is gonna be hard to beat come December, definitely top 3. What an album, easily their best to date. 

Death of a King - Antimatter, black/death from parts unknown. Keep going back to this one.

1 hour ago, Dead1 said:

Hilariously I think Algy wears a bit thin very quickly.  He was best at belting it out on fast songs but when he slowed down he started sounding a bit amateurish.

Yeah but I like amateurish. It's polished that's hard for me in large doses. And Megastaine, who really should have hired a dedicated vocalist.

11 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Seriously wish someone could explain dissonance to me in greater detail because I don't get it at all. Why would anyone want more of it?

We've basically talked about this before. For me what I like in dissonant music is mostly about the thrill of the unexpected, and also about atmosphere, and also about the feelings of unease or aggression or chaotic energy that some of the sounds conjure up, and about finding hidden melodies inside of that, and about my own interest in how they make those sounds or how I might do more to get sounds out of my guitar that are more like sounds I hear in the world and less like the boring as bullshit chord progressions and bland melodic overlay that I hear in 90% of the entertainment-oriented fluff I come into contact with. If you're not looking for those feelings, or if it takes different sounds to evoke those feelings for you, then you're not gonna dig it. There is nothing I can say that will make you like that stuff. But, you know, you also like some pretty discordant and abstract stuff, like Abyssal for instance, so it's not like you don't get it. 

All dissonance is not created equally. Sometimes in small doses I'm ok with it. That one Abyssal abum with the French name and Onward to Golgotha are both examples of dissonant albums I enjoy. But it depends, sometimes I struggle to hear it as "music" when I feel like a band is taking the dissonance thing a bit too far. Like this Shrines to Dagon album Hungarino and Cabbage and Doc are all listening to this evening. I get the feeling of unease thing, and I could understand someone valuing unpredictability in music. But what I really don't understand is like how are these songs written and remembered? How could a band possibly recreate this randomness live without it being different every time? Or is it maybe supposed to be different every time? Are there special weird dissonant scales I'm unfamiiar with as a layman? How are these seemingly random disjointed sounds coming out of my speakers that seem to me to have no relation to each other whatsoever seen by some as an actual piece of music and not just random sounds? You can't tap your foot to it (or I can't anyway) so how does the drummer even know what to do? Are these dudes busy counting all kinds of crazy numbers in their heads to stay in time with each other, is that how this works? I'm 5 minutes from the end of this album and it kinda sounds to me like a symphony orchestra being played backwards.

A glorious album that I need to add to my physical collection at some stage when I find a reasonably priced copy.

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Yeah but I like amateurish. It's polished that's hard for me in large doses. And Megastaine, who really should have hired a dedicated vocalist.

Bruce in his early days wasn't over polished.  These days is another story.

Not sure why I am so tolerant of Dave Mustaine's vocals.  Funny thing is I can't think of anyone else who could sing Megadeth and fit!

Zeke - Flat Tracker

Thanks GG!

39 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

A glorious album that I need to add to my physical collection at some stage when I find a reasonably priced copy.

Zeke - Flat Tracker

Thanks GG!

Yeah Last One on Earth is a real banger.

You liking that band Zeke? I'm quite taken with them myself. It's funny bandleader Blind Marky Felchtone (guitar, vox, main songwriter) says he just started out to make a hard rock band like AC/DC or Motorhead or whoever, but then once they started playing gigs it was the punks who supported them and were coming to the shows. Seattle was in thrall to grunge music at the time when they were starting out in the early 90's so the rock and metal dudes pretty much ignored them back then but the punks loved them so they're considered a punk band now. But at the end of the day it's just straight-ahead hard rock played really fast. You can see his pick hand is a fucking blur. That meth must be a helluva drug. He quit music for awhile to raise a daughter and worked as a carpenter during that time but they're playing around again now. He looks so different these days since they reformed I wasn't sure it was even the same dude. 

Zeke Live @ Headline Records, Los Angeles, CA, 3/19/00

Zeke LIVE in Athens at Punk 'n' Loud Nov 24th 2018

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Are there special weird dissonant scales I'm unfamiiar with as a layman?

Yes.

Remembering the music? Classical soloists remember really complex music and jazz, progressive rock and metal  musicians do likewise. And if the dudes play the weird stuff differently each time, where's the problem? 

And it's the pulse, man, the pulse. Once you got the pulse you don't need to count.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

All dissonance is not created equally. Sometimes in small doses I'm ok with it. That one Abyssal abum with the French name and Onward to Golgotha are both examples of dissonant albums I enjoy. But it depends, sometimes I struggle to hear it as "music" when I feel like a band is taking the dissonance thing a bit too far. Like this Shrines to Dagon album Hungarino and Cabbage and Doc are all listening to this evening. I get the feeling of unease thing, and I could understand someone valuing unpredictability in music. But what I really don't understand is like how are these songs written and remembered? How could a band possibly recreate this randomness live without it being different every time? Or is it maybe supposed to be different every time? Are there special weird dissonant scales I'm unfamiiar with as a layman? How are these seemingly random disjointed sounds coming out of my speakers that seem to me to have no relation to each other whatsoever seen by some as an actual piece of music and not just random sounds? You can't tap your foot to it (or I can't anyway) so how does the drummer even know what to do? Are these dudes busy counting all kinds of crazy numbers in their heads to stay in time with each other, is that how this works? I'm 5 minutes from the end of this album and it kinda sounds to me like a symphony orchestra being played backwards.

Any two notes have a relation to each other. Same goes for chord sets and rhythmic percussive sets. It's just that that relation may not fall in line with traditional western harmonics. Even though you can view these things from the static perspective of pure atonal sound it's often the slipping in and out of tonality and the spaces in between that hold the most appeal for people. So the atonality is still, in it's own way, being heard through a traditional Western harmonic scale and rhythm. Also the power of suggested resolution attains a particular sort of impact in disharmonic note sets, but going into resolution would and has taken up many books worth of space in music theory, so it's probably best to avoid that avenue.

The best example I can give would be the string quartets of Bela Bartok. He was known for using traditional Eastern European folk melodies and rhythms all over his work, but to many ears it sounds dissonant even though he limited and kind of curtailed some of the innate atonality in some of them:

Another experiment in atonality that I find fascinating was Messaien's work with birdsong. It's kind of neat to hear something long considered to be beautiful and musical, when transcribed and performed note for note is atonal and dissonant. The first part of this video is a side by side of each birds song followed by that same song played on the piano.

Also, as an added bonus, it makes the cat freak out when I play this.

NP: Musmahhu - Reign of the Odious

Reign of the Odious | Musmahhu | Mysticism Productions (bandcamp.com)

a2945748233_10.jpg

I'm still quite clueless about this dissonance thing. I read some blog about it 1,5 years ago where I first heard the term dissonant death metal. I guess we have to separate some bands that could otherwise end up being described as avant-garde and atmospheric. 

Here is some riffs that are quite unconventional. I like the drumwork a lot. Polish black/death. 

Throneum - Morbid death tales

Or how about this for (what GG mentioned) how do bands remember how to play their songs? Bekëth nexëhmü, for what I have heard, goes to the studio with a few ideas in mind and plays it out almost spontaneously and never plays the songs again. It's not very complex but draws quite beautiful atmospherics.

Bekëth nexëhmü - De svarta riterna

18 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Shrines to Dagon | Out of the Mouth of Graves (bandcamp.com)

A pretty well executed if chaotic amalgamation of dark, nasty, cavernous slightly dissonant blackened brutalish DM. The art is representative of the insanity contained within. This one is growing on me.

Yip. I'll find myself liking this. Anything that goes from acoustic intro to chaos usually works for me.

And I haven't bought anything on bandcamp in a few weeks. I'm slipping big time on new music recently.

Stallion - "Rise and Ride"

Fantastic newer traditional metal band.  Soaring vocals that get more aggressive on occasion and some incredible guitar work.

RAM - "Forced Entry"

Another great new(er) traditional metal band.  The guitar work is incredible.

Enforcer - "Into the Night"

Shredding all over the place on this speed metal masterpiece.

Black Sabbath - "Mob Rules"

This one needs no explanation.  RIP Dio.