What Are You Listening To?

khaos

10 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

112. Cryptopsy - Blasphemy made flesh

Interesting choice of album for Cryptopsy. It's hard to tell how time is going to judge each of their phases. I will fully admit to being part of the rabble that perhaps unfairly shouted down their material from Once Was Not onward. I also saw the rerecruitment of Worm as a patently insincere move on The Unspoken King. I think after that they just kind of decided "Screw it. Everything we do is making people mad so we'll just do what we want." It's kind of hard to gage just what they had in them from this album. It's definitely extremely brutal and fast death metal, but it doesn't seperate itself from the pack too much. By the time Whisper Supremacy rolled around I was absolutely in love with their approach and style. It's just kind of sad to see that it was so unsustainable.

NP: Impetuous Ritual - Blight Opun Martyred Sentience

Blight Upon Martyred Sentience | IMPETUOUS RITUAL | Profound Lore Records (bandcamp.com)

a4177378191_10.jpg

1 hour ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Interesting choice of album for Cryptopsy.

I like the sound best. I've only ever listened this and None so vile. I'm sure there is great stuff in rest of the catalog aswell but all in due course. Damn straight, they should not give a fuck and just play whatever they want.

---

CBS's top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

110. Demilich - Nespithe

109. Xasthur - Subliminal genocide

108. Impaled nazarene - Absence of war does not mean peace

107. Hellhammer - Triumph of death

106. Unleashed - Where no life dwells

And here we are. Good morning to NJ.

105. Asphyx - Last one on earth

104. Hades - The dawn of the dying sun

103. Terrorizer - World downfall

102. Master - Slaves to Society

101. Sargeist - Satanic Black Devotion

I'd say good morning but it seems to be afternoon already. And now you're all caught up Mr Turku. Man, those last 5 you posted, Asphyx, Hades, Terrorizer, Master, Sargeist, all FIRE 😈 I'm gonna have to use TDotDS when I get to Hades becasue I love that record. Don't care much for Demilich or Cryptopsy myself but I will say my friends all seem to endorse BMF over NSV. Are there in fact any other Cryptopsy records that anyone actually listens to?

GG top 200 most played bands countdown according to lastFM

100. Primordial Serpent - Kingdom of Darkness and Despair, Winnipeg Manitoba

99. Oppressive Descent - Alchemy and War, Portland OR  (345) into double digits now, halrfway home.

14 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I'd say good morning but it seems to be afternoon already. And now you're all caught up Mr Turku. Man, those last 5 you posted, Asphyx, Hades, Terrorizer, Master, Sargeist, all FIRE 😈 I'm gonna have to use TDotDS when I get to Hades becasue I love that record. Don't care much for Demilich or Cryptopsy myself but I will say my friends all seem to endorse BMF over NSV. Are there in fact any other Cryptopsy records that anyone actually listens to?

Evening already. No, you would have to be a fan to listen the other Cryptopsy records. BMF is the more ugly sounding record which is why your friends favor it, I'm sure. Hehe, I've never seen Demilich live but I've been told the frontman speaks hell of a lot between songs, it's become a running joke to tell him to shut up and play the next one already. I guess they don't have that much material rehearsed so they try to fill the show with bad stories.

---

100. Edge of sanity - The spectral sorrows

99. Vader - Black to the blind

98. Kreator - Pleasure to kill

21 minutes ago, MarkhantonioYeatts said:

RANA - Richtfeuer

Found this one about a month back, and it's pretty good. Nice songwriting, and the production values are about where they should be. They're a little spare in places, but it helps them make the most of their longer song structures which is huge for this type of black metal. Also, it's cool to hear a band come out with their first album already fully realized and sound matured. Most bands like this go through some growing pains.

NP: SkyThala - Boreal Despair

▶︎ Boreal Despair | SkyThala (bandcamp.com)

a2510727728_10.jpg

As per the bands bandcamp; "All references to American music have been removed in favor of a focus on Igor Stravinsky, in particular his Russian period. Orchestral + compositional concepts/arrangements take the place of American folk or jazz/free jazz influences."

I think it's pretty ballsy to invite the Stravinsky comparison. The Rite of Spring to this day is a difficult piece for me to wrap my brain around. So many times when I listen to it I lose the thread and realize I'm kind of lost within the music. Still, in the interest of giving them a fair shake, I have to listen to this outside of that context since nobody out there is making another Rite of Spring. The tonality here is set squarely in the non-traditional category. It's not atonal, but you also won't be tapping your foot to any of it. Weird scales abound and the orchestral parts work surprisingly well, which could easily have sunk less focused compositions. Ultimately I think I like this. It's not a revelation by any means, but it is interesting. Recommended for people who are down for a challenging listen.

2 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Found this one about a month back, and it's pretty good. Nice songwriting, and the production values are about where they should be. They're a little spare in places, but it helps them make the most of their longer song structures which is huge for this type of black metal. Also, it's cool to hear a band come out with their first album already fully realized and sound matured. Most bands like this go through some growing pains.

That Rană is blackened crust from Germany and I'll be giving it a proper listen in a minute here because Marko has never posted a bad album in his life. I owe my love of crust and stenchcore entirely to him from another forum we used to post on together back in the late 00's. Before I ran into Marko all I knew about hardcore was the old 80's UK & NYHC bands and crossover from back in the day. I was not familiar with the term crust, had never heard Amebix, didn't even know what d-beat meant 15 years ago. Nowadays crust is my 3rd most listened to genre after black and death. And it's not that far behind death. Because death metal is just so much better for me with a little extra punk in it.

98. Morbosidad - Corona de Epidemia, Houston TX   (345)

97. Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita, Houston TX

94. The Varukers - Bloodsuckers, UK

93. Martyrdöd - In Extremis, Sweden   (349)

5 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Saxon - "Rock the Nations"

Saxon - "Innocence is No Excuse"

Love this band so much. 

I love Saxon too! I'd rate Saxon over any other nwobhm band from the 80's. Of course my Saxon albums are: Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Denim & Leather, and The Power and the Glory. And I guess about half of Crusader is ok. Don't know what band you're listening to Jimbo. 

10 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

94. The Varukers - Bloodsuckers, UK

93. Martyrdöd - In Extremis, Sweden   (349)

I love Saxon too! I'd rate Saxon over any other nwobhm band from the 80's. Of course my Saxon albums are: Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Denim & Leather, and The Power and the Glory. And I guess about half of Crusader is ok. Don't know what band you're listening to Jimbo. 

Strong Arm was one of the first albums I ever bought, early Saxon were the most consistent band in scene, but in my opinion that Heights as Maiden or Angel Witch

Sarcofago - INRI

Just now, RelentlessOblivion said:

Strong Arm was one of the first albums I ever bought, early Saxon were the most consistent band in scene, but in my opinion the heights was Maiden or Angel Witch.

Don't listen to Maiden or Angel Witch, the vocals are dealbreakers for me. Same goes for that band Satan everybody seems to go crazy for too. Even setting the vocal harmonies aside, I always thought Angel Witch was pretty lame, their thin production makes them sound weak. Their eponymous song with the endlessly repeating chorus is so damn annoying I want to reach through the speakers and strangle that dude.

84. Master - On the Seventh Day God Created... Master

83. Autopsy - Macabre Eternal, Oakland CA

21 minutes ago, CumBloodSucker said:

Certainly in my top10 bm bands

I don't know if he'd be in my top 10 or not, even just for Finnish bm bands, because there's so many god damned bands. But I do know the new one is fucking killer.

Clandestine Blaze - Resacralize the Unknown