What Are You Listening To?

khaos

3 hours ago, MacabreEternal said:

Forndom - Dauðra Dura (2016)

I haven't listened to this yet, but it's not a squoggle so I will give it a go later.

Edit. - It's deadly dull. But at least it's not a squoggle.

5 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Just to break up the same same shit show for a moment. I'll interrupt with something no one will listen too.

Evil Whiplash - Rituals Of Punishment

And , no, I won't be listening to this but I endorse the sentiment.

NP: Blessed Curse - Beware of the Night

▶︎ Beware of the Night | Blessed Curse (bandcamp.com)

a2715721807_10.jpg

It's no secret that there's a massive horde of newer younger thrash bands out there primarily made up of younger dudes keeping the spirit of the thing alive. This came along, by my count, with what a lot of metal outlets saw as a "revival" since at least Tempo of the Damned. Probably earlier, but that's when I first started noticing it. Among the younger generation of thrashers in recent years, I think there's been an outsized amount of very generic and unremarkable bands, much as I wish this wasn't the case. With any movement you're going to get some bands that are just 'okay', and I've been hearing it more and more lately.

When I found these guys today it got me thinking about this. They're not heavier, faster, or more vicious than any of the other newer thrash bands out there. They're not progressive or exceptionally technical. They're no more or less scholars of the Venom and Motorhead scholastic discipline than any other, and yet they hit different. I almost don't want to invite the comparison, because they aren't quite on the same level as the classic thrashers, but the best way I can describe it is the same as Bonded By Blood isn't all that different than many of it's peers. There were certainly faster (Sadus), more vicious (Kreator), and more technical (Coroner) albums available at the time, but when you listen to it you know there is and will only ever be one Bonded By Blood. It's just different somehow. Again, I want to stress that I'm not saying these guys are on that level, but they definitely prove their worth among the newer crowd. I'll definitely be listening to the new one when it drops in a month or so.

9 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Just to break up the same same shit show for a moment. I'll interrupt with something no one will listen too.

Evil Whiplash - Rituals Of Punishment

Aww. I just posted some thrash. Don't know of anybody into metal that doesn't like some form of thrash from somewhere on the metal spectrum. This stuff sounds fun.

45 minutes ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Wasn't saying you only like thrash, but with a name like Evil Whiplash there's only so many genres that could possibly be.

I was only taking the piss. Some people around here like to claim I only like thrash and that no other genre shall pass these ears. I forgive them of their misgiving because they are silly and old. But I take the piss out of them just the same.

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It's what the squoggles say that matters. Keep up!

No. Never. I remain behind the times just like thrash metal that died in the 80's!

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

OK.

Thatguy wants to get a word in edgewise.

I picked one of GGs squoggles - one he praised quite highly - and I'm calling 'emperor's new clothes.' Anti - ANTI. This is not good. It's aimless bellowing over featureless strumming of banal chords. Now, I like bellowing as much as the next metalhead, but there seems to be no point to any of it here and the music is just dull. I dipped into 4 or 5 of the tracks and they all sounded the same.

ENSLAVED - Axioma Ethica Odini

ODRAZA - Rzeczom

Banal chord progressions is my middle name Docarooni. I'm not looking for complicated, sophisticated prog opuses or unusual avant-garde music like a lot of people I know both here on the board and in real life. I can't even listen to crap like Enslaved or Ulcerate or Meshuggah or a lot of these sissy prog bands some of you dudes go for. I won't even listen to concept albums. I judge things viscerally. We have very different taste in music you and I do Doc, but you know this already. I don't see basic, 'static' and predictable as negatives. I'm good with basic 'banal' 3 or 4 chord songs. I want them to be somewhat punky. I don't need "more" from my music, other than more balls. I don't need dynamics, I don't want surprises, just stick to the template. I worship the Ramones and Motorhead FFS.

And the dude's bellowing was not 'aimless' the bellowing was quite good imho. If I could bellow like that guy I could have made my living as a German metal singer. The last track on that album Ride With the Devil is all you really need, 3 and a half minutes, if you that song doesn't get you pumped up then most of the shit I post on this forum won't be for you either. But you already know that you're not interested in the bulk of what I post here Doc, but I guess maybe you forget sometimes because you don't actually bother to check out most of the hhundreds of black and death metal albums I post. And why should you? It's not for guys like you, it's for us knuckle-dragging metalheads. We do have some overlap you and I, and I enjoy exploring that. But it's not gonna be stuff like this or any of the truckloads of norsecore, or crust or brutal deathgrind I post.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

I only like thrash apparently. (Although I'd have to confirm that with the expects who track these things closer than I do)

You know damn well that no one ever said "only." You informed us all when you first joined the forum that you listened to mostly thrash, or a lot of thrash. We can see what you post you know, well over half of it's thrash or thrash related, bands formerly known as thrash bands, or just trad metal or hard rock. Don't know why you act like such an dick every time someone suggests you might be a thrash guy. That'd be like me getting all bent out of shape if someone suggested I was a black metal guy. Yeah, of course I listen to other stuff too, but I'm clearly a black metal guy. I've posted more black metal in the last two days than you have in the two years since you've been posting here with us.

I also think you're not a very good piss taker.

1 minute ago, AlSymerz said:

Don't know why you've got to be a bully and call someone a dick. I know you are old and have trouble with names but honestly calling someone a dick is just hurtful.

Hahaha if the appendage fits...

Men like us who worked for a living don't get offended by silly names. Aussies and Scots are known to have the foulest mouths of all the English speaking countries anyway. You probably curse like a drunken sailor when it's just you and the cows.

I do have beef cattle that's why I have to be their master, but there is a bloke a few towns away who did a study for some university where he played opera music while milking and apparently the cows are calmer and easier to milk when they listen to opera.

Madrost - Lost Lives Vol 3