Black Sabbath

I am with Blut here. The Dio era wasn't bad per se, just very mainstream.  There's still some great riffs kicking about, including the Heaven & Hell period but those jazzy runs on the percussion are gone that made tracks like "Children of Tomorrow" so awesome.  I don't think Dio's style would fit such a track either to be fair.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2018 at 11:28 PM, RelentlessOblivion said:

I agree it's a shame Sabbath are done. However 13 is not a strong album, at all. The simple fact is that much as we laud Sabbath for blazing the trail they simply haven't put out a strong record (in my opinion) since Heaven and Hell.

I think '13' is a pretty good album considering the circumstances. It could have been a lot worse, put it that way. I think it's a fitting end to their career. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, there is yet another 70s Sabbath release announcement with a singles boxset. 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-announces-supersonic-years-the-seventies-singles-box-set/

This is what happens with Sharon holding control of everything - it's just Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy. Oi, oi, oi, when are the 80s  (and 1994) Tony Martin albums going to be re-released in deluxe fancy editions? 'Headless Cross', 'Tyr' and 'Cross Purposes' - that's what I'm waiting for. 

It's just 70s Sabbath over and over again forevermore. 

Well, there is yet another 70s Sabbath release announcement with a singles boxset. 
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-announces-supersonic-years-the-seventies-singles-box-set/
This is what happens with Sharon holding control of everything - it's just Ozzy Ozzy Ozzy. Oi, oi, oi, when are the 80s  (and 1994) Tony Martin albums going to be re-released in deluxe fancy editions? 'Headless Cross', 'Tyr' and 'Cross Purposes' - that's what I'm waiting for. 
It's just 70s Sabbath over and over again forevermore. 
Don't forget all of the press releases for 13 that referred to the band as Ozzy's Black Sabbath or called it the band's 9th studio album...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

On 14/04/2018 at 1:11 AM, BlutAusNerd said:

Don't forget all of the press releases for 13 that referred to the band as Ozzy's Black Sabbath or called it the band's 9th studio album...

This is why Tony Iommi is such a fascinating figure.

On the one hand he has created such great music but on the other he is constantly out-witted by those around him, whether it’s Patrick Meehan, Don Arden, or Sharon. He’s simultaneously the most fortunate and unlucky musician in showbiz. 

I was watching old 80s interviews with him on YouTube today, and he is so inarticulate and awkward. Everyone lampoons Ozzy for his mental state, but 1980s Tony Iommi was just as bad. Coke mainly.

You can’t even buy new copies of some of the 80s albums at all. A band as important and huge as Black Sabbath, and some of their albums are essentially out of print and unavailable unless you buy them second hand. 

The mind boggles.

This is why Tony Iommi is such a fascinating figure.
On the one hand he has created such great music but on the other he is constantly out-witted by those around him, whether it’s Patrick Meehan, Don Arden, or Sharon. He’s simultaneously the most fortunate and unlucky musician in showbiz. 
I was watching old 80s interviews with him on YouTube today, and he is so inarticulate and awkward. Everyone lampoons Ozzy for his mental state, but 1980s Tony Iommi was just as bad. Coke mainly.
You can’t even buy new copies of some of the 80s albums at all. A band as important and huge as Black Sabbath, and some of their albums are essentially out of print and unavailable unless you buy them second hand. 
The mind boggles.
I don't think any of them are OOP, but they're not stocked seemingly anywhere. We never had trouble getting copies of The Eternal Idol, Born Again, or Forbidden when I worked at the record store, but they would just sit on the shelf as people passed by them for other things. I still have a few gaps to fill in myself, but it's usually because they're out of sight, out of mind. It is a shame, I would never put them over their prime era, but most of those albums are pretty good.

18 hours ago, BlutAusNerd said:

I don't think any of them are OOP, but they're not stocked seemingly anywhere. We never had trouble getting copies of The Eternal Idol, Born Again, or Forbidden when I worked at the record store, but they would just sit on the shelf as people passed by them for other things. I still have a few gaps to fill in myself, but it's usually because they're out of sight, out of mind. It is a shame, I would never put them over their prime era, but most of those albums are pretty good.

The albums you’ve listed are in print and easily available, but Headless Cross and Cross Purposes aren’t available to buy new.

The guy who runs black-Sabbath Online is always at Iommi to do something about it. That’s an amazing website by the way and well worth checking out if you’re a Sabbath fan of any or all eras. 

The albums you’ve listed are in print and easily available, but Headless Cross and Cross Purposes aren’t available to buy new.
The guy who runs black-Sabbath Online is always at Iommi to do something about it. That’s an amazing website by the way and well worth checking out if you’re a Sabbath fan of any or all eras. 
Come to think of it, I guess I haven't ever seen those on a shelf anywhere. They'll probably get a reissue after Tony dies and the vultures start picking away at his estate, but I wonder why he's not motivated to do it before then.

• 3 months later...

I generally gravitate towards the original line up from 1970 onward to 1979. I can still remember the first time I bought a Sabbath album in the spring of 2017 around March which happened to be Paranoid. I was very intriguted by the sound and lyrics. In November I would purchase their debut on CD and be blown away completely especially with regards to "Warning"  and "Wicked World" 

Has Anyone here checked out their demo from 1969 when they were known as Earth? If not your in for a real treat.

• 3 months later...

Black Sabbath has been deemed by many bands as heavy metal itself. I love Sabbath despite whatever lineup (although I might disagree with the lineup with Ian Gillan, no offense, just a personal opinion). Their debut album and Paranoid really set the bar for heavy metal! Metal Legends-they'll always be the heavy metal band!

Favorite Albums:

• Paranoid

• Masters of Reality

• Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

• Heaven and Hell

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally managed to rank all the Sabbath albums from my least favourite to favourite, please don’t kick me from the forum 😬😅

1. Technical Ecstasy
  1. Forbidden
  1. Never Say Die 
  1. 13
  1. Heaven and Hell
  1. Seventh Star
  1. Volume 4 
  1. Black Sabbath
  1. Cross Purposes
  1. The Mob Rules
  1. Master of Reality
  1. TYR
  1. Dehumanizer
  1. Paranoid
  1. The Eternal Idol 
  1. Born Again
  1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  1. Sabotage
  1. Headless Cross

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How can an album be unreleased? Did you mean rereleased maybe?

Love Sabbath. Here are the Sabbath albums I still listen to ranked in order:

1.) Sabotage

2.) Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

3.) Master of Reality

4.) Volume 4

5.) Heaven & Hell

6.) Mob Rules

7.) Technical Ecstasy

After that it's just a song or two here and a song or two there. I wouldn't listen to any of the other albums straight through front to back.

• 11 months later...

Foolishly listened to all the Black Sabbath albums post 1982 except Forbidden and 13.  Strangely I haven't heard them all despite first hearing Sabbath way back in early 1990s.

The one true standout was Dehumanizer - no surprises as it is not just Dio but Geezer involved as well.  I had heard that one before.

I had heard Born Again before and its production and Gillan's vocals almost clashing with the band still irritated me.

Seventh Star was kind of meandering and pointless (yes I know it was meant to be a solo Iommi album).

I'd only heard odd songs from Martin era.  Listening to all the albums together and it's all blurred together.  It's all competent 1980s epic heavy/power metal but there's not much memorable here.  The one Martin era album that did stand out more was Cross Purposes which had more crunch and energy but again Geezer's here and he'd end up doing some pretty crunchy metal in his solo act not long after Cross Purposes was released.

I've always loved Dehumanizer, it was the first Sabbath album I bought on CD (the rest being on vinyl), so it was the first Sabbath CD that got thrashed in the car or truck.

Unlike most people I also like Born Again. Most people seem to rate it rather low but I never have, perhaps it's not a traditional Sabbath album, perhaps the band should have been called something else because plenty of people didn't think Gillian could/should front Sabbath, but as an album I quite like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...