Metal Sub-genres

Forums

1. Gothic Metal

The heaviness of doom metal with the dark melancholy of gothic rock

Often used to describe bands like Pantera and Exhorder. With mid-tempo riffs similar to those found in Thrash Metal and a tendency to focus more on groovy syncopation and heaviness than outright speed.

Repeating metal guitar riffs, sampling, synthesizer or sequencer lines, and distorted vocals.

Powerful, guitar-driven sound of metal with complex compositional structures, odd time signatures and diverse philosophical lyrics.

Mid-to-fast-tempo riffs, by thumping basslines, crunchy riffs, extended lead guitar solos, and clean vocals.

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal was a heavy metal movement that started in the late 1970s, in Britain, and achieved international attention by the early 1980s.

Slower tempos, low-tuned guitars and a much "thicker" or "heavier" sound.

Fast tempos, shrieked vocals, highly distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, blast beat drumming and raw recording.

A fusion genre which combines elements of heavy metal with other genres, including grunge and hip hop.

Fast tempo and melodic harmonies, the sound tempered by characteristics of speed metal.

Slow-to-mid tempo and features standard-tuned guitars, a bass-heavy sound, melodic vocals, and 'retro' style production.

Fusion of heavy metal with traditional folk music. This includes the widespread use of folk instruments and vocal style.

Heavily distorted guitars, tremolo picking, deep growling vocals, blast beat drumming and minor keys.

Fast tempo and aggression, fast percussive and low-register guitar riffs, overlaid with shredding-style lead.

Talk about as many niche sub-genres of metal as you like i.e. Metalcore, Deathcore, Melodic Metal etc.

Support the forum, get a special badge and promote yourself to thousands of Metal fans. Click the above link to get started!
  • Our picks

• "Wizard Bloody Wizard" is like the lifting of a thick fog.  From the off there's a feel of a dense weight being lifted from the band's signature occult/stoner blend of doom.  By the time I get to track two "Necromania" things almost seem like a dark cock-rock affair which is odd.   The over-arching feel though is of a band who have gone off the boil somewhat.  Despite the aforementioned lifting of the heavy atmosphere "Wizard Bloody Wizard" seems more of ground out effort made under some duress resulting in the album being robbed in the main of any feel...
      • Reputation Points

• 0 replies
    • I am a huge Cradle of Filth fan and on the album Hammer of The Witches they have a song called Right Wing of The Garden Triptych and based on the lyrics I believe it is a reference to the painting Garden of Earthy Delights by Hieronymus Bosch. Does anyone know if this is true or not? 
      • 2 replies
    • I love a good meme. Here's a combination of some metal memes I've made and some faves of mine, too. 
      Post / Make some of your faves.
      • 53 replies
    • Whether you love or hate Cannibal Corpse, their penchant for churning out accessible, fun and consistent DM can't be denied. Yes when they suck they really do suck (Gallery of Suicide), but even if technically never more complicated than most Kinder egg toys there's always a familiarity to CC albums that appeals. I get those that hate that familiarity. If you prefer to become lost in a Portalesque vortex when enjoying your extreme metal then the obvious churn of CC won't be for you. However, for every complex and archaic DM record in my collection I like to have a fair amount of surety too (someone will be along in a minute to replace "surety" with "safety" no doubt) and "Red Before Black" is as familiar to me after a few listens as most of the band's previous output...
      • Reputation Points

• 0 replies
    • Post in Metal Memes
      • Reputation Points