EOTY Listmania Extravaganza 2023

SurgicalBrute

I guess it's that time of year again...so here's this years Decibel list to kick it off

DECIBEL 2023

40 Dødheimsgard, Black Medium Current, Peaceville

39 Kommodus, Wreath of Bleeding Snowfall, GoatowaRex

38 Street Tombs, Reclusive Decay, Carbonized

37 Obituary, Dying of Everything, Relapse

36 Fires in the Distance, Air Not Meant for Us, Prosthetic

35 Witching, Incendium, Translation Loss

34 Circle of Ouroborus, Lumi Vaientaa Kysymykset, His Wounds

33 Cattle Decapitation, Terrasite, Metal Blade

32 Final Gasp, Mourning Moon, Relapse

31 Spirit Adrift, Ghost at the Gallows, Century Media

30 Krigsgrav, Fires in the Fall, Wise Blood

29 Will Haven, VII, Minus Head

28 Smoulder, Violent Creed of Vengeance, Cruz del Sur

27 Kruelty, Untopia, Profound Lore

26 Night Demon, Outsider, Century Media

25 Incantation, Unholy Deification, Relapse

24 Filth Is Eternal, Find Out, MNRK

23 Cannibal Corpse, Chaos Horrific, Metal Blade

22 Great Falls, Objects Without Pain, Neurot

21 Krieg, Ruiner, Profound Lore

20 Rid of Me, Access to the Lonely, Knife Hits

9 Mizmor, Prosaic, Profound Lore

18 Autopsy, Ashes, Organs, Blood and Crypts, Peaceville

17 Cruciamentum, Obsidian Refractions, Profound Lore

16 Tribunal, The Weight of Remembrance, 20 Buck Spin

15 The Night Eternal, Fatale, Ván

14 Enslaved, Heimdal, Nuclear Blast

13 Gel, Only Constant, Convulse

12 Enforced, War Remains, Century Media

11 Blackbraid, Blackbraid II, Self-released

10 The Keening, Little Bird, Relapse

9 Thantifaxath, Hive Mind Narcosis, Dark Descent

8 Frozen Soul, Glacial Domination, Century Media

7 Lamp of Murmuur, Saturnian Bloodstorm, Argento

6 Panopticon, The Rime of Memory, Bindrune

5 Godthrymm, Distrortions, Profound Lore

4 Jesus Piece, …So Unknown, Century Media

3 Wayfarer, American Gothic, Profound Lore

2 Tomb Mold, The Enduring Spirit, 20 Buck Spin

1 Horrendous, Ontological Mysterium, Season of Mist

I'm in the same boat haven't listened to many new albums this year

but I'm going to go with Sodomy's self-titled for best of the year

a2453106046_16.jpg

really reminds me of Bathory's first record and honestly the first wave style of black metal just isn't seen all that much anymore or at least I don't know any more

the only other albums I heard from this year where Cancer Christ satan is a bitch which was really fun and Metallica's 72 seasons which after the new album smell wore off is in the same boat as their last two records for me where I'll only listen to a few select songs from the album occasionally intel I get the desire to listen to the thing again.

2 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Unsurprisingly I've heard very few of them. 

I'm not even sure I've heard 40 new albums this year. I certainly haven't bought 40. I'd have been lucky to buy 20 albums this year I think. It's been a slow year for me, what I've bought may not even make a top 20 which would be a first in several decades.

192. Which is fairly low for me. Last decade or so usually by Thanksgiving (4 days from now) I'd have around 300 or more. 

I've heard 15 of the Decibel list. Few more I'm aware of but never bothered listening to because I know they're not my thing. Most goat worthy album they have on there is Kommodus, way down at #39 of course. The Incantation, Obituary, Blackbraid and Street Tombs albums are also good, I doubt any of them will be making an appearance on my final list though. 

I've actually heard 5 albums on the Decibel list. I've heard of quite a few but they don't interest me.

Usually I would have a heap of albums on the listened to list, many of which wouldn't have rated a second listen, some would have rated heaps of listens. But this year not so much.

Just looking at what I've bought in 2023 (including EP's which is unusual for me because I don't often buy EP's) there is about 35 on the list. But just scanning the list I can see there is some albums I know wouldn't make any lists. There are some bands I want to catch up with and there might be some albums I don't yet know I've missed, but this year is really looking like I put in about 20% of the effort I usually do.

I recognize roughly 3/4 of the bands, but I've only bothered to listen to about 10 or so of those albums because I know most of them weren't worth wasting my time. I will give this list credit for feeling a bit more organic than some of their previous years. Feels like this is more indicative of the magazine contributors actual tastes, and less like a list of whatever bands just happen to be getting the most attention this year.

How dare Decibel release an album before end of 2023. 

9 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Unsurprisingly I've heard very few of them. 

I'm not even sure I've heard 40 new albums this year. I certainly haven't bought 40. I'd have been lucky to buy 20 albums this year I think. It's been a slow year for me, what I've bought may not even make a top 20 which would be a first in several decades.

Same.  I've been too preoccupied with life to listen to a lot of music and too poor to buy new albums.

Having said that I think it's been a good year for death metal - Asinhell, Obituary, Vomitory, Autopsy, Incantation, even new Cannibal Corpse.

I've only heard about 7 of those on the Decibel list.

I was wondering before if I've been pre-occupied this year or if I just haven't been as compelled asother years. I've had plenty of busy years since I started doing EOY lists, even years where I spent little time at home, yet I still listened to and bought shitloads of music. This year I kind of feel that at the moment I just haven't been compelled to listen, which is a bit sad if true.

35 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I think it's been a good year for death metal - Asinhell, Obituary, Vomitory, Autopsy, Incantation, even new Cannibal Corpse.

Every year in recent memory has been a good year for death metal, you've just finally started coming around to the idea that newer death metal can be good too. Even if 5 of those 6 bands you listed here are old bands, I have seen you say good things about newer bands. Welcome to the 21st century 😁 

40 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

I was wondering before if I've been pre-occupied this year or if I just haven't been as compelled asother years. I've had plenty of busy years since I started doing EOY lists, even years where I spent little time at home, yet I still listened to and bought shitloads of music. 

My work's been more intense so not listening to as much music plus weekends have generally been packed.

Leaves precious little time for music.  I haven't even done other things I like such as Playstation and painting toy soldiers as much.

I think I've probably watched (or fallen asleep in front of) more TV this year than in previous years so it's possible some of that time missed being spent on albums. It could also be that there is less good albums in the world. It could also be that there is thousands more good albums and I'm tone deaf too them all.

Who knows, life goes on, I'm sure I'll get at least 10 albums to make a list!

There are so many releases that have potential to be best of the year. To make a fair assumption you got to thoroughly listen each album and grasp what it's all about. There is no way that I can do that to each release that sounds nice at first listen. Like if anyone can. Sulphur Aeon being fine example, initially I was not as impressed as I hoped to be. Lacking the brutality a bit. But many listens later I started to feel the album and understand it better. And now I believe it's magnificent. How many more albums will be around that requires similar effort? But these are all luxury problems. Fact is there is a ton of great releases in each genre each year. Now need to find a way to rank them a bit properly. Nice challenge!

EOYL are a commitment but everyone handles them differently. There is nothing wrong with listening to each album and trying to grasp what you think each album is about. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with simply listing the albums you've played the most during the year. How a list is generated is up to each person. It can be a challenge but it's only as much of a challenge as you want to make it.

When I do my lists I do start first with a  list of everything I've bought for the year, then re-listen to everything, then make up my mind which ones I like more. Sometimes the list is formed before the final play through, other times it doesn't. Sometimes the lists gets changed after I think I've finalised it, some times it doesn't. Other people do it differently, there is no hard and fast rules about how you get the list. But it is all meant to be fun, don't over think it unless you really want to.

01 Hell's Coronation ‎– Transgression Of A Necromantical Darkness (Godz Ov War)
02 Static Abyss - Aborted From Reality (Peaceville)
03 Incantation - Unholy Deification (Relapse)
04 Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood And Crypts (Peaceville)
05 Metallica - 72 Seasons (Blackened)
06 Worm - Starpath (20 Buck Spin)
07 Old Tower - Draconic Synthesis (Hospital)
08 Blood Incantation - Luminescent Bridge (Century Media)
09 None - Inevitable (Hypnotic Dirge)
10 Obituary - Dying Of Everything (Relapse)

16 minutes ago, Thrashman said:

01 Hell's Coronation ‎– Transgression Of A Necromantical Darkness (Godz Ov War)
02 Static Abyss - Aborted From Reality (Peaceville)
03 Incantation - Unholy Deification (Relapse)
04 Autopsy - Ashes, Organs, Blood And Crypts (Peaceville)
05 Metallica - 72 Seasons (Blackened)
06 Worm - Starpath (20 Buck Spin)
07 Old Tower - Draconic Synthesis (Hospital)
08 Blood Incantation - Luminescent Bridge (Century Media)
09 None - Inevitable (Hypnotic Dirge)
10 Obituary - Dying Of Everything (Relapse)

I always see your Thrashman handle and assume you're probably one of those only thrash is real guys. But that's not a bad list at all, not an ounce of thrash to be found. Besides the 72 Secrets, the only one I'm not feeing is the Old Tower, which I hadn't heard of til just now. Liking this None album though (the other one I hadn't ever heard before) enough that I might have to pick it up. Love seeing Hell's Coronation at #1, great band, one of my favorites of recent years. I only wish there were more bands in what I'll call the blackened doom space.

29 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I always see your Thrashman handle and assume you're probably one of those only thrash is real guys. But that's not a bad list at all, not an ounce of thrash to be found. Besides the 72 Secrets, the only one I'm not feeing is the Old Tower, which I hadn't heard of til just now. Liking this None album though (the other one I hadn't ever heard before) enough that I might have to pick it up. Love seeing Hell's Coronation at #1, great band, one of my favorites of recent years. I only wish there were more bands in what I'll call the blackened doom space.

The three previous None albums are a lot better though, in my opinion at least.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:04 PM, SurgicalBrute said:

3 Wayfarer, American Gothic, Profound Lore

2 Tomb Mold, The Enduring Spirit, 20 Buck Spin

1 Horrendous, Ontological Mysterium, Season of Mist

Amazingly, I happen to have the top three. That must be a first. Most of the others I haven't heard.

The Horrendous one is fun. Not album of the year, but I have enjoyed it a lot more than their back catalog (which old Alex-Fi used to gush over due to Damian's dynamic production). It just clicked this time. I keep coming back to it.

Tomb Mold, I find a bit interchangeable. I like it but don't find it that memorable. Same with Wayfarer. I actively like this band and the weird niche they occupy, but the new one hasn't quite clicked. But, I'll persevere with both. 

My favourite thing recently has been that Blood Incantation EP.  

39 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Amazingly, I happen to have the top three. That must be a first. Most of the others I haven't heard.

The Horrendous one is fun. Not album of the year, but I have enjoyed it a lot more than their back catalog (which old Alex-Fi used to gush over due to Damian's dynamic production). It just clicked this time. I keep coming back to it.

Tomb Mold, I find a bit interchangeable. I like it but don't find it that memorable. Same with Wayfarer. I actively like this band and the weird niche they occupy, but the new one hasn't quite clicked. But, I'll persevere with both. 

My favourite thing recently has been that Blood Incantation EP.  

Welcome back Jon, from wherever you might've been.

I guess I'll never understand people who prioritize production over the quality of the music. I understand why better production would be desirabe to most people, even those of us who like a less polished, rougher, grittier sound still have clear production preferences. But I would never buy an album based on it having the ideal production, unless I happened to really like the music. Unless you're saying that you and Alex just happen to really like Horrendous' music which I suppose is possible, someone must like them, I know I don't have any use for them.

You've almost got me wanting to check out this new Horrendous album anyway now though just to see what's up widdit. I'm never quite sure what people mean when they call an album "fun" though. Could you elaborate? What's fun about it? Is it a "thrill ride" like all these blockbuster Holywood superhero movies supposedly are? Is it a laugh a minute like a comedy show? Is it better than sex? Better than snowboarding? Better than video games? Better than a carnival ride? Better than a night of drinking with your mates? Why would someone call an album "fun" as opposed to good or great or fantastic or killer or some other superlative adjective like that?

Fun suggests that there must be some kind of caveat, like maybe you say it's "fun" beacuse you have some reservations or issues that prohibit you from being able to say it's good. Not unlike if you had a lineup of 10 girls at an audition and you proclaimed 9 of them to be some variation of pretty, beautiful, gorgeous, attractive or hot and the 10th one is "cute," that 10th one is going to go home in tears because she knows cute is code for not pretty or hot. Might as well tell her she's fun. 

39 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Welcome back Jon, from wherever you might've been.

I guess I'll never understand people who prioritize production over the quality of the music. I understand why better production would be desirabe to most people, even those of us who like a less polished, rougher, grittier sound still have clear production preferences. But I would never buy an album based on it having the ideal production, unless I happened to really like the music. Unless you're saying that you and Alex just happen to really like Horrendous' music which I suppose is possible, someone must like them, I know I don't have any use for them.

You've almost got me wanting to check out this new Horrendous album anyway now though just to see what's up widdit. I'm never quite sure what people mean when they call an album "fun" though. Could you elaborate? What's fun about it? Is it a "thrill ride" like all these blockbuster Holywood superhero movies supposedly are? Is it a laugh a minute like a comedy show? Is it better than sex? Better than snowboarding? Better than video games? Better than a carnival ride? Better than a night of drinking with your mates? Why would someone call an album "fun" as opposed to good or great or fantastic or killer or some other superlative adjective like that?

Fun suggests that there must be some kind of caveat, like maybe you say it's "fun" beacuse you have some reservations or issues that prohibit you from being able to say it's good. Not unlike if you had a lineup of 10 girls at an audition and you proclaimed 9 of them to be some variation of pretty, beautiful, gorgeous, attractive or hot and the 10th one is "cute," that 10th one is going to go home in tears because she knows cute is code for not pretty or hot. Might as well tell her she's fun. 

I haven't been anywhere. Just that work is busy, and also I haven't had much to say.

Production

I don't prioritize production over music but poor production sure can ruin it for me and make it hard to listen to on repeat.

As it happens I had quite different ideas to Alex as to what constitutes good production. He once awarded some album (I forget what) best produced AOTY. I hated what it sounded like. It was one of those hyper clean production jobs which was very clear and dynamic for sure but the instruments sounded awful. It had midi keys and a shit drum sound. I didn't like the music but objectively it also sounded bad to me. I scratched my head for days on that one.

Fun

>>Is it a "thrill ride" like all these blockbuster Hollywood superhero movies supposedly are?

Not really, although it is slick. Like one of those flashy superhero films but with a decent plot.

>>Is it a laugh a minute like a comedy show?

nope. None of the jokes landed at all. 

>>Is it better than sex?

nope.

>>Better than snowboarding?

nope.

>>Better than video games?

Maybe; I don't play video games. But for anyone that does - probably nope.

>>Better than a carnival ride?

Carneys freak me out.

>>Better than a night of drinking with your mates?

I don't drink, but when I did. Nope. Horrendous cannot replace human fellowship, but may facilitate it in the right company.

"Fun" in this instance simply means it brought a smile to my face. I'd use fun to describe anything that is a bit upbeat and not trying to be all grim and necro or too dense. Immortal is fun. Neurosis is not fun. Green Lung is fun. Weigedood is not fun.

I'll try to use a better description next time. I guess this is why I am not a music critic/reviewer. 

I liked Ontological Mysterium because it is catchy melodic death metal which I don't listen to that much of, so it adds a bit of variety to my day. It's not dense and the album is well constructed/paced.

Also, I know Damian and he's such a nice guy. I always wanted to like Horrendous but up until now it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I knew other people (in the press, not here) raved about it but I was luke warm. 

It is also short, and you know I like me a brief album over a long one. 

But, I guarantee it is not going to win you over. 

This year, I honestly feel like I could probably throw together a top twenty fairly easily. A top fifty on the other hand would be much more difficult, and might require some finagling of the rules here and there (there's no way Ulthar's Helionomicon/Anthronomicon is taking two spots, but as a whole album easily cracks the top twenty, for example). There are just so many albums that I've heard and formed a small kernel of an opinion about that I need more time with. It's a good problem to have, honestly. I will always take too much metal over too little.

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

"Fun" in this instance simply means it brought a smile to my face. I'd use fun to describe anything that is a bit upbeat and not trying to be all grim and necro or too dense.

Yep. I think fun is a perfectly good word to use to describe music. Bebop jazz is fun. The good bits of Mozart are fun. XTC are fun. 

The GG doesn't get fun. I keep telling him Archspire is fun and it is for exactly the reasons you give. Their music brings a smile to my face and it is just right when I want music that is not deeply engaging/grim/meaningful etc etc but is energetic, well played and simply enjoyable.