Random metal thoughts

Dead1

1 hour ago, markm said:

OK, you Crust lovers- I know that includes Navy, GG and Dead to some extent at least. I don't think I've heard any of these bands except High Command which I don't consider Crust:

https://yourlastrites.com/2022/12/29/best-of-2022-in-crust-we-trust-fresh-full-lengths-for-rotting-dumpster-divers/

High Command is definitely not crust(thrash/crossover). Neither are the OSees (grarge/psych), but they're on there too. Rest of the list looks ok at a quick look, but I haven't heard anything outside of those specific 2 selections.

12 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Blows me out you have such a strong opininion given you absolutely hate Pantera. 

As a Pantera fanboy who has CFH logo tattooed to his leg, for me this is still Pantera.

It's certainly true that I hate Pantera's music, but my objections to the current touring lineup calling themselves Pantera have nothing to do with what band it is or if I like them or not. It's the basic principle that certain bands have certain special irreplaceable members and if those members aren't there onstage then it's simply not that band. Think Motorhead without Lemmy or Type O without Pete, or AC/DC without Angus or Van Halen without Eddie or Celtic Frost without Tom. I put Dimebag in that same category even though I can't stand their music. Big Vin and Rex are replaceable, or substitutable or whatever, but Daryl is not. They should have called it 'Primal Concrete Sledge' featuring Phil Anselmo or something like that. It's a Pantera tribute, fine, I understand there's a high demand for that but it's not Pantera.

46 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

I'm such a big fan of Pantera that when I saw the live show with those CFH logos in different places I didn't know what CFH stood for. I could think of plenty of things, many not very nice, but it took me about a week to realise it was one of their album titles.

And your favorite song is confederate anthem, isn't it?

1 hour ago, KillaKukumba said:

One of the reason I don't really take much notice of genres is because I wouldn't have a clue how to list any of those bands without offending/upsetting some one. I do however know that I didn't mind Hellshock, Rigorous Institution, Crutches and Lexicon when I first heard them.

What makes you think anyone would be offended or upset if you happened to mis-genre a band they liked?

I just might be the kind of asshole who enjoys arguing sub-genres with people to pass the time, but I've certainly never been offended or upset about what genres people want to call stuff, no matter how far off I think they are. Pointless arguments are just my idea of fun on a Thursday night.

I've always enjoyed making up my own sub-genre names for various bands. For instance I have all the Overkill albums in my library tagged as "Blood Metal" in the genre column. Couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks of that.

1 minute ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

What makes you think anyone would be offended or upset if you happened to mis-genre a band they liked?

I just might be the kind of asshole who enjoys arguing sub-genres with people to pass the time, but I've certainly never been offended or upset about what genres people want to call stuff, no matter how far off I think they are. Pointless arguments are just my idea of fun on a Thursday night.

I've always enjoyed making up my own sub-genre names for various bands. For instance I have all the Overkill albums in my library tagged as "Blood Metal" in the genre column. Couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks of that.

It happens, although maybe a more accurate phrase would be, 'allow people the chance to try and educate me in the error of my ways'. It's not often one can label a band in a specific genre these days without someone jumping up and suggesting they belong in another genre. I'm saving other people energy by not setting up a genre debates

5 minutes ago, KillaKukumba said:

It happens, although maybe a more accurate phrase would be, 'allow people the chance to try and educate me in the error of my ways'. It's not often one can label a band in a specific genre these days without someone jumping up and suggesting they belong in another genre. I'm saving other people energy by not setting up a genre debates

But my silly Orca, the type of people who are prone to engage in sub-genre debates with others, especially when it's with relative strangers, these people want to expend that energy. They seek it out and look forward to it and they relish these debates. Why would you deprive them of this good wholesome fun they seek by selfishly opting out of the sub-genre game altogether? You don't want to play so you're just gonna take your ball and go home and ruin it so now no one can play? Have you no care or concern for your fellow metalheads? Have you no sense of brotherly love? 😘

I don't mind a good troll to expend some energy and to tire others out. I don't even mind starting a fair and then letting the embers burn until someone sparks them up, but I don't like to play in every fire.

Let's face it, making the connection between a stinky dog turd and metalcore, or the afterbirth of a sick cow and a band like...hmmm...I don't know...maybe Ice Nine Kills. That's fair game because we all know there is only one side to be on, the right side.

But what if I started a genre debate and I chose the wrong side? Brotherly love and concern for a fellow metalhead fly out the window and I end up laying in my bean bag sobbing myself to sleep.

Just now, KillaKukumba said:

I think we all know that the bean bags comment was in jest. Even if I managed to get into/onto a bean bag, there is no way in the world I could get up again. I'd die there!

Well to be fair this entire little conversation has been in jest. I'm just killing time at the laundromat on my phone waiting for my 3 weeks worth of clothes to be done spinning and tumbling or whatever they're doing back there. Don't pay any attention to 99% of the shit I post. Keep in mind I'm a smart-ass and a shit-stirrer. But I really don't mean any harm. 

Just now, KillaKukumba said:

So you've just been wasting my time to amuse yourself?

While you've been watching your tightie whities tumble around a wet drum I've been sitting here stressing out about choosing the wrong side of an argument I wasn't interested in to begin with.

Now I'm the one who is shocked and offended.

Isn't wasting time to amuse ourselves kinda the whole point of forumming? Or even the internet in general?

My 'tighty whiteys' are all black if you must know, like my metal and my heart. I don't think I even own any white articles of clothing. 

8 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Isn't wasting time to amuse ourselves kinda the whole point of forumming? Or even the internet in general?

My 'tighty whiteys' are all black if you must know, like my metal and my heart. I don't think I even own any white articles of clothing. 

I value every second I spend on the internet. It's the most amazing research tool known to man. The amount of information at ones fingertips is simply astonishing and one should never take that for granted therefore I don't waste a single moment when I'm online.

Black does hide the skid marks, even if there is no one to hide them from.

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Or life in general?

My Life In The General, sounds like a movie about a solider whose found his lot in life.