Random metal thoughts

Dead1

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

One of my exes was a huge Meatloaf fan. Can't tell you how many times I had to listen to that stupid record back in the 90's. She really loved Pat Benetar too but that wasn't so bad, I could deal with that.

Bat Out of Hell Vs. Love is a Battlefield. That's a tough one. I'd have to give it to Benatar. 

17 minutes ago, navybsn said:

Who knows. He's never exactly sober when he pops by so getting a straight trustworthy answer is about as easy as getting a capitalist endorsement from your Tassieland contingent.

He might or might not be sober when he posts, but regardless I've just always assumed he's mentally ill in some way. Or on the autism spectrum or something. Or he could be under the effects of some psychtropic drugs or some shit. Clearly his style of communication falls outside of societal norms.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

Even without hearing GG's rendition?

Sorry, I only know the words to Heartbreaker, You Better Run and Hell is for Children.

4 hours ago, zackflag said:

Some young twerp on reddit called me a "boomer" for buying music on bandcamp, lol. We seem to be officially at the point where paying for music in any format, even digital, is old man nonsense. Disheartening, but I guess I knew this was coming. 

That's both funny and tragic.

I don't think a random twerp on the internet necessarily represents everyone under 30, but still disheartening. 

Mind you, hard to know how to turn it around. My first move as god-emperor would be to ban and criminalise music streaming of the album based format. Singles are fine because streaming serves as the new radio.

That's right. The first move prior to world peace or ending environmental collapse. Priorities.

1 hour ago, RelentlessOblivion said:

Mine would be government sponsorships for new black metal bands…

Yeah, they could add a few bucks onto everyone's payroll tax and give us black metal for all.

3 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

That's both funny and tragic.

I don't think a random twerp on the internet necessarily represents everyone under 30, but still disheartening. 

Mind you, hard to know how to turn it around. My first move as god-emperor would be to ban and criminalise music streaming of the album based format. Singles are fine because streaming serves as the new radio.

That's right. The first move prior to world peace or ending environmental collapse. Priorities.

Streaming's not the problem, it's the exploitative renumeration scale they've negotiated with the record comanies. Record companies which have been exploiting, violating and abusing artists since they invented recording. I'd be quite pissed off if I coud no longer listen to albums on Youtube or Bandcamp to audition before purchase and could only have access to "singles" so I would have to lead the resistance movement to depose you. 

55 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Streaming's not the problem, it's the exploitative renumeration scale they've negotiated with the record comanies. Record companies which have been exploiting, violating and abusing artists since they invented recording. I'd be quite pissed off if I coud no longer listen to albums on Youtube or Bandcamp to audition before purchase and could only have access to "singles" so I would have to lead the resistance movement to depose you. 

This is one of many things the Bandcamp model gets right. Musicians can set a number for how many times someone gets to stream an album for free before they're asked to purchase. The default is 3 but one can set it to anything. We can also turn it off to make streaming unlimited. Seems totally fair to leave it in the hands of musicians. 

On a different topic, I am not lamenting the current absence of political rants or bizzare non-sequitur disquisitions on the nonexistence of objective reality or supposed dietary harms caused by vegetables. Shit gets old fast. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Clarification needed. I of course refer to subscription streaming services, not the technology of streaming. If a band has put an album on You Tube for all to listen to, then fine. But, if an album is there without their permission then it should be taken down.

Bandcamp already has the perfect platform that solves all these problems. Albums are freely available to stream/audition for a limited number of playbacks (set by the artist), unless the artist has blocked access to certain tracks, i.e. only allowed the "singles" to be heard. That is their right. You might hate the band for it and decide not to support them, but it's their choice.

This fair approach is the reason why the big labels want nothing to do with bandcamp of course because, as you say, they've been exploiting, violating and abusing artists since recording was invented. It kind of shows you who the corporate shills are. A big band like Metallica (who now release through their own label) would have a lot to gain by taking a stand against Spotify and supporting a platform akin to bandcamp*. But they probably do ok (if not great) from Spotify because they negotiated their own cut. Small bands do not have that leverage.

My guess is that if Metallica cut all ties with subscription streaming (except for lead singles to promote the album, a la radio) then they would see a bump in album sales (physical and legal downloads)...and they'd be setting the right example. 

The problem of course is that entitled cunts who think the world owes them everything for free may just return to illegal downloads, but at least then there will be no doubt who the cunts are. Spotify has legitimised the devaluation of music so the cunts don't realise they are cunts anymore. 

One of the guys here was banging on a week or so ago about a cool thrash band he'd been listening to non-stop for days on Apple Music. Even non-stop listening for weeks might have netted the band a cool $1 from streaming. If you are getting that much enjoyment out of a record you really should be buying it from them for, say, $8-$10 from the band or its label.

He's a cunt and doesn't know it. That's really sad. Everyone should know thine own cuntiness. You can do with that information as you will. Embrace the cunt or try to change.

*I'm not on their payroll! If there was an alternative, say metal specific, I'd be fine with it. I became quite wary of Bandcamp when they were bought out by a gaming company....which tends to make its money from subscription! But for now, nothing has changed. 

EDIT: crossed messages with my colleague FA, who covered half of this in much fewer words.

13 hours ago, zackflag said:

Some young twerp on reddit called me a "boomer" for buying music on bandcamp, lol. We seem to be officially at the point where paying for music in any format, even digital, is old man nonsense. Disheartening, but I guess I knew this was coming. 

Yeah, you're barely 30-haha-join the club. 

On 1/18/2023 at 12:19 PM, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Alright then Mr. M, I have read your complaint and have taken some time to think it over.

I hope you understand that obviously it's never been my intention to suck all the air out of the forum, nor do I have any desire to shut down or override yours or anyone else's opinions. I generally see my musical opinions as the dissenting opinions (I'm well aware mine is rarely if ever going to be the majority opinion) and I think it's important to have different perspectives represented, and for all perspectives to be welcome. For better or worse I just have a more colorful and demonstrative way of expressing myself through the written word than maybe some other people do. I think I tend to be more of an animated and demonstrative communicator than most in real life as well, and certainly just as opinionated, I just don't get as many opportunities as I'd like to have these types of music-themed group discussions face to face. I'm not sure if anyone writes exactly the same way as they'd speak when talking to a group of friends or colleagues, and I also think it's normal for people to come across somewhat differently one on one than they might when part a larger group, either online or in person.

By "internet persona" I just mean that you can't really know someone just from reading their forum posts in the same way that you could know them in real life, because you're only getting part of the picture. Everyone constructs a mental image of the people they post with on a regular basis. Not just what they look like, but their personalities and mannerisms and tendencies as well. And the longer you've interacted with someone, the more info you'll have gathered with which to construct that mental image. Sometimes when you have the chance to meet forum people irl the mental image can turn out to be pretty close, and other times it can be way off. I think many of us would like to believe we're the exact same person online as we are in real life, but I don't know how true I necessarily think that is. I suppose in a way we're all responsible at least in part for the mental images other people have concocted of us, because on a message board like this all the others get to see is what we've chosen to show them. But yet even at times when we feel like we're pretty much being an open book, we still have no control over how things will be taken, or how our motives and intentions and words can always be misconstrued.

You talk of chest beating and pissing contests, and I honestly don't even understand what you're talking about. I thought we were just having some fun talking about music and trading a liittle harmless good-natured banter. To me that's maybe the best part of belonging to a forum (besides the opportunity to be verbose and long-winded) that you'll get to know people after posting together for awhile and hopefully you can get to a place where you'll all feel comfortable joking around with each other. For me this forum thing is just a lot more fun if we can all joke around a bit. Not surprisingly, different people from different backgrounds with different life experiences and from different generations will be accustomed to different types of banter. I'd imagine some people's idea of "banter" can be a bit more aggressive or more savage than others. I guess I do tend to forget that other people can sometimes be a bit more sensitive than I am to what I see as merely some friendly off the cuff banter between friends. I suppose there will always be some people who due to their more reserved natures will tend to take things more personally, or will be more likely to feel marginalized or disenfranchised like they think I'm trying to invalidate their opinions simply by asserting my own. And that's unfortunate.

All I can really do at this point sir is apologize for any misunderstandings we may have had over the years, or if you feel I've "crossed the line" or in some way wronged you, and let you know that I do sincerely regret any offense or distress any of my brash outspokenness may have caused. I do think of you as a friend, and I would never want to harm or to wound a friend. I know I've made jokes at your expense, as well as jokes at the expense of some of the music you may like. But you have also reciprocated in kind with jokes of your own, and we've even talked about this issue privately in the past. So I guess I thought we were all cool and basically on the same page when it seems we really weren't. Clearly this is something that's been building up for some time and you felt you needed to get it off your chest. So if you're not enjoying my personal brand of good-natured banter Mr. M, then I don't know what else to tell you other than just offer to leave you out of it from here on out. Likewise if any of my strong opinions or "hot takes" or just outright dumping on some of the music you've posted have truly bothered or offended you so much, or if you feel comments I've made have been out of bounds or that I'm in some way ruining this forum experience for you by making everything all about me, then maybe I should just stop commenting on your posts and giving you my unwanted and redundant feedback on whatever you've might've been listening to lately. Fair enough?

Thing is I really do enjoy exploring some of the random stuff people have posted that I might never have come across on my own because it's well outside of my normal comfort zone, and then reporting my findings back to the group. And you Mr. M have proven to be a gold mine of alternative musical suggestions outside of my comfort zone, which I do genuinely enjoy checking out, even if ultimately not many of them end up working for me. The good Doctor has even told me that he enjoys my little reports and I should keep up the good work. But I'm not trying to run anyone off, or dominate the narrative, or force my opinions down anyone's throat. I'm not even trying to persuade you to change your mind about any of this diverse music you like, because no one ese's opinion could ever change mine. You make it sound like you think I'm trying to filibuster and shout down any and all opposition to the Goat Party agenda, or turn us into some kind of a goat utopia. While from my perspective, I'm just some guy throwing my two cents worth into the ongoing discussion like anyone else can. I'm just one lone guy with some unpopular opinions, I really don't think I have as much power to control the overall forum narrative as you give me credit for.

But yet as I've said, I can recognize that my idea of humor can miss the mark sometimes, and that not everyone is going to be in the mood for one of my hot takes or goat rants or be all revved up for a healthy debate at all times. Bottom line, we're all trying to have a little fun here, and if you're telling me it's not fun for you specificallly because of something I've said or done, then it's not gonna be fun for me either. We've known each other too long to be at odds. Even if I accept this role you've given me as "the contrarian," I don't want to be the source of anyone's discontent or be the one to torpedo their good time. That's not why I'm here. Rather, I'd like to think I do my share to contribute to the collective enjoyment we all derive from coming here.

In the spirit of Father-A not lamenting a temporary cease fire of random discussions, let me just say I appreciate your very reasoned response. Of course, I also consider you a friend and enjoy exploring topics with you on the musical spectrum.

Now, how about Hunter Bidden and mishandled classified documents? JK😁

5 hours ago, JonoBlade said:

The problem of course is that entitled cunts who think the world owes them everything for free may just return to illegal downloads, but at least then there will be no doubt who the cunts are. Spotify has legitimised the devaluation of music so the cunts don't realise they are cunts anymore. 

This should be up in neon lights in every city in the Western world.

6 hours ago, navybsn said:

I was thinking that this was the better takeaway @Thatguy, but whatever. Maybe this will be my new campaign slogan.

Everyone should know thine own cuntiness... and what's on Hunter's laptop.

Self-awareness is something I strive for. It keeps me awake at night sometimes, mulling over life's absurd ballet.

A recent realisation is that the main reason I support social equality, and taxing the rich to pay for it (including gladly paying higher tax myself), blah, blah is that I know I am an arsehole (asshole) mostly devoid of compassion and empathy. I cannot be trusted to donate to charities that work to improve people's lives. You have to force me into a fair social contract.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:04 PM, markm said:

I literally cannot get through an entire Grizzly Butts review word for word. Just can't do it. 

Right? I love the site and throw some donations their way from time to time. They really have near comprehensive coverage of obscure and extreme music, but their long form is deliberately (?) written so densely to the point of being incomprehensible. Makes Heiddiger and Dilthey read like doctor Seusse (ok, not really) but yeah, some of those must be from 1st year Philosophy students trying to flex their vocabulary but just bumbling through ridiculous word salads and references that no one gets. Plus not every death-grind or album really needs to be analyzed in the context of Euclidian Philosophy. 

I tease, I usually love their monthly short reviews and best of the month lists.

7 hours ago, Hungarino said:

Right? I love the site and throw some donations their way from time to time. They really have near comprehensive coverage of obscure and extreme music, but their long form is deliberately (?) written so densely to the point of being incomprehensible. Makes Heiddiger and Dilthey read like doctor Seusse (ok, not really) but yeah, some of those must be from 1st year Philosophy students trying to flex their vocabulary but just bumbling through ridiculous word salads and references that no one gets. Plus not every death-grind or album really needs to be analyzed in the context of Euclidian Philosophy. 

I tease, I usually love their monthly short reviews and best of the month lists.

I'll have to look at their monthly reviews, then. I've mostly come them to get some beta on an album I might be interested in and start one of the reviews and have a -wtf moment-like just give me the skinny about the album without the doctoral thesis. It's just metal, sure there are some heady ideas here and there but it's not all existential Nietzsche or Sartre theory-except maybe some of those DSO lyrics-I'll give you a pass there-haha