Random metal thoughts

Dead1

6 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Discovered following metal website which is actually kind of cool (in a world where 90% of metal sites piss me off):

http://www.worshipmetal.com/

Lots of old and occasionally obscure stuff plus a bit of new.

They really have the hard hitting stories.

10 best old time UK thrash bands.

Why Reign in Blood is not the best thrash album

50 albums that equal anything the big 4 did

But one thing that truly shits me (and this site is not the first to do it) is the way they split stories across pages. Sure the idea of having a popular webpage is to keep viewers on the site but the article for 6 reasons why Reign in Blood is not the best thrash album covers 7 fucking pages! It might be different if there was substance on each page but there isn't, there is about 3 paragraphs.

3 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

They really have the hard hitting stories.

10 best old time UK thrash bands.

Why Reign in Blood is not the best thrash album

50 albums that equal anything the big 4 did

But one thing that truly shits me (and this site is not the first to do it) is the way they split stories across pages. Sure the idea of having a popular webpage is to keep viewers on the site but the article for 6 reasons why Reign in Blood is not the best thrash album covers 7 fucking pages! It might be different if there was substance on each page but there isn't, there is about 3 paragraphs.

I like the best of older obscure metal stuff cause I find out new old bands I might have missed.

Didn't look at the Reign in Blood article until you mentioned it.  It's essentially a review which is fine.  

I think the multiple pages is to generate add revenue - I see this done a lot even on political science and international affairs publications like the National Interest.

Most metal websites don't feature hard hitting articles.  They're all essentially click bait. - Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Revolver, Invisible Oranges etc etc.

I hate Angry Metal Guy because the reviews just waffle on and I hate Heavy Blog cause it really isn't about metal anymore and also has that element of pretention AMG has.

The only other metal blog/site I like is Your Last Rites.

https://yourlastrites.com/

The best articles around are still Zero Tolerance and Decibel mags.  Both are well written, reasonably well edited and feature some great content.  

Only problems are Zero Tolerance uses tiny font that I struggle to read even with my jacked up new prescription and Decibel is unavailable in Australia but I do go on their online site.

11 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

I think the multiple pages is to generate add revenue - I see this done a lot even on political science and international affairs publications like the National Interest.

Ad revenue doesn't work like that these days, they've got a lot more clever in delivering ads. It's a throw back from the old days of webpage making, and Wordpress encourage it because they are still stuck in the 90's, create content, more content, more Google visits, more traffic, higher ranking. But even Google is smart enough to see through that these days.

13 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

Most metal websites don't feature hard hitting articles.  They're all essentially click bait. - Metal Sucks, Metal Injection, Revolver, Invisible Oranges etc etc.

This is true and I will look through that site more but right now all I'm seeing is someone writing a blog. Little substance all opinion. Again there is nothing wrong with that but it's not really comparable to other sites you mention that actually do have news articles no matter how bad they are or loose the term news is. Realistically "Six reasons why Reign In Blood is not the greatest thrash record ever" or "10 Of The Greatest Old-School British THRASH Albums Known To Man!" are as much a clickbait link as any of the news/opinion sites. The only thing the site doesn't have that other sites have is user comments, they are turned off via Wordpress, but that's fair enough comment sections are usually just a shit fight of people hating on the topic anyway.

I don't tend to read any of the news sites these days, although I'll check out the others you mention at some stage. Journalism in general is bullshit world over and the fact that it's so easy to start a 'news' site and tell people your opinion is the one they should believe makes more idiots think they know what they are doing.

23 minutes ago, AlSymerz said:

Yeah the 10 thrash acts from the UK has prompted me to look back at some old albums.

slammer, xentrix, acid reign and re-animator are the only super thrashy british bands i can think of. all the others i know of that come to mind such as english dogs, broken bones, concrete sox, amebix and onslaught are a more punky type crossover thrash

31 minutes ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

slammer, xentrix, acid reign and re-animator are the only super thrashy british bands i can think of. all the others i know of that come to mind such as english dogs, broken bones, concrete sox, amebix and onslaught are a more punky type crossover thrash

Also Sabbat, early Skyclad and Onslaught.  The Exploited got more metally later on in their career.

Onslaught were the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

Sub-genres are useful my Victorian friend. Yes Thrash is Thrash but The Accused and DRI are very different from Overkill and Artillery. Actually the labels if you’re trying to recommend bands to someone who doesn’t normally play metal. If I just blindly, pardon, the pun, picked a band from my collection chances are it’s not accessible for casual listeners. Limit that to Trad. Metal or Power Metal amd the odds are in my favour

Sub genres are a PITA.

A person comes along as says "Here's my top 10 albums in X genre". Then 10 people have to try and prove they know more by correcting them and telling them which albums don't fit in that genre. Then 10 more people come along and agree with half of that and disagree with the other half.

Fuck sub genres, I don't need to know The Accused and Overkill fit into two different wheelhouses for someone, tell me they are thrash and I'll listen to both and decide what I like. I don't need to know that something GG posts and something Serpentboi posts are in the same genre, I'll listen to them and make up my own mind whether I want to hear them again.

I get that some people need and want titles to sort their music in and that's great for them but it's so boring and clichéd to constantly see people corrected for not using a genre title that someone else does.

3 hours ago, Dead1 said:

Also Sabbat, early Skyclad and Onslaught.  The Exploited got more metally later on in their career.

Onslaught were the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

i mentioned onslaught. not surprised about onslaught being on the list when i got around to looking at it. onslaught are for sure one of the biggest names in england's thrash metal scene. was stoked as well as surprised to see acid reign and slammer make the list. both underrated thrash acts in my opinion. haven't listened to british sabbat. have only listened to the sabbat from japan

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Sub genres are a PITA.

A person comes along as says "Here's my top 10 albums in X genre". Then 10 people have to try and prove they know more by correcting them and telling them which albums don't fit in that genre. Then 10 more people come along and agree with half of that and disagree with the other half.

Fuck sub genres, I don't need to know The Accused and Overkill fit into two different wheelhouses for someone, tell me they are thrash and I'll listen to both and decide what I like. I don't need to know that something GG posts and something Serpentboi posts are in the same genre, I'll listen to them and make up my own mind whether I want to hear them again.

I get that some people need and want titles to sort their music in and that's great for them but it's so boring and clichéd to constantly see people corrected for not using a genre title that someone else does.

Well I’m going to maintain my boring cliche existance because labels keep my sane. Cthulhu says I’m not allowed to go crazy again after the last time…

2 hours ago, Serpentboi1992 said:

i mentioned onslaught. not surprised about onslaught being on the list when i got around to looking at it. onslaught are for sure one of the biggest names in england's thrash metal scene. was stoked as well as surprised to see acid reign and slammer make the list. both underrated thrash acts in my opinion. haven't listened to british sabbat. have only listened to the sabbat from japan

Sorry I missed Onslaught!

3 hours ago, AlSymerz said:

Sub genres are a PITA.

What you describe in your second paragraph is known as having a discussion. Which seems to me to be the purpose of a forum like this, a place where anyone can come and add their two cents worth to the discussion. When you're on a metal forum, and especially when you go on threads where the topic heading mentions a specific sub-genre, you can bet your boots people will be debating whether various bands qualify as that sub-genre or not. Don't let this bother you Orca. Feel free to opt out of sub-genre debates if they bore you or make you feel threatened or chastised or ignorant or uncomfortable. You claim these sub-genres are not even properly defined, but that's what all this discussion is about Orca, we're trying to properly define them.

No one is demanding you subscribe to their personal standards of sub-genre categorization, you are free to categorize your music anyway you want or not at all if that's what you prefer. Listening to music without regard for genres is a perfectly acceptable way to go about this if that's how you want to do it. Maybe the only three sub-genres you'll ever need are thrash, not thrash and who gives a shit. So be it. But to expect the entire metal loving world to give up discussing/debating sub-genres and to let go of the ridiculous pedantic need many of us have to pigeonhole every band into one sub-genre category or another just because you may find it pointless or boring or offensive seems a bit silly to me. You sound like Don Quixote tilting at windmills out here.

Like it or not metal sub-genres do exist, and I think it's safe to say they are here to stay. At least until Jon-O's prophesied societal collapse is imminent and we find more pressing concerns occupying our thoughts. You can either get with the program and learn at least the basics of what the various sub-genres mean (which could even have the added benefit of helping you to communicate more effectively with your metal forum peers) or you can continue to completely disregard them, it's totally up to you. But to expect the rest of us to all abandon our generally agreed upon concepts of sub-genres that have been defined and clarified and redefined over the last several decades just to accomodate your peculiar way of thinking is every bit as silly and unrealistic as it would be for us to expect you to bend to our will and accept our sub-genre definitions as law.

1 hour ago, AlSymerz said:

If you can't see the difference between having a discussion and what I described then you really haven't read what I said, you've read what you thought I said. But as I also said, each to their own, I have no intentions of trying to change the way people think.

Orca: "A person comes along as says "Here's my top 10 albums in X genre". Then 10 people have to try and prove they know more by correcting them and telling them which albums don't fit in that genre. Then 10 more people come along and agree with half of that and disagree with the other half."

Alright then, it seems you're going with the old "you haven't read what I said" defense. I've read the 3 sentences in question several times now sir and think I have a pretty good grasp. To me you have perfectly described a multi-party discussion as can typically be found on most any music forum I've ever been a part of.

I get that you don't like what you perceive as being "corrected," but what I'm saying Vic is don't look at it as being corrected, just look at it as other knowledgeable forum members contributing their valuable and incisive input to the group discussion. The more differing viewpoints being presented, the better the discussion. You're always free to consider and then to accept or reject anyone's input, or to counter their opinions with your own. Or even to ignore their input altogether. But it doesn't seem reasonable for any of us to think that everyone should always see things the same way we do on every subject that comes up and then when they don't to get annoyed that they're challenging, disputing or "correcting" us. 

my earlier comment was simply an observation on the u.k's thrash scene. if i came off as acting like a know it all and pissed anyone off, i am sorry. that was not my intention. i certainly don't believe i know more than others. after looking at the list, i can confirm i don't. there were some bands on there i hadn't heard of before. perhaps i shouldn't have said anything? i will admit i am a socially awkward person who doesn't always know when to be quiet 

I couldn't be fucked keeping this BS going, but I can't have you thinking you've upset someone, or me. What I stated wasn't aimed at you, sure you mentioned sub genres but you weren't telling anyone they were wrong, you even used the term 'super thrashy'! From now on I'm only going to accept two genres of thrash, thrash and super thrash.