Random metal thoughts

Dead1

On 9/28/2023 at 8:22 AM, Dead1 said:

Women complaining they have to work "twice as hard to get recognition in metal."

And they now have special awards for women in heavy music.

https://wallofsoundau.com/2023/09/28/heavy-metal-reigns-at-the-australian-women-in-music-awards-conference-2023/?fbclid=IwAR3yq4T6pP60LhGh4ohsu6NNr7HCd3q5Z1gXOrs57Su5EJ4KgA6pz3PI9vo

This is fucking ridiculous.  

No women don't have to work twice as hard as men.  If your music sucks or is derivative it makes no difference if you have a dick or a pussy or whatever.

Have you considered the possibility that "working twice as hard" not just refers to the actual work but also the fact that women most likely have a lot less degrees of freedom when it comes to presentation, skill and persistance than men? Meaning that there's very little room for them to mess up, not look perfectly presentable at all times, not have a "bad night", not being to drunk, too loud without being judged or dismissed. As well as enduring countless times being viewed as a piece of meat before reaching a level of success where they are acknowledged for their accomplishments. If a dude is a shitty singer it's on him. If a woman fucks up, it's implied that it reflects poorly on all woman. So yeah, I'd say women, still, has more of an uphill battle then men to succeed in metal. Just because men are the norm and women are considered "the other", a quaint novety.

As such, I see no problem with special awards for women. All awards are meh anyway. And if it brings more rolemodels to young girls and women, why not? Where's the harm?

2 hours ago, Sheol said:

Have you considered the possibility that "working twice as hard" not just refers to the actual work but also the fact that women most likely have a lot less degrees of freedom when it comes to presentation, skill and persistance than men? Meaning that there's very little room for them to mess up, not look perfectly presentable at all times, not have a "bad night", not being to drunk, too loud without being judged or dismissed. As well as enduring countless times being viewed as a piece of meat before reaching a level of success where they are acknowledged for their accomplishments. If a dude is a shitty singer it's on him. If a woman fucks up, it's implied that it reflects poorly on all woman. So yeah, I'd say women, still, has more of an uphill battle then men to succeed in metal. Just because men are the norm and women are considered "the other", a quaint novety.

As such, I see no problem with special awards for women. All awards are meh anyway. And if it brings more rolemodels to young girls and women, why not? Where's the harm?

I'd second most of this. Also the female metal musicians I've talked to have mentioned how they were often pushed towards playing more "acceptable" instruments like piano or violin, and in some cases outright forbidden (by their parents) from playing guitar or drums. Yes, I know boys also sometimes get told that they're not allowed to listen to that devil music, but none of them get steered away from it simply because they're boys and playing metal is not a boylike thing to do. Maybe there's something to the idea that metal has a special appeal to young guys navigating their way towards adulthood in the grip of testosterone, too, but that's not the whole picture.

On 9/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, navybsn said:

Well, got the word today that I got a significant promotion. Moving up to the Deputy Nurse Exec for my healthcare system. I'm not sure what they've done putting a dirty hesher in a position like that, but they're about to find out. Huge step up in responsibility and worst of all, I will now have to wear a suit or sport coat to work every day. Where's our resident fashionista @markm when I need him? Not sure about a step up in pay just yet, but I'm going to need something to stock the closet with something other than Archgoat and Vomitor shirts...

Congratulations  and we'll deserved! A couple of fitted blazers, chinos and slick FU shoes and you'll bomber.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:20 AM, FatherAlabaster said:

I'd second most of this. Also the female metal musicians I've talked to have mentioned how they were often pushed towards playing more "acceptable" instruments like piano or violin, and in some cases outright forbidden (by their parents) from playing guitar or drums. Yes, I know boys also sometimes get told that they're not allowed to listen to that devil music, but none of them get steered away from it simply because they're boys and playing metal is not a boylike thing to do. Maybe there's something to the idea that metal has a special appeal to young guys navigating their way towards adulthood in the grip of testosterone, too, but that's not the whole picture.

How many times have you heard, "yeah I liked metal for a minute when I was 16, but I grew out of  it"

1 hour ago, markm said:

How many times have you heard, "yeah I liked metal for a minute when I was 16, but I grew out of  it"

None that I can remember. But the people I talk to about music are all fans and mostly musicians. 

It's nice to see you back around BTW... is kayak season coming to a close? Or do you hit it year round?

On 9/30/2023 at 11:37 PM, FatherAlabaster said:

None that I can remember. But the people I talk to about music are all fans and mostly musicians. 

It's nice to see you back around BTW... is kayak season coming to a close? Or do you hit it year round?

Hey! Somewhat year round depending on how cold a winter we get. Last year MId Atlantic was really warm overall. But it will slow down when daylight savings changes because a lot of the paddling I do is after work when we have daylight until 7 PM. November thru February it scales back. That and I just haven't been buying any new music and much of my 'net interaction revolves around the search for new music. I've sort of checked out this year. List season will prolly perk my interest in some new metal. That said, I haven't lost my taste for metal, more so the hunt for new material. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With regards to extreme vocals, I think one of the most boring things a band can do is have one vocal style especially if it's just low death metal growls with little emphasis on pronunciation.  You need a bit of diversity - not just growls but black metal rasps, shrieks, howls and barks.  It's what made early Carcass so awesome.  

33 minutes ago, Dead1 said:

With regards to extreme vocals, I think one of the most boring things a band can do is have one vocal style especially if it's just low death metal growls with little emphasis on pronunciation.  You need a bit of diversity - not just growls but black metal rasps, shrieks, howls and barks.  It's what made early Carcass so awesome.  

Agree, I love hearing variety and expressiveness. Monotone vocals drag albums down.

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Kiry70721 said:

Hello, do you think that the second album "The Force" by English band Onslaught, released in May 1986, is a NWOBHM, is a not trash metal?

The word you are looking for is thrash metal and yes, The Force is 100% a thrash metal album if there ever was one. They can be overlooked sometimes, but I think the first two Onslaught albums shit all over most of the bay area and German thrash from that mid-80's time period.

19 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

The word you are looking for is thrash metal and yes, The Force is 100% a thrash metal album if there ever was one. They can be overlooked sometimes, but I think the first two Onslaught albums shit all over most of the bay area and German thrash from that mid-80's time period.

Ok. It’s just that at some points the album seemed more like heavy metal to me than thrash metal.

2 minutes ago, Kiry70721 said:

Ok. It’s just that at some points the album seemed more like heavy metal to me than thrash metal.

You must be thinking of Youthanasia haha.

Seriously though a lot of albums can be thought of as having one foot in each of two or sometimes even more different sub-genres. It's not always so cut and dried what sub-genre stuff belongs in, and metalheads will often disagree. So while it's true the vocals on The Force can be high pitched not unlike heavy metal vox at times, that doesn't preclude the album from being thrash, because all the riffage is thrash and that's what really matters. It's definitely more thrash than just about any Megastaine album you could name.

And they certainly weren't the only 80's thrash band to use high-pitched vocals on their albums, or in this case a mix of rougher vocals and high-pitched screams. Slayer basically did the same kinda thing with their vocals in the 80's. Tom used basically half-spoken sort of roughly barked vocals punctuated by some carefully placed high-pitched screams. 

1 hour ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

You must be thinking of Youthanasia haha.

Seriously though a lot of albums can be thought of as having one foot in each of two or sometimes even more different sub-genres. It's not always so cut and dried what sub-genre stuff belongs in, and metalheads will often disagree. So while it's true the vocals on The Force can be high pitched not unlike heavy metal vox at times, that doesn't preclude the album from being thrash, because all the riffage is thrash and that's what really matters. It's definitely more thrash than just about any Megastaine album you could name.

And they certainly weren't the only 80's thrash band to use high-pitched vocals on their albums, or in this case a mix of rougher vocals and high-pitched screams. Slayer basically did the same kinda thing with their vocals in the 80's. Tom used basically half-spoken sort of roughly barked vocals punctuated by some carefully placed high-pitched screams. 

I agree with your opinion. 

I know about Slayer's high screams. They can be heard on "Angel of Death", "Evil Has Boundaries" "Metal Storm" and other songs.

Reiterating, what the goat man said: if vocal style was all that mattered when determining what genre a band belong in children of boredom would be Death Metal. we all know that isn’t the case as the music surrounding those vocals has much more Orite to power metal, also they’re really boring or is that just me?