Why

H34VYM3T4LD4V3

Just seeing if i can find the reason why i used to love it so much and not just like it.
The weird thing is that the reasons I got into metal in the first place (you can read the link if you are looking for that "reinspiration"...but getting that passion for metal back should really be organic and natural in my opinion) are not necessarily the same reasons why I love it today. I only have three reasons, which is more than enough for me! 1) Like those who have posted before me, it is first and foremost the energy and feelings that metal invokes in me that no other music does; 2) As a former pianist, I sometimes felt that precision was more important than feeling in my music. Metal harbours both these qualities. 3) The community - cool people like those in this forum, artists on YT and people at gigs who I would never have talked to were it not for metal. I hope you do find what you are looking for (ugh, sorry that sounds so cheesy). \m/ecca

1. There is always a song in metal that will fit your mood.
That is right indeed. Exactly what I think and also one of the reason I love Metal. No matter how you feel, you can always find a song that suits you. Also I think the possibility of using every kind of instruments is a reason why I love Metal, it can " regroup " almost all other music genres. The lyrics in many band are amazing sometimes. As good as reading poetry ( especially in Doom Metal in my opinion ). And the people, it's a good way to open you to other countries by talking with fans from the other side of the world though the Internet or festivals. I'll always remember how in a festival with friends we shared our food and drinks with two Germans and discovered some specialties of our own countries. So here are five reasons : 1)- The way Metal can act with your feelings and mood. 2 ) - The instruments! ( I discovered many through Metal ). 3)- The variety, Metal is hardly a musical genre but more like the father of a huge musical family. 4)- The lyrics. I always have to read the lyrics or a translation of them. It really is a part of what the song is unlike in other music types ( even if it's good!) 5 ) People! From the fans to some artists who are amazing :D

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 5 Reasons Why You Love Metal

The weird thing is that the reasons I got into metal in the first place (you can read the link if you are looking for that "reinspiration"...but getting that passion for metal back should really be organic and natural in my opinion) are not necessarily the same reasons why I love it today. I only have three reasons, which is more than enough for me! 1) Like those who have posted before me, it is first and foremost the energy and feelings that metal invokes in me that no other music does; 2) As a former pianist, I sometimes felt that precision was more important than feeling in my music. Metal harbours both these qualities. 3) The community - cool people like those in this forum, artists on YT and people at gigs who I would never have talked to were it not for metal. I hope you do find what you are looking for (ugh, sorry that sounds so cheesy). \m/ecca
it's ok mate XD i got over this ages ago but i'll keep that in mind, thanks mate :)

I hope you do find what you are looking for (ugh' date=' sorry that sounds so cheesy).[/quote'] That's because you're quoting U2. I see I haven't participated in this thread...anyhow, this is what I think constitutes good metal: 5. Power. Certainly the most superficial reason to enjoy the music, but a reason nonetheless. A great deal of metal's appeal lies in the fact that it is generally loud and commanding. 4. Sincerity. Metal bands can be known for putting on a show (Manowar, Gwar, Behemoth), but by and large you can expect them to mean what they say on some level. From what I can tell metal songs are generally composed by the band members themselves, which always gives said lyrics a degree of credibility rarely found in popular music. The songs are of course generally angry, but when they're more upbeat there's a good reason why. However, there is one more regard that further serves to distinguish metal from most genres with regard to lyrics...but that comes later. 3. Universality. Anyone can become a metal musician provided they produce some quality music. Indeed, it is encouraged for metalheads hailing from stranger shores to bring their own unique bent to the music, but if they've a style that they like and want to perform well there's nothing stopping them from that either. 2. Quality. No matter where a band comes from they can expect to be judged by their musical merit. A metal band is generally required to produce music that is good on some level, be it technical, melodic, gloomy, epic, strange, ambient, etc. Of course there are standouts to the rule, but by and large metal bands get well-regarded for their talent, not for star power or image. 1. Depth. Fundamentally there are solid criteria by which the quality of the music can be judged, but most important is the knowledge the many of these bands possess. Sometimes it's musical, other times philosophical, historical, mythological or personal, but metal distinguishes itself from other genres by its ability to address mature topics credibly. This places it ahead of the acoustic guitar ballad and bland alternative music. Overall, its depth is what fundamentally pushes metal to the epoch of musical quality.

• 3 months later...

1. Emotion - I have songs for every emotion I go through, from happy to sad to angry. Alot of my friends and family can feel what mood I am in from my music. Music is my therapist! 2. Gigs! - That pure adrenaline rush, enjoying every minute and going mental with friends and meeting new people. Singing along at the top of my voice. :) 3. Intruments - Watching the band play is hypnotic in itself, I am now learning the drums. 4. Variety - The vast amounts of different sub genres is amazing and each individual band brings something new to the table. Always something to listen to and new bands/songs to discover. 5. Community - Meeting people who are in to the same music tastes as yourself, having respect for one another no matter what bands they like or don't like. It is like a huge family.

The energy in metal can't be matched by any other genre. After getting introduced to metal, listening to rock or pretty much any other genre got boring really fast. Metal also has no boundaries. There's a reason why there are so many subgenres. Generally playing metal takes a considerable amount of talent. I KNOW THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS! The metal community is also generally pretty awesome. People (like myself) are generally very passionate about metal and are eager to discuss favorite bands and whatnot with fellow metalheads.

A simple discussion into the reasoning of our kind(metalhead) and why we like the music we do. Simply post a reason why you like the metal you listen to and why you think other metalheads listen to metal. You can also add why you like metal and what got you into it. Me i've been listening to Thrash metal since I was little I just didn't know it at the time. I grew up listening to this type of music and soon I diversified my musical interest and move on to extreme music. I personally enjoy the emotions it just seemingly conjures from nowhere and have had this happen to me from any other music.

I got into it years ago. It jusy happened. Heard a metal band like Iron Maiden and it went from there. Used to listen to a lot of glam metal like Poison and stuff like that but eventually I evolved and started listening to heavier stuff.

Re: Why Nothing else really communicates with me the way metal does. Something about the raw and visceral nature of it taps into my emotions and speaks to me in ways most other music does not. There is plenty of great music out there from other genres, but I crave metal most of the time. Out of nearly 2000 albums, I would say that maybe only 50-100 aren't metal or metal related. Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

I remember my father sitting in his shed out the back of our house listening to his LP collection while he got stoned, probably my first introduction to bands like Iron maiden, Def Leppard and Alice Cooper, My mother on the other hand would quite often sew while listening to The Cure, The Psychedelic Furs, Bauhaus and Joy Division, Personally I have always loved anything with a hint of "darkness" to it, I found it hard to make friends at school but it never bothered me too much as I always had my music, But I have made wonderful friends through metal and the metal scene in general, lifers I guess and I love that when we talk of our friendships there is always an album or song that kick started it.

My cousin introduced me to metal when I was 12-13. The first metal song I ever heard was Pantera's The Art Of Shredding and I just remember thinking "yes, this is the music for me". Something about it just resonates with me in such a meaningful way that I don't know what my life would be without metal. I do listen to and enjoy other genres of music. Some of my favourite artists aren't even metal such as Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, The Who and Bach but I get a feeling from metal that these other artists just can't match.

Oh i grew up with bands like AC/DC and Scorpions. Then Attended a Metallica concert at the age of 9 and well i guess that's the place all began. Took me many years to appreciate extreme metal but when i finally got stuck there are simply no way of turning back. I get abstinence when i haven't heard certain albums for too long.

I have been in to metal for around 8 years - I started off with System of a Down/Metallica, afterwards I listed to In Flames (Still listing to the bands mentioned, but Metallica) and it just continued onwards after that. I like metal because it gives me something that I do not get from any other gerne of music. It makes my hair stand up at the back of my neck when it is really good. I think other metalheads listens to it because of the same reasons I do.

Well yes and no. Many metalheads do listen to the music because of the feelings it evokes however I don't think that is the sole reason behind metal's enduring popularity (it is important to note by popularity I do not mean mainstream success but rather it retains a large following to this day which can not be said of most "outsider" music). For example I listen to metal because of the feeling I get from the music however I also listen to it because of the community behind it. Metalheads disagree a lot about bands but we are still united by our passion for this magnificent music. This unity is appealing to me particularly given my absolute lack of faith in the human race as a species looking at the true sense of community shared by metalheads gives me some small hope that perhaps our species is not doomed to bring about its own destruction.

Well yes and no. Many metalheads do listen to the music because of the feelings it evokes however I don't think that is the sole reason behind metal's enduring popularity (it is important to note by popularity I do not mean mainstream success but rather it retains a large following to this day which can not be said of most "outsider" music). For example I listen to metal because of the feeling I get from the music however I also listen to it because of the community behind it. Metalheads disagree a lot about bands but we are still united by our passion for this magnificent music. This unity is appealing to me particularly given my absolute lack of faith in the human race as a species looking at the true sense of community shared by metalheads gives me some small hope that perhaps our species is not doomed to bring about its own destruction.
Now that I think about it that's probably one of the main reasons I've stuck with the metal scene, the fact it contains so much brotherhood, we are all united through individuality. Not all of us like the same sub-genre of metal but we all still get along and consider ourselves family to each other. It's a very personal community based on acceptance of others and their views.

When I was a kid, most of the stations carried classic rock. I started getting into that. It led me into other things, different radio shows which had outright metal. Radio was much more diverse before everything went corporate (at least in my country). There were lots of college and independent stations. I picked up a lot of types of music from them. Then I started looking for new things at the record store. This got me into Iron Maiden, Slayer, Priest, Dio and so forth. Also, I heard music from friends. People used to bring tapes to school and I went nuts when I heard "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath. Still one of my favorite albums. :)

Now that I think about it that's probably one of the main reasons I've stuck with the metal scene' date=' the fact it contains so much brotherhood, we are all united through individuality. Not all of us like the same sub-genre of metal but we all still get along and consider ourselves family to each other. It's a very personal community based on acceptance of others and their views.[/quote'] I can't say that I feel the same. I'm sure it's better elsewhere, but in my community there is no brotherhood, despite there being a decent amount of fans and bands in the scene. Most people are friends of convenience, while talking shit behind each other's backs. I post on forums because I want to talk about metal, but don't really feel like dealing with scene politics.

The impression I get when speaking to other metal heads is that we're like a massive dysfunctional family. We don't appear to get along to the outside world but really there's a more meaningful connection beneath the surface. In my experience it is only the obvious scene-kids who stir up trouble whilst more seasoned headbangers can just talk metal and though opinions may vary greatly it is still generally a pleasant discussion