What Are You Listening To?

khaos

35 minutes ago, markm said:

Gave that Mantar a go. Not really my thing. Perfectly competent but not for me. I perhaps formed a prejudice before even listening because their bandcamp said they don't use bass. 

Nope. I am afraid my metal orthodoxy simply does not allow such deviant behaviour.  Metal is rock n' roll and rock n' roll has to have bass, drums and guitar*. You can add whatever else you want, who am I to judge, but outside that box it isn't metal. 

*I suppose in rock n' roll you could substitute guitar for piano, but that is not metal either.

Since it is the season for it, hunting for best of lists and directional prompts I found:

The Best Metal Albums of 2022 - Album of The Year

Scanning through I tried the number 1, Kardashev - Liminal Rite, hoping to find a Deafheaven substitute, because they suck now, but alas that didn't tickle my undercarriage neither. The one that I am trying out presently is:

The Harvest | MWWB | Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (bandcamp.com)

This sounds more in my wheelhouse. A little like Dunwich. And UK based so they might play local. I love the band name even though it is close to my side project Wizard Witch Void King Thunder Bitch.

I will also give Watain a go since, believe it or not, I have barely heard them. Simply known to me as that popular Swedish satanic band that I assumed was a bit like Behemoth.

I see Chat Pile turning up all over the place, so that is probably enough of a reason to peek.

Will also try out the following for a bit of multiculturalism:

Rakshak | Bloodywood (bandcamp.com)

The cover art is awesome but infuriating for reasons I won't go into.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

Abigor - Nachthymnen - liking this. Honestly, I haven't heard anything from these guys in quite some time. I'm getting some later Emperor vibes from this (Anthems/Equilibrium). Will spend some time with this one.

Nachthymnen rules. My fave of their 90s stuff. It's all pretty badass though. Their album Totschläger from a couple years ago is great, more along these melodic lines than some of their other recent albums - I still wake up with riffs from that one stuck in my head. Might be a bit busy for you but it's worth a few spins to see if it clicks.

11 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Two tusks, one trunk... lame. No real competition.

10 minutes ago, JonoBlade said:

Gave that Mantar a go. Not really my thing. Perfectly competent but not for me. I perhaps formed a prejudice before even listening because their bandcamp said they don't use bass. 

Nope. I am afraid my metal orthodoxy simply does not allow such deviant behaviour.  Metal is rock n' roll and rock n' roll has to have bass, drums and guitar*. You can add whatever else you want, who am I to judge, but outside that box it isn't metal. 

*I suppose in rock n' roll you could substitute guitar for piano, but that is not metal either.

Since it is the season for it, hunting for best of lists and directional prompts I found:

The Best Metal Albums of 2022 - Album of The Year

Scanning through I tried the number 1, Kardashev - Liminal Rite, hoping to find a Deafheaven substitute, because they suck now, but alas that didn't tickle my undercarriage neither. The one that I am trying out presently is:

The Harvest | MWWB | Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard (bandcamp.com)

This sounds more in my wheelhouse. A little like Dunwich. And UK based so they might play local. I love the band name even though it is close to my side project Wizard Witch Void King Thunder Bitch.

I will also give Watain a go since, believe it or not, I have barely heard them. Simply known to me as that popular Swedish satanic band that I assumed was a bit like Behemoth.

I see Chat Pile turning up all over the place, so that is probably enough of a reason to peek.

Will also try out the following for a bit of multiculturalism:

Rakshak | Bloodywood (bandcamp.com)

I'm a bit of a list junkie too. I like reading lists to see what other people are talking about. I typically avoid AMG, so I haven't checked their stuff in a few years. Some of the sites I've seen this year with better EOTY lists:

Home - CVLT Nation - nice variation broken down by subgenre

NO CLEAN SINGING - PROPAGATING DARK AND DEVASTATING TONES SINCE 2009 - lots of different lists and a few from artists

Nine Circles – Death to the Feeble Masses - same vein as NCS but less volume

My own personal list is fairly set at this point, at least the selections that will end up on the list, but my "I need to listen to" list is getting out of control. It's at 25 now and growing every day. When we start putting our lists up here, I expect that will hit 50 if not more.

Djevel - Naa Skrider Natten Sort, Norway. Majestic but yet straight-forward Nordic black metal. Took me awhile to warm up to these guys because they're not exactly raw and filthy. I'm getting Emperor vibes here, but slower, less chaotic and without the keys if that makes any sense. Emperor without all the things I don't like about Emperor. Then I saw Faust was the drummer so that might actually make some sense. Surprisingly, I see I have 4 of their 8 full lengths (counting this one) but this year's was the one that really won me over. I've had it about a month (Thanksgiving weekend) but til now I hadn't listened to it since the day I bought it. It's an hour long but still I don't want it to end. I might even let it go again. On the list it goes.

Sonja-Loud Arriver-giving this one another go

White Ward-False Light

Negative Plane-The Pact

Phobophilic -Enveloping Absurdity-I'm not finding anything remarkable about this while hitting all the usual hallmarks that have been hit time and time again without any special sauce for me-just another perfectly fine OSDM platter....

Darkher-The Buried Storm-One of my favorite melo metal adjacent albums of the year which I intend to finally pick up at year's end.....doom meets dark folk

Darkher - The Buried Storm, UK. I figured there'd a be a chick singer involved, but ok sure why not, I think I could go for some dark folky doom right about now so let's go...(10 minutes later)...Alright I'm gonna have to abort, must have missed the part about them not being metal. There's no guitar riffs or much of anything happening here, it's largely just ambient and minimalist with the chick singing. She has a nice voice and all, but I'm not a big fan of ambient. I don't want to have to fill in some missing guitar parts with my imagination, I'd prefer them to bring in an actaul guitar player for that.

Serpentfyre  - Baptism of Shadows, Finland, back to my originally scheduled black metal.