What Are You Listening To?

khaos

22 hours ago, Nasty_Cabbage said:

Excellent late era Candlemass. The lyrics are very discernable and it's fairly obvious that they're not as refined and agonized over as Lief likes to do. I'm not really a lyrics guy, but I mention this one in passing just because I think freeing him from hard meter counts really opened up the variety present here musically. Marcolin is... well he's Marcolin for better or worse. He sounds like he's lost a little diaphragm control, and from what I can surmise from interviews it seems like he was butting heads with everybody and generally causing a lot of headaches for the band during recording. Seems like it ceased to be worthwhile to work with him. It's really unfortunate as one album later Mr. Lowe's alcohol dependency was bringing it's own set of problems. That said I've just never really warmed to King of the Grey Islands as it really lacks a lot of the nimble musical impact found on this one.

NP: Maimed - Propagate Onslaught

▶︎ Propagate Onslaught | Maimed (bandcamp.com)

a2429348318_10.jpg

Death in the vein of Fleshcrawl and Cannibal Corpse. The kind of album that's never going to usurp the titles of the genre greats, but is handy, capable, and confident enough to merit a spot in the collection to break things up.

EDIT: Oh, and to clarify, even though I love album art in the hand-drawn amateur style, this cover is just bad. They look like they're picking up snacks for a superbowl party at the death metal flea market. Too much to the point where I'm not 100% sure of what I'm looking at. What's the idea? What are these decidedly unmundane creatures actually doing here outside of the mundane? Reminds me a little of the Omen cover for Battle Cry.

It really is an excellent album!  And, for me, it would rank right about #10 in the catalog, but that's just how great the whole catalog is.  And I absolutely love "King of the Grey Islands".  It's my favorite album with Lowe on vocals, and it's in my top 5 Candlemass albums.  It's an especially punishing atmosphere the entire way through.  "Destroyer" is one of my favorite Candlemass songs - never fails to deliver!

Candlemass - "King of the Grey Islands"

Candlemass - "Death Magic Doom"

Love these guys!

2 hours ago, JamesT said:

It really is an excellent album!  And, for me, it would rank right about #10 in the catalog, but that's just how great the whole catalog is.  And I absolutely love "King of the Grey Islands".  It's my favorite album with Lowe on vocals, and it's in my top 5 Candlemass albums.  It's an especially punishing atmosphere the entire way through.  "Destroyer" is one of my favorite Candlemass songs - never fails to deliver!

Candlemass - "King of the Grey Islands"

Candlemass - "Death Magic Doom"

Love these guys!

I like Grey Islands alright, but for me Death Magic Doom is the real standout of everything past the first 4 albums. Just really solid songwriting front to back. Probably play DMD more than any of their other albums except for the classic debut of course, because who doesn't want to die in Solitude?

Find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that some of you kids weren't even born yet when Epicus came out in June of '86. A real game changer that one was, I didn't have any experience with doom metal before that unless you wanna count Sabbath as doom metal. That record was on repeat all summer. Until Reign in Blood came out a few months later in the fall anyway, then that became my obsession. So many killer records came out that year, wish you could've been there with me JT, you would've loved the 80's.

NP: Candlemass - Nightfall, 1987

35 minutes ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

So many killer records came out that year, wish you could've been there with me JT, you would've loved the 80's.

The 80's were the shit. Definitely my favorite decade so far. 

Today - all Priest all day. Going to see the current tour Sunday night (this weekend is a doozy - Gatecreeper/Creeping Death Saturday, Priest on Sunday, and MDF coming up on Wednesday). So I'm starting with Rocka Rolla and going chronologically through the catalog.

Ifernach - The Green Enchanted Forest of the Druid Wizard, Quebec 2020

Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore, Toronto 2000

47 minutes ago, navybsn said:

The 80's were the shit. Definitely my favorite decade so far. 

Today - all Priest all day. Going to see the current tour Sunday night (this weekend is a doozy - Gatecreeper/Creeping Death Saturday, Priest on Sunday, and MDF coming up on Wednesday). So I'm starting with Rocka Rolla and going chronologically through the catalog.

You was just a little kid in the 80's, bro!

I could not take a whole day full of Rob Halford. I think two Pweest albums would be about my limit, and even that'd be pushing it. But have fun dude.

Wish I could meet up with you again in Baltimore next week my friend, but babysitting has really become an issue these last couple of years, so no can do. Little dude's actually home from school today with a sore throat and a 102° fever, strangely reminiscent of 2022 when I was all set to put him on the school bus and then hit the road for Baltimore that Friday morning, until he woke up with a fever that day which he had given to me as well by Saturday, so I had to eat my tix.

NP: Tongues - Formlose Stjerner

▶︎ Formløse Stjerner | TONGUES | I, Voidhanger Records (bandcamp.com)

a0011031774_10.jpg

Here's one I missed from last year. Shame because it's really good. Like a lot of [subgenre]/doom mixtures it rewards patience. Not to say that it's studying music (and thinking about it now, I don't know what studying metal would even be. Pelican, maybe if we're including the post stuff?). The doom keeps it's slow and low character while throwing in some black metal type of chord progressions and even shockingly soulful solos. 

5 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Ifernach - The Green Enchanted Forest of the Druid Wizard, Quebec 2020

Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore, Toronto 2000

You was just a little kid in the 80's, bro!

I could not take a whole day full of Rob Halford. I think two Pweest albums would be about my limit, and even that'd be pushing it. But have fun dude.

Wish I could meet up with you again in Baltimore next week my friend, but babysitting has really become an issue these last couple of years, so no can do. Little dude's actually home from school today with a sore throat and a 102° fever, strangely reminiscent of 2022 when I was all set to put him on the school bus and then hit the road for Baltimore that Friday morning, until he woke up with a fever that day which he had given to me as well by Saturday, so I had to eat my tix.

I'll turn a few up for you brother. If anyone else is heading to MDF, hit me up.

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is 5 days on my feet. Between now and Hell's Heroes in March, I've developed some foot pain that I can't seem to shake. So I'll be heavily medicating to get through the week. A smarter man would find more appropriate things to do with my free time, but I've not often been accused of being very smart.

11 in 1986, so yeah just a kid. An impressionable yute when all the good shit started to hit. And did it hit. Probably why in the intervening almost 40 years I've never really been able to shake drive for the extreme side of the musical landscape.

2 hours ago, navybsn said:

11 in 1986, so yeah just a kid. An impressionable yute when all the good shit started to hit.

This was me in 1991. I could say the stuff I heard a few years later had more of an impact, or stuck with me for longer, but the groundwork was laid when I was about 11. We had just moved into yet another new place and I discovered MTV and boom.

I guess 11 is about the age when a lot of us become musically aware. Not that we don't listen to any music before that, but before 11 you're just hearing stuff here and there, would've been on the radio probably back in the day, or shit from your parents' collection or wherever, but 11-ish is where you start to develop your own musical interests and want to start collecting your own albums. I turned 11 in '72 so my options were pretty limited as far as heavy music went. NY radio back then was obsessed with soft-cock singer songwriter crap, James Taylor, Elton John, Springsteen & Paul Simon...so even something we now think of as fairly innocuous like Zeppelin was relegated to 2am rogue DJs, other than Stairway of course, they were just too hard to get any daytime airplay. That had changed somewhat by the 80's, but I was grown by then and could drive to the local independent record store. Still jealous you guys had metal in high school though.

NP: Magick Howl - Doom Axis, Spain

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I like Grey Islands alright, but for me Death Magic Doom is the real standout of everything past the first 4 albums. Just really solid songwriting front to back. Probably play DMD more than any of their other albums except for the classic debut of course, because who doesn't want to die in Solitude?

Find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that some of you kids weren't even born yet when Epicus came out in June of '86. A real game changer that one was, I didn't have any experience with doom metal before that unless you wanna count Sabbath as doom metal. That record was on repeat all summer. Until Reign in Blood came out a few months later in the fall anyway, then that became my obsession. So many killer records came out that year, wish you could've been there with me JT, you would've loved the 80's.

NP: Candlemass - Nightfall, 1987

Can't argue with the greatness that is "Death Magic Doom"!  I listened to that one all the way through at the gym this morning at 5:30 a.m.  It helped tremendously with the workout.  "Hammer of Doom" is just an incredible track - probably my favorite one.  Robert Lowe had the perfect voice for Candlemass as a replacement for Messiah after the 2005 self-titled album.  His other main band, Solitude Aeturnus is some great epic doom as well - not on the same level as Candlemass but really good stuff nonetheless.  

I wish I had been there with you in the 80's as well, my friend!  To have gotten to see the debut of the greatest thrash band of all time - "Feel the Fire" in 1985 - and to see Metallica's classic era, as well as legendary Judas Priest albums like "British Steel", "Screaming for Vengeance", and "Defenders of the Faith", the list could go on for days!  Three of my top six AC/DC albums came out in the 80's - "Back in Black", "For Those About to Rock", and "Flick of the Switch".  And just to witness the rise and domination of thrash in that decade would have been amazing.  Heck, just 1986 would have been stellar to live through, going to all of those shows.  That year, alone, gave us "Master of Puppets", "Reign in Blood", "Darkness Descends", "Pleasure to Kill", and "Doomsday for the Deceiver"!  The 80's also saw "Heaven and Hell", "Holy Diver", "Ace of Spades", "Number of the Beast", "Piece of Mind".....sorry, I almost blacked out.  A lot of you metal brothers were around back then and undoubtedly have very fond memories of metal's greatest decade, so I just figured it would be fun to toss out a slew of albums that came out before my time.  I wish I had been there, because I would have gotten to see so many incredible live shows - no stupid smart phones in the air everywhere - just metalheads thoroughly enjoying being present in the moment and taking it all in.  I'd welcome any and all memories any of you guys want to share so I can live vicariously through you!

NP:  Candlemass - "Psalms for the Dead" (2012)

Just to say it one more time - I love me some Candlemass!

I don't think any Aussies kid can say they discovered anything from MTV, especially metal kids. MTV didn't start here until '87, it was aired at no set time on a Friday and Saturday night for about 3 hours contained mostly American Top 40 stuff and ran for only 6 years. There was local competitions but they were all "send a stamp addressed envelope with the answer on the back to.." type comps and there was local presenter that pretty much just repeated what he saw on the US version but with a kiwi accent. They had one metal section where they reported 2 items of news and played 3 video clips, mostly of hard rock stuff, rarely did they get heavier than Megadeth and Slayer and it wasn't on every week. It wasn't until pay tv started in about 96 that MTV even came back and even there it still wasn't a 24 hour channel initially.

3 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

I guess 11 is about the age when a lot of us become musically aware. Not that we don't listen to any music before that, but before 11 you're just hearing stuff here and there, would've been on the radio probably back in the day, or shit from your parents' collection or wherever, but 11-ish is where you start to develop your own musical interests and want to start collecting your own albums. I turned 11 in '72 so my options were pretty limited as far as heavy music went. NY radio back then was obsessed with soft-cock singer songwriter crap, James Taylor, Elton John, Springsteen & Paul Simon...so even something we now think of as fairly innocuous like Zeppelin was relegated to 2am rogue DJs, other than Stairway of course, they were just too hard to get any daytime airplay. That had changed somewhat by the 80's, but I was grown by then and could drive to the local independent record store. Still jealous you guys had metal in high school though.

NP: Magick Howl - Doom Axis, Spain

My uncle was had friends in a band back in the early 70's and they were always listening to Sabbath, Heep, Zep, Pie and Budgie as a child that was my introduction to heavier music and it was definitely a huge influence in my musical journey.    

Selbst - Despondency Chord Progressions (2024)

A few listens in to this and not as smitten with it as I was Relatos de angustia, this one has too much emphasis on the clean parts for my taste.  When things get more blackened they are superb but there is an element of being showy on this one that previously manifested as an obvious exploration vein.  Having made their discovery (potentially) it doesn't quite land right with me.

Technically impressive with (some) quality song writing going on still.  Just not as cold and unwelcoming as I would like. 

NP: Naxen - Descending Into A Deeper Darkness

▶︎ Descending Into A Deeper Darkness | Naxen | vendetta records (bandcamp.com)

a3671735815_10.jpg

Wow. I was not prepared for this. Was just sort of clicking through stuff to get some black metal to go along with some light gaming on a day off from all the personal and professional chaos of my day to day. This thing has some serious heft. It's not about speed or really any single instrument, but something about the way it's so thoughtfully put together is resonating with me. It's giving me that weird feeling of not being able to single out a specific riff or moment that the listener has been carefully guided toward, but each song itself is a complete unit and a well expressed immaculately coordinated shift in weight by all involved.

I'm definitely willing to entertain the idea that this one just happened to hit me at the right time and place, but I can still appreciate the effect of catching a left hook out of nowhere before I could prepare for impact. In the least favorable reading I could give, it's a very fortunate accident. Might be my soundtrack for the next few days.