What Are You Listening To?

khaos

1 hour ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

I'll second this suggestion. It's not quite as catchy as Dissection were at their best, but what it loses in that department it more than makes up for in depth and quieter shifts in the guitars. For me at least, that creates a ton of replayability.

NP: Fantasma - Abomination of Human Pestilence

▶︎ Abomination of Human Pestilence | Fantasma | Narbentage Produktionen (bandcamp.com)

a0561078477_10.jpg

This one's growing on me. It's only an EP, but it shows a lot of potential.

9 hours ago, Arioch said:

Exodus - Tempo of the Damned (2004)

One of their best albums. Sealed With a Fist is such a banger.

11 hours ago, GoatmasterGeneral said:

Storm of the Light's Bane, 1995

Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy) Sweden 1998

Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer for Evogher, 1994

Unanimated - In Light of Darkness, Sweden 2009

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum, Sweden 2006

Thanks @GoatmasterGeneral. I'm really digging Unanimated - In Light of Darkness. Missing some of the speed of Somberlain but it has those evil riffs I love.

Light's Bane is one of my all time fav albums.

Still gotta check the Necrophobic album.

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

Sarcasm - Burial Dimensions

EDIT: Forgot an obvious one

Thulcandra - Under a Frozen Sun

Thanks @SurgicalBrute. I'll check all these out. It will take several days but I'm well stocked for now. Got a craving for that Dissection sound.

2 hours ago, Necrolord said:

One of their best albums. Sealed With a Fist is such a banger.

Thanks @GoatmasterGeneral. I'm really digging Unanimated - In Light of Darkness. Missing some of the speed of Somberlain but it has those evil riffs I love.

Light's Bane is one of my all time fav albums.

Still gotta check the Necrophobic album.

Thanks @SurgicalBrute. I'll check all these out. It will take several days but I'm well stocked for now. Got a craving for that Dissection sound.

I'd say if you're looking at Unanimated don't skip out on Ancient God of Evil. Great album if not that similar to Dissection. Also, for a more modern equivalent, check out these guys:

Ninkharsag

https://vendetta-records.bandcamp.com/album/the-dread-march-of-solemn-gods

2 hours ago, SurgicalBrute said:

Sorry...know you said you were good for now, but this one absolutely deserves attention

Vinterland - Welcome my Last Chapter

Thanks, I'll give it a spin along with the others. 

And thanks @navybsn for the recs. I'll add those to the list. I'm sure there will be some more awesome stuff to find in addition to that Unanimated album I'm currently enjoying. 

On 4/22/2024 at 4:58 AM, JonoBlade said:

Don't worry man. You'll love it.

I couldn't tell you whether it is more doom or death/doom. It sounds like everything else MDB have done in the last 20 years.

Their output is generally very consistent and a bit interchangeable so I tend to distinguish by production choices. I hated the drum sound on Feel the Misery which is an otherwise decent album. I didn't think the layered vocals on The Ghost of Orion were right for it, even though they sounded good 

I can't fault the production (or at least nothing stands out) on the new one so, since it otherwise still sounds exactly like what I would expect of MDB in 2024, it's a win.

Notable perhaps that I didn't think the lead single/video a few weeks ago was anything special... but I've been enjoying listening to the whole album the last few days.

Excellent news!  I'm just getting around to checking it out, and it's really good upon first listen.  Stainthorpe sounds just as good now as he did on "Turn Loose the Swans", which is remarkable.  I love those 90's albums, especially "Angel and the Dark River" and "Like Gods of the Sun".  "The Light at the End of the World" is also very good.  I'd say "A Line of Deathless Kings" is quite underrated.  My very first exposure to the band was "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light", which remains my favorite MDB album.  You really can't go wrong with any of their material, though!

37 minutes ago, JamesT said:

My very first exposure to the band was "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light", which remains my favorite MDB album.  

That is one of my favorite later MDB albums, too. Turn Loose the Swans and and Angel are pretty hard to beat, tho! 

I've talked about my love of stoner and doom recently. I really don't listen to stoner metal thaaat much anymore but it's a bit like saying I've sworn off from pizza or donuts....uh, it's not a realistic goal.  I guess I'll chalk it down to my affection for a let sleeping dogs lie -genre, but I do trot out some of my favorite gateway stoner and doom albums from time to time, which really are just comfort food listening for me at this point. Today, I did a rewind to the late 90's to a second tier band that despite limitations, deliver the goods:

Solarized/Neanderthal speedway-1999-these Jersey Boy stoners came out with a couple of albums at the turn of the millennium-This one has guests from a couple of Monster Magnet members, most notably stoner guitar hero Ed Mundell and the influence of early Magnet is as subtle as sledge hammer, but for those of us that love early Magnet, that's a good thing. Vocals are straight up weak but the skuzzy heavier than Magnet sound released on Man's Ruin make this throwback to 70's nostalgic thick and grungy rawker a winner for an infrequent but enjoyable groovy spin once in a blue moon.  Next up-2002's Driven.

31 minutes ago, markm said:

That is one of my favorite later MDB albums, too. Turn Loose the Swans and and Angel are pretty hard to beat, tho! 

I’m just not feeling the new one, actually aside from the excellent track and my father left forever on feel the misery I don’t think I’ve enjoyed any of their output since a map of all our failures.

59 minutes ago, markm said:

I've talked about my love of stoner and doom recently. I really don't listen to stoner metal thaaat much anymore but it's a bit like saying I've sworn off from pizza or donuts....uh, it's not a realistic goal.  I guess I'll chalk it down to my affection of a let sleeping dogs lie -genre, but I do trot out some of my favorite gateway albums which really are comfort food for me at this point. Today, I did a rewind to the late 90's to a second tier band that despite limitations, deliver the goods:

Solarized - Neanderthal Speedway  1999 these Jersey Boy stoners came out with a couple of albums at the turn of the millennium-This one has guests from a couple of Monster Magnet members, most notably stoner guitar hero Ed Mundell and the influence of early Magnet is as subtle as sledge hammer, but for those of us that love early Magnet, that's a good thing. Vocals are straight up weak but the skuzzy heavier than Magnet sound released on Man's Ruin make this throwback to 70's nostalgic thick and grungy rawker a winner for an infrequent but enjoyable groovy spin once in a blue moon.  Next up-2002's Driven.

Dude this album is awesome, I fucking love it. And not just because big Ed and the boys are from Red Bank New Jersey. Although that helps, and Ed was after all a founding member of both The Atomic Bitchwax and Monster Magnet, two of my favorite non-extreme rock bands. Even though Ed only guests on three tracks here, it's still a good album, I'm sold. 

Solarized - Neanderthal Speedway, Red Bank NJ 1999

Unida - Coping With the Urban Coyote, another cool stoner rock album from 1999 in much the same vein, featuring John Garcia of Kyuss fame on vox. You're gonna get me on a whole stoner thing now.

1000mods - Repeated Exposure to...   Greece 2016

Lee Van Cleef - Holy Smoke, Italy 2016

Weedcraft - Satan's Weedcraft Heavy Spliffs, Poland 2017. Everything you'd want in a stoner doom album.

Nebula/Lowrider Split, California/Sweden 1999. Mark if you like Fu Manchu you might like Nebula, formed by two guys after leaving Fu in '97.

Hekseblad - Kaer Morhen (2024)

Geralt of Riva roams the trails, holding his trusty Roach by the bridle. Below stands the imposing fortress of Kaer Morhen. Where witchers learn their hard trade of monster slaying.

Let the music begin!

Le Chant Noir - La société satanique des poétes morts (2021)

This Brazilian black metal album was a big hit when it was released. 3 years on, it's still as magical as ever.

Whiskey & Funeral - Thy Malignant (2024)

Italian Blackened Death Metal.

Master - Saints Dispelled (2024)